O.T., So, what else you into?

Posted by: guitpic1

O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/29/18 11:39 AM

Here in Minnesota, weather keeps us housebound from mid/late October to mid/late April....too cold to do much outside. These are the months that find me playing keyboard, trading keyboards and trying to learn new stuff.

Once the weather warms up, April on, my thoughts drift from keyboarding to photography and fishing. This is also the time of year(April - Sept) I think about upgrading cameras and fishing equipment/boats.

I should mention I live in the heart of Minnesota’s 10,000 lakes country and vacationland. I would post more pictures but most of the pics I take are posted on social media, Facebook and the like. Not many of my shots end up with a URL anymore.

I still play 4+ times a month...but lots of other stuff gets in the way.

You?
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/29/18 05:45 PM

Here in SC you can be doing outdoor things all year. The heat can get you for some of the months but go out early come hoem to relax and by Happy Hour ( and there are lots here in Bluffton) you can kick back at a nice outdoor bar. Playing golf tomorrow,with high temp of 85" and big chance,of rain, we'll see. Also just got into bowling and theres a state of the art facility 5 minutes from me. While home I go between playing just piano on my FP90 or editing somgs on my BK9. Also rediscovered a hobby from my past, building a Model Railroad. Lots,of different aspects to that. Gigging as much as I can but prospects are slim for older guys like us.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/29/18 07:09 PM

Bill, with luck I will be in your neighborhood within the next few months, depending on how I do on my shakedown cruise, which begins next week. I have a good friend who lives in Hilton Head, NC and he loves it there, living aboard his houseboat.

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: TedS

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/29/18 10:31 PM

Interesting Bill, I'm a model train guy too (O Gauge Lionel size.) Most of my stuff has been boxed up for years, but I've been itching to tinker with my trains again, and one of these days the urge is going to be strong enough to take them out!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/30/18 06:59 AM

Thinking about it, I have always had some kind of interest, aside from music, to keep me busy ... for a while it was photography - once, standing over a flower for several minutes that a bee was getting nectar from, my brother in law asked if I was waiting for the bee to smile - ; then I started using my photos as 'models' for me to paint ...
I love being outdoors, working around the house - I still do my own landscape maintenance -, I enjoy playing 'at' golf - Dom Mason can attest to the fact that I don't play golf grin ...
Also, with grandkids in high school and college who are involved in performance arts, we keep pretty busy ...
My wife and I continue to be very blessed ...
For years I have said that there are more people who would want to trade places with me then there are people I would want to trade places with ...
Posted by: zuki

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/30/18 07:17 AM

When the weather breaks in Michigan, the wife and I like to go to different lakes to kayak (even though we live on one, we mix it up). So we hoist the boats on the Jeep and go.

I am fortunate that I can go to Cincinnati and play music 4x or so per year to stay with my kids/grand kids for the week.

Other than that, wife works full time and I play "Pool Boy" most of the time around here, which includes a lot of grilling, fixing up the place, overseeing the dogs and cat and general oversight of our place we love, called HOME.

Once in a while, my wife drags me to her (hobby) photo shoots, but she gets up too early in the morning for me smile

Posted by: Bachus

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/30/18 11:22 AM

Cycling...

Riding on my mountainbike trough woods, dunes, hills and mountais
A bike is the best way to attack the great outdoors..

And when done, i settle for anything from our kamado grill
With a nice cool drink in the summer...
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/30/18 11:50 AM

Photography, music, copy, research (SPSS-X and similar), teaching, travel, charity work,film making, old cars, old women (evidently)motorcycles, guitars, B-3's. The list is long and boring.

Still work 100 hours a week doing things I love to do. Working on Nursing Home Reform and being guardian to several severely fragile kids is most important to me.

R.

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/30/18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Bill, with luck I will be in your neighborhood within the next few months, depending on how I do on my shakedown cruise, which begins next week. I have a good friend who lives in Hilton Head, NC and he loves it there, living aboard his houseboat.

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary
Love to see you when you get here. You know better than I about the best time to come. Summer is crazy on HH and it seems as if were in a big storm cycle down here so plan carefully. Be safe
Bill

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/30/18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By TedS
Interesting Bill, I'm a model train guy too (O Gauge Lionel size.) Most of my stuff has been boxed up for years, but I've been itching to tinker with my trains again, and one of these days the urge is going to be strong enough to take them out!

Ted
Do it. Very relaxing creative hobby. I do HO because of its manageable size and availability of products. I posted before about the musician / train fanatic connection. It seems a lot of music people are into it. My private Piano teacher was an engineer on the PRR. Never wanted the insecurity of music full time. Others are Frank Sinatra who had a huge O Guage layout in an Atrium at his house. And Rod Stewert who has a monster HO layout which takes up the entire 3rd floor of his home. He travels with flight cases of materials to build buildinsg which is his favorite part of the hobby
Good luck, now go unpack those boxes.
Posted by: tassiespirit

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/31/18 05:04 AM

Here in the southern hemisphere, it is back to front to you guys. Just coming through our Autumn, it is getting cold. I do Leather work indoors; well in my shed and teach it during the week at a local Community House. It snows in the highlands where you can go trout fishing.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: O.T., So, what else you into? - 05/31/18 05:55 AM

Here in Texas it’s really too hot in the summer to do lots of outdoor activities past 10AM . My wife and I try to get out during sunrise and after sun set to walk/run/ bike and swim. But no other hobbies really for me..... Between keyboards, piano, guitar, drums, harmonica and voice all give plenty to work on.
In addition to my day job and house hold chores , our 14 year daughter , who is also a musician, keeps us real busy with her hectic schedule. Not complaining at all. I wouldn’t change anything and cherish every moment!