My new BFF

Posted by: travlin'easy

My new BFF - 04/09/18 05:49 PM

About 6 years ago, Carol and I went on vacation to the Florida Keys, and at the time, we had our cat boarded out at a local kennel. While we were gone, the cat, Rocky, who was 17 years old at the time, became very ill and died. The loss was almost like loosing one of our children. Carol and I were devastated.

After we returned home, we decided not to have any more pets, which would be a first for us. We've had dogs and cats almost since the day we were married.

Well, this long, cold, dreary winter and my deteriorating health made me a bit lonesome for a furry, feline companion, but not just any old cat would do. I wanted one that was just like Rocky. A bit of searching by my daughter turned up Rudy, a beautiful, 9-month-old tortoise-shell kitten, one that is just as mischievous, very loving, and a great companion. She sleeps with me in bed at night, and when I'm in the family room watching TV, she comes to me wanting to play with her favorite toys, or begging a snack. She drinks out of the aquarium, tries to catch the fish, which is a panic to watch, and goes crazy when she sees a squirrel or chipmunk just on the other side of the patio's sliding glass door. She spends a lot of time watching birds on the deck feeder and hoping that she could just get out there and chase them around.

Here are a couple photos of my new BFF. The old fart with the oxygen tube shoved up his nose, whose lap she is sitting upon, is what is left of me.

Gary cool
Posted by: zuki

Re: My new BFF - 04/09/18 06:20 PM

The joy of pets is second to nothing, IMO. Glad to see you have a new friend - you look nice and comfy - the boat still going this year?
Posted by: bruno123

Re: My new BFF - 04/09/18 06:26 PM

Your pictue made me smile. You have shared just about every part of your life with us. It is one great example of how a gentlement should lead his life. Constantly heads up. Nice

John C.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: My new BFF - 04/09/18 06:32 PM

Jim, I hope to see some warm weather soon so I can fix a few minor things on the boat, then get it in the water and cruise down to South Carolina and back up the coast to New England. Unfortunately, the mind keeps making appointments the body can no longer keep. wink

Hopefully, the cat will be going with me, but not sure if Carol will go along with that. I told her if the cat can't go I'll try to find some young hottie that will. The cat just might end up cruising with the old codger. smile

John, I appreciate those kind words.

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: zuki

Re: My new BFF - 04/09/18 06:48 PM

Might as well do what you love most, body able. I commend you for staying active under your conditions. A lot of guys just pack it in and they are perfectly healthy. I sure plan to do the same - no sitting around for this guy. Have fun, warm is around the corner - it might hit 60 this week!
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: My new BFF - 04/10/18 12:54 AM

Gary. Great article. Few years ago our neyboure had 2 cats 4 children and a dog. Both cats spent every day time with us to get some peace.
The communication between us was remarkable. They needed to go home every evening.The Black one used to go and sit at our front door waiting to be let out. The tortoishell ran me a chase every night...Ha!

Due to our age we no longer have animals but when time permits we walk rescued greyhounds.
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: My new BFF - 04/10/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By bruno123
Your pictue made me smile. You have shared just about every part of your life with us. It is one great example of how a gentlement should lead his life. Constantly heads up. Nice

John C.

+1

We have two little Shi Tzu’s. They are like our kids to us. 😊