Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action

Posted by: KeyboardByBiggs

Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 07:14 AM

Just saw this Kickstarter for adding arranger functions to guitars. Didn't the guitarists make fun of us arranger players? smile

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/187...68-567fc48c3312
Posted by: zuki

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 07:31 AM

Know how to find a good guitar player? Order a pizza....ok, this was a drummer joke, but thought it might apply to the thread smile
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 07:56 AM

I don't think that will catch on. Guitarists are all into looping now. They do one part at a time and then when finished with their bass, drums and three chord sequence they sing over it. Takes 5 minutes to start the song so with the singing they can kill a good amount of time on stage and the audience has something to watch. They see the song built from scratch, unlike us we hit play and its all there.
Midi guitars have been around a long time and I've never seen one used live.
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I don't think that will catch on. Guitarists are all into looping now. They do one part at a time and then when finished with their bass, drums and three chord sequence they sing over it. Takes 5 minutes to start the song so with the singing they can kill a good amount of time on stage and the audience has something to watch. They see the song built from scratch, unlike us we hit play and its all there.
Midi guitars have been around a long time and I've never seen one used live.

I think it will catch on because you can play complex progressions on the fly. I see limitations though. What happens to the chord progression when you start riffing?
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 10:49 AM

How about dancing through all these hoops just to get what an arranger can do?

https://youtu.be/ltSMv0Qe3rE
Posted by: sparky589

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 11:12 AM

I saw a guitar guy do something similar with a multi effects pedal at a bar. Problem was he created every chord sequence and additional riff live, then saved them to a preset, then did the song. No advance prep, so he took so long he only really had to do 5 songs per set. Nice to get club owners to pay you for your song create time, while we do it at home then have to play a lot more songs to fill in set time for the same money.
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 11:53 AM

I know several guitarists that use Audya 4 module, both with Midi Guitars and pedals. (accordionists too). I tried to introduce arranger modules to some harmonica players...but they dont want to spend more than £30 on anything laugh
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 11:53 AM

Actually, some of us ancient "pickers and grinners" started off our "single" acts playing something like arrangers. They were called Auto Orchestras. There was a controller and a set of 13 bass pedals. You held the root note with your left foot and activated minors, 7ths, etc with your heel. the controller was the equivalent of the brains of an arranger, with different drum, solo and other options, like drum breaks, endings etc.

I think it was a Solton product, which is the predecessor of the Ketron line.Mine still works, and you can re-create the unit combining a Ketron "brain" and bass pedals.

Put myself thru graduate school with one of these little deals.

"A blast from the past...".

R.
Posted by: Saswick

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 12:02 PM

There ya go

Col
Posted by: Saswick

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 12:08 PM

This Guy use's a Pa800 with midi bass pedals.

I sent him a load of styles a few years ago.

Col
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/16/18 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By Saswick
There ya go

Col

They did one called Disco 64

Their add line on the official Solton/Ketron brochure was:
"Disco 64'ers do it on one leg"
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Guitarists Are Getting In On the Arranger Action - 01/17/18 06:54 AM

I think some guitarists and organ players used something called a SIDEMAN or SIDEKICK something like thattoo???

That was before they added drum boxes to the organs.