Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up...

Posted by: Dnj

Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 06:44 AM

keys

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 07:12 AM

Id say EA7 best bang for the buck for sure....good solid sound and features without breaking the bank.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 08:55 AM

Good stuff. Now add to it the thousands of Roland Styles available and your ready for anything.
Glad your enjoying the new board. Thru the right system even a moderatly priced keyboard can be made to sound great.
Now that I have the FP90 Piano I do hear a differance with the pianos in my BK9. They are still very very good and the audience won't know.
Posted by: saxxman

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 09:39 AM

Roland has always marketed excellent products at reasonable prices! Still have a trusty old U-20 keyboard in the garage. EA7 sounds and looks great - thanks for posting!

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 10:10 AM

Randy, Bill, your very welcome...
The EA7 surprises me every day.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 03:33 PM

If it had vocal harmony, displayed text, had break/fill and a few other missing features, I'd probably have kept mine.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 03:51 PM

I agree with DonM - He's a pretty smart fella!

Gary cool

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
If it had vocal harmony, displayed text, had break/fill and a few other missing features, I'd probably have kept mine.

let's see......you could always if needed use a TC helicon VH box,....Laptop for lyrics etc I never leave home without Two of them,, ....a host of gear workarounds are always needed for any brand keyboard depending on your performance scenario & situation to make it work for you. That said the fact that you mentioned that you would of KEPT the EA7 says volumes about the sounds & styles which after all is the heart of any arranger kb...

Bottom line FOR THE PRICE it can't be beat...

Thanx
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/21/17 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By saxxman
Still have a trusty old U-20 keyboard in the garage.

Smart man you are. I still have my U-20 and a U-220 module that I played with my left hand. I haven't used it now in 20 years, but at the time, I thought (among other sounds) the strings were breathtaking. I mixed string parts together and tweaked each one to be slighty off pitch. What a big sound that was.

I'm real curious now to take it out and see if I can't get more mileage out of it still.
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/22/17 12:10 AM

There're rivals, as it was mentioned in the video above. Price is practically the same.

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/22/17 12:54 PM

What does this comparison demo have to do with the Roland EA7?...
that said the Korg sounds more live for sure....just sayin'
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/22/17 02:07 PM

OK Donny talk to me nice –I just sold my Pa4x and I have a bunch of dollars.???????

John C.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/22/17 02:26 PM

John, don's piss that money away on trivial things such as food, rent or clothing. Instead, do something constructive with it, such as spending it on good booze and loose women. wink

Merry Christmas, old friend,

Gary cool

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/22/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By bruno123
OK Donny talk to me nice –I just sold my Pa4x and I have a bunch of dollars.???????

John C.

john PM me ...
Posted by: synerjim

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/22/17 03:18 PM

John, glad to hear that you unloaded your PA4X and accessories.
Yes, I'm liking the EA7 everyday. It's my go to keyboard, very light, easy/simple to operate, punchy, clear sounds and lots of real time controls. Lots of usable styles also. I'd say it's a baby G70/E80 in a very light weight form. I don't miss much the vocal harmonizer (from other keyboards i had) anymore as I get used singing with just the EA7 built-in mic effects. Another feature I love is the Makeup Tools. I think this keyboard deserves more praise. I pm you already.

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/22/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By synerjim
John, glad to hear that you unloaded your PA4X and accessories.
Yes, I'm liking the EA7 everyday. It's my go to keyboard, very light, easy/simple to operate, punchy, clear sounds and lots of real time controls. Lots of usable styles also. I'd say it's a baby G70/E80 in a very light weight form. I don't miss much the vocal harmonizer (from other keyboards i had) anymore as I get used singing with just the EA7 built-in mic effects. Another feature I love is the Makeup Tools. I think this keyboard deserves more praise. I pm you already.

Jim I totally agree good luck with yours,......the Roland EA7 definitely slipped under the radar and can keep up with the big boys no problem sound & style wise, ....don't let the price fool you or think it's made for just the foreign market.....it certainly can do all you need once you dig in and learn its features...it's a very well thought out arranger KB & fun to play for sure.....

Merry Christmas to you & yours...

keys
Posted by: adimatis

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/23/17 12:38 AM

... but the keybed... frown
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/23/17 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By adimatis
... but the keybed... frown

Prference, some prefer these very light keybeds... altough the ome i tested was not just very light, it also felt cluncky in some way... with lots of space to move left and right with your keys..

But then that could be because of it being a demo keybedoard.

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/23/17 01:23 AM

Keybed to me better then s970, pa900.... I love playing a light touch..

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/23/17 02:25 AM

My point is that it makes me feel like I’m missing something here. Roland E-A7 is spoken of like an affordable keyboard which offers something that other keyboards for this price don’t. So far I fail to see it. I don’t have a particular reason to be biased right now. I’ve enjoyed my PSR-S950 so far but I’m ready to move on. What if I’m to recommend a keyboard to someone? What if I’m to write an article about modern arrangers? Can I just say that tastes differ? Or it’s my duty to state that some products are overpriced?

It was mentioned here that E-A7 is like a smaller version of G70/V80. But those products were introduced about 10 years ago. I’m not that familiar with Korg’s arrangers (yet I try everything when I’m at a store), but I know that Yamaha has changed a lot within this term. So far E-A7 seems to me as an overpriced product and I don’t see a silver lining here. Maybe I should look harder.

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/23/17 05:31 AM

Just to show that I’m trying not to be favorable to any brand I’d like to point out some Yamaha’s products which I find sort of misleading. For example, DGX-520 and DGX-620 – bulky and heavy instruments which are supposed to be like digital pianos but with only 32 voices of polyphony on board! The same goes for Yamaha MM8.

Also, it seems that after successful and affordable PSR-550 Yamaha deliberately made every next keyboard in this price range with hard-to-navigate user interface.

Eventually, they gave decent polyphony to DGX series and decent controls to PSR-S670. Perhaps, we should thank Casio and Korg for that.

As for Roland, they introduced quite interesting products like Roland Go:Piano and Go:Keys (go-61p and go-61k). They are still hard to locate in Russia, which upsets me. It seems reasonable to me that while $100-$200 smartphones now are capable to do almost everything, musical keyboards for $300 should be decent ones. So if Roland tries to set new rules – I’m pleased to watch it.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/23/17 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
[quote=synerjim]EA-7 ...it's a very well thought out arranger KB & fun to play for sure.....

......yawn

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/23/17 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Dnj
[quote=synerjim]EA-7 ...it's a very well thought out arranger KB & fun to play for sure.....

......yawn

Dave....we all have our choices & opinions in life...
to each their own.
Merry Christmas to you & Yours buddy enjoy the Holidays.
Posted by: tom moon

Re: Roland EA7 Can Certainly JAZZ it Up... - 12/26/17 07:56 AM

I wonder if someone w/ an EA7 can tell whether the acoustic and electric pianos are sourced from the older Roland soundsets (JV, etc) or the newer (FA). I'm beginning to look for an all-in-one board for home studio and need decent EPs and a playable keybed (ie, not the Yamaha 970 one!)
my guess on the Roland keybed is that it's the one from Juno DS 61.

also looking at the VR 09 but I don't think its USB recorder can blend signal from external input with the keyboard itself, which is a deal breaker. looks like the EA7 does do this...
thanks