Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910

Posted by: Bernie9

Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/07/17 01:49 PM

Anyone have an idea of how difficult it would be?
Posted by: solomon8

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/07/17 02:02 PM

I have worked on some of my keyboards. Not as a professional put just as a player with some electronic experience. I have repaired the power supply in my Motif ES. I also replaced the display in a Roland G70.

If you take your time. Label the connections so you know where they go when you reconnect everything, you should be fine. Taking a lot of pictures helps. I use scotch tape and when I pull a connector out I assign it a number, putting that number on the connector and the place it plugs into.

Looking at your picture you appear to be quite intelligent. (he he) You should have no problem. The very best of luck to you.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/07/17 04:55 PM

Bernie, I have never been inside the PSR-S910, but I have been inside the PSR-2000, 3000, 5700, and many others. I can assure you that at the very least, it will be quite difficult. Now, do you need to replace the entire case, both top and bottom? If so, I would not do it. There are dozens of small boards, all anchored to places you can not easily access. And you need to be able to carefully unplug tiny little plugs without damaging the hair thin pins, then put them back in place again during reassembly. It would take a good technician hours to perform this task.

If you have any photos of the damage, please post them so we may be able to come up with another remedy. I once repaired a friends keyboard that smashed the end in while carelessly walking through a door and jammed it into the door frame. I was able to epoxy the small pieces back together, then filled in the open areas with body putty, sanded it down, and repainted the damaged area. When it was completed, you could not tell it was damaged from the outside.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/08/17 01:34 AM

It isn't for me, but a member that bought mine, but UPS dropped it. I think it is too difficult for a layman. Thank you Gary.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/08/17 03:19 AM

Bernie I had a Psr910 that needed a slight repair. I have opened Technics keyboards to replace speakers and some small repairs--no problem.
I opened the Psr910 -- it was a nightmare. It ended up at a repair shop.

John C.

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/08/17 06:31 AM

Thanks John, I figured as much.
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/08/17 07:20 AM

Hi Bernie:

Gary (as always) has provided some really good advice. Years ago, a friend of mine took his keyboard to a repair shop in Shreveport (as recommended by the ever-generous Don Mason) and we watched the Technician "open up the patient" and it really is a task to get that part accomplished. The problem is best left to those who do that type of work for a living... if you can find somebody qualified... and acquire the case from Yamaha.

Sorry you are having that trouble. I'd be lost without my 910 but I kept the old 2000 as a back-up. Naturally, I'm lusting for a 970 when the new version comes out and the 970 becomes more affordable to a geezer like me... even though it may be used.

These things are so well built and to such high standards, even a moderately used "board" should last another ten years.

Best of luck... and, if convenient, keep us posted.

Regards, ----Dave Rice
Posted by: musicforyourday

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/08/17 07:39 AM

Bernie call Ton dau at Yamaha buena Park they have replacment parts and cases for keyboards there you can ship it too them and they can fix it for you.

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/08/17 08:15 AM

Thanks for the info. I am waiting to see what UPS is going to do. They wanted proof of the cost of the case that was damaged, and said they would pay for a new case, but labor and shipping on top of that, I don't know. I went to Yamaha 24/7 and got the price of $157.10 and sent it to them.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/08/17 08:17 AM

Bernie, UPS will pay for ALL damages and labor for repairs including shipping costs. Been through this a time or two myself. You have to press the issue, though.

Gary

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/08/17 11:15 AM

Thanks Gary
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/09/17 07:31 AM

I would have no problem doing it...but I have lots of experience with electronics...the stuff I used to work on at IBM was extremely complicated, so other stuff now seems simple to me.
If anyone is in the Ocala,FL area and ever needs some help on this king of stuff, I would be glad to help them.

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/09/17 11:56 AM

Thanks Lee, but my customer is out in the West panhandle. I got two estimates of 2 1/2 hrs bench time, bringing the total with case to $332. We will see how UPS reacts.
Posted by: Guardman2001

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/12/17 09:16 AM

Hi all. Here's my 2 cents worth. I just repaired the screen on a psr s900 and it was not easy. You need to be very careful and keep very good track of where and how everything fits and is routed. I would also add that I don't use UPS as they are quite rough with handling. FedEx has never damaged an item on me except the last one a Yamaha 02r mixer which the seller didn't pack right. He used peanuts to cushion it and they quickly turned to white dust as they mixer weighs in at 70 lbs. Have a happy.
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/12/17 09:47 AM

Go with Fed-X...not UPS...I agree
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Replacing Damaged Case On Yamaha S910 - 12/12/17 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By Guardman2001
FedEx has never damaged an item on me except the last one a Yamaha 02r mixer which the seller didn't pack right. He used peanuts to cushion it and they quickly turned to white dust as they mixer weighs in at 70 lbs. Have a happy.

That's quite a mixer ... 'Googled' and saw one for $245 and shipping was $250 !!! ... others of the same model were much more expensive though ...