PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better?

Posted by: jingleman

PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/09/17 06:11 PM

Guys:

I put this sample together to show what the 970 has to offer (At least what I'm able to do with it).

Do you think I'd get better results with Korg PA1000, Ketron SD9, Korg Pa4x, or any other option. (Genos...even though I can't afford it).

Chop away!!!
jingleman
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 05:06 AM

I was only able to listen to get access to one MP3 file...Summer Of 69?

Good job.

Don’t know if you would benefit from a different keyboard. I sure did with my 4X.

One problem for me is that I’m listening through my iPad. And I think MP3 files are so compressed on listening sites that dynamics of sound are hard to compare...or hear...for me anyway.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 05:15 AM

Come on guys...45 downloads with no feedback!

I had to layer these tracks with the 970...it was a time consuming, and a painstaking process.

Could I get better results...more quickly...with one of the keyboards mentioned?

I really want honest input. You guys are all pro’s and I respect your opinion.

Thanks, jingleman (Mitch)

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 05:36 AM

Thanks guitpic1, Compression is something I use pretty extensively to give punch to tracks.

Do you think there would be more clarity with the 4X? I find the clarity of tracks lose definition when building a tune with the 970. Not sure if that has something to do with the digital converters in the 970.

I realize it’s difficult to maximize instrumental definition with one keyboard performing all the parts, but thought you guys might have some suggestions.

By the way...I’m nursing a left knee meniscal tear repair, so the pain meds are making me gabby. So if I offend anyone...I apologize in advance. I Luv you guys...see!

jingleman

Thanks
Posted by: Dnj

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 05:52 AM

Stick with the KORG....if you want a LIVE sound vs what I just heard here especially the drums..good luck.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 05:59 AM

For those of you Yamaha owners...the style used is “Canadian Rock”.

Question for yammie guys. Is there an editor for pc or iPad to tweak 970 styles. That might help a little.

It took me all yesterday to create that short song sample.

jingleman

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Stick with the KORG....if you want a LIVE sound vs what I just heard here especially the drums..good luck.

Donny: do you think I would get better results with pa1000? Would a midi file conversion on your 4X sound better? Or does the Korg have better clarity and clearer and punchier drums?

Thanks,
jingleman
Posted by: leeboy

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 08:18 AM

I think it was excellent...not because of the keyboard...but your voice is really great! IMHO any MOTL or TOTL arranger would we similar...as the vocals are the key...Drums were fine. Sure a different KB would be ...maybe a little better...but I think the audience would not care...as your singing is the key.

For me however...I can't sing a note...so the true sound quality on every instrument is critical...because the arranger...not a vocal is the whole sound in my perforances. Just like the organ days...when I had a Conn Prelude...then got my Thomas Trianon...wow...what a difference...then when I got the Yamaha HS-8...another giant step up. Pretty much played the music the same way...but me and my audience (family) heard a much better , more real song played.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 08:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m mainly a home studio guy, so I want to get the best live sound I can get from the keyboard.

Curious to see if the Korg 1000 would give me better clarity and punch than the 970.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 09:12 AM

Drums I heard are too compressed which takes away the LIVE feel.....listen to the snare its a dead giveaway..
Posted by: DonM

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 09:36 AM

Having owned a PSR S970 for quite some time, I MUCH prefer the sounds on the Korgs. Even the PA900 sounded great; the PA1000 can only be better.
The PA4X has all new sound generation and outstanding sounds in every category.
As mentioned, any modern arranger will sound good, but the Korgs certainly sound more live and realistic to my old ears.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 09:44 AM

Donny: you are correct. I intentionally compressed the drum kit pretty heavily. This is one of the 970’s audio kits. When listening to the drums without compression...the snare drum disappears. I used more compression to bring it out in the mix. The old hardware compressors were a little more forgiving. Actually, the whole track has been normalized and compressed multiple times.

This is one of the reasons I’m looking to find a board with better definition and clarity and easier mixing and editing. It has always been an issue with Yamaha arrangers. The denser the arrangement...the muddier it gets.

That’s why I need quicker access to mixing and adding effects. Rolling off bass on certain instruments can help clarity in a mix. The 970 is clumsy for mixing.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By DonM
Having owned a PSR S970 for quite some time, I MUCH prefer the sounds on the Korgs. Even the PA900 sounded great; the PA1000 can only be better.
As mentioned, any modern arranger will sound good, but the Korgs certainly sound more live and realistic to my old ears.

DITTO cool2
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 12:17 PM

Just got to listen ... good job ... as leeboy said your vocals are key ... I think KB sound is a matter of personal preference - functionality, not so much so ... I always preferred technics, but since they have long been out of business I prefer KORG ...

BTW ... why are you mostly a 'home studio guy' ? ... sounds like you should be out playing gigs ...

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 12:44 PM

Thanks Tony. I was a jingle writer / producer for over 30 years up North. I’m now a Deputy Sheriff in Lee County FL.

I still do occasional recording projects for my brother who remains in the business. I now consider my music career a hobby.

I love being able mix and add effects in a computer daw. The 970 is extremely putzy when it comes to editing a track. Too many buttons and layers to get anything done.

I wish they made a software editor for the 970!

jingleman
Posted by: bruno123

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 01:35 PM

I know this is coming from left field but; The criteria for judging should be stated. I feel the Korg Pa4x is the best keyboard I have ever owned. BUT it does not play all types of music in The best category.

The criteria is formed by the player – which makes other keyboards desirable to them. Sure the S970 can play a song better – but not the one on this thread.

And that is why I have a Pa4x and a S970.

Another opinion, John C.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 01:38 PM

Thanks for your thoughts John. What board do you think would reproduce this song better?
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 02:06 PM

I think the weakness of Yamaha are the drums .. Try to raise the velocity setting of the drums (If possible), and add a little sizzle with eq to the highs, again on the drums..

All of the current keyboards you mention can sound good..
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By DonM

Gotta agree with Don. I have a PSR S970...excellent keyboard. For me anyway, my PA4X is just a much better sounding keyboard...really no comparison.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 02:59 PM

Thanks for the input Fran. I agree that Yamaha boards tend to lean on the dull side. I remember playing the psr-s900 and thinking how dull it sounded. Yamaha has improved the psr series output quality, but stills lacks high frequency response.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 05:50 PM

KORG PA4X
John C.
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 06:41 PM

IMHO, ya can't beat Ketron, especially drums ...
Ciao,
Jerry
Posted by: Torch

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By jingleman
Guys:

I put this sample together to show what the 970 has to offer (At least what I'm able to do with it).

Do you think I'd get better results with Korg PA1000, Ketron SD9, Korg Pa4x, or any other option. (Genos...even though I can't afford it).

Chop away!!!
jingleman
With your invitation, I will give you my thought from a different angle. I imagined myself as part of the audience; I couldn't care less whether you used a midi file or the most expensive arranger keyboard. You voice and singing techniques made even the backup shine! In this perspective, it didn't matter whether you played a single note on the arranger or not; you voiced "played" the melody beautifully anyway. Your vocal ability will work with any arranger out there in my opinion.

I think it gets boring, tedious, and mechanical when a performer just "hides" behind the backup accompaniment and doesn't do much musically whether it is singing or playing.
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 07:46 PM

"Your vocal ability will work with any arranger out there in my opinion." clap
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/10/17 09:16 PM

My ex korg pa600 sounded more lively than tye s970.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 05:59 AM

Thanks guys...In some ways we’ve become a little spoiled. I know Ihave. I’ve had so many keyboards throughout my career, that I’ve become caught up in the search for perfection.

I thought live drums were going to be Yamaha’s next big thing, but as Fran pointed out, they sounded a little dull in need of eq. The fact that Yamaha dropped the live drums from Genos, shows they didn’t believe it was the future either.

I got some great advice from someone that everyone respects on this forum. It got me thinking about what’s important. Some of the feedback I’ve received seems to support that as well. I’m a singer first and foremost. The keyboard provides me the backup band I no longer have.

For my needs, Yamaha and Roland provide the best selection of styles I like. If Roland had continued to develop a more feature rich board...I may have stayed with them (I stopped after the bk5). I love aspects of the Korg as well...but from the advice I received, if you can’t swing the 4X, I might be disappointed.

So the bottom line is...I can’t afford the Pa4x or the Genos, so I’m probably stuck with the 970 for a while. I don’t mean to sound smug either...the 970 is a good board, I just wish it was easier to edit and mix with.

Thanks guys for listening to my long winded...pain pill induced rant.

You all are a special group. Luv you all! (The pills kickin’ In)

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 06:29 AM

If you like the Roland styles and sounds, you should consider the E-A7. It has lots of editing features and real-time controls. It has some new styles and there are tons of legacy styles around for it.
And it is quite inexpensive.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 06:40 AM

Don,,,are you keeping yours? Might be an interesting backup.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 07:14 AM

I am about 90 percent sure I'm returning it. It's just hard to justify, even though I do like it. I wanted to have it as a backup to the PA4X, but it isn't essential. I have a close friend with a PA4X, and he doesn't even use it, so I could get it to use in an emergency.
It will cost me a little to return it, as I will have to pay shipping both ways, as it was initially shipped free. I got a good price to begin with, so if you are interested in it, you could save a little money.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 07:51 AM

So the bottom line is...I can’t afford the Pa4x or the Genos, so I’m probably stuck with the 970 for a while. I don’t mean to sound smug either...the 970 is a good board, I just wish it was easier to edit and mix with.

Or try a Pa900 or Pa1000 ?

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 08:10 AM

Don, thanks for the offer, but being laid up on crutches...my wife could get to my glock faster than me.

Better heal up before broaching the topic of purchasing a new keyboard!

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 08:12 AM

Don, thanks for the offer, but being laid up on crutches...my wife could get to my glock faster than me.

Better heal up before broaching a new purchase.

No problem! You'd hate to have to hit her with a crutch. smile

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 08:13 AM

LOL!

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 08:18 AM

Tony: If I went the Korg route (I had a pa600), it would have to be a 4X, which is not in the budget at this time.

Re: PSR-S970 Sample...Would Korg Sound Better? - 11/11/17 09:14 AM

Whatever is your pleasure ... besides the budget, I wouldn't go Pa4X because on board speakers are a 'must have' for me ... but it IS a great board ...