Anybody Buying Genos...just because?

Posted by: guitpic1

Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 10:55 AM

I’m thinking about buying Genos...

(1) Just for something(sort of) new.

(2 Thing is...it’s my thing...Music that is...learnin* sonething new...hopefully.

Compared to a Tyros 5? Probably a Tyros 6.

Wish Yamaha(or Korg) would really build something revolutionary. Could cost $15,000(for a real arranger) or more.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 02:09 PM

$15k huh? You know what I think (not that anyone cares smile ). I think that if you took , let's say, 10k of that money and hired a MASTER teacher (one who is or was a seasoned 'pro') to bring you to a new level of musical proficiency (in both theory and playing technique), you would be able (using ANY arranger, not just the 'latest/greatest') to create a more satisfying musical experience than anything you could ever do merely by changing arranger keyboards. Being more 'personally' invested in your music will bring a deeper and more 'personal' kind of satisfaction. JMO, of course.

chas
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
$15k huh? You know what I think (not that anyone cares smile ). I think that if you took , let's say, 10k of that money and hired a MASTER teacher (one who is or was a seasoned 'pro') to bring you to a new level of musical proficiency (in both theory and playing technique), you would be able (using ANY arranger, not just the 'latest/greatest') to create a more satisfying musical experience than anything you could ever do merely by changing arranger keyboards. Being more 'personally' invested in your music will bring a deeper and more 'personal' kind of satisfaction. JMO, of course.

chas

Amen
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 05:10 PM

The thing I hear is it's not the keyboard it's the keyboardist...well of course a better player sounds better..
BUT....no matter how good you are...you cannot make a poor sounding instrument sound good...so it DOES effect your quality of performance overall.

I am talking about a instrumental song piece...not background for a singer.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By leeboy
The thing I hear is it's not the keyboard it's the keyboardist...well of course a better player sounds better..
BUT....no matter how good you are...you cannot make a poor sounding instrument sound good...so it DOES effect your quality of performance overall.

I am talking about a instrumental song piece...not background for a singer.

and you don't think a Pa4x, SD9, T5, can sound amazing also, I know so for sure......
NEW is not always better,.....that's one thing that has been proven time and time again...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 06:59 PM

I'm sorry, but this seems to be a stupid assed question.

Give me a break!

Gary

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Give me a break!

Gary

How so, Gary? Half of my purchases are whimsical. When you're old and bored and can afford it, that's what we (men mostly smile ) do. My earlier post had to do with personal satisfaction; to that end, I see music divided into three distinct areas; the music, the person, and the instrument. Two are 'spiritual' and one is technical. As it relates to PERSONAL SATISFACTION, I think the priority rankings are pretty clear. Again, just my opinion but I don't really see anything wrong with the question--we've certainly discussed more personal things in the past (without criticism).

chas
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 11:00 PM

Give me a break!

Gary

Questions are never stupid
Only answers can be stupid
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/08/17 11:11 PM

Nobody will spend that much on a keyboard. I just spent about $1400 on a new pa4x oriental 61 keys...and its the most ive ever spent on a keyboard. These days people dont have money...i think.

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/09/17 08:45 AM

Sorry guys, I was having a real bad day. I had a bad bronchospasm a few hours before reading the post, which is pretty scary. You cannot breathe and have to grab a rescue inhaler, crank up the oxygen generator to the highest level and hope you don't pass out in the process. Then, the VA informed me that they will not supply the special, new medication that I am using because it is not on their approved list yet. Therefore, I'm living on samples from the docs office because I cannot afford the $950 a month for one, and $675 a month for the other. The VA says I have to try other drugs first, drugs they have on the list. I documented that I have tried those drugs and had bad cardiac reactions to the drugs, but the VA doctor failed to put that in the request that she sent in for the more expensive drugs to be covered.

The day before, another doctor turned me down for back surgery (this has been the fourth one) because it was too risky and I could end up paralyzed from the waist down. Been there, done that many years ago, and sure as hell don't want to go through it again. Consequently, I must live with the most severe back pain anyone can imagine. The only relief is booze and drugs, both of which are expensive, and you cannot write off the booze as medicinal purposes, though I wish I could.

So, please accept my sincere apologies, Guitpic.

Gary cool

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/09/17 09:05 AM

Sorry to hear about all your problems, Gary; both health-wise and with the VA. My wife's medications are nearly in the same cost range so I can sympathize. However, without VA benefits, my own medication costs would add another 3-400/mo. to the cost. All I can say is APPEAL, NAG, AND HARASS; eventially they'll do something. Oh, and yeah, a whole bunch of health problems coming at you all at once can most definitely get you off to a bad start to your day (ask my wife smile ). Hope the situation improves.

chas

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/09/17 09:23 AM

Thanks Chas.

Gary
Posted by: Tyrosman5

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/09/17 10:05 AM

Gary,
Those problems certainly can get you on "edge" as I have been there with pain. My wife has had to put up with my disposition
when I am having those bad times. You are not alone and know
others can understand if they have those rough times. Lloyd

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/09/17 10:13 AM

Thanks Lloyd. The icing on the cake is that the VA once again rejected my claim for compensation for the asbestosis I contracted while in the US Navy, claiming that I am not sick enough. I'm guessing they want me dead before they'll take care of the medical expenses, at least it seems that way.

Thanks for your understanding, guys,

Gary cool
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/10/17 04:34 AM

Sorry guys, I was having a real bad day.

So, please accept my sincere apologies, Guitpic.

Gary cool

No need to apologize Gary...it probably was a stupid assed question. 😁

But then, I’ve posted a few of those from time to time. 😜

Sorry to hear of the health issues. This getting older business isn’t much fun....especially when the brain says go do it and the body says Hey, wait a minute.

I’m having my hip replaced this coming Monday if my blood numbers hold. I wonder if I’ll still be able to haul equipment after that?

Re: Anybody Buying Genos...just because? - 11/10/17 07:28 AM

You probably will not be able to lift anything for the first couple weeks that exceeds 10 pounds. Then after physical therapy, with luck, you'll be pain free and back to work in a few months. The docs will let you know when it's safe to resume normal activities.

Good luck,

Gary