Great sax possible on keyboard?

Posted by: Guardman2001

Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/04/17 08:40 AM

Hi all. I have a Sax instrumental original song that I asked a professional backing tracks producer about getting him to do a mix for me. He said he couldn't do a believable sax on a keyboard. (it would always sound fake). I worked w/ a midi sequence guy a few years ago and it seems to me he could produce a great sax using his keyboard. (He moved away) Whadaya think???
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/04/17 10:05 AM

It all depends upon the player. I have heard some incredible sax performances come from an arranger keyboard. I have also heard some really bad ones as well. It's not the fault of the keyboard, but instead, the player.

Good luck,

Gary cool
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/04/17 01:22 PM

A few sax tips:
You need to emulate breaks in the breathing, and subtle pitch changes to get closer to a sax technique. Never play more than one note at a time, stay in the correct range of the instrument and USE YOUR DYNAMICS ... wind players are always changing up the wind pressure. Avoid overbending (pitch). Most bends are less than a 1/2 step, done with the lip.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/05/17 09:36 AM

I heared Peter Baartmans on the Genos yesterday

There was an incredible sax performance from him...
Closed my eyes and tought i was on the northsee jazz festival
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/11/17 03:23 PM

I heard the same video and yes Peter Baartmans really knows how to make a good Sax improvisation on the Genos. Having said that the real goal at least in my opinion is that Yamaha and other keyboard manufacturers would create a Sax sound that more closely resembles a real Saxophone. They are getting better at it but they still have a ways to go if you ask me. To put it in perspective here is an mp3 file of a real Saxophone being played that shows you what keyboards are still missing in the way of authenticity. Enjoy..

All the best,

Mike

PS: Don't get me wrong. If the keyboard Sax is played skillfully like Peter Baartmans does then it makes the sound of the keyboard Sax itself of less importance. But again the goal is authenticity and if keyboard manufacturers could achieve that goal (like the mp3 file I posted) then that's saying something and would be a real delight for professional musicians of all stripes. Until then we'll have to settle for what they give us or if you are unhappy with certain voices you can always hold on to your wallet until something more satisfying comes along. cool
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/12/17 10:25 AM

Yes...at the 1 hour 2 minute spot...listen to Peter.
And at 1 hour 7 min too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QS_1AfHptw
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/12/17 01:23 PM

Mike
That was a tasty sax. Thanks
Posted by: hbinfo2001

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/12/17 02:22 PM

Hi,Check this demo,the guy use to work for Ketron
Is the Yamaya Genos better than the SD9
For me the sax from Audya is best sound

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/12/17 02:23 PM

Hi
This is the site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UDD1Tbrmdo

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/12/17 02:48 PM

For me its the Audya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67m0wxXIcH4
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/12/17 04:28 PM

On the MediaStation there was a giga sample Lionstracs Sax.. my favorite sax to date..
I wish I could locate the sample. I would sample it or convert it for the EA7..

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/12/17 05:37 PM

Hi Fran ,I found maybe the sax sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzWhXCKkeaQ
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/13/17 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By hbinfo2001
Hi Fran ,I found maybe the sax sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzWhXCKkeaQ

That is a decent one but not the one of the saxes I am referring to..
Dom sampled couple saxes that were named Liontracs specific..

I found my Giga library disc from Liontracs... I will try an convert to wave.. hopefully not too complex and large for the EA7 to handle..
Media station was able to stream samples so size didn't matter..
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/14/17 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
A few sax tips:
You need to emulate breaks in the breathing, and subtle pitch changes to get closer to a sax technique. Never play more than one note at a time, stay in the correct range of the instrument and USE YOUR DYNAMICS ... wind players are always changing up the wind pressure. Avoid overbending (pitch). Most bends are less than a 1/2 step, done with the lip.

Make sure, you have set the sax sound to mono/legato... mono as in monphonic sound.

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/14/17 06:48 PM

Can you tell me how to attach an mp3
thanks
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/14/17 07:14 PM

Hit "Reply" (or start a new thread) and click the "file manager" link. Follow the prompts to browse for your file.
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: Great sax possible on keyboard? - 11/19/17 03:35 AM

You're welcome Bernie! For what it's worth the saxes on the Genos are excellent for a keyboard. My Tyros 3 has some nice saxes also. Peter Baartman's makes just about any keyboard sound good which is a testament to his excellent playing skills. Practice practice practice is to keyboards what location location location is to real estate. cool

All the best,

Mike