What keyboard would you still use or use instead..

Posted by: tassiespirit

What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 10/30/17 10:04 PM

Hello everyone, been thinking again, I know big mistake lol. What keyboard would you use / get if you started out etc if you could "never" use the arranger side of your keyboards or arps if a synth (except for drums)? Ok, never is a bit harsh, but bare with me please.
Except for three things 1. drum rhythms, 2. voice vocoda, and 3. multi voicing/ splitting etc. Ok, with 2. the Vocoda could be an add on as not all boards come with one, but is part of the equation for a singer/player/duo etc.

So why the question, I hear you ask? It sounds rhetorical in some ways and I am guessing some will think it a waste of time; if you have a keyboard already, just turn the other things off.

But , I am looking at it from another point of view, and that is if so myself or yourself were to get just a keyboard for the above would you recommend 1. what you already use or 2. something else ?

Taking in to consideration playability, quality of sounds and quality of key action. Of course there may be some other points to add for what you would look for or want.

Yes, the keyboard would be used solo and with others in a duo or small band say. But the emphasise is on the keyboard in it's own right.

Tas taz
Posted by: abacus

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 10/31/17 01:42 AM

Just get an organ, (There are plenty of different types out there) that way you can play your own backing and bass, or just the parts that are required in a band.

Bill
Posted by: tnicoson

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 10/31/17 03:30 AM

Motif XF-7

or

Roland FA-07

I would have said MO-XF7, but Yamaha has not seen fit to make one of those yet.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 10/31/17 11:23 AM

Nord stage 3... has everything you need... and a very intuitive interface

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 11/01/17 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By abacus
Just get an organ, (There are plenty of different types out there) that way you can play your own backing and bass, or just the parts that are required in a band.

Bill

Thanks Bill, do you have a preference, like the Hammond SK1 or 2 Nord C2 or the Korg Cx3 version? I have played the Hammond XK3 it was good for a lot of styles of music, but, of cause not so much for piano etc.

tnicoson,
I love the Yamaha XS7 oldie but a goodie , would have love to have a go at the XF7 version myself. The S90xs I think might be in the list for it's sounds from the Motif and the keyboard feel.

Backus,

Not seen the new Nord Stage 3 yet, it does fit the bill on all accounts except needing external drum/rhythms ( I think).
Just for interest, you don't think your Korg Pa4x is good enough to stand alone?

Allan
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 11/01/17 10:09 AM

My B-3, of course, or a modern Suzuki made clone (less maintenance), with my old 147 RV. SK-1 system with the 63 would do nicely. All the B-3 stuff, plus a lot more.

I'm currently using the SK-1 over the arranger, and using the arranger only for drums and drum breaks. I'll try a job with the SK-1 and a Midjay soon.

R.
Posted by: abacus

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 11/01/17 11:30 AM

Hi Allan

You will need to try a few out as the operation and sound is very personal, however for gig ready Hammond or Nord with a Ketron SD40 would be a good place to start. If you are prepared to spend more than have a look at the Wersi OAX1 Duo, which is easily dismantled for transport and used in whatever configuration suits the gig. (Also if you can still find one and don’t mind setting everything up beforehand have a look at the Roland Atelier 300 (Not the best to play on the fly though) for a nice little package)

Have fun

Bill
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 11/01/17 01:34 PM

Hi Allan:

My needs (as a songwriter) are different from most of the participants here. With that in mind, I would love to be able to upgrade to a Yamaha PSR-S970 because the transition would be fairly easy and the machine is significantly enhanced with features not available to me on the S910 I now use.

Regards, ----Dave Rice

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 11/02/17 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By abacus
Hi Allan

You will need to try a few out as the operation and sound is very personal, however for gig ready Hammond or Nord with a Ketron SD40 would be a good place to start. If you are prepared to spend more than have a look at the Wersi OAX1 Duo, which is easily dismantled for transport and used in whatever configuration suits the gig. (Also if you can still find one and don’t mind setting everything up beforehand have a look at the Roland Atelier 300 (Not the best to play on the fly though) for a nice little package)

Have fun

Bill

Thanks Bill, The Ketron SD3 is available but at a price of $2999 here in OZ ouch. Which is dearer than a Yamaha s970 keyboard which Dave would love. If I had a two board setup, one with a Hammer action midi board to get a decent "feel" and then use another keyboard like the s970 as all singing all dancing then fine. I just don't like the feel of the yamaha's keyboard - too plastic and soft with no feed back. Again, the Wersi is not available here at all, so I could not get to check one out.

The other keyboard I looked at was the Roland VR-09, a lot lighter (and cheaper) than it's predecessor.

To be honest, I love the Korg PA4x 76 keyboard, it is way more than I would need , it has basics I need true, but the price tag for the amount of use ( as a none professional)is hard to justify.
I play the Roland RD 2000 at church - the rd700gx before that and a s90sx as well. But these are heavy and too large to cart around now for this old bloke. Plus I have had Casio and Technics and Yamaha arrangers for years; it's an addiction/ love lol.

Hence, I am looking at a change - do I go with my heart or my head.
I do suffer from insanity from time to time , but not that anyone would notice. confused2

Thanks for you advice and help guys......

Allan taz

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 11/02/17 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By captain Russ
My B-3, of course, or a modern Suzuki made clone (less maintenance), with my old 147 RV. SK-1 system with the 63 would do nicely. All the B-3 stuff, plus a lot more.

I'm currently using the SK-1 over the arranger, and using the arranger only for drums and drum breaks. I'll try a job with the SK-1 and a Midjay soon.

R.

Capt. Russ, how do you find the SK-1 for weight and keyboard feel please? Is it a "waterfall" board?

Allan
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 11/02/17 03:55 AM

As an additional opinion, I find the SK-1 keybed to be good, It is semi-weighted and waterfall. It is as good as my Pa4x, but a bit longer throw. I just got my SD40 module, and they go together very well.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: What keyboard would you still use or use instead.. - 11/02/17 08:12 AM

I have the 61 and it hs been sitting on top of a digital piano at a house gig for three months. It has waterfall, and it's lighter, obviously than my M-1, B-2, C-3 or 80's Suzuki/Hammond (first one-single keyboard-can't remember the model)

To use for left-hand, it's great. Wish, for this application (over an 88)wish I had gotten the longer one, but to move and use over an arranger, it's ideal.

The guy formerly with Average White Band now uses one on Daryl's house...sounds GREAT!

Can't wait to use it with a Midjay I bought from Don and never used.

Russ