Martin Harris Yamaha Genos

Posted by: Scott Langholff

Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 02:18 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBLCaBRcwY&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWjlYMf49M
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 06:33 AM

would have been nice to hear more traditional styles and some singing/vocal harmony also??
Posted by: FransN

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 06:43 AM

Sounds great. I want one. Can someone borrow me some money smile
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
would have been nice to hear more traditional styles and some singing/vocal harmony also??

Some style demoes at the bottom of this page
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 07:58 AM

It sounds fantastic, but keep in mind that Martin Harris is an outstanding player and can make any keyboard sound damned good.

Gary
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

I domt think you are even allowed to call it a vocal harmony processor anymore... its below acceptable

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Dnj

I domt think you are even allowed to call it a vocal harmony processor anymore... its below acceptable

I wouldn't know, I have not heard anyone sing through it yet. I can tell you that I have heard singers through the VH2 using high quality mics that sounded fantastic. Much of this will depend solely on the input source, mic, singer, etc... If you are a decent singer and use the highest quality mics, you will get excellent results with any vocal processor. If you are a lousy singer, the vocal processor cannot make you sound better than you are.

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary cool
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 08:58 AM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

If you are a decent singer and use the highest quality mics, you will get excellent results with any vocal processor.
All the best,
Gary cool
Gary cool

Sorry to disagree, Gary, but Bocelli could have been singing through the VH on the technics and he would not have sounded good ... as far ahead of the curve as technics was, that is the one feature they did not master ... it was unusable ...
There ARE poor sounding VH out there ...
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 09:00 AM

Yup - the Yammy VH is sub par, at it's best ... no matter WHO sings through it.
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Dnj

Are there any demos of the harmony yet?

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 01:28 PM

Tony, I agree on the technics - it was horrible! However, contrary to UD's statement, I have heard some outstanding vocal harmony come from Yamaha VH systems. This was written way before the VH2 and Dan really provided a lot of great information on the old system, all of which can be utilized on the VH2, but most people just don't want to take that much time to set up the system. In this world of instant gratification, they tend to want something that makes them sound great right out of the box, and without reading the instruction manual. I do all my vocals through the keyboard's vocal processor, however, I use it in line with the TC Helicon Harmony-M, which is no longer available. Later tonight, I'll record some comparisons and post them for you folks to decide which sounds best. You may be surprised, just as you were with the headset mic V/S the handheld.

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 01:32 PM

Yes, I was able to spend about an hour editing the Yamaha VH and finally got it acceptable, but still not great.
Just turn the Korg on and sing, and it works great!

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
Yes, I was able to spend about an hour editing the Yamaha VH and finally got it acceptable, but still not great.

Yamaha VH2 has a big tracking issue no matter what you do to edit it....I hope they address this major problem in their arrangers..

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 01:35 PM

Like I said, you young whippersnappers just want instant gratification. wink Bet you like fast cars, fast women, fast food, fast internet, fast phone connections, and fast boats, too!

Gary cool

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Like I said, you young whippersnappers just want instant gratification. wink Bet you like fast cars, fast women, fast food, fast internet, fast phone connections, and fast boats, too!

Gary cool

Yes I do! And I have most of those!
As far as keyboards, what I have is better suited to what I need, and is about 1/3 the price, I like it even more.
Posted by: zuki

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 06:38 PM

Yes, I was able to spend about an hour editing the Yamaha VH and finally got it acceptable, but still not.

I hope the 1000 has a good harmonizer (not to steal the thread, sorry), but I've never had any luck with the 800 or 3X. I think I sing fairly on key too smile

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By zuki
Yes, I was able to spend about an hour editing the Yamaha VH and finally got it acceptable, but still not.

I hope the 1000 has a good harmonizer (not to steal the thread, sorry), but I've never had any luck with the 800 or 3X. I think I sing fairly on key too smile

I didn't like the 800, but the 900 and 3x worked fine for me.
Posted by: J. Larry

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/02/17 08:49 PM

Just watched the Martin Harris demos of the Genos. Is it not incremental, rather than revolutionary? Sounds much like the T5 to me, which I have. Yes, some nice features, but need to hear more. The drums are still wimpy compared to the competition.

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/03/17 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By J. Larry
Just watched the Martin Harris demos of the Genos. Is it not incremental, rather than revolutionary? Sounds much like the T5 to me, which I have. Yes, some nice features, but need to hear more. The drums are still wimpy compared to the competition.

If you close your eyes you can here Tyros 5 for sure in many ways...
I hope there is more to this ....I would love to see playing and singing VH demos in deteail please ?
Korg features Every part of the keyboard upon release in easy to see you tube videos why cant yamaha do the same for Genos?
Posted by: musicforyourday

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/03/17 10:27 AM

come on Donny no way close to T5

Much better.

Re: Martin Harris Yamaha Genos - 10/03/17 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By musicforyourday
come on Donny no way close to T5

Much better.

we all have our opinions..especially the drums..
most people want to see what constitutes 2k more in price then a Korg Pa4x with Genos before the spend money wouldn't you say?.

good luck....