Deane
Posted by: Torch

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/26/17 02:49 PM

Alte Kameraden (Old Comrades)
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/26/17 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By Torch
Alte Kameraden (Old Comrades)

I downloaded it twice and there doesn't seem to be a first page. I have the complete sheet music here (in Eb or F) if you need it. Great song!

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/26/17 05:31 PM

It is three pages all together including the first page with the title. However, here is a nice arrangement in Eb. 5 pages all together. You can download from this library;

No need to sign up. Just wait 15 seconds.

https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:IMSLPImageHandler/5%2F56%2FPMLP81969-Teike_Kamer.pdf
Posted by: hammer

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/26/17 07:08 PM

Thanks guys,
Deane
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 01:09 AM

I thought Deane was probably asking about Under The Double Eagle March as I'd never heard of Double Eagle Polka before so I thought I'd download it to see what it looked like. Ha, did I do a double take as it is one in my own handwriting done in the late '60's or early '70's. I remember writing it out taking it out of a red fake book with classical music, marches, etc. What a surprise as I don't recall sending that out ever but I guess I did. headphone

Alte Komeraden is a cool march I used to play on trumpet with our city band in Wisconsin where all the German's settled. I remember it being a real lipper.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 01:24 AM

This is the original I copied it from. I guess I wanted to play it in C instead of Bb.

It really flips me out that my copy from about 50 years ago pops up here on SZ. ha
Posted by: 124

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 07:46 AM

Sometimes you gotta love the web. :):):)

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 10:09 AM

Wow! I went to youtube and typed in Under the Double Eagle Polka and also Under The Double Eagle March - two entirely different songs.

It is amazing how many of the bands played the wrong song under the title given.

There is a great Souza rendering of the march and Chet Atkins has a good one of the polka.

Deane

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 12:30 PM

Are you talking about this one by Chet Akins? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qcDlNxK5M

If so, it is actually the same song; he is just playing the chorus part.

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By Torch
Are you talking about this one by Chet Akins? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qcDlNxK5M

Torch.....I'm sure you meant well, but that has to be the worst rendition I've ever heard of UTDD.

I'll never forget, I asked a friend once when we were both overseas "what do you miss most about the United States?" He thought for a second and I guessed he was about to say "American pizza." Instead he answered with "brass bands playing military marches in parades!"

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 08:58 PM

Torch,
You are correct! They are the same songs. I just had a chance to really sit and listen to each
one - my bad.

I'll have to decide which of the two versions I want to play.

Deane
Posted by: DonM

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 10:17 PM

I played it tonight, because your post reminded me of it. Of course, I did the Chet version. smile

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/27/17 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
I played it tonight, because your post reminded me of it. Of course, I did the Chet version. smile

Don.......did you "take a knee" while you were playing it?
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/28/17 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By Mark79100

NOT FUNNY! and IMO, totally inappropriate on this forum.

chas
Posted by: jimlaing

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/28/17 05:56 AM

Here is the version of Double Eagle that I use; from a book that I own. I added a few markings to it, otherwise it's just a version from a book of marches ...

I hope the attachment comes thru OK :-)

Jim

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/28/17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By hammer
Torch,
You are correct! They are the same songs. I just had a chance to really sit and listen to each
one - my bad.

I'll have to decide which of the two versions I want to play.

Deane
Deane,
After watching a number of clips on Youtube, I will have to say you are far from wrong. It looks like it was a fashionable thing years ago for many well known artists and groups to play the excerpt from Under The Double Eagle. Because of the instrumentation and the style, it does sound like a totally different tune.

It was funny to read the comments for Chet Akins version; one person thought the Chet Akins version was a country tune and said, "This is what country music is meant to be not that current crap!" Another corrected him, "Country music was meant to be a 19th century Austrian march? :))
Yet another said, "You guys are all wrong. It's Sousa. Brush up on your marches folks." Actually, all these years I thought it was a Sousa, too.

Anyway, arranger players can appreciate a well known tune played in a totally different style and instrumentation. I enjoyed all different versions. Myron Floren even had a Disco Polka rendition. What's that??? Well, one of the three links below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcJi5nF03o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQlgqtfieSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8ib39YObo

"That's a Sousa March. L

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/28/17 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Mark79100

NOT FUNNY! and IMO, totally inappropriate on this forum.

chas

Sometimes you're like Donny.....have to say something about everything.

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/29/17 05:26 AM

Not everything, Mark......and sorry that you can't see that in the current political (and cultural) climate, this is potentially a 'hot-button' issue, and particularly for those of us who believe in and support the First Amendment. Perhaps for you this is a trivial thing; for me, it's not. But clearly our 'world view' on social issues are miles apart. Oh, and in Donny's defense, at least he knows which lines shouldn't be crossed on a music forum. Have a nice day.

chas

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/29/17 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By cgiles
Not everything, Mark......and sorry that you can't see that in the current political (and cultural) climate, this is potentially a 'hot-button' issue, and particularly for those of us who believe in and support the First Amendment. Perhaps for you this is a trivial thing; for me, it's not. But clearly our 'world view' on social issues are miles apart. Oh, and in Donny's defense, at least he knows which lines shouldn't be crossed on a music forum. Have a nice day.

chas

Chas......this might surprise you to learn that I'm very much cognizant of everything going on in the world today, not only with politics, with EVERYTHING. I'm a very aware person, always have been. I read a lot, listen to news shows everyday, listen to talk show hosts on the car radio (instead of music), debate and discuss with myself just about everything that one can debate and discuss with oneself.

Now I'm sorry the remark offended you, but I don't feel it was necessary for you to take me to task over it. We both know it wasn't meant to offend anyone.

Now, being a very "aware" person, I've noticed over the years here that you don't take too well to me, and that ANYTHING I say seems to offend you. May I suggest that you don't read "anything I say" anymore and save yourself a lot of angst.

To your credit, I really enjoy reading your posts, and I will continue enjoying reading your posts but I will make it a point NOT to comment on them so I don't upset you further.

Mark
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/29/17 08:12 AM

I suddenly miss Diki
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/29/17 08:22 AM

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I suddenly miss Diki

laugh2

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/29/17 08:36 AM

Mark, I don't dislike you. I am going to send you a PM and try to explain WHY your post offended me (and it did). As you can see by Bernie's post, this will only 'go south' if we continue it here.

chas

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/30/17 11:04 AM

Not only is this a pain to read but the title of this thread posted by me was
"Two Leadsheets Needed"

Deane
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Need two Leadsheets - 09/30/17 05:34 PM

Hope you at least got the lead sheets. wink

All the best,

Gary cool