Posted by: DAN.2000

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/08/17 11:07 AM

What a teaser !!!!
Posted by: jingleman

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/08/17 11:11 AM

Leave it to Donny to dig this teaser out...just sayin'
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/08/17 11:22 AM

It looks like the reg mem buttons are back under the screen. I am now interested.
Posted by: Marcus

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/08/17 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By jingleman
Leave it to Donny to dig this teaser out...just sayin'

Right!...at 09/08/17 12:02 PM

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/437185/Yamaha_Genos_on_Vimeo#Post437185

.........at 09/08/17 08:58 AM

Must of took a lot of digging.

Marcus
Posted by: jimlaing

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/08/17 12:26 PM

I can't tell if that's a touch surface to the left of the screen, below the 6 knobs, or if it's just sliders??

I was trying to determine if the "body style" of the keyboard is any more 'compact' than the Tyros, but can't really tell! Great "teaser"! ...

Jim
Posted by: Bachus

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By jimlaing
I can't tell if that's a touch surface to the left of the screen, below the 6 knobs, or if it's just sliders??

I was trying to determine if the "body style" of the keyboard is any more 'compact' than the Tyros, but can't really tell! Great "teaser"! ...

Jim

It has been pulled the video...

Can anyone explain in detail what was shown! For us poor sould that didnt see it?

Did it look a more like a montage or like a tyros5?
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 04:27 AM

I did see it before pulldown, but lines and inside "schematics" coming "out of the air" in a futuric way did not make easy to see details.
Sound was good (if from the kb), Bigger screen and a bit different layout than T5.
Good teaser, wish I had recorded it while it was there.
This I think was real Yamaha stuff, not a fake.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 04:39 AM

I found it...

http://dai.ly/x601v5e

My assesment

10" touchscreen
6 rotary encoders
9 sliders (hope they both have the lights of the Montage
And indeed some buttoms direct under the screen... could be panel memmories

A dark video, its probably hinting that the Genos will be black, probably the same color and metal housing of the Montahe

All in all, i would guess, the size to be somewhat smaller then the Tyros5..

Hard to teel, time will tell more
Posted by: Mikem

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By jimlaing

Jim

It has been pulled the video...

Can anyone explain in detail what was shown! For us poor sould that didnt see it?

Did it look a more like a montage or like a tyros5?

Hi Bachus, here is a link to the video I just found this morning:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x601v5e

And just in case they take it down before anyone sees it, I've captured a few stills from the video and saved them on my computer. However, I don't know how to transfer them here. If someone can tell me, I'll post them.

Thank you. smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 04:57 AM

The video is also on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkA7aqjIDmw
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 07:13 AM

https://youtu.be/7CHSbw6zpRU
Posted by: Dnj

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 07:16 AM

smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 07:38 AM

Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 11:14 AM

allotta hooey
Posted by: mweuch

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 01:22 PM

I might finally pull the trigger and get this new Yamaha keyboard. Been a Korg guy since psr 9000. Can’t wait!
Posted by: shueymusic

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/09/17 08:16 PM

Let the name leak...
Stay tight lipped...
Introduce it in Germany in the 18th...
Leak a nondescript video...
Show some dealers in the US on the 28th...
PLEASE START SHIPPING BEFORE DECEMBER!!

The YouTube demo sounds fantastic in headphones. If those tones are coming from the "Genos," then I am excited!! Add an editable, easy to use sequencer... then I will be sold.

Genos... a new "Gen"eration of "O"perating "S"ystem.
They have been using the same way of operating the keyboard since the PSR-8000. With competition keyboards and touch screens, they had to do something.

With the Montage... they walked away from the 15 years of Motif and made hard choices (like eliminating the workstation/sequencer portion.) I guess they were ready to make some choices on the Tyros platform.

It's all about the Sounds, Controls/Functions, and Effects. Form factor, touch, and weight are also important.

Can't wait!
Posted by: abacus

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 12:09 AM

Just remember that most manufacture online demos are made using pro equipment to record it, along with an experienced engineer & player, which is why a lot of users gets disappointed when they get it home and cannot get it to sound anything like the demo.
The golden rule is always to try before you buy, and never pre-order unless you can cancel the order if it doesn’t meet expectations. (Also look for deals on EBay after launch as user’s dispose of them after not following the above advice)
Bill
Posted by: Robbo

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 04:22 AM

Interesting that all have been removed from tube etc. did dealers break the nda or was it Yamaha? I have the korg pa4x and I'm very happy with it. But recently I added a Montage to the output, and boy what a game changer that is.

If Genos goes the same way,gonna be pretty exciting. But they will deff need to address polifany to More than usual and make a reasonable reduction in price to attract new and current buyers.

Don't know why the vids have been removed, really they show very little, but the sound I must say if it was Genos was great.
Posted by: Impuls

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 05:17 AM

https://youtu.be/V-jbl5Txz9M

Impuls :-)
Posted by: Tyrosman5

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 06:28 AM

it's been removed, Bummer ! Lloyd
Posted by: mirza

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 08:17 AM

Unless Yamaha puts editing capabilities as good as Korg has which I really doubt, than it doesn't matter how they paint it what they call. It's still going to be the same old dumb down amateur keyboard.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By Robbo
Interesting that all have been removed from tube etc. did dealers break the nda or was it Yamaha? I have the korg pa4x and I'm very happy with it. But recently I added a Montage to the output, and boy what a game changer that is.

If Genos goes the same way,gonna be pretty exciting. But they will deff need to address polifany to More than usual and make a reasonable reduction in price to attract new and current buyers.

Don't know why the vids have been removed, really they show very little, but the sound I must say if it was Genos was great.

Yamaha did exactly the same with the T5 launch. (Posted some snippets pre-launch and then removed them)

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By mirza
Unless Yamaha puts editing capabilities as good as Korg has which I really doubt, than it doesn't matter how they paint it what they call. It's still going to be the same old dumb down amateur keyboard.

Arrangers have always been designed for the Home Hobby Player, not professional players, hence there are only a miniscule number of professional arranger players.

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By abacus
Just remember that most manufacture online demos are made using pro equipment to record it, along with an experienced engineer & player, which is why a lot of users gets disappointed when they get it home and cannot get it to sound anything like the demo.
The golden rule is always to try before you buy, and never pre-order unless you can cancel the order if it doesn’t meet expectations. (Also look for deals on EBay after launch as user’s dispose of them after not following the above advice)
Bill

I learned my lesson! When the Montage was released, I sold my Yamaha Motif XF6. I wanted to sell and then upgrade. I didn't want it to loose too much value. They said it was a replacement for the Motif... but they took things away that I depended on.

I have a feeling the Genos might do the same thing to Tyros users. I have hope that they started from the ground up and created a new way of doing things! I just want sequencer (pattern and linear with effects routed for you)… An audio player and recorder (set list option to play back MP3 and WAV files)… And overall fantastic sounds!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 11:25 AM

I sure hope that the new Yamaha board will be able to run past
presets and sounds as it has done in the past. I do not want to
have to go to a whole new OS as I am 88 yrs old. New sound are
exciting to me but a new OS is not. Lloyd

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 11:29 AM

I want to add a comment to my above message and that is this.
Arranger keyboards were meant to be easier to play and to enjoy.
Take that away and the bulk of older people who buy and can
afford these boards will go bye bye. Lloyd
Posted by: cgiles

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 11:32 AM

Johnathan (Shueymusic), just curious. Why did you get rid of your VP770 (you and your wife being singers and all)?. I love mine (and the VP550 before it - which I still have) and use it on top of my organ as a controller for the BK7m. It has so many features ie. Audio Key, etc. not found on other boards....plus a few nice Supernatural sounds. What do you use to replace it's functions? Just curious.

chas

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
Johnathan (Shueymusic), just curious. Why did you get rid of your VP770 (you and your wife being singers and all)?. I love mine (and the VP550 before it - which I still have) and use it on top of my organ as a controller for the BK7m. It has so many features ie. Audio Key, etc. not found on other boards....plus a few nice Supernatural sounds. What do you use to replace it's functions? Just curious.

chas

I always had a vocoder since the Digitech VHM5 back in 1992. The VP550 rocked! The VP770 was even better. I used the Vocoder and the string sound that really sounded great. Carrying two keyboards to the gig was a bit too much. So, I got the VP7. I also have the TC Helicon on the Pa4X. An opportunity came up to sell the 770 for $1400... I took it! The VP7 gives me mostly everything I liked about the VP-770.

Now, will Genos have any kind of vocal processing/Vocoder/harmonizer?!?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 02:54 PM

Thanks. Sounds reasonable (and practical).

chas
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By shueymusic

Wondering if you saw this someplace or if you just guessed/made this up?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By Scott Langholff

Wondering if you saw this someplace or if you just guessed/made this up?

I saw this in a video (link below). Just an opinion but it made sense to me. Motif was the name because of using musical motifs (arpeggios) to create music.

https://youtu.be/0SzZ34Co5Bc

Can't wait to see pictures and specs!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/10/17 11:29 PM

What would have to be 'revealed' to me is a way to pay for it short of refinancing my house...😁

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By Tyrosman5
I sure hope that the new Yamaha board will be able to run past
presets and sounds as it has done in the past. I do not want to
have to go to a whole new OS as I am 88 yrs old. New sound are
exciting to me but a new OS is not. Lloyd

And that is why arrangers are dying breed.

Look at what Korg is doing. You can do pretty much whatever you want to do with it. Or , you don't have to do anything. It's extremely easy to use, very professional and sounds great.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 04:03 AM

I want to add a comment to my above message and that is this.
Arranger keyboards were meant to be easier to play and to enjoy.
Take that away and the bulk of older people who buy and can
afford these boards will go bye bye. Lloyd

While i do understand you, at your age, this is exactly the cruxus Yamaha has been wrestling with in the Tyros rangê...

They need to innovate, to stay on top of the market.. but could not change the interface and functionallity to much or they would loose some of their major buyers.. people like you at age, that only want more of the same just better and newer..

When you however look at the Montage and CVP709 series, they show definatley what the addition of a touchscreen can add when it comes to keeping the top interface easy and understandable...for those that want "snorckling" and just playing their instruments..
However a touchscreen also allows for "deep diving" and edditing in underlaying menu's

If i am correct, i think this is the way the Genos will move. Big advantage of the deep diving, is that other users can more easilly create their own stuff and share it with the community, so everyone will directly or indirectly profit from these changes..

What i exect is a cross between tyros5, and motif (6 knobs) but with an idiot proof upper layer of the interface...

For you this would mean, you could go on from what you know and use all your previous tools.. they should be easy to find and opperate, and slowly taste the new stuff in your own tempo....

Anything else would be suicide from Yamaha, despite how much people like me would love to see that..

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 05:01 AM

I'm all for touchscreens because I believe they are easier to use.
My computer is a touchscreen and for the short time I had a Korg
I did like the touchscreen. That is one thing the Yamaha simply had to do to stay with the bunch. I like some of the modern music but it is more about rhythm than content of the music.

My generation enjoyed beautiful arrangements with wonderful introductions. That will never get lost. Lloyd

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 05:05 AM

My computer is a touchscreen and for the short time I had a Korg
I did like the touchscreen. That is one thing the Yamaha simply had to do to stay with the bunch. I like some of the modern music but it is more about rhythm than content of the music.

My generation enjoyed beautiful arrangements with wonderful introductions. That will never get lost. Lloyd

Some of the intro's are definately breath taking..

Thats why i mist of the time try to play the intro on the 88 keyboard, it gives me a lot of pleasure when i can get the intro's only half decent...

An arranger should support both ...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 05:18 PM

Posted by: Eric, B

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 06:19 PM

It's official keys :

https://www.yamaha.com/genos/

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 08:55 PM

Well... there it is... and they call it "a new world of digital workstation." Not an arranger/workstation.... finally a replacement to the Motif?!? The marriage of Motif and Tyros?!? They changed the description of the Montage to Music Synthesizer... and stayed away from the workstation description.

Now... time to start selling off the dead weight. I've got 6-7 keyboards to sell. Thin the herd!!

But this time, I'm waiting for the demos and specs!! And according to the one video, there will be a case/bag and a dust cover.

By Christmas, barring any omissions I need in a workstation, I should see a box under the tree!!!
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 09:22 PM

I try and avoid touchscreens as much as possible. I don't even use it on my laptop and I cringe when I have to program my GPS without a pencil tip. Over the years (if you're still young) I think there's a good possibility that you'll do some kind of damage from the constant pressure on the same spot on your finger. It might not happen, but I don't take those kind of chances myself.
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 09:32 PM

Some of the intro's are definately breath taking..

Thats why i mist of the time try to play the intro on the 88 keyboard, it gives me a lot of pleasure when i can get the intro's only half decent...

Bachus...that remark was genius. Nothing frustrates me more than to hear someone post a demo or watch an amateur Youtube player hit the intro button, produce this lavish intro, and then he comes in with something nowhere near the grandeur of what the intro sounded like. You got the right idea. It should be one smooth line from the start of the intro to the end of the ending...ALL played by the player and not the machine.
Posted by: Sokratis 1974

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/11/17 09:41 PM

Well... there it is... and they call it "a new world of digital workstation." Not an arranger/workstation.... finally a replacement to the Motif?!? The marriage of Motif and Tyros?!? They changed the description of the Montage to Music Synthesizer... and stayed away from the workstation description.

Now... time to start selling off the dead weight. I've got 6-7 keyboards to sell. Thin the herd!!

But this time, I'm waiting for the demos and specs!! And according to the one video, there will be a case/bag and a dust cover.

By Christmas, barring any omissions I need in a workstation, I should see a box under the tree!!!

The new Genos, is a Arranger but not a tipycal Arranger....
It's a new generation Arranger/Workstation....
We wait it....
Posted by: Impuls

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 02:32 AM

and the Official site of the Genos >>

https://www.yamaha.com/genos/

Impuls cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 04:13 AM

Its what i said for quite some time now..

The Genos will inherit what yamaha dropped with the Motif to Montage upgrade... and then some more of what made it to the Montage...

It will be much more workstation and powerhouse then the Tyros... but still every bit as much an arranger as the tyros5

I hope Yamaha remembers a real workstation should also come in an 88 key version...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 05:00 AM

It would be nice to have a line of Yamaha Genos... 61/76/88... all with a slim lined body form.

We will soon witness the marriage of Workstation and Arranger. The workstation had the sounds, effects, and sequencing. An arranger had top notch sounds, preset effects, and styles. I remember using my Tyros 2 in a pit orchestra for Les Misrables. I used user sound banks for my changes. I used a total of 16 sounds and it worked like a charm. At the time, it worked better than my Motif ES. Then later, I played keys in The Rocky Horror Show and the Motif ES was better for that gig. I've done 9 productions and used the same sound set each time.

I want to give my money to Yamaha... I want the Genos to be what I am missing. BUT they need to cover all the bases to make me jump from my Korg Pa4X!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 06:06 AM

It would be nice to have a line of Yamaha Genos... 61/76/88... all with a slim lined body form.

We will soon witness the marriage of Workstation and Arranger. The workstation had the sounds, effects, and sequencing. An arranger had top notch sounds, preset effects, and styles. I remember using my Tyros 2 in a pit orchestra for Les Misrables. I used user sound banks for my changes. I used a total of 16 sounds and it worked like a charm. At the time, it worked better than my Motif ES. Then later, I played keys in The Rocky Horror Show and the Motif ES was better for that gig. I've done 9 productions and used the same sound set each time.

I want to give my money to Yamaha... I want the Genos to be what I am missing. BUT they need to cover all the bases to make me jump from my Korg Pa4X!!

Hard to tell, the pa4x is an incredible machine...and combined with the Kronos and my Mac, it really doesnt allow for much to wish for... except an all in one package with 88 keys..

I dont think i will jump the Yamaha bandwagon, unless they did revolutionise the styles and multipads section..
Posted by: TheWolf

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 06:23 AM

Hmm. What's this about a Genos.

Wolf is intredasted again.

Btw. does anyone know if Scott Yee is still alive? Ain't heard of him for years anymore.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By TheWolf
Btw. does anyone know if Scott Yee is still alive? Ain't heard of him for years anymore.

Looooong time since seen any post from Scott.
His website: http://scottyee.com/
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 08:30 AM

Hmm. What's this about a Genos.

Wolf is intredasted again.

I used to keep in touch with Scott especially after the T5 was released and we both bought one. Haven't heard from him in a couple of years now. Both Ian and tyrosman5 used to keep in touch with him too, but as far as I know neither of them have heard from him.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny

Looooong time since seen any post from Scott.
His website: http://scottyee.com/

That website ain't been updated for like two decades...

I wonder if he's still gigging.

Oh well. Maybe the Genos hype will bring him out (as it did to me..) I haven't been around either. Been concentrating on work and other hobbies (like flying and other crazy stuff). I even sold my T5 due to just getting bored with performing.

We'll see what's about to come with the Genos!
Posted by: DonM

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 10:24 AM

Scott is fine. Maybe he'll check in here soon. smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/12/17 10:39 AM

I even sold my T5 due to just getting bored with performing.

That's too bad, since you were one of my favorite (and definitely most entertaining) performers. Hope the Genos puts you back in the game.

chas

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 02:45 AM

New file formats...

For both song and styles...

The new 16 track song player/recorder will support both midi as well as audio tracks
You can even bounce a midi track to audio (and keep the midi track in the format if you want to step back)
However the midi track will not play anymore, it will be semi/hidden
You can also overdub audio tracks..

Also there will be a new sequencer format for the pattern sequencer inherited from the Motif
Atough, also this new pattern sequencer will support audio loops
You can directly record the pattern sequencer into the normal song recorder..
But also copy to style tracks

There is also a new style format supporting both midi as well as audio..
but the arranger also plays the old styles..
The new style player is much more dynamic
Reacting to the player..

Also there will be a Chord track, and a chord loop...
The chord track plays overall and couples arranger parts to the sequencer
So your arranger follows the sequencer
A chord loop is coupled to a variation...

Dont ask me where i got this info...
But it could be true witouth a doubt...
Also the touchscreen adds a huge amount of direct controll options for styles...
Much like we have seen Ketron do

And last but not least, something i guessed right before..
The 4 kryboard parts will comsist out of 4 awm2 parts (and each part is 8 elements)
Combined with up to 3 split points
So the ensemble voices will just be 1 part
As well as the 4 awm part piano from the montage

Different from the montage, each sound will have 1 effect (montage =2)
But the 4 keyboard parts will have 4 additional effects which can be assigned to a single up to 4 parts
Drum parts will have 8 effects.. but only 2 midi drum tracks can be played live .. at the same time
Drums support round robbin..

I am not going to reveal my source, but i got a mail from him
Two times i got info from him before
Once he was right
And the other time only part of it was right..

Also the rumored ipad integration got confirmed...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 05:29 AM

New file formats...

For both song and styles...

The new 16 track song player/recorder......
etc.

Wish I understood half of that, but if it's true, then at least there is something NEW up ahead.

Hopefully Android pad integration too for us that would not touch Apple products.
Posted by: Brian3331

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 06:14 AM

https://youtu.be/vgPKprJCIk4

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted By Brian3331

Entertaining ,but is it real or just a fake?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 06:27 AM

I'm hearing that many regular arranger players are disappointed & very confused that this new Genos will be TO COMPLICATED and TOO DIFFICULT with a hard learning curve to understand for the average home player to grasp and that many features will never be utilized,..also that there isn't a 88,or 61 version plus the upwards of 5k price? confused1 will be interesting to see & hear first videos of someone actually playing Genos like Martin, Barrtmans, Voncken, etc,...

keys

PS I wonder who will be the first here on SZ to own a Genos I know it won't be me?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 06:53 AM

No 61 key version? The one time I wanted to get back with Yamaha and no 61! Oh well...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By mweuch
No 61 key version? The one time I wanted to get back with Yamaha and no 61! Oh well...

No one can be sure hang in there they just may have a 61 key version. Disclaimer I have no inside information. smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By Stephenm52

No one can be sure hang in there they just may have a 61 key version. Disclaimer I have no inside information. smile

makes sense that a 71 or 76 key version will be the new standard to suit everyone..

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 07:06 AM

Thank you Stephenm52! I sure hope they do. I like the portability of the 61.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 07:38 AM

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=5A1B59FD

So necdetdoni posted this GENOS photo on the other thread on here, is that the real thing?
Posted by: hammer

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 08:06 AM

Donny I think you are right. If the Genos turns out to be to technically complicated for many arranger players to use they will not purchase it. Also, with most arranger players who gig getting older weight and size becomes a big factor. I for one will wait until I can sit in front of one and see for myself how it suits my needs. We have the PA4X and the new Ketron SD9 Pro or a used Tyros 5 to also consider if we are really wanting a change from what we currently play. I called our local Guitar Center and they said it would be about 6 months before they had one, if then.

Time will tell.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 09:08 AM

Seems to be a real picture.

Seems they removed style and sound selection buttons and replaced by touch screen

They have added 9 drawbars, and a nice second screen to display values of the controllers

It should be the same as Tyros 5 + audio tracks integrated to styles
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 09:33 AM

On the subject of if there will be a 61 key Genos, the Dutch website that first (correctly) reported the dates of the teaser videos also said that there will be 61 & 76 key versions.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
On the subject of if there will be a 61 key Genos, the Dutch website that first (correctly) reported the dates of the teaser videos also said that there will be 61 & 76 key versions.

Assumptions...

I called Hollands biggest dealer...
they dont know anything except the dates of the videos

The dutch website is a small lms

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By hammer
Donny I think you are right. If the Genos turns out to be to technically complicated for many arranger players to use they will not purchase it. Also, with most arranger players who gig getting older weight and size becomes a big factor. I for one will wait until I can sit in front of one and see for myself how it suits my needs. We have the PA4X and the new Ketron SD9 Pro or a used Tyros 5 to also consider if we are really wanting a change from what we currently play. I called our local Guitar Center and they said it would be about 6 months before they had one, if then.

Time will tell.

Deane

I agree...Pa4x is all I need now amazing kb.......
Good luck to new Genos players...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 12:20 PM

cool2

Thanks for sharing this picture!

This absolutely is the real Genos, no doubt about it. It is 100% consistent with the first teaser. The sliders in the teaser are on the left of the display, just as this picture. It only seems to be on the right in the teaser, but that's because the hands make it look like this.

This picture is promotion material. It's a perfect cut of two pictures: left in the home studio, right the live stage. Aimed at young(er) customers.

As others have noted too, this design does NOT allow for a 61 key version. This is odd, and will stir up quite some controversy, but it is consistent with a rumour of a month ago, that said there would only be a 76 key version. I believe at this point that the electronic boards are too big to fit in a 61 key version housing. In three to four years from now, the Genos 2 will come again in both 61 and 76 key versions, because Yamaha will use the years to shrink the boards. The 61 key version at several dealer sites are just assumptions on their part.

The pitch bend and modulation wheels have disappeared and have been replaced by a joystick, combining the two wheels. This potentially could also offer a movement to the front of the instrument, not just towards the back. Looks like the Korg joystick.

Above the pitch bend/modulation joystick are three buttons, possibly super articulation buttons.

The blue/red square buttons have black sides, just as the buttons on the Montage have. The groups of lights are recessed, like they lay in an undeep basin. Keeps the radiant light a bit contained and looks more professional.

The six turnable knobs have a marking on top, so they are regular buttons, not encoders.

Above these six knobs is a display showing the values of the nine sliders. They don't show a graphical bar or something, just the numbers.

There seem to be two song/audio players with a slider between them. They share the same buttons.

The tempo and transpose buttons are directly above the style variation buttons.

Some things I don't understand yet because the pictures resolution is not high enough to see it clearly:
- Where are the ocatve up and down buttons?
- What does the display show?
- What is that group of six white buttons to the right of the data entry wheel?
- How do you select sounds and styles?
- Why is the style control buttons group pushed so far to the left? It's farther to the left than the Tyros 5. There's no need for that, since the panel has room to shift the style controls to the right...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Genos will be TO COMPLICATED and TOO DIFFICULT with a hard learning curve

I tell ya, I wouldn't mind that at all. Bring it on, as long as learning and mastering the new tech will bring about tremendous results.

Let's make Yamaha great again.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 01:07 PM

It's not going to be difficult at all. For the people that mostly play styles without modifying them, or using just factory sounds it is going to be pretty much the same as using any Tyros or Korg arranger. Now we have to see how deep the editing features will be on Genos. Hopefully much more than Tyros. On Tyros it was retarded anyway. But, we will see soon enough.
Posted by: Steve A

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 01:49 PM

For 3 years ya'll been waiting for some news from Yammy, any news on this instrument....You guys FINALLY have info & everyone is whining BOTH ways....It's too complicated, it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that. They changed this, they changed that.

You want new stuff......Guess what...IT WILL BE NEW!!!!!

These threads are hilarious....

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By Steve A
For 3 years ya'll been waiting for some news from Yammy, any news on this instrument....You guys FINALLY have info & everyone is whining BOTH ways....It's too complicated, it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that. They changed this, they changed that.

You want new stuff......Guess what...IT WILL BE NEW!!!!!

These threads are hilarious....

Yeah but they're still better than my organ-playing buddies that want each newer clonewheel to sound ever closer to something that came out in 1939 smile smile.

chas
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 02:36 PM

So THAT'S it ? ... we want the old stuff new, and the new stuff old ?!?
confused1

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 03:04 PM

I already pre-ordered mine, I don’t care what it cost I just have to have the latest and greatest. I don’t care whether it’s old stuff repackaged. Life is too short
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I you believe the above statement I also have a nice bridge in Newport, Rhode Island that I’m willing to sell to anyone who would be interested. smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 03:30 PM

I also have a nice bridge in Newport, Rhode Island that I’m willing to sell to anyone who would be interested. smile
Donny will buy it, DonM might too. Fran will buy it if you rename it the ROLAND Bridge, heck, I might even buy it if you list it under SDOTD smile smile.

chas

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 03:31 PM

Has anyone ever asked yourself why do I need it and is it going to make me play better?

once the price is released the crap will hit the fan...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 03:59 PM

I'll tell you one thing. The ridiculous prices for these new boards has to be rationialzed to a more reasonable level. If companies want new players in the market, these boards I think are about 2k over where they need to be to create long term profits. If Yamaha would do the right thing, based on Montage 76 around $4300 aud would be the price. Will wait and see.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 04:32 PM

I'll tell you one thing. The ridiculous prices for these new boards has to be rationialzed to a more reasonable level. If companies want new players in the market, these boards I think are about 2k over where they need to be to create long term profits. If Yamaha would do the right thing, based on Montage 76 around $4300 aud would be the price. Will wait and see.

Tyros5 76 retails at over 5k...
$5,499.99 · ProAudioStar.com
$5,499.99 · AmericanMusical.com
$5,499.99 · Reverb.com
$5,499.99 · Sam Ash
so why shouldn't the newer Genos be at least that
and possibly more too?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 04:43 PM

Gen = abbreviation for Genesis.
Definition: the origin or coming into existence of something

OS = Operating system

Gen OS or Genos = New (arranger ) operating system

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 04:45 PM

Will be interesting to see if they have adopted the "Pure Analog Circuit" from the Montage with the GENOS as this is one of the aspect of montage that has impressed me from Yamaha.....

Quote: "MONTAGE features professional balanced outputs with “Pure Analog Circuit” (PAC). PAC improves the quality of signal after being converted to analog from digital for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response. The result is an output capable of reproducing MONTAGE’s internal content expressively with power and clarity"

source https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 04:47 PM

Good one Donny. That would really blow the minds of the die hard Yamaha owners.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 04:58 PM

Good one Donny. That would really blow the minds of the die hard Yamaha owners.

Deane

I'll bet they are working on GENOS 2 already also.. wink
Posted by: J. Larry

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 05:08 PM

I still contend that if the sound quality of the Genos is dramatically improved over previous arrangers, then, a player will need a speaker system of similar quality, or better, in order to enjoy the benefits of such improved sound. I don’t think an average, run-of-the-mill PA will do it justice.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 05:18 PM

Because the players and lovers of Tyros, whilst they will always buy the next thing, won't cut it in the end for the expansion and development required to increase Yamaha's marketplace.

I have always bought the latest and greatest thing, but honestly I will struggle to continue the practice. I'm in the demographic that has purchased Tyros. So I'm waiting on price, and I'm sure others will be as well. So where are the new purchasers? They are there but disposable income falls much shorter than my demographic. Makes sense to me. Lower the price sell many more, and open up online markets for add ons etc.

Hope I've explained it well enough for you DJ

Rob

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 05:27 PM

Hey the new iPhone 10 is $1000.00!!! Lol

Geno is gonna cost ya big time too..

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 05:30 PM

When will Yamaha shows off the GENOS to the public? This Friday?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
cool2

Thanks for sharing this picture!

This absolutely is the real Genos, no doubt about it. It is 100% consistent with the first teaser. The sliders in the teaser are on the left of the display, just as this picture. It only seems to be on the right in the teaser, but that's because the hands make it look like this.

This picture is promotion material. It's a perfect cut of two pictures: left in the home studio, right the live stage. Aimed at young(er) customers.

As others have noted too, this design does NOT allow for a 61 key version. This is odd, and will stir up quite some controversy, but it is consistent with a rumour of a month ago, that said there would only be a 76 key version. I believe at this point that the electronic boards are too big to fit in a 61 key version housing. In three to four years from now, the Genos 2 will come again in both 61 and 76 key versions, because Yamaha will use the years to shrink the boards. The 61 key version at several dealer sites are just assumptions on their part.

The pitch bend and modulation wheels have disappeared and have been replaced by a joystick, combining the two wheels. This potentially could also offer a movement to the front of the instrument, not just towards the back. Looks like the Korg joystick.

Above the pitch bend/modulation joystick are three buttons, possibly super articulation buttons.

The blue/red square buttons have black sides, just as the buttons on the Montage have. The groups of lights are recessed, like they lay in an undeep basin. Keeps the radiant light a bit contained and looks more professional.

The six turnable knobs have a marking on top, so they are regular buttons, not encoders.

Above these six knobs is a display showing the values of the nine sliders. They don't show a graphical bar or something, just the numbers.

There seem to be two song/audio players with a slider between them. They share the same buttons.

The tempo and transpose buttons are directly above the style variation buttons.

Some things I don't understand yet because the pictures resolution is not high enough to see it clearly:
- Where are the ocatve up and down buttons?
- What does the display show?
- What is that group of six white buttons to the right of the data entry wheel?
- How do you select sounds and styles?
- Why is the style control buttons group pushed so far to the left? It's farther to the left than the Tyros 5. There's no need for that, since the panel has room to shift the style controls to the right...

The octave up/down buttons surely are hidden somewhere, either hard or soft..
The displays shows the vallues of the sliders and knobs
The six white buttons are probably for selecting operating modes... styleplay, songplay, etc etc
You select styles and sounds trough the touchscreen...
there is orher buttons in that place, you just cant see them in the shady picture... probably some bew controlls for the new style for,at..

I answered your questions... i guess i will have atleast 4/5 right.... juts a matter of thinking and combining what you allready know... i guess you could have amswered atleast 3/5 yourself..
Posted by: Nick G

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/13/17 11:16 PM

Is it just me or do those keys look "longer" than the previous keys used in the Tyros and Motif Line? They look more like G70 keys :-) "fingers crossed".

Any news on whether it is a metal case or the usual plastic that is used on the Tyros line?

... The Tyros 4 and 5 didnt do much for me but im getting very excited about this one.

I have a Motif XS, G70 and a PSR S970. If this Genos can replace all 3 I will be very happy :-)

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 02:19 AM

All the time traveling in a bus on vacation gave me some time to think...

Despite the whole list of possible new features, there is nothing i cant do yet with my Kronos/Pa4x/Mac setup...

Yamaha really needs some incredible new features not mentioned yet, to make me shelve €2000 euro on top of my Pa4x... and thats not going to happen... yet despite that reasuring fact, i think its still exciting to see what Yamaha will have to offer.. but it might be just like with the Montage that only the outside design is innovative.. but the inside stays behind... only time will tell

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 03:30 AM

Yamaha is a leader and will have a winner with the Genos. Lloyd

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 03:57 AM

Yes, probably with everyone biting the hype...

But, as the all in one, Genos will fail...
Posted by: adimatis

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 05:32 AM

Not to take away from it's merit, we do not know much actually, but a lot of the early users/buyers of such an possibly expensive keyboard, will get it simply because they can and they want. Does not matter if it is better or smarter or nicer - they will get the latest and greatest just because they can afford it.

smile

And it's all alright, but most definitely no one NEEDS a $6000 keyboard to make music.

I hope that Genos will be one more step away from the traditional arranger keyboard towards computer based application that will gradually replace the old technology. Eventually, this is what will happen.

And this idea that it will be too complicated for someone to adapt to it, yes, it is a possibility, but really shouldn't. Things should become easier, no? If it will be, or seem to be too complicated, Yamaha will simply fail the whole idea of a new generation of arrangers/workstations. But I don't think they will.

In the meanwhile, what exactly could this new keyboard bring that would be so game-changing? It's a rethorical question of course. Time will tell.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 06:32 AM

Yes, probably with everyone biting the hype...

But, as the all in one, Genos will fail...

Not every product is a winner...
it wont be for everyone for different reasons..it might take a few Genos model versions 2,3,4, etc, down the road to get it right just like Tyros,...one way to find out is wait and see. Personally I am flush with what I have and can do with my Korg Pa4x.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 06:38 AM

cool2

What if the Genos Is totally different from the picture we are getting and is considered a Synth workstation.
Then the Tyros 6 appears with a large screen

Might be a double release!! surprised

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 06:52 AM

Could this be the one?
It’s a mockup obviously, but there are quite some
similarities with the lay-out in the video.
what do you think? and will it be too difficult of a Learning Curve? confused1

From Psr Tuorial...
"Hi Guys,

For many years I have about 25 Yami friends. They are living in Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands and the UK.

Like me they are between 65 - 75 years old.
We are regulary in personal contact with each other by e-mail.
None of these guys, except me, is an active PSR Tutorial Forum member.
Most of them are reading our Forum discussions and messages regulary ( like many other people, I guess ) but prefer to discuss these issues privately.

After seeing and hearing the first Genos teaser and reading comments and reactions of Forum members most of them were very impressed by the piano sound of the Genos but worried at the same time. Many of these guys are afraid to upgrade.

For many years my friends are all very familiar with Yami arrangers.
Most of them are T4, T5 and S-serie players now.

However, a lot of questions are arising.

Questions I cannot answer due to my poor technical knowledge.

Perhaps some of our Forum experts might be capable to answer these questions ? That would help a lot, I guess.

There is no doubt in my mind it is too soon and too early to answer many of these questions since nobody is aware of the Genos features yet.
In a couple of weeks we all know a lot more, I may hope.

Plse read their questions as follows. ::)

01. What about the " old " software and third party software collection ?
Will this old software ( packs included ) play well on the Genos ?
02. What about the " new " Genos software ?
Will conversion be possible ?
Will new software be available soon, also by third parties ?
Will this new Genos software be usable for the S-serie too or can we expect a complete new S-serie soon ?
03. What about the exchange value of the Yami kbs ?
Why are the present new selling T5 prices so low ?
04. Will the Genos be another plug-and-play instrument or will it be more a synthesizer and much more technical ?

Your reactions would be very much appreciated. Thank you !

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 11:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNsZRkQujTs
Posted by: zalmang

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 12:10 PM

Here's another site with a similar leaked photo:
https://ask.audio/articles/yamaha-genos-digital-workstation-synth-image-leaked

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 12:58 PM

Yamaha reps are probably sitting back laughing hard at all the hoopla and rumors of all the features etc, of whats to come with Genos...
it's all part of a very well planned out master marketing plan.
Tick Tock, Tick Tock...

Good Luck

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 12:59 PM

As if they have a cure for cancer.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 01:20 PM

So soon we forget....

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
So soon we forget....

Best forgotten, as compared to the Technics KN7000 the T1 was naff; hence the reason the KN outsold it by at least 2 – 1. (The T2 on the other hand was a game changer)

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 03:09 PM

Similar to the first Motif...
It was out and competed against The Korg Triton.
But then a short time later... 2 - 2 1/2 years later, the Motif ES hit it out of the park!!

Will Genos repeat?!?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 07:45 PM

If that pic is real ... it's a sexy beast ... but it's as big as Bienne of Tarth!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 08:16 PM

In this video, we see parts of the new Yamaha Genos, but only for a few seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdbmEGyyNg

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 08:48 PM

The Genos has the Berlin Orchestra in it?!? Strings and brass?!? Live audio playback and control of samples from the Berlin Orchestra?!? Or do we get 20 live audio styles featuring samples from the Berlin Orchestra.

Specs... where are you!!! Hope to see you soon! Right after the trickle of the Genos information turns into a flowing river!!!

Still need to touch it and hear it before I buy it!!!

Now Rhythm Is A Dancer is stuck in my head!! Hello 1992... SNAP!
Posted by: OldNewb

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 09:26 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 10:02 PM

The Genos has the Berlin Orchestra in it?!? Strings and brass?!? Live audio playback and control of samples from the Berlin Orchestra?!? Or do we get 20 live audio styles featuring samples from the Berlin Orchestra.

Specs... where are you!!! Hope to see you soon! Right after the trickle of the Genos information turns into a flowing river!!!

Still need to touch it and hear it before I buy it!!!

Now Rhythm Is A Dancer is stuck in my head!! Hello 1992... SNAP!

Mmmm more confused? Ok can see real Orchestra backing a style, been done many times before, but,? Is this Orchestra in the Genos? Not really sure. Love the effex on vocals, but no harmoniser? How many tracks from the Genos can you record at once etc etc etc? Love that song, but not a lot to go on yet?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 10:06 PM

I am guessing this board is going to be like an iPhone/iPad 📲. where you will have to download probably some audio apps from yamaha or from 3d party developers in which we could then purchase in apps 🎼 styles, loops, midis, 🎹audios 🎻 and mp3s. Maybe we could also purchase yamaha apps such such audio effects 🎛 and such like those apps from ik multimedia. And in my opinion that's why it's going to be called the GenOS for Genius Operating System Digital Workstation! 📀💿💽💻🔊. Just wishful thinking 😂

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 10:58 PM

I see in this video, elements like Audio Modeling of Audya..
However here it's not only Audio and Percussion elements, but and melodically Audio Riff also!!!...
I think is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!......
Audio Melodically Riff in Style???????...
REALY AMAZING!!!!!
I can't wait!!!!!!.... crazy bounce

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/14/17 11:11 PM

We know as much about this things as Jon Snow knows ...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 01:14 AM

I think it’s supposed to make you think that it is a music production tool

Bill

Posted by: Anthony Johnson

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 03:19 AM

It's supposed to be an arranger keyboard we are talking about so it's all meaningless until we see someone playing it live so we can hear what the voices and styles are like.

The gimmicks of audio clips etc. do nothing for me.
When playing gigs, the audience wants to hear it all coming from us. they can play audio at home to their hearts content without needing a keyboard around.

I have never used audio or midi files except when I take my break and my audiences have always been happy enough to listen to me.
Tony

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 05:34 AM

Music is wonderful because we can all share in different ways!

I'm a singer... but I can create arrangements from the ground up using MIDI as a tool. People want to hear my wife and I sing. The arrangement, which I created using the sounds available to me, it there to support our singing.

The Genos would be a creation tool for me by supplying an editable sequencer with top notch sounds. In a pinch, the arranger side would give me another level of quick arranging using the "pre-sequenced" sections to create a performance or backing track. It should also give me a way to playback sequences of arrangements I made from the computer or past workstations. When I play a gig, I also play a sound live over the top of my created arrangement.

As a piano player, I'm a chord player. Again, it supports my singing. Bass notes in my left... chords in my right... melody in my voice.

Arranger playing is another skill and has an art of its own. Mostly chord control in the left, and melody in the right. In arranger/style mode, I normally play full keyboard and still sing over the top of the "live chords" I enter on the fly.

But, if you play in style mode, you are still playing a MIDI file and just using the technology provided to change the chords and variations. If you created the style from the ground up, then your audience is hearing what you can do. If you are using a preset style, they are listening to the programmers music while you tell it what chord to play.

So, me using a backing track that I created from the ground up is still someone hearing me and my talent. Again, it is to support my singing. Style playing is a skill... a very musical skill but if you didn't create the style, your audience is listening to ͏y͏o͏u shape someone else's midi file in sections via chord definitions.

Now, the Genos should cover a lot of different ways of musical creation and control. Different ways are just that... different. Not wrong... just different! We are only on this earth for a short time... MAKE MUSIC!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 06:30 AM

Music is wonderful because we can all share in different ways!

I'm a singer... but I can create arrangements from the ground up using MIDI as a tool. People want to hear my wife and I sing. The arrangement, which I created using the sounds available to me, it there to support our singing.

The Genos would be a creation tool for me by supplying an editable sequencer with top notch sounds. In a pinch, the arranger side would give me another level of quick arranging using the "pre-sequenced" sections to create a performance or backing track. It should also give me a way to playback sequences of arrangements I made from the computer or past workstations. When I play a gig, I also play a sound live over the top of my created arrangement.

As a piano player, I'm a chord player. Again, it supports my singing. Bass notes in my left... chords in my right... melody in my voice.

Arranger playing is another skill and has an art of its own. Mostly chord control in the left, and melody in the right. In arranger/style mode, I normally play full keyboard and still sing over the top of the "live chords" I enter on the fly.

But, if you play in style mode, you are still playing a MIDI file and just using the technology provided to change the chords and variations. If you created the style from the ground up, then your audience is hearing what you can do. If you are using a preset style, they are listening to the programmers music while you tell it what chord to play.

So, me using a backing track that I created from the ground up is still someone hearing me and my talent. Again, it is to support my singing. Style playing is a skill... a very musical skill but if you didn't create the style, your audience is listening to ͏y͏o͏u shape someone else's midi file in sections via chord definitions.

Now, the Genos should cover a lot of different ways of musical creation and control. Different ways are just that... different. Not wrong... just different! We are only on this earth for a short time... MAKE MUSIC!!!

Shuey very well said excellent definition of what we do...thanx

clap keys clap

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 06:38 AM

keys

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 06:40 AM

cool2

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 06:57 AM

http://www.camaro24.pl/genos-style,c202.html

Information from Poland, from a company producing excellent Tyros styles (works with Yamaha).With the release of GENOS new styles will be available for this new arranger,

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 06:59 AM

Monday is coming?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 07:33 AM

Not soon enough!!! Hurry!!!!!!! I'm feeling creative!!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 07:38 AM

Those pics don't look like a Tilt up Display? frown
hope I am wrong.. confused1
Posted by: adimatis

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 08:07 AM

...grab your guitar! Fast! wink
Posted by: Melodious

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 08:41 AM

Vid removed!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 09:01 AM

It's not a tilt display, Donny.

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 09:06 AM

Who knows WHAT it is ... all we know for sure, is that it's a mystery.
(I prefer comedy) smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
It's not a tilt display, Donny.

Gary cool

I figured that Gary no Tilt display,....too bad....low sitters will definitely have a glaring viewing problem
just like the Pa900, etc,..and only 76 keys ver? thats a double deal breaker for me if I was interested..

Monday is coming! wink

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Who knows WHAT it is ... all we know for sure, is that it's a mystery.
(I prefer comedy) smile

... and 6380 + posts about something no one REALLY knows anything about ... dancers rolleyes

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 09:29 AM

a touch main screen
the main screen is recessed, tilted and fixed
a reworked interface, with a "Montage like" selection of the styles: left the category "buttons", to the right the selection of the style itself
more space for style names (and probably also for other names as well)
organ like sliders. The shape of the slider knobs resemble an organ slider. So an Organ World is probably in the Genos.
a screen above the six knobs, showing their function and value. "Chorus" can be seen, and "Reverb"

A totally new style engine
But the big reveal is in the sound track. This is only a live recording of the woman's voice and maybe some parts. The rest is coming from the Genos style engine!! shocked

The orchestra plays some "licks" that are repeated over and over. It suggests that you can import a sound loop into the style engine, and the Genos will take care that it will fit the style tempo and loops perfectly. Maybe the keyboard will follow the pitch as well.

I can't hear if the style engine is solely based on audio parts, or contains MIDI parts as well. In the latter case, Paul was right ("Styles combining audio and MIDI").

How useful is it?
The sound track sounds fabulous, no doubt about that. But it also raises some BIG questions: How do the styles sound when you don't have an orchestra at hand to play the parts? In other words, what can I, as an enthousiast amature, do with the Genos? How do the "normal" voices sound like? Are they as life like as the audio recorded ones?

And the final question, what does this keyboard bring to the (musical) table? Combining loops to make music is being done for a long time and is the domain of computer DAW's and VSTi's (virtual instruments). Is the strength that you can play this "Rhythm" sound track LIVE? That the Genos follows your chord playing perfectly with audio instruments?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By Anthony Johnson
It's supposed to be an arranger keyboard we are talking about so it's all meaningless until we see someone playing it live so we can hear what the voices and styles are like.

Tony

Who said it is supposed to be an arranger, it may be something completely different that is even better. (Having to rely on automated backings is a serious limitation of arrangers)

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 11:15 AM

I got a interesting email question saying that with all these added ARPS/Audio phrases or what have you to the music,, to the possible Genos technology are we starting to realize that little by little it's becoming closer & closer to operating a DJ production machine like the Akai MPC series with keys? I remember reading that many players rather have a stripped down less busy style when playing?

I replied simply "Monday is coming".

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 11:54 AM

Posted by: musicforyourday

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 12:07 PM

this Thing is gonna have a lot of Montage in it i am thinking it gonna be a little more modern then most of you guy think

it gonna be Awasome.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By musicforyourday
this Thing is gonna have a lot of Montage in it i am thinking it gonna be a little more modern then most of you guy think

it gonna be Awasome.

maybe they feel that this generation will soon fade away and genos will try to consume the younger people now to get ready for tomorrow? surprised

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 12:13 PM

Well, I for one would be totally out if this keyboard is aimed at the dance and hip hop crowd. My entire gig calendar is made up of audiences age 70 and above. Time will tell but if this turns out to be accurate It would push me even further in the Ketron and Korg direction. Right now I use a Ketron SD7 and a Tyros 4 and both work very well for my audiences. If all I am going to do is play my old Tyros line styles and Yamaha legacy styles on a Genos why would I spend the money?

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 12:15 PM

Well, I for one would be totally out if this keyboard is aimed at the dance and hip hop crowd. My entire gig calendar is made up of audiences age 70 and above. Time will tell but if this turns out to be accurate It would push me even further in the Ketron and Korg direction.

Deane

Dean your killing it with the KETRON SD7 continue with your success and make them happy day after day!!

keys

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 12:17 PM

Donny,
You are really right. This year I will play about 270 senior venue gigs. About double what I usually play and the ONLY change has been my move from Yamaha to Ketron.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 12:23 PM

Guys I would not rush to get rid of you PSR and Tyros Keyboards just yet

I think this Genos is gonna be aimed to more contemp guys and oldies as well but Yamaha has got to get a new Audience in the arang market

but I think it gonna be very cool.

black in color a good step prob aimed a music creation and style playing

taking from the Montage with super nob and 2 synth eng I think it gonna have much better AD converters it gonna sound a lot better

and the effect eng is gonna take from the momtage

I hope they do allow to utlize the effect from the sterio inputs

so I can use my guitar and other inst and use on board effects

not flip screen will be a issue for me i hope they did not do that

and make the touch screen better then Montage.

a combo of Montage and Tyros and auido recording and song creating it gonna be a winner.

I am guessing 4,800.00 map for 76

the market for 5 to 6 thousand dollar keyboards is shrinking

I am thinksing 3,800 to 3,900 street price

let see soon we will Know
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 03:20 PM

Well it's a brave move by Yamaha . I have not yet heard a style I like or could ever use . If they are following the montage EDM route then there will be a lot of very disappointed Yamaha fans . Hold on to your T4 and T5 folkes . It might be the last classic arranger Yamaha makes .

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By spalding1968
Well it's a brave move by Yamaha . I have not yet heard a style I like or could ever use . If they are following the montage EDM route then there will be a lot of very disappointed Yamaha fans . Hold on to your T4 and T5 folkes . It might be the last classic arranger Yamaha makes .

A very wise post wink

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 04:24 PM

Yamaha sure seems to know how to manipulate the hype....and the folks following this hype.

🤡
Posted by: frankieve

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 05:44 PM

sounds like there is a lot of people overreacting to something they don't know much about. If Yamaha has decided, which they should, to bring in more modern elements into the Genos, it would be a very smart move on their part, remember, if you go back 10-20-30 years etc, people would be saying, if you guys bring that crazy rock music in we are going to be ruined, those long hair Beatles or that crazy hip-shaking Elvis, or that foul mouth Johnny Cash.

Just because Yamaha likes to highlight the new stuff, doesn't mean they neglected or took out the old stuff. For all you know, they re-worked all the styles and added specific sounds to highlight those styles.

Yamaha has to move forward and embrace new music and new technology, name me one company that has stayed in the past and has flourished? Even companies that seem that way have secretly modernized, it's human nature. Even if you are playing rehab centers or retirement homes, let's say they median age is 80-90 years old, guess what, 10- years from now, the 70-80-year-olds will be there, and 20 years from now, the 60-70, and so on.

So, unfortunately, things will progress and change, you can either try to fight it and you will not win, or embrace it, and slowly change with it.

I am looking forward to Yamaha showing us what they can do. I gig with a Tyros 5, and can pretty much 95% say i will be with a Genos without even hearing it.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 06:00 PM

I am up for the new modern styles and sounds. I've stayed away from yamaha for the past 14 years cuz to me personally, I just don't like their sounds. But I do really like the motifs sounds so am hoping they have bunch of Montage and motifs sounds on this Genos.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 06:36 PM

It's hard to believe Yamaha would throw out the "baby with the bath water" in developing a new arranger, but I believe Frank is right. We all know Yamaha has deep pockets and a large r&d department, so opening new horizons makes sense.

To be honest, when you really listen to all arranger demos...they still sound similar. Even the Korg PA 4X still embodies the "Korg sound". They have introduced some nice technology, but poor Steve McNally with Korg sounds like his voice is shot out when doing his 10,000 demo featuring pretty much the same old song and dance.

Yamaha has a lot of muscle in their demo department, so it's hard to believe this keyboard will fail to amaze. Yamaha has become somewhat of a punch line on this forum, so hopefully they will dazzle some of the naysayers with some new cool stuff, and trickle it down to their future MOTL models as well.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 10:54 PM

What's happening on Monday?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/15/17 11:10 PM

I think it's the official announcement for Genos keyboard.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 02:38 AM

Thanks Don,

When you say official, does that mean specs and so on?

Rob

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By DonM
I think it's the official announcement for Genos keyboard.

Not the official anniuncement..

Monday is the first show off in Germany to a group of 500 choosen dealers from Europe..
They are still under an NDA after that..

Altough if friendly asked by phone or mail, some might give away basic information,
Like will there be 61 and 88 key versions?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 07:45 AM

OK, thanks, I really haven't followed it that closely.
If they follow tradition, they will have them on the market before Christmas.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 01:10 PM

My gig situation and market is very similar to what Hammer described. Guess I’ll hold on to my two Yamaha arrangers until the dust settles. As much as I’ve tried to like other arranger products, my ear and preferences still lean toward Yamaha. Even tho’ I have little interest in modern styles, if that’s the direction the Genos takes, I’d consider it, if it shows up with fantastic ensemble sections, new choral voices, multi-pads, and related features. That would fit well with my project studio.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 05:15 PM

OK, thanks, I really haven't followed it that closely.
If they follow tradition, they will have them on the market before Christmas.

They will, early November... maybe even oktober

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 06:10 PM

I hope it’s less than 5K, TYROS 5 too much.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 07:25 PM

Well my Montage 76 was $4350 AUD so I would expect Genos to be somewhere around there if Yamaha want to make workstation inroads into this makes great sense.

I gotta tell you I think the Montage is the most exciting instrument I have played, and if Genos is anywhere like it with the inclusion of styles etc, this will be very exciting

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 07:35 PM

Well my Montage 76 was $4350 AUD so I would expect Genos to be somewhere around there if Yamaha want to make workstation inroads into this makes great sense.

I gotta tell you I think the Montage is the most exciting instrument I have played, and if Genos is anywhere like it with the inclusion of styles etc, this will be very exciting

Montage 6 was exactly €1000 cheaper then Tyros 5-61. So dont expect the Genos to be any cheaper... Montage pricing is comparabale to Motif, Tyros has allways been more expensive

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 07:51 PM

I think the arrangers such as the TYROS61 or the Pa4X61 are way more expensive the the 61 key montage and kronos! For example, montage and Kronos 61 are priced at around 3K while the arrangers are between 4k to 5k.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By frankieve
sounds like there is a lot of people overreacting to something they don't know much about. If Yamaha has decided, which they should, to bring in more modern elements into the Genos, it would be a very smart move on their part, remember, if you go back 10-20-30 years etc, people would be saying, if you guys bring that crazy rock music in we are going to be ruined, those long hair Beatles or that crazy hip-shaking Elvis, or that foul mouth Johnny Cash.

Just because Yamaha likes to highlight the new stuff, doesn't mean they neglected or took out the old stuff. For all you know, they re-worked all the styles and added specific sounds to highlight those styles.

Yamaha has to move forward and embrace new music and new technology, name me one company that has stayed in the past and has flourished? Even companies that seem that way have secretly modernized, it's human nature. Even if you are playing rehab centers or retirement homes, let's say they median age is 80-90 years old, guess what, 10- years from now, the 70-80-year-olds will be there, and 20 years from now, the 60-70, and so on.

So, unfortunately, things will progress and change, you can either try to fight it and you will not win, or embrace it, and slowly change with it.

I am looking forward to Yamaha showing us what they can do. I gig with a Tyros 5, and can pretty much 95% say i will be with a Genos without even hearing it.

I absolutely agree with you Frank..
I think yamaha brings, really, a revolutionary Arranger/Workstation Keyboard...
We waiting at to 2nd October more information...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/16/17 11:09 PM

I guess we have to pay for the manpower of sequencing the arrangements and programming the sounds. $1.50 per sound and $2.50 per style?!? That's pretty cheap! But, we only use 25-75 sounds... good sounds!! Everyone is different so that's why we need 1200 sounds and 500 styles.

October 2nd is a Monday!! Looking forward to the specs!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 01:08 AM

Official Launch October 2nd, shipping in November, with pre-orders hopefully filled before Christmas. Launch Date

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 01:10 AM

I think the arrangers such as the TYROS61 or the Pa4X61 are way more expensive the the 61 key montage and kronos! For example, montage and Kronos 61 are priced at around 3K while the arrangers are between 4k to 5k.

Kronos 73 and PA4x 76 are virtually the same price. (£3060, £3166)

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By Sokratis 1974
Originally Posted By frankieve

I absolutely agree with you Frank..
I think yamaha brings, really, a revolutionary Arranger/Workstation Keyboard...
We waiting at to 2nd October more information...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 02:16 AM

Donny,
You are really right. This year I will play about 270 senior venue gigs. About double what I usually play and the ONLY change has been my move from Yamaha to Ketron.

Deane

You're getting paid for all these gigs right?

I don't understand why you couldn't cough up 5 grand immediately for a new revolutionary Yamaha arranger. I know I will.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 11:14 AM

keys

Did anyone see this Genos demo?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 11:20 AM

Certainly doesn't make me want one. That could have been anything.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 12:01 PM

I think that demo was from the Montage a few years back!

https://youtu.be/eYNaV8MHCV0

False audio demo for the Genos unless the Seattle Orchestra strings are in the Genos too!

Still waiting for a Monday!!! Soon!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 12:19 PM

A agree with Don. If what we have seen so far is real I doubt it will spark my interest.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 12:34 PM

A agree with Don. If what we have seen so far is real I doubt it will spark my interest.

Deane

Dean you are not alone in your sentiments...
I can see your concern judging by the trend toward modernness of the Genos, ..... let's just wait and see it wont be long before we all know.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 02:33 PM

Before making any rash judgments, I would want to see, touch and play that rascal in person. Then, and only then, can you make a rational decision about the product, which, of course, will be based upon your own preferences. Just watching a pro demonstrator perform in front of a camera really doesn't tell you anything about the product when it comes to your actual requirements and playing abilities. For me, Nah! I don't need it - PERIOD! But, DNJ will likely buy one - that's fer sure. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 02:52 PM

No way Gary love the Pa4x

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 03:20 PM

Ok here's my take on the video, lots of hidden messages I think but of course I could be wrong.

1. So the orchestra is sampled into the Genos. The soundtrack is then created on Genos, then by arrangement, all of the parts are printed into the score, that explains the looks On faces by conductor and musicians when overlooking the score on paper. Then just to prove it's authenticity the orchestra plays the arrangement! Question is are we hearing the Genos in the clip or is it the orchestra?

Also the shot where the headphones are on a personal mixer of some kind? Mm could this be included in the Genos or as a vst in Cubasis? Still analysing?/

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
No way Gary love the Pa4x

Now, where have I heard and read that before? rotfl

Time will tell,

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 04:01 PM

gary,..Never...and I mean it baby...My Pa4x will be like Fran's G70 to me if you can dig what I'm sayin wink .....right Don M? coffee

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 04:19 PM

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 06:46 PM

Donny...don't say never. What if the next generation psr blows the 4X away?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 06:55 PM

Donny...don't say never. What if the next generation psr blows the 4X away?

I'm very happy with what I've got....

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
gary,..Never...and I mean it baby...My Pa4x will be like Fran's G70 to me if you can dig what I'm sayin wink .....right Don M? coffee

hee, hee ...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 09:00 PM

"I believe in love, I believe in old folks, I believe in children, and I believe in you"--the late Don Williams.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/17/17 09:11 PM

If the Genos is truly wonderful, weighs 32 pounds or less, has new operating system, good vocal harmonizer, will fit in PSR bag, has all the real time features and controls of the PA4X, and is PRICED comparable to PA4X, I MIGHT be interested, after testing it for a month with right to return it.
We all know that isn't going to happen, so I remain convinced I will be playing my Korg for as much time as I have left...probably. Or until PA5x comes out and is properly field-tested.
I would be more likely to down-size than buy another TOTL arranger though. Happy camper here!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 04:42 AM

Open and honest mind Don. No bashing brands. Everyone has different needs and facilities so there is a brand for all.

The new Genos gets a lot a hype but we need to "Kick the Tires"
to see if it has what we need. Lloyd

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 04:48 AM

Why are so many eager to switch from T4/T5 sound & style wise....?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 08:03 AM

"I believe in love, I believe in old folks, I believe in children, and I believe in you"--the late Don Williams.

What a loss that was! Fantastic voice he had for sure. My wife and I have been watching his concerts on YouTube-great stuff.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 08:52 AM

Tracy,
My wife went to high school with Donny Williams at Gregory Portland, Texas. She did not know him well but said he was well thought of.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 08:54 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Why are so many eager to switch from T4/T5 sound & style wise....?

"... Pot, meet Black Kettle ... Black Kettle, Pot"
smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 08:56 AM

Don,
like you, I wonder how much longer I will be at this and the thought does cross my mind that what ever keyboards I own they might very well be the last ones. I sure can't buy into an over weight system unless I just plan on letting it sit at home on a stand. In many respects the Korg has done a good job with the PA4X in terms of size and weight.
One of these days we might get over your way and visit.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 09:11 AM

I thought those hands looked familiar!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 11:51 AM

Oh, that's great!

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 12:04 PM

And here ya been telling us you’d never part with your PA4x. grin

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 12:11 PM

But I think this one surprised me the most!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 12:49 PM

rotf2
Posted by: 124

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 12:49 PM

Jeez, hades froze over at last.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 12:52 PM

Tracy,
My wife went to high school with Donny Williams at Gregory Portland, Texas. She did not know him well but said he was well thought of.

Deane

Interesting Deane, small world I guess :)-thanks.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 05:36 PM

Thanks for showing us those pics..

The first made me smile..
The seccond burst into laughing

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 05:50 PM

My pleasure gentlemen, I'm out of work due to an injury...so filling my time doing silly, fun stuff. I would've included Donny...but he's camera shy.

jingleman

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 06:22 PM

Don,
like you, I wonder how much longer I will be at this and the thought does cross my mind that what ever keyboards I own they might very well be the last ones. I sure can't buy into an over weight system unless I just plan on letting it sit at home on a stand. In many respects the Korg has done a good job with the PA4X in terms of size and weight.
One of these days we might get over your way and visit.

Deane

Love to see you Deane. I'm working Tuesday through Saturday nights!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 06:24 PM

Looks like the secret is out! smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 06:55 PM

I knew it! wink

Gary cool
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/18/17 07:01 PM

You will hear from my lawyer... grin

Not for posting my pic without permission.. smile

Not because you have me playing a Yamaha.. frown

But for showing me play a wrong chord.. that I would never play.. wink

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/19/17 06:19 AM

Fran...I think that's the "genious" of the new Genos. You don't have to play the right chords in order to make it sound great! 😃🎶

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/19/17 01:09 PM

https://youtu.be/flR8hFKvCGg

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/19/17 01:16 PM

Great news.....lots of rumors were correct.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/19/17 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Wow.....lots of information packed in that post smile smile.

chas

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/19/17 03:23 PM

It might even make America great again. 😜😜😜😀😀

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/19/17 05:26 PM

I hope that fellow’s information is valid. I still want to hear the reaction of someone who was present at the initial, live presentation.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/19/17 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

76 keys only...
At €4500/$4500

Thats a lot of information..
And the dealers where shown a prototype...

Enough for me, to be dissapointed again..
Still no 88 key or module version..

Actually its a relieve, i can keep a lot of money in my pockets
So i will remain a happy Korg camper

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/19/17 08:44 PM

If there is anything i want right now...
Its maschine mk3 by native instruments
Which is an extended rack/desktop version
Of the new ni komplete kontrol mk2

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

76 keys only...
At €4500/$4500

cool2

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj

76 keys only...
At €4500/$4500

"DNJ. I'm not so sure that guy is on the money?! And I think for Yamaha to be competitive the will have to be competitive on price. The pa4x is a great keyboard, you love, I love it, so what will make anyone make the jump? Price! That's it. If the Genos is way over price Yamaha whilst getting early adopters will over time loose a market they want to capture?.

What are the credentials of the so called info source. Dealers are under an MDA, hardly think they are going to divulge details to the source that has been quoted. Think on it."

cool2

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 04:38 AM

Robbo people will buy Genos just out of Yamaha loyalty no matter what the price.....because its NEW.

For 61 keys your gonna have to wait for the S970 replacement MOTlL KB whenever that is..which should be more of an arrranger vs a workstation/synth/arranger like Genos

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 05:27 AM

Do you think not having a 61 key version will be a mistake from Yamaha that is going to cost them customers?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 05:52 AM

Do you think not having a 61 key version will be a mistake from Yamaha that is going to cost them customers?

If it’s only 2” wider and weighs similar then No, as it is still nice and compact which a lot of users are looking for.

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 05:54 AM

Yes Bachus, I think if there really is only a 76 key version of the Genos it will cost Yamaha sales regardless of size and weight.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 06:05 AM

What's the difference 76 keys is fine if the majority plays in their living rooms?
and many Genos features probably wont serve the needs of the traditional arranger KB player but more suited to the EDM dance players, etc,....judging by whats been seen so far. That said whats wrong wit the T5/T4
Im sure they are still very capable instruments for anyone's arranger needs.....shelling out a big chunk of change as stated $4500.00+ makes you really think first for a living room piece.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 06:47 AM

The home organs of old were $4000-$20,000. Multiple keyboards, pedals, volume pedals, sound system built in, etc. If the Genos is 2 inches longer than the Tyros 5-61 and weighs in the 35 lbs range, then it would be a gigging board for me if it does what I need! AND gives me the "I gotta have" feeling.

Tone (The sounds must speak to me!) Touch (Semi-weight) - Look (size, weight, portability)

The Monday I am looking forward to is October 2nd! I have a gig at 1PM and the Genos will be officially announced. Then I will see a real price, real specs, and real pictures!

Then, I will look forward to trying one out... live and in person. I will have to drive to Philly or DC to see one... unless I work out something with the local dealer. I want the feeling I got with the 2 keyboards 🎹 I used the most over my 31 years of using electronic music items. The Korg O1/Wfd and the Yamaha Motif ES were the keyboards that made how I do music possible.

Pa4X is no slouch!!! But I keep an open mind!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 07:04 AM

Jonathan Too much COFFEE this morning?... coffee

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 07:55 AM

And the list keeps growing!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 08:10 AM

Nice!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 08:11 AM

Too much caffeine!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 12:28 PM

I will look forward to trying one out... live and in person. I will have to drive to Philly or DC to see one...

YES! Come to Philly, and we'll have lunch! Actually, I'll be in Spring Lake NJ for 2 weeks at that time .... come there!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 01:12 PM

Does the Korg Pa4X for pre-orders only? I haven't seen it at any of the local dealers in my area such as GC, Sam Ash or some of the smaller shops. But I do see Tyros 5 pretty much everywhere. Kinda disappointed Genos might not be in 61key.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 06:34 PM

From the PSR Forum:

The New Yamaha Genos

Product Name: Digital Keyboard (Yamaha Genos)
Dimensions (W x D x H): 1234 mm x 456 mm x 138 mm
Weight: 13.0 kg
Keyboard: 76 Tasten (FSX) Initial Touch/Aftertouch
Controllers: Joystick, 6 Knobs, 9 Crossfader, Art.1, Art.2, Art.3
Display: TFT Colour Wide VGA LCD (800 x 400 dots / 9 inch) Touch Screen
Sub Display: OLED (Live Control View / 589 x 48 dots)
Tone Generation: AWM Stereo Sampling, AEM Technology
Polpyhonie: 256 (max.)
Number of Voices (Presets): 1.652 Voices + 58 Drum/SFX Kits
Featured Voices: 10 Revo Drums/SFX, 76 Ensemble, 390 Super Articulation, 75 Super Articulation2, 82 MegaVoices, 40Sweet, 81 Cool, 160 Live, 24 Organ Flutes.
Number of Styles: 550 (491 Pro, 39 Session, 10 Free Play, 10 DJ)
Expansion Voice: Yes (max. 1.8 GByte Onboard)
Storage: Internal Memory (58 GByte) / External USB Flash Drive
Microphone: Yes (Combo Jack) +48 Phantom Power

10 Revo Drums Mmmmh
Joystick Mmmmh

Eric

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 07:58 PM

If a Philly store has one in stock to try in early December... I'm there!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/20/17 08:08 PM

28.66 lbs?!?

48.58" W x 17.95" D x 5.43" H... 18" deep... the Pa4X is 14".

256 notes of polyphony ... 128 Stereo like the Montage?

Joystick... x and y... or like Roland... x buy only Y in the positive?

Still got to hear it!! Time will tell!!! October 2nd... get here!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 04:59 AM

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 05:52 AM

Donny, good find. Early demos seem to flatter modern dance styles and contemporary timbre's.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 06:22 AM

Donny, good find. Early demos seem to flatter modern dance styles and contemporary timbre's.

Thanx Jingleman,.....one thing I noticed looking at the SIZE
is that Genos is sooooooooooooo DEEP in inches!!! surprised

Didnt they learn from Tyros?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 07:25 AM

That is somewhat strange. However...an issue most men would envy! 😉

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 07:29 AM

That is somewhat strange. However...an issue most men would envy! 😉

Yeah at this age your lucky to wake up in the morning... rotf2

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 07:42 AM

Where’s all those select dealers who’ve seen and heard by now? Strangely silent. Must be sworn to secrecy until the appointed time.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By J. Larry
Where’s all those select dealers who’ve seen and heard by now? Strangely silent. Must be sworn to secrecy until the appointed time.

Yes, supposedly there is a NDA in place.
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Thanx Jingleman,.....one thing I noticed looking at the SIZE
is that Genos is sooooooooooooo DEEP in inches!!! surprised

Didnt they learn from Tyros?

The Japanese take great pride in their design. Attached is a part of an article describing the design of the Tyros by their design engineer.

An Attractive silhouette at any angle.

The guiding principle behind our design was eliminating the barrier between the player and audience. Because performance keyboards are frequently used at house parties and in cafes, the player and audience are already in closer proximity than when the player is on a stage, which creates a relaxed, intimate feel. Rather than straight lines and flat planes, which can convey a sense of strength and sophistication, we chose to use seamless curves that flow from one side to the next to bring the performer and audience closer together. The result is a design with smooth surfaces and a sinuous silhouette, one where the hard edges have been ground away to show its inner spirit.
We used 3D software to draw the flowing lines and create a silhouette that looks good from any angle, combining numerous curves. We went through numerous rounds of cutting the 3D data on a plotter to see how a design looked in a mockup. Why did we go to so much trouble in the pursuit of this curved design? Because we believe that a professional tool should have a shape that looks good from any angle.

Montage Design:

Previous Yamaha keyboard and synthesizer designs tended to give a more static impression. For the MONTAGE, however, we felt that a dynamic style was necessary to allow the instrument could positively express the power and sound of on-stage performances. This design concept is most true for the back of the synth, which is the side that the audience directly sees. Here, the aluminum allows for a deep, concave surface that catches the stage lights and sets off the static Yamaha logo against a background of deep shadows.
Meanwhile, the control panel maintains Yamaha's logical design to ensure intuitive use. The layout of the knobs and sliders gives very direct access, while their concave shape provides a natural fit for your hands. In terms of functions, the highlight is the Super Knob, which changes colors at different compass points. Its luminance is carefully designed so that it still looks solid when powered off.
There is a photograph that was a particular inspiration for me when designing MONTAGE. The image depicts a huge, but empty, stadium with Keith Emerson focused intently on playing the GX-1. Soon to be buried in fans, the pressure of the gaping space behind Keith bears down on him, but the GX-1 never budges as he pushes it full throttle. This scene makes me think of the instrument and its player as a single unit. MONTAGE fuses with the artist on stage to feed the potential of both, and forges an awesome partnership.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 11:22 AM

Now ask your self this about Genos.....
will the 550 styles be just tweaked Tyros Yamaha styles put into Genos to play or completely NEW created styles from scratch?

at least they changed the Mic input to a combo jack! cool2

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 01:26 PM

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 01:28 PM

All this kid is doing is repeating things he has gotten off of PSR Tutorial. He has no knowledge of his own. That said, perhaps some of it is correct.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 02:26 PM

I concur with Dnj’s point about whether the styles will be something really new. After owning several Yamaha boards, I’d like to hear some styles that don’t sound like the previous model. In particular, I’d like something different in drums and bass. How about a quantum leap forward, rather than a small, incremental step in styles?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By J. Larry
I concur with Dnj’s point about whether the styles will be something really new. After owning several Yamaha boards, I’d like to hear some styles that don’t sound like the previous model. In particular, I’d like something different in drums and bass. How about a quantum leap forward, rather than a small, incremental step in styles?

I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet.... wink

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

The second video is not the new Genos. It is an improv from the T5 while waiting for Genos wink
Eric

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 07:21 PM

Boy another week and another cryptic video. All very nice Yamaha but really could it not have been something different than the last one? like a little more info look at Genos?

Playing games I hate them!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/21/17 11:42 PM

New official video of Genos...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By Sokratis 1974
New official video of Genos...

I am back home from vacation
I made this write up on PSR TUTORIAL based on the video’s
And some of the rumors__

It should give a good idea of what to expect in the new Genos sound sectiom

So,far i have learned that orchestral sounds will be pretty important for genos..

Wondering in what form we will see them..
An advanced form of the ensemble engine, with real multi imstrument division. So instead of hearing 4 ensemble instruments, you will hear multiple instruments like 20 violins, 4 cellos’s etc, yet still playing different notes..(up to 4, maybe even more) much like the komtakt orchestral libraries

Or maybe more like on the montage where you have orchestral sounds of up to 8 sounds and where you could use a knob to add more or less sounds (best use of super knob.

Or maybe even a combination of these two?

The first video got me convinced of the new piano’s.. i even think we might see a piano room feature in the Genos... thats very much fun..

What i have been missing so far in the video’s is EDM, but to me its pretty clear that there will be a huge improvement ( even more then in the psr s970) for modern dance music... in my vision this would not only require the tools of the psr s970 but also an improved synthesizer sound section ( still hoping for a synth world feature) as well as not one but multiple arp’s so each of the left amd right kwyboard parts should have an arp.. altough, knowing yamaha there will probably just only a single arp... fearing they might cross over to much into Montage theritority.. which is sadly not enough..

Real live reports from the 18mseptember late night show tell us there was mostly edm music.. so this would comfirm these assumptions to me..

I am pretty much convinced that what people are calling the 3rd articulations switch, is not an articulations switch but the arp on/off switch..

This should summ up the improved main sound features of the Genos, offcourse there will also be a lot of new sounds all over the board, due to the hugely improved rom size as well as an onboard ram for samples. And the effects section will have made a huge step forward in numbers and quallity.. this base on what we know about the new hardware processors as presented with the Montage.

I would also add a new drums section to it, with maybe even the new revo drums mentioned in a mostly fake specs update, but it could have some real news spoiled... revo drums in vst country stands for real electronic drums like fromRolamd tb 808 series. Which would fit well with the edm part.. but in. The Genos i was more expecting the round robin/some call it wave cycling feature.

Maybe we will see both...

If all this holds true, it might be enough to persway me to buy a Genos for christmass...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 01:28 AM

The last 2 videos seem to focus on music production rather than arranger play, so it looks like they have shifted their emphasis with Genos. (Unless the videos are designed to purposely mislead)
Next week’s video should be interesting, as it should bring everything together.

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By abacus
The last 2 videos seem to focus on music production rather than arranger play, so it looks like they have shifted their emphasis with Genos. (Unless the videos are designed to purposely mislead)
Next week’s video should be interesting, as it should bring everything together.

Bill

Next weeks video will be the 3rd of the Berlin Orchestra...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 04:51 AM

From the European Genos FB group...

Top part we saw already... bottom part was new to me.

Product Name: Digital Keyboard (Yamaha Genos)
Dimensions (W x D x H): 1234 mm x 456 mm x 138 mm
Weight: 13.0 kg
Keyboard: 76 Tasten (FSX) Initial Touch/Aftertouch
Controllers: Joystick, 6 Knobs, 9 Crossfader, Art.1, Art.2, Art.3
Display: TFT Colour Wide VGA LCD (800 x 400 dots / 9 inch) Touch Screen
Sub Display: OLED (Live Control View / 589 x 48 dots)
Tone Generation: AWM Stereo Sampling, AEM Technology
Polpyhonie: 256 (max.)
Number of Voices (Presets): 1.652 Voices + 58 Drum/SFX Kits
Featured Voices: 10 Revo Drums/SFX, 76 Ensemble, 390 Super Articulation, 75 Super Articulation2, 82 MegaVoices, 40Sweet, 81 Cool, 160 Live, 24 Organ Flutes.
Number of Styles: 550 (491 Pro, 39 Session, 10 Free Play, 10 DJ)
Expansion Voice: Yes (max. 1.8 GByte Onboard)
Storage: Internal Memory (58 GByte) / External USB Flash Drive
Microphone: Yes (Combo Jack) +48 Phantom Power

--------------------

Genos Yamaha New Acoustic Drums (with Wavecycling) - Rock Drums, Pop Drums, Vintage Open, Vintage Muted, Jazz Sticks, Jazz Brushes, Vocal Beatbox.
New Percussion Kits (with Wavecycling) - Pop Percussion Kit, Brazilian Kit, Afro Cuban Kit, Compatible Kit.
New Electric Drums - EDM Kit, Trap Kit, Electro Kit, Schlager Kit, 80`s Drummachines Kit`s (Pop & RnB)
New Stingray Bass - Megavoice
New Acoustic Guitars - Fingered Steel String (Gibson) Megavoice, Fingered Steel String (Gibson) Thumb Strummed Megavoice, Picked Steelstring (Martin D45) Megavoice
New Stratocaster Guitar - New Stratocaster Megavoice
New Country Guitars - Ukulele Megavoice, New Mandolin Tremolo & Megavoice; Dobro Bottleneck, New Pedal Steel.
New Pianos - CFX Concert Grand, C7 Concert Grand, CP-80, Ambient Noises (EP´s)
New Accordeons (with Bass Register) - Super Musette, Jazz Cassoto, Bajan, Scottish Accordeon, Steirische Harmonika
New Baltic Strings (with Ambience & Keyoff) - Violins, Violas, Cellos, Basses. (Mega Voe Variations) SmallSection, LargeSection, ShortSpiccato, LongSpiccato, Ambience, Extended Bassrange
New Synth Voices (Leads, Pads, Bass, 80`s) - 80`s Synths, 80`s Pads, 80?s Synth Basses
New Synth Voices (Leads, Pads, Bass, 80`s)
New DSP´s (max. 12 DSP`s) New Real Reverb, New Amp Types (Tweed Guy (Fender Bassman), Boutique DC (Custom Vox AC30 Type), Y - Amp (Yamaha V-Amp), Distomp (Yamaha Stomp Pedal FX)
- 80s Small Box (Fuzz Pedal Simulator)), New Compressor Types, New Leslie FX, Damper Resonance SFX

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 05:15 AM

many on the PSR tutorial forums, including me, PJD JoeH and Maarten... have called them to be fake...

That would at best make a Tyros 5.5

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 06:36 AM

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-teaser-video-three/

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 06:42 AM

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Indislike that organforum...mhe only borrows from other sources..
And then makes people believe its new material
The music he uses as background is none genos either

He claims new fresh material..
Also so,e of the specs that float around are from that forum
They however hve no imfosource at all

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 09:06 AM

I don"t know about you guys but what I am seeing here is very exciting

yamaha seems to me has found a way to put Montage appeg and loops along with styles and trid arrang stuff to offer a new board to all

I think the creativity this will bring will be huge .

now I am 54 and still look to do all types of music

so I welcome the new stuff I just sold my Montage 7 getting ready for this unit I think I am going to get lot of Montage type of stuff and Tyros type of stuff too best of both worlds

I do think this will not be for everybody and trid arrang players might find this product to be to deep

this is why there are many others products on the market
\
I think Yamaha is looking to the Future and has to reach a new audiance

no offence to many of you but they need to reach a new demo to advance there company

just like churches and many other business need to advance to new demos

that being said let just wait and see what is up here

I am excited to see what coming

from my experance with the Montage I think Yamaha is going to knock this out of the yard.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 09:12 AM

I do think this will not be for everybody and trid arrang players might find this product to be to deep

That says it all... wink
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 09:17 AM

Bachus I agree with your comments..

I have a couple hundred VST's that will duplicate this music (?).. loop base is very little effort to produce..

Personally, I have no interest in this... We all will be better served learning to play better.... and not this fake production using other folks material..

Don't dump your PA4x's, Tyros5's, Ketron SD7's or even your Roland E-86 .... yet!!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Bachus I agree with your comments..

I have a couple hundred VST's that will duplicate this music (?).. loop base is very little effort to produce..

Personally, I have no interest in this... We all will be better served learning to play better.... and not this fake production using other folks material..

Don't dump your PA4x's, Tyros5's, Ketron SD7's or even your Roland E-86 .... yet!!!!

Fran you need a BK9......I still would love to play one too...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 10:04 AM

The six assignable buttons to the right of the screen...
HOME
MENU
STYLE
VOICE
SONG
PLAYLIST

30 lbs...
76 keys...
Great Sounds...
Playlist (track playback...WAV I hope)...
256 notes of polyphony...

Looking more and more like a combination of the Motif and Tyros. Anyone need a Korg Pa4X? Not yet... still need to hear it, feel it, and see it first!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 10:28 AM

I think it gonna be close to 38 lbs

more Montage the Motief

T5 and Montage

yamaha would not put Motief tech when there is Montage tech out there.

a new more tech derived keyboard

to fit a newer audience

they got to get new or die out .

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 11:11 AM

Looks like the boss is on "Board"

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 11:39 AM

Motif is Montage... just the next step and a different approach. Genos will be mostly Tyros... just the next step in the evolution. And I agree, they are providing a musical platform to reach a younger demographic.

Tyros 3-4 was a tiny jump. Tyros 4-5 added features and 76 keys but it functioned the same.

Genos is a step years in the making. And since the Motif morphed into Montage... Tyros will morph into Genos. Those tools we lost in the Motif will hopefully fall into the function of the Genos.

Time will keep on tickin'... into the future. 2-3 years from now, we will be talking about the new Genos 2 and the doubling of the features for an incremental upward price increase!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 11:57 AM

Looks like the boss is on "Board"

She said the other day... What? Do you want to buy one?!?
I replied... I have to hear one first!!! Then... maybe?!?

I have 10 gigs from now to December 31st, 2017 and they will net me $3025. Sell a few other pieces of gear I am not using... and there's the money for it! If I sell the Pa4X, I'll have money left over to live on!! Ha!!!

Christmas road trip to a store that will have the Genos in stock!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 12:20 PM

I don"t know about you guys but what I am seeing here is very exciting

Yawn .......................... SO not excited, here. There's literally NO INFO ... just hopes, and dreams.
It's alotta maybe.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
There's literally NO INFO ... just hopes, and dreams.
It's alotta maybe.

You think? smile smile smile

chas

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 01:19 PM

Sorry Dave...You made me do it! keys

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 02:09 PM

AGGGGGGGHHHHHH - Nooooooooooooo !!!!

Yamaha ... BAD - Korg ... GOOD!!!!!

smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 02:23 PM

LOL!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 04:00 PM

And last but not least... (Promise guys...this is the last one)

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 04:32 PM

Oh baby I look the best no?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 04:45 PM

It took me a while, but I think I got the hair just right!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 05:13 PM

Here is a quote from Frank on the PSR Forum.
He is a dealer in Germany and was at the first show in Berlin were the Genos was shown:

"Don't forget till now only teasers are shown...

Wait for the machine, I have seen and heard some fine Artists from different music styles on G.
The G was not made for one "group" only... it is not a "Tyros 6" ... it is much more... so the start of promo is for "new" markets....

Greetings frank ... enjoyed G Berlin"

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/22/17 08:52 PM

I look like "The Fly!"

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/23/17 06:42 AM

I did my best Dave...but I can only work with what I got! monalisa

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 03:55 AM

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Really... someone abused the Genos video to put his own sounds behind...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 07:32 AM

or maybe its the genos in disguise?
Posted by: mc2pereira

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 12:12 PM

[img]https://www.facebook.com/yamahagenos/pho...1804720/?type=3[/img]
[img]https://www.facebook.com/yamahagenos/pho...1804719/?type=3[/img]

[img]https://www.facebook.com/yamahagenos/pho...1804716/?type=3[/img]

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 12:19 PM

Why do i get the feeling this Genos looks like the good old Korg M1?

And Donny, no adjustable screen, how does that make you feel?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 12:59 PM

[quote=Bachus]Why do i get the feeling this Genos looks like the good old Korg M1?

Bachus...you know it's what's under the hood that counts. I think your time with the 4X has made you a full fledged Korgie! duel

Korg.....Yamaha

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 01:30 PM

And Donny, no adjustable screen, how does that make you feel?

Im not a bit excited about Genos,....
I hope whomever buys one enjoys it,
again I repeat I am quite content with my KORG Pa4x it does everything needed.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 01:30 PM

I must admit... I really use the tilt screen on the Pa4X. Flat against the body doesn't work. On the Yamaha Motif XF... it was ok to see at the sunken in angle but it wasn't bright enough to overcome a light over the keyboard. I would hope that the Genos sunken in angle and overall brightness of the touchscreen will be just right.

Now let's see the screen with the power on!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 01:46 PM

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 02:48 PM

Deleted

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 03:33 PM

Hmmm, reminds me a bit of the Pa4x, not exactly but it sure looks like they have taken a page from Korg.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 03:51 PM

It does, Stephen. Sliders, joystick, touchscreen, position of the data wheel, etc. But the soundtrack on that promo is pretty naff. Is it even a Genos?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/25/17 09:34 PM

Why do i get the feeling this Genos looks like the good old Korg M1?

Bachus...you know it's what's under the hood that counts. I think your time with the 4X has made you a full fledged Korgie! duel

Korg.....Yamaha

Well, need to say that the pa4x is all an arranger needs, wxcept the assignable knobs, several arps and in my case 88 keys.

On the Genos picture, you can see that yamaha put on the wrong knobs... it should have been encoders... also there will be just a single arp... it should have been 4... and i still domt see any 88 key or modules...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 08:24 AM

I just found more information about the Genos from a French site. Since I live in Quebec, I will translate it for you all:

"Here's some exclusive information!!!

- The Genos will come in 76 keys exclusively

- The screen is tactile but not inclinable

- The sounds and styles can be chosen from the screen

- No more audio styles, but in their place there will be drum kits of high studio quality

- A real built-in synth with very advanced editing capabilities

- A double sequencer

- Ipad interface and Yamaha applications in Bluetooth

More top functions....but have patience, I will tell you more real soon"

Here's the website: http://fred17.eklablog.com/yamaha-genos-c29430518

Can't wait!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 09:24 AM

A double sequencer... interesting but confusing.

Still looking forward to it!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 10:33 AM

That is weird. A 16 track audio recorder would make more sense.

Although, as I think of it...they might Bluetooth it to Cubasis on iPad!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 05:32 PM

I'm not sure if the Genos specifications have been shared here or not, but I found them from the same site above (I translated some of the words). This list also includes the new sounds and styles:

- Name: Yamaha GENOS

- Dimensions (L x l x h): 1234 mm x 456 mm x 138 mm

- Weight : 13.0 kg

- Keys : 76 notes (FSX) semi-weighted with Aftertouch

- Controllers: Joystick, 6 Knobs, 9 Crossfaders, Art.1, Art.2, Art.3

- Screen: TFT Color Tactile VGA LCD (800 x 400 / 9 inches)

- Secondary Screen : OLED (Live Control View / 589 x 48 )

- Sound Generator: AWM Stereo Sampling, AEM Technology

- Polyphony: 256 (max.)

- Number of sounds (Presets): 1.652 Voices + 58 Drums/SFX Kits

- Types of Voices: 10 Revo Drums/SFX, 76 Ensemble, 390 Super Articulation, 75 Super Articulation2, 82 MegaVoices, 40 Sweet, 81 Cool, 160 Live, 24 Organ Flutes.

- Number of Styles: 550 (491 Pro, 39 Session, 10 Free Play, 10 DJ)

- Internal Memory: yes (max. 1.8 GByte included) for external samples

- Memory : Internal (58 GByte) / External USB key

- Mic : yes (Combo Jack/XLR) + fantom 48v

Other specifications :

- Genos Yamaha New Acoustic Drums (with Wavecycling) - Rock Drums, Pop Drums, Vintage Open, Vintage Muted, Jazz Sticks, Jazz Brushes, Vocal Beatbox.

- New Percussion Kits (with Wavecycling) - Pop Percussion Kit, Brazilian Kit, Afro Cuban Kit, Compatible Kit.

- New Electric Drums - EDM Kit, Trap Kit, Electro Kit, Schlager Kit, 80's Drummachines Kit's (Pop & RnB)

- New Stingray Bass - Megavoice

- New Acoustic Guitars - Fingered Steel String (Gibson) Megavoice, Fingered Steel String (Gibson) Thumb Strummed Megavoice, Picked Steelstring (Martin D45) Megavoice

- New Stratocaster Guitar - New Stratocaster Megavoice

- New Country Guitars - Ukulele Megavoice, New Mandolin Tremolo & Megavoice; Dobro Bottleneck, New Pedal Steel.

- New Pianos - CFX Concert Grand, C7 Concert Grand, CP-80, Ambient Noises (EP's)

- New Accordeons (with Bass Register) - Super Musette, Jazz Cassoto, Bajan, Scottish Accordeon, Steirische Harmonika

- New Baltic Strings (with Ambience & Keyoff) - Violins, Violas, Cellos, Basses. (Mega Voice Variations) SmallSection, LargeSection, ShortSpiccato, LongSpiccato, Ambience, Extended Bassrange

- New Synth Voices (Leads, Pads, Bass, 80's) - 80's Synths, 80's Pads, 80's Synth Basses

- New Synth Voices (Leads, Pads, Bass, 80`s)

- New DSP's (max. 12 DSP's) New Real Reverb, New Amp Types (Tweed Guy (Fender Bassman), Boutique DC (Custom Vox AC30 Type), Y - Amp (Yamaha V-Amp), Distomp (Yamaha Stomp Pedal FX)

- 80's Small Box (Fuzz Pedal Simulator), New Compressor Types, New Leslie FX, Damper Resonance SFX

Sounds good, so far! smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 07:04 PM

Boy that sounds good Mike . C7 Piano if it is true to a C7 I am in

my fav Yamaha Piano

let hope the is A/D converting like on montage and allow us to use guitar and use internal effects T5 does not allow it unless you use mic input

sep input for external devices will be great lets hope they did that

sounds like good board not having tilt screen might be a problem

but let see it and play it

looking forward to this .

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 07:08 PM

it gonna be a wide sucker wider then T5 but shorter then T5

much lighter too

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 07:15 PM

Much lighter is key! Can it really only be 13kg... 28.66 lbs?!?

Double sequencer might also mean a dedicated pattern sequencer like the Motif had. Great way to create a style!!

Very much looking 👀 forward to hearing it... in demo but really want to hear it live! Please have Montage A/D converters... balanced!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 07:26 PM

it got to have A/D inputs converts sep from the Mic input

so I can run external guitar ect and use internal effects

and have it own mic input sep from that but using all internal effects

this has always been my complaint about Tyros L/R inputs can not use internal Effects unless you use Mic

I want L/R input with A/D converter like on Montage with mic input as well.

as must here .

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 07:46 PM

256 poly T5 128 boy this is gonna be a big improvment

be nice to have song player info

but prob gonna be just like T5

jump points hopfully

and backward compat got lot of Midid file to use in T5 and T4

hope they work in this ?
I am sure they will

this is gonna be a Monster .

Donny I know you are thinking about it

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 07:57 PM

Nope not in the least...Pa4x is all I need.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 07:57 PM

Boy that sounds good Mike . C7 Piano if it is true to a C7 I am in

my fav Yamaha Piano

let hope the is A/D converting like on montage and allow us to use guitar and use internal effects T5 does not allow it unless you use mic input

sep input for external devices will be great lets hope they did that

sounds like good board not having tilt screen might be a problem

but let see it and play it

looking forward to this .

I'm hoping it will sound as good as the Montage, and having all the sounds and styles of the Tyros 5 PLUS new sounds and styles as I shared above. smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/26/17 09:05 PM

Those latest specs come from organforum.ro

Its been proven notoriusly unreliable this Genos campaign
Looks like in this case he crossmixed the T5 specs with some s970 amd montage..

There is supposed to be also a real synth inside... as neen leaked by french fred and comfirmed by someone who attended the meerin in Berlin (psr tutorial forum)

No word on other features like the Arps
If ther is truth in this, then its the fact that the audio drums are removed and replaced with high end studio drums...

Organforum is only interested in crearing youtube hits, thats how he earns money...since he had no real inside omfo, he had to make some up. Also it seems that the leak i posted here 2 weeks ago orriginated at organforum and is probably all wrong...

But this list of specs make it sound like a tyros 5.5 and not like a totally new model. If i read this and there is truth in these words,

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/27/17 08:28 AM

Most of the guys that I know that use a guitar with their keyboard run their guitar and mic through a small, Alesis mixer, then directly into the keyboard's mic/line input and switch it to line. For the most part, this tends to work out pretty darned good. The mixer sells for about $100 and also has effects.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/27/17 08:55 AM

thanks Gary for suggestion I have little mixer and big Mixer

I prefer not to use a mixer my goal is to be quick on the set up

I like the on board effects that Tyros and Genos posses

and want to use them better than any mixer any day

also Mixer is another thing I got to set up

when I use my electric I use a Line 6 amplifi Amp/pedal thru the inputs of the tryos and then bluetooth my I pad not mixer needed voice thru Tyros

for Acoustic is the issue I want to use on board effects
of keyboard

but soon I will be buying Trace elliott Acoustic A pedal and I will run it thru line inputs and I will have it covered

Reverb / chorus/ delay tap tempo tuning ect very easy set up quick break down

I only bring 1 guitar so if it gonna be acoustic I have a set up or electric as well

mixers just a added piece not needed unless it a bigger set up then out comes the mixer

EQ and all other stuff is controlled by Tyros

5min set up 5 min break down

2 powered speakers keyboard / guitar ect in and out

on to next gig

all on r 10 cart one trip in one trip out .

Ron

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/27/17 01:08 PM

Ron, back when I used to use a mixer, I had it Velcro'd to my console, therefore, it remained plugged in all the time. No change in setup time at all.

The big advantage of my custom console was that it provided me with a multitude of optional devices without adding to my setup time, which was just 7 minutes at most. I constructed a half dozen or more of the consoles for folks on this, and other forums and with few exceptions, they're all still in use. Everything fit on my R-10 cart, one trip in and out. And, by setting up a second tier on the R&R Cart it provided me with a neat, efficient, setup platform. Several members have utilized my second tier design for their carts and for the most part it works out very, very well for them.

Inside the console is a large, surge protector with a ground fault indicator light, my TC Helicon Harmony-M, the power supplies for my netbook PC, the TC Hellicon, the Keyboard and LED light strips. I mounted an LED light strip on the front of the console, which serves as a light for my sign, which I printed using print shop's Banner Printer program. The sign is beneath a layer of lexan to protect it from wear. The light shines down on the sign and does a fantastic job of lighting the sign, but the light doesn't shine in the audience's eyes. Another strip light is mounted on the back of the console, which lights the top of the keyboard so it can easily be seen in dimly lit conditions, restaurants, nite clubs, outdoor jobs at night, etc... My netbook PC is mounted atop the console and is centered, but that 9 inch screen is just perfect for reading the lyrics when I cannot remember them, and can also be used for Van Basco's MIDI/Karaoke player if you need to use a MIDI file, or play MP3s for breaks. My mic cable remains attached to the TC Helicon and coiled up when transported. Same for the foot pedal that is used to trigger the Harmony-M. Also, there is a 15-foot, heavy duty extension cord connecting the surge protector, coiled up and velcro'd in place for transport. All cables are held in place with Velcro. It weighs 23 pounds.

There was a time when I was doing two to three jobs every day, therefore, fast and efficient was the only way I could keep going at that pace. Ironically, unless I picked up a nite club, restaurant or private party job, I had most weekends off for sailing and fishing, which was great. Now, I have every day off for sailing or fishing, when the weather cooperates. smile smile smile

If you would like the plans for the console, you can find it at PSR Tutorial . The console is in the green duffel bag on the bottom shelf of the R&R Cart.

The second tier of the cart is made of 1-inch box aluminum and held in place with 1/4-inch detent pins purchased at Home Depot. I purchased the box aluminum from a local welding shop because Home Depot didn't have the right length.

In the attached video, you can see by the timer that from the time I parked the car until I was performing the first song was just 11 minutes. Not bad for an old, slow-moving 75 year old. My daughter shot the vid with an inexpensive camcorder.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/27/17 04:44 PM

Is it just me or does it look like the Genos still uses the same plastic casing as the Tyros line except its painted black?... Really hoping they switch to metal this time for once..

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/27/17 05:55 PM

Nick, there are currently many fibre/plastic products that are equally as strong as metal, yet weigh just a fraction of their metal counterparts. ABS plastic, for example, is tough as steel, resists heat, hard to fracture with a heavy hammer, yet weighs next to nothing. A metal case does not make a great keyboard - it's what's inside and what comes out that really counts.

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/27/17 08:16 PM

Gary I understand that scientifically there may be stronger plastic than metal somewhere out in the universe but I highly doubt Yamaha re using that substance in their tyros / genos products.

Why is it hat all High end / pro instruments use metal casing and plastic is only used for the mid range and lower end?

Im sure anyone here would agree that as soon as you lay your hands on a keyboard that has metal casing you instantly have that "quality" feeling that this is something special... U get it with the Motif series, the Montage, the Korg PA 3x/4X, Ketron units, but not with PSR's or Tyros keyboards...

When you look at a keyboard that is made from metal you just know its a more "serious" thing before even turning it on.

people are happy to settle for plastic made keyboards if it does the right thing, which is what many folks have done with the Tyros / PSR and mid range Korg and roland units. And there absolutely nothing wrong with that.. but when you step up to the next level and fork out the extra money for the top of the line.. you dont want to see plastic...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 01:45 AM

Quality of feel has nothing to do with what it is made out of, (Even paper can feel superior to metal) but how it is made and the quality of the materiel used, (Always has done, always will be) so nothing new.

Korg has never had a domestic line, the PA was just an offshoot of the pro line, (Hence they tend to use stage materials (Which still features wood and metal) as that is what they are used to) whereas Yamaha have always had a domestic line, and as arrangers have always been designed for the home hobby player (Hence the amount of pro users is negligible) where it is stuck in one place forever, different rules can apply. (Let’s face it a lot of the stuff made in the world that used to be made out of metal is now made out of plastic, so nothing new really)

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 06:20 AM

Best and most interesting statement ever - "who said that it is an arranger?"

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 06:57 AM

I have often wondered why people are turned off by "plastic" body arrangers. How many
of you have actually experienced a problem due to a "plastic" body? For over 10 years I played Yamaha keyboard and have yet to have a problem with the main frame or body. Oh yes, in one breath folks scream about getting a light weight arranger and then complain about it not being metal. Can't have both folks.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 07:09 AM

I have often wondered why people are turned off by "plastic" body arrangers. How many
of you have actually experienced a problem due to a "plastic" body? For over 10 years I played Yamaha keyboard and have yet to have a problem with the main frame or body. Oh yes, in one breath folks scream about getting a light weight arranger and then complain about it not being metal. Can't have both folks.

Deane

Its a thing of manhood
We are not turned of by plastic bodies
We are turned on by metal bodies

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 07:38 AM

I have had a Tryos 4 for over 5 years never have had a problem with plastic body keeps the weight down for sure

it gonna be black in color Genos so that will have a meaner look and better on stage

one concern for me is i got a look at a good picture and in the song section I do not see the jump points buttons

I really find that to be usful to go back or forward in song mode

maybe iot gonna be on touch screen , I hope the did not forget about that !!!!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 07:54 AM

[quote=Bachus
Its a thing of manhood
We are not turned of by plastic bodies
We are turned on by metal bodies[/quote]

Geeze ... let's leave manhood out of this. Music transcends gender!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 07:58 AM

Dave I listen to your stuff sounds good .

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 08:00 AM

Dave I listen to your stuff sounds good .

Back at ya! I've been to your site as well. You and me, we're hard workers!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 08:18 AM

I am hoping to get some new stuff out soon .

just got to find the time.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 04:55 PM

The last time I picked up a G70, which I believe is made of cast iron, at least judging by the weight, the very first thing that came to mind was "Boy, I would hate to lift this damned keyboard up 6 times a day (3 jobs). And, when I owned a G-800 I really didn't think it sounded nearly as good as my PSR-5700, which had a plastic body and weighed nearly as much. Consequently, the G800 was sold to an old friend that loved Roland arranger keyboards, while I lugged the PSR-5700 around for another couple years. The PSR-5700 was way ahead of its time, but when the PSR-2000 became available at about half the weight, I quickly purchased two of them and sold the 5700.

From my perspective, as a retired, full-time, musician/entertainer/singer, that steel case really had no bearing on my performances. Additionally, if I recall correctly, the interior of that case was not painted or protected at all. Therefore, if you have ever played seaside outdoor jobs, especially at night, that steel case would quickly become a rust bucket.

If you google plastics stronger than steel, you will find there are many of them available and at reasonable prices. The world's largest sailboat uses 5 carbon fiber masts that do not require any additional support, unlike the heavy gauge aluminum masts that must be supported or they will bend and break. The carbon fiber masts weigh 5 times less than the same size aluminum mast.

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 07:18 PM

WHy the heck would they discontinue making the display screen tiltable?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 08:47 PM

As long as it is bright, it will cut through the glare. They have to have a reason. Maybe the Genos 2 (2020) will have a tilt screen?!?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By Melodious
WHy the heck would they discontinue making the display screen tiltable?

Looks....

Money...

Combines with the much better viewing angle of high end modern day displays
Altough i doubt these will be enough to sattisfy most...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 09:02 PM

Here's the latest video, a day early:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWLkgGZpJWE

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/28/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By Mikem

No.... not in Japan... nor in Europe...
There is a world outside of the us you know?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 12:00 AM

I mean really Yamaha promotions people. Three mildly interesting clips with Orchestra's and 2 being vocal tunes, but what are you selling here? How bout the actual product? Genos! Hardly saw it in the three clips, which would have cost a Motza to make.

Please enough with the games, show and demonstrate the product, because from a OMB I've seen nothing yet that makes me think I could really use it on a job. And the leaked prices if correct don't fill me with any excitement at all.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 01:23 AM

Well after watching the latest video I still get the impression that the Genos is aimed at music production rather than easy play arranger, and so the Genos will be more suited to a younger buyer rather than the older arranger players. (Which as it’s a dying market means Yamaha has to change track)

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 02:29 AM

The video’s are just quickly created content... to cover up the first leaked early one..

Yamaha never intended this in the first place..

But they had to do something after the early leaks and spreading of the first video, to keep people happy till Monday
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 02:31 AM

I agree; though they will maintain enough old school to keep their home playing seniors on the string, I would think it will be incremental.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 03:17 AM

These videos are useless and a waste of our time.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 03:54 AM

maybe Genos is more of a Motif/Montage hybrid workstation then a full arranger KB which everyone thinks it is?... confused1
maybe Yamaha will leave the full arranger KB duties to their soon to released better selling MOTL S units S980? makes sense.. cool2

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 04:08 AM

As far as I know, the previous released videos came out on the days Yamaha said they would (Eastern Standard Time). This one, instead, came out a little early. Having lived in Europe twice, I am aware that there are different time zones.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By mirza
These videos are useless and a waste of our time.

Seconded. Boo

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 09:10 AM

Then I'm glad I haven't watched them!

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 10:12 AM

Then I'm glad I haven't watched them!

You know as much as anyone ... the videos are pointless.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 10:52 AM

The videos are pushing this guy's new "Dance Hits from the 90s" project. Interesting stuff if you're into that stuff. Using an orchestra to add a dimension of sound that wasn't on the 90s dance stuff.

Reminded me of the "Hooked on Classics" stuff from the 80s!!!

https://youtu.be/Ecmps6Mh5Yg

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 11:34 AM

As far as I know, the previous released videos came out on the days Yamaha said they would (Eastern Standard Time). This one, instead, came out a little early. Having lived in Europe twice, I am aware that there are different time zones.

All 3 berlin video’s where released in the very very early morning... some call it the middle of the night... in europe...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 02:54 PM

https://youtu.be/ywuuYaY7cY0

Just look at the pictures.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 03:21 PM

This is unbelievable - 33 pages of speculation. wink

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 04:12 PM

Gary cool

It’s entertaining and the PSR forum gets even more than 33 pages smile

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/29/17 09:15 PM

Gary cool

People are already placing orders based on this speculation.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 02:07 AM

Gary cool

I only count 7 pages...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 07:14 AM

Depends on how many posts you show on a page ... Still, 360+ posts and almost 37,000 views !!! ... For a board that hasn't been released yet ... crazy

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 07:17 AM

The sites page counter at the bottom of the thread says 33.

Gary cool

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 07:22 AM

facebook picture...
https://www.facebook.com/TutkuMuzik27/posts/10213820668929163

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 07:28 AM

The sites page counter at the bottom of the thread says 33.

Gary cool

Mine says 17 ...
In 'My Stuff', if you change the number of posts shown on a page, the number of pages changes ...

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

love the black color...
wont be long Oct 2?..before we can really hear it..pro & con
btw is that the new genos speaker system or Tyros? headphone

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 10:29 AM

I didn't change mine, Tony, I left it at the default settings.

Gary

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 10:30 AM

The 33 now 34 is the number now shown if you have not logged in.

Bill

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 11:10 AM

Exciting, eh?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 01:50 PM

Wonder who in arranger history will be the first to own the new Genos? If any of the active posters, here, are early purchasers, let’s hope we get some thorough hands-on reports, so that others lagging behind will know what they’re getting into before trading up.

Re: GENOS Revealed - 09/30/17 04:04 PM

Well,
I bought mine yesterday but I won't have it until November.
Hope it all turns out great.

Deane

Re: GENOS Revealed - 10/01/17 03:04 PM

Re: GENOS Revealed - 10/01/17 07:10 PM

When you go to the Genos is coming page, it redirects you to Tyros 5 instruments so on. no mention of Genos????? really weird

Re: GENOS Revealed - 10/01/17 07:21 PM

They are loading new content. ....
Soon wink
Posted by: zalmang

Re: GENOS Revealed - 10/01/17 08:33 PM

Here's some part numbers:
Yamaha Genos Speaker System =GNS-MS01
Yamaha Genos Keyboard Stand =L7B

(Courtesy of http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/?searchStr=genos)

Re: GENOS Revealed - 10/01/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By zalmang
Here's some part numbers:
Yamaha Genos Speaker System =GNS-MS01
Yamaha Genos Keyboard Stand =L7B

(Courtesy of http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/?searchStr=genos)

Those speakers are not worth mentioning
Reports from Berlin indicate they are still crap
Yiu are much better of using monitors like the hs-8 innyour home studio

And those are probably in the same price range..

Re: GENOS Revealed - 10/01/17 09:37 PM

Soon the Genos will be heared..

So who is going to do an extensive comparison of the 3 top Arrangers?

-Ketron SD9
-Genos
-Korg PA4x

Will Ketron still have the best sounding styles?

Re: GENOS Revealed - 10/02/17 01:59 AM

There's a whole bunch of videos up now.

Go get 'em..
https://www.youtube.com/user/yamahacorporation/videos