KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using?

Posted by: Dnj

KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 05:20 AM

at 2:41 you can get a closeup side view look at it....?
anyone know what brand model?

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 07:31 AM

I keep searching but no success so far...does anyone know? I need to know for a few reasons...
once I know for sure what model I will explain further..

..thanx
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 08:08 AM

Looks like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM31FHTQG

Gary
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 08:21 AM

Looks a bit like Sennheiser, or maybe another of the models listed here? :
https://www.thomannmusic.com/cat_GK_mihe.html

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

gary ???? doesnt look anything like the one shown you posted???

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Looks a bit like Sennheiser, or maybe another of the models listed here? :
https://www.thomannmusic.com/cat_GK_mihe.html

Gunnar I think you may be right, although I am really not 100% sure yet.. cool2 ...looks very much like the AKG C520
or maybe the Shure Beta 54 confused1
....I HOPE SOMEONE CAN ACTUALLY COME UP WITH THE EXCACT ONE JURGEN IS WEARNING PLEASE..
sounds really good in demos also.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/shure_wbh_54b.htm?ref=search_rslt_Shure+WBH+534B+Black_161617_0

https://www.thomannmusic.com/akg_c_520.htm?sid=6c70ddd57367807cef8febf2d6c4ef84
Posted by: Bachus

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
I keep searching but no success so far...does anyone know? I need to know for a few reasons...
once I know for sure what model I will explain further..

..thanx

A surprise gift for me?

Thank you Donny..
Posted by: synerjim

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 10:24 AM

Looks like it's an AKG C 520 to me.

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Gunnar I think you may be right, although I am really not 100% sure yet.. cool2

It's possible to ask him directly .... maybe you get some goodies for your PA4X as well. wink

http://www.sartorius-music.de/kontakt/

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 11:05 AM

Thanx Gunnar sent him an email lets see if I can get a reply.. cool2

I also notice AKG & Crown have merged?

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 01:54 PM

I just talked with Jurgen and as expected the Headset mic he is using in the KORG Tv demos is..... cool2

Hello Donny,

it’s a AKG C520, wireless
;-)

Greetins,
Jürgen

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 02:18 PM

Mic mystery solved....
Now we're waiting for the "mystery of explaination" by DNJ. wink

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 03:04 PM

First off thank you Gunnar for the lead on emailing Jurgen which resulted in an ID of what mic he was using in the KORG TV demos.
Now to get to what I was thinking,........although I have been a staunch NON Headset mic user on stage lately I have been playing my KORG Pa4x alot at home and singing with the traditional mic boom attached to my X stand as I have for many many years,.......looking thru the boom to the display is something I have gotten used to although it's distracting and blocks my view to a point but I am used to it, ....but while doing some serious editing for a few hours I thought after watching Jurgen demo the KORG Pa4x as he was wearing this nice looking AKG C520 headset mic. And so I thought after seeing it actually resting more to the side of his mouth while he sings and performs versus many which I have seen directly IN FRONT which I really dislike for many reasons...but this model peaked my interest and I had to find out what it was. Now that I know which model as suspected i said to my self maybe I should revisit the scenario of using a head set mic so I can see the display better at home....Yes Yes I know Gary & others are laughing
their asses off laugh2 rotfl laugh2 and screaming "I Told You So" but for the mere fact that I will have it set on the side of my mouth when singing I will give it another try,.....so I contacted Frank at Audioworksct and ordered an AKG C520, this time around I will give it a serious tryout when I'm playing at home, lord knows I have enough Pro handhelds, & Wireless systems and studio condenser recording mics here also, cool2
....thanx for all the help everyone and I'm sure there will be more experiences and reviews to follow down the road after using it... keys

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 03:45 PM

rotf2
Posted by: DonM

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 04:46 PM

Shure also recommends that their SM35 mic sits at the left corner of the mouth and not directly in front.
This is to control pop noises. No reason you can't experiment. I've tried them on several occasions and there are pluses and minuses, just as with everything.
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 05:53 PM

rotf2

Gary's next TUNE that we will be hearing.

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 05:56 PM

Gary cool

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 06:33 PM

rotf2
Posted by: Bachus

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/17/17 09:53 PM

Keep us posted donny, interested if it plugs directly into the pa4x or needs an adapter..
did you order the. l version, cheaper comes witouth phantom power adapter, but then yiu have a pa4x with build inphantom
How comfortable does the microphone sit with glasses on, and a headset?

Good luck in testing it

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/18/17 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus
Keep us posted donny, interested if it plugs directly into the pa4x or needs an adapter..
did you order the. l version, cheaper comes witouth phantom power adapter, but then yiu have a pa4x with build inphantom
How comfortable does the microphone sit with glasses on, and a headset?

Good luck in testing it

bachus I will certainly report my findings asap on the AKG C520 once it arrives and i can work with it....take care

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/29/17 10:17 AM

AKG C520 should arrive today,...FEDEX
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/29/17 12:07 PM

Enjoy your AKG Donny. I've used 'em for a couple of years. I recently went to Sennheiser ... it seems a little brighter to me ... couldn't afford a Crown ala Gary.
Ciao

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/29/17 12:27 PM

Thanx jerry......this will be a fun experience using it..

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/29/17 07:21 PM

Jerry, I have one spare Crown CM-311A left - make me an offer. smile

Gary cool

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 04:48 AM

I think AKG bought out Crown?
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

at 2:41 you can get a closeup side view look at it....?
anyone know what brand model?

It blows my mind that I have never, and I repeat ... NEVER heard a vocal demo that really showcases the amazing sound of the TC Helicon in the Korg keyboards. How is it possible that they can't get the same quality singers that demo their standalone units? There are plenty of great demos of the smaller units (not when Tom Lang sings), but to date - there are no vocal demos that would make me go "wow" ... unless, of course, I tried it myself. (which I have)
Most of what's wrong with the demo is balance and note selection. Singing as a part of a vocal group is SO different than singing solo. Geeze ... it's frustrating.

C'Mon Korg - do I have to come over there and kick some vocal a**?

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 08:44 AM

Dave make a vocal video showcasing the Tc Helicon in your Pa900 when you get a chance that would be awesome!!

Ps, I agree singing KB VH is a true art form...
thank you for mentoring me on technic years ago.. cool2

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 08:45 AM

www.daveboydmusic.com
listen to "The Prayer"
One take, live recording with a simple 1 above harmony

*** even "Nightingale" (done 20 years ago on ancient Digitech gear) sounds better than most demos. The trick is in the approach, and the balance.

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
www.daveboydmusic.com
listen to "The Prayer"
One Take, live recording with a simple 1 above harmony

very Nice version one of my favorite songs clap
excellent as usual!

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj

...key could use 1/2 step up imo otherwise excellent as usual!

Naw - then you loose that breathy, sexy vocal quality. It's not a power ballad .... it's a prayer.
smile

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 09:39 AM

https://app.box.com/s/g6dxvvdw35ye4ej93dwpwilnh4wgfkds

Dave you inspired me to give that part a quick short try mistakes & all using the TC Helicon 2 above on the Pa4x quick record..
maybe when I get time I will try to record the whole song lyrics are so beautiful cool2

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 09:44 AM

Nice. Be careful not to wash yourself in too much reverb and strings ... let those golden pipes shine through!

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 09:48 AM

Thanx Dave..will do, wink ....I just picked the factory Piano/Strings patch & went for it... it surly can be adjusted in the future as is the VH rev also.
Posted by: Marcus

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 12:48 PM

Just for another consideration for a nice mic headset to use with an arranger and VH, Roland bundled the Hands-free microphone DR-HS5 with the VP-7. (See details in link, plus nice video near bottom of page). The VP-7 is discontinued, but probably find the DR-HS5 on eBay.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/roland-vp-7-vocal-processor#productDetail

I have used the Roland DR-HS5, but I personally do not like the limitations of a mic set at a fixed distance. I prefer using vocal and mic techniques with the freedom of a standalone or studio quality mic.

Strange that there are no Roland VP-7 videos demonstrating the fantastic Variation Mode (Roland Variphrase technology), that in my view rivals any new VH technology out there, including anything from TC Helicon. Roland further developing this VH technology and adding it to a top end arranger would make for one nice arranger keyboard.

Marcus
Posted by: organgrinder

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 01:55 PM

I have a vp7 and i don't like the hs5 mic but the vp7 works with any mic. It even has phantom power. However, I noticed the new tc helicon for keyboards has a setting called notes and it will do full harmonys dictated by midi notes played on keyboard but vp7 has 8 differant full choir settings. I still love mine but for small gigs I just use my pa900's tc helicon

MEL

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By organgrinder
I have a vp7 and i don't like the hs5 mic but the vp7 works with any mic. It even has phantom power. However, I noticed the new tc helicon for keyboards has a setting called notes and it will do full harmonys dictated by midi notes played on keyboard but vp7 has 8 differant full choir settings. I still love mine but for small gigs I just use my pa900's tc helicon

MEL

Mel would love to hear that VP7 can you make a shorty demo?

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 02:19 PM

I can't do it right now but you can click on marcus's musician's friend linc or go on youtube there are several.
MEL

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 02:26 PM

also look at roland 770 videos on youtube. It is the same processor that is in the vp7.
MEL

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 02:42 PM

Donny, how about a demo of you with your new headset mic? Just want to see if you and mic are getting along nicely. smile

Gary cool

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 02:54 PM

Donny, how about a demo of you with your new headset mic? Just want to see if you and mic are getting along nicely. smile

Gary cool

Hi Gary I will certainly do some demos with the mic asap I just revived it in the mail about 30 min ago I had to do some adjusting to make it fit comfortable on my head but I finally got it to where I like it,...I tried it out for a few minutes and I have to say it really sounds great. I am sorry I sinned against you master & I will admit to you and all my stubbornness which has kept me away from using a headset mic has certainly changed for keyboard/singing work only. I love the freedom and sound of the AKG C520 and the fact that I don't have to have the mic head in front of my mouth also that was a big turn off for me in the past. But yes sir I think I can get to like this and use it for playing KB more & more,.....I am really surprised at how good it sounds, the crispness, and pick up is amazingly clear .....more to come for sure....
and YES I admit you told me so!! coffee

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/30/17 03:35 PM

smile You are forgiven, Grasshopper. wink

Gary cool

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/31/17 02:28 PM

[quote=travlin'easy]Donny, how about a demo of you with your new headset mic? Just want to see if you and mic are getting along nicely. smile

Gary cool

Gary.. I really wasn't happy with the first recording using the headset mic after I posted it so I am removing it going to try again as soon as possible thank you everyone who listened to the first One....
to be continued...

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/31/17 02:39 PM

It's a little tricky but you sound great, very clear. great balance on harmony and no mic stand. I use a headset mic because I am blind in one eye and I can't see 3/4 of my keyboard with a mic on a stick. I loose a little dynamics but I have learned to
control my breath a little more and eveybody seems to think it is better sounding. You are sounding great with that mic and in time you will get used to it and never whant to go back.

congrats MEL

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/31/17 03:08 PM

Thanx Mel...it's a process but I am starting to enjoy it and seeing the benefits while playing and singing too..more to come. You really have to watch it as it picks up every little sound from your voice especially if your a power singer...I also took off -3db gain on the VH too.. I will try a few more recordings as I progress..

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 08/31/17 06:50 PM

You'll get real comfortable with it before you know it.

Gary cool

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 09/01/17 12:09 PM

You'll get real comfortable with it before you know it.Gary cool

Thanx Gary yes little by little working on it tweaking here & there here's another quick Pa4x record.. .....

https://app.box.com/s/smg0c9m6t2keks69i6aw3pyolx7z8u72

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 09/01/17 12:38 PM

Yep, you've got it now. The vocals were crisp, clear and clean, which is what the audience wants to hear. And, with a little practice on the job, you'll become more and more comfortable using the headset mic and be able to produce the same proximity effects using nothing more than voice control. I knew you could do it. smile

One day, in the not too distant future, you will look back on the days using a handheld and wonder why you didn't make the switch earlier.

Good job, old friend,

Gary cool

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 09/01/17 12:43 PM

Thanx Mr. Wizard...the more I sing with it the more I like it you just have to adapt.

Re: KORG Pa4x What Model HEADSET MIC is he Using? - 09/02/17 05:06 AM

While playing KB & singing being able to not have to keep your mouth fixed to the mic is very enjoyable....it gives me a much better unobstructed view of the KB deck & controls, display, etc, which is nice..It's so lightweight you don't even notice you have it on even wearing headphones, voice pickup and tracking for VVH is outstanding from the side of your mouth that was the main reason compared to other units I liked and made me take the plunge, glad I did...