It's nice to finally see Yamaha come out with a new keyboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYPwwtcSxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmEFfVPddqg
Posted by: Dnj

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/20/17 06:05 AM

and why is the display so small? confused1
Posted by: Nick G

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/20/17 07:42 AM

It does everything u need and efficiently. A large flashy colour graphic touch screen isn't always required.

It also keeps the price down to make it much more affordable.

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/20/17 07:51 AM

I guess Montage sales are low....hence a new low end synth now/ or?
Posted by: shueymusic

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/20/17 09:46 AM

This replaces the MM8... they had rebates for $200 to move the final MM8 keyboards. MX88 has the Motif sounds in it.
Posted by: Nick G

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/20/17 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
I guess Montage sales are low....hence a new low end synth now/ or?

Why what makes u guess they are low?

The MX88 is a replacement for the MM8...

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/21/17 02:26 AM

I just didn't hear much about it since it's release .... Have you?
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/21/17 07:18 AM

I like Yamaha a great deal, but this new MX model IMO is grossly overpriced for what it is. This is a "new" synth choc full of ten year old sounds. If I read the info correctly the sound set is from the Motif XS series. At this price there should be XF specific sounds, and a larger screen. I find it hard to justify $1,000 for this when you consider the Korg Kross 88 and the Juno DS 88. Again, I'm a fan of Yamaha (love my MOXF6), but Yammie is really reaching with this model IMO.

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/21/17 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By squeak_D
I like Yamaha a great deal, but this new MX model IMO is grossly overpriced for what it is. This is a "new" synth choc full of ten year old sounds. If I read the info correctly the sound set is from the Motif XS series. At this price there should be XF specific sounds, and a larger screen. I find it hard to justify $1,000 for this when you consider the Korg Kross 88 and the Juno DS 88. Again, I'm a fan of Yamaha (love my MOXF6), but Yammie is really reaching with this model IMO.

Squeak maybe its a way to sell off old parts and stock for Yamaha in a repackage?

also with any synth being you can recreate sounds and edit the perimeters in so many ways you can make so called NEW sounds all the time too.

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/21/17 07:21 AM

Perhaps....

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/21/17 08:03 AM

Sure you can edit the sounds, but the bigger picture is on the feature list. The Kross 88 allows that.., but is also a workstation with a 16 trk midi sequencer (and better screen). The Juno DS 88's patches can be edited, but it has an 8 Trk pattern seq, performance pads, ability to load samples (not just one shot samples or loops), but new sounds. Dan Fisher at Sweetwater did a great vid on this feature. Plus the DS also has a better screen.

All three models use more dated sounds, but they all sell for the same price, and the Korg and Roland models offer much more at the price point.

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/21/17 09:36 AM

Good to know Squeak thanx
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: NEW YAMAHA MX KEYBOARD! - 04/21/17 11:53 PM

I am with squeak on this one . I really dont know what the MX range bring to the table that is not more than sufficiently covered and exceeded by the competion at the same price point t or less .

Just happy to watch some new keyboard demos . These have been really sparse recently .