'Til I Can Gain Control Again

Posted by: DonM

'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/12/17 07:28 PM

Thought I might share a snippet from a recent night at work. It's a song Willie Nelson did in perhaps my favorite movie, Honeysuckle Rose.
He's home from the road and singing it to his wife, played by Dyan Cannon. He told her "he didn't do that anymore", but later on he did and she caught him red-handed. He STILL got away with it! He's my hero!
Everything live on Korg PA4X.

https://app.box.com/s/msoy4q4fgvfp23uxiog8aw20r7vbg3tx
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/12/17 08:40 PM

YEAH !!! ... there's nothing like listening to a Master perform his art ... totally relaxed and confident in what he is doing ...
Thank you, Don ...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/12/17 08:43 PM

Don introduced this song to me a couple years ago - great song.

Gary cool
Posted by: john smies

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/13/17 03:31 AM

Don,

A wonderful song and a superb rendition. As mentioned before your voice and the PA4X are a most enchanting combination apart from your craftsmanship. For the record:
"'Til I Gain Control Again" is a country song written by Rodney Crowell and originally recorded by Emmylou Harris in 1975.

I was inspired by Emmylou's version and recorded it in 2006 on my Korg PA80. Quite a different arrangement from Don's version , just meant as an illustration of how " arranging " can make things sounds different.............
I have included it temporarily on my youtube page:
https://youtu.be/Ql5_zgF1q68

regards
John
Posted by: bruno123

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/13/17 05:27 AM

Don you are so comfortable in yourself – so relaxed, nice. If I keep listening to you I will get to like country more. (smile)

As hard as I may try my voice does not sound country.
Keep the songs coming Don they’re good listening.

John C.
PS, as soon as my Pa4x comes I’ll be looking for help; you did one great job with the Pa900.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/13/17 06:58 AM

again and again the great artistry of Don Mason is shared with the masses...

Awesome Performance with a cherry on top..!!

Thanks for making my day!!

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/13/17 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By john smies

Don,

A wonderful song and a superb rendition. As mentioned before your voice and the PA4X are a most enchanting combination apart from your craftsmanship. For the record:
"'Til I Gain Control Again" is a country song written by Rodney Crowell and originally recorded by Emmylou Harris in 1975.

I was inspired by Emmylou's version and recorded it in 2006 on my Korg PA80. Quite a different arrangement from Don's version , just meant as an illustration of how " arranging " can make things sounds different.............
I have included it temporarily on my youtube page:
https://youtu.be/Ql5_zgF1q68

regards
John

John, I remember your version and it is just as good now as before!
I am a big fan of Rodney Crowell's writing and still in love with Emmy Lou! Did you ever do "Things I Wish I'd Said"? It is a another great "story" song Rodney wrote.
Thanks for sharing!

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/13/17 07:20 AM

Tony, Gary and John C.,
Thank you for the wonderful comments! As my career winds down, each night is both more special and more tiring! Glad you enjoyed the song.
Posted by: organgrinder

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/13/17 09:58 AM

Don
another great song that would fit you like an old shoe would be
old rivers by walter brennen. It's a great story song and one of my favorites.

MEL
Posted by: john smies

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/14/17 08:20 AM

[/quote]

John, I remember your version and it is just as good now as before!
I am a big fan of Rodney Crowell's writing and still in love with Emmy Lou! Did you ever do "Things I Wish I'd Said"? It is a another great "story" song Rodney wrote.
Thanks for sharing! [/quote]

Thanks Don for pointing that out to me. I totally dig Emmylou but was not familiar with Rodney's repertoire, I am going to get into that allright !!!

regards,
John
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/14/17 10:07 AM

John ... a very fine rendition ... thank you for posting ...

PS What style did you use for that?
thank you

PPS ... I had no idea how many people recorded this song ... each puts her/his own mark on it ...
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/15/17 04:20 AM

Don. Nice One....excellent.

graham uk
Posted by: broker22

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/15/17 06:22 AM

Don great job as usual,John I enjoyed your version as well. Cal
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/15/17 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
YEAH !!! ... there's nothing like listening to a Master perform his art ... totally relaxed and confident in what he is doing ...
Thank you, Don ...

Could not agree more!

Keep'em coming Don!!
You know you're songs are played when we travel by use of the motorhome, at fairly loud volume as well. smile

singer keys

Re: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again - 03/15/17 07:52 AM

Hi Graham, great to hear from you! Thank you!
Hi Cal, thank you, and I also enjoyed John's versions a lot as well!
GJ, I am honored to be featured in your motorhome! Be careful I don't put you to sleep as you drive! smile