Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store

Posted by: frankieve

Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 05:12 AM

Being a very small business I have to try to figure out ways of getting potential customers to choose me over the big box stores. What I am trying to do is make it a harder choice for them to purchase elsewhere without atleast giving me a shot.

So these are what I've been doing

I carry just about every line that the big guys carry, but I also try not to carry lines or brands that I have tested and feel they are not worth it, and I try to pass that info off to my customers

I will and have beat everybodies price, consistently

and now I have added payment plans through

PayPal
Wells Fargo
Affirm

Can you guys give me some input on what you think I need to add or change to try to obtain more sales? Or what is it that I don't do that would help me if I did?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 05:50 AM

I am so glad that you now have Paypal because I believe that
this will certainly increase sales. Your prices are the very
best and you have a great personality. All you guys who have
done business (including me) with Frank know he will bend over
backwards to please you.

Frank also gives superior service after the sale. I know people
who have had great service from him. My advice to you Frank is
to keep on doing what you do. A very happy customer, Lloyd
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 06:01 AM

How about doing some listings on EBay. Seems a lot of the big guys are doing it. And share your opinions and test info in the products you try out. Maybe add that as a "expert opinion" section on your Website.
Very happy dealing with you in the past, I think just need some more exposure.
Good Luck
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By Korgman5
I am so glad that you now have Paypal because I believe that
this will certainly increase sales. Your prices are the very
best and you have a great personality. All you guys who have
done business (including me) with Frank know he will bend over
backwards to please you.

Frank also gives superior service after the sale. I know people
who have had great service from him. My advice to you Frank is
to keep on doing what you do. A very happy customer, Lloyd

Plus one! I'm with Korgman5 adding PayPal should help.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 07:10 AM

I don't know if it is possible at your price points, but I have opted on a couple of occasions to buy from a store with a money-back return policy, instead of just a trade option.
When I'm positive I want something, I always get it from you.
Having said this, I think I've only returned two items over the past 20 years!
Guys, you can't beat Frank's prices, service and support!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By DonM

Ditto,....Ditto,....DITTO!! Nuff said period!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 08:06 AM

smile
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 08:07 AM

Figure out how to get your name to pop up at the top of the google search.

I typed several items Eg Tyros 5 and you weren't listed as a source for buying.

If it weren't for Synthzone I wouldn't have purchased my T3 from you. (At a good price too).

Regards,

Jerry
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 08:21 AM

Frank and AJ are the only people I deal with.
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 08:23 AM

This may be an option.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13245487011

I know when I am on Amazon, they list several sources for the product I am looking for along with the prices.

Jerry
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 11:48 AM

Dont do starnge things, your current customers like you for what you are right now... and they keep advertising you all over the internet as soon as someone is inquiring where to buy their keyboards...

Kraft and Sweetwater, and the major english shops like Andertons and Bonners are mostly known because of the high quallity demo's they make from their products... consistant high quallity demo's on youtube might help you... and with consistant, i mean a top high end feature video with high quallity sound from every new product..

And then making sure that everyone sees your video's by advertising them in facebook usergroups and forums... well, not really advertising them, just posting them, or having someone post them for you..

I think high end Youtube video's are the way to get more people knowing your company...and when they know your company, and see the great prices you offer and when they hear and read about your service, they will definately consider you as a serious option.

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 12:42 PM

Jerry, in order for any website to get to the top of the search engines they have to register with the search engines almost hourly. That's why there are companies that do this kind of registration stuff for a living. You can register with Google and an hour later not even be on the first page. It happens that fast.

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Jerry, in order for any website to get to the top of the search engines they have to register with the search engines almost hourly. That's why there are companies that do this kind of registration stuff for a living. You can register with Google and an hour later not even be on the first page. It happens that fast.

All the best,

Gary cool

Unless you pay google to get on top of the list..

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 04:17 PM

Bachus, there is an old saying in this part of the world "Just follow the money." Seems quite appropriate with this subject.

Gary cool
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 08:49 PM

I don't know if it is possible at your price points, but I have opted on a couple of occasions to buy from a store with a money-back return policy, instead of just a trade option.

I have to agree and I know it is hard for smaller dealers to provide that. But online customers have so many choices and there are dealers that do offer that and that factors into most buyers decision.

But certainly selling online in the US a big advantage is that you can remove the sales tax from the price except for any customers in your own state.

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/04/17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By Nigel

I have to agree and I know it is hard for smaller dealers to provide that. But online customers have so many choices and there are dealers that do offer that and that factors into most buyers decision.

But certainly selling online in the US a big advantage is that you can remove the sales tax from the price except for any customers in your own state.

But then i think not having that trade policy instead of money back policy is part of why he can be so cheep.
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/05/17 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus

But then i think not having that trade policy instead of money back policy is part of why he can be so cheep.

I agree ... it is a two edged sword.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/05/17 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By Nigel

However, many states - including Rhode Island, where I live - are passing laws requiring sales tax on on-line purchases ... and RI also charges sales tax on shipping and handling which is a rip off !

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/05/17 08:19 AM

The People's Republic of Maryland also has a sales tax on internet purchases of 6 percent. Fortunately, a lot of sites ignore this, especially foreign sites. Our past governor never saw a tax he didn't like.

When I owned a small business many years ago, all I had to do was match the price of the big box stores in order to be successful, mainly because I had something they didn't have - on site service. It made a huge difference. Unfortunately, my business depended upon leisure money for outdoor recreational purposes, fishing, hunting, boating and camping. When the economy went to hell and the building trades business fell off precipitously, my business crashed.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/05/17 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
The People's Republic of Maryland also has a sales tax on internet purchases of 6 percent. Fortunately, a lot of sites ignore this, especially foreign sites. Our past governor never saw a tax he didn't like.

When I owned a small business many years ago, all I had to do was match the price of the big box stores in order to be successful, mainly because I had something they didn't have - on site service. It made a huge difference. Unfortunately, my business depended upon leisure money for outdoor recreational purposes, fishing, hunting, boating and camping. When the economy went to hell and the building trades business fell off precipitously, my business crashed.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Thats also an option, selling things the big stores dont... brands like GSI/Crumar, ketron, studiologic, viscount, dexibell, ... but then you also need to be sure that you will get customers buying those great unknown Italian brands...

Or go German, with brands like Wersi, Bohm and Fame (rebranded Medelli)
Posted by: shueymusic

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/06/17 09:40 AM

Best thing to do is to direct the customer to the correct piece of gear the first time.

I sold keyboards and piano from 1997 to 2009. I had around $400,000 in sales per year. My returns were low because I tried to direct the customer into the right gear the first time. One year, I sold 65 Yamaha Motif ES keyboards. I loved my job but I saw a major change in the industry over my 11 plus years. Plus, the profit margins really started to dip below the 20% mark. Hard to keep the doors open with a tighter profit line!

You do a great job! Sell you and sell the right gear!!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/06/17 09:50 AM

Bachus knows internet retailing. Look at Reverb. They have converted a static web page to a blog, with interesting stories about musicians, equipment, venues, etc. they have also produced near broadcast quality video, which they post often.

And he is also right when it comes to positioning. You get a high page placement when you pay for it. I have a client in the staircase kit business. the fee for their position is over $3,000.00 per month.

Remember that when you do a search. Popularity has a hand in the placement, but so do DOLLARS!

Russ
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: Suggestions on becoming a go to audio store - 03/06/17 01:43 PM

Things that encouraged me to buy from a big box seller:

1. Interest free payments...36-48 months.

2. Free shipping.

3. Very competitive pricing.

Biggest weakness of a big box?

Few trade in options.