Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one

Posted by: bruno123

Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 07:37 AM

The three areas that emotionally feed a performer (OMB) are:
1- The performance.
2- Setting up the keyboard.
3- Getting a new toy (Keyboard)

In what order of importance do these fall for you, and why? And your thoughts on the other two.

I miss Donny posting things to think about, s I am giving it a try.

John C.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 08:10 AM

1. The performance
2. The performance
3. The performance

Everything else is just tools or gravy. smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 08:19 AM

For the home performer and novice setting up the keyboard is the
most important.

Getting a new keyboard is pure gravy ! Lloyd
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 08:21 AM

most important. Even a average player sounds better when the
board is setup correctly.

Performance depends on the skills of the performer.

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 09:36 AM

Naw --Ya broke the rules. Talk about each one -- why and how.

Behave Dave, John C.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 12:20 PM

John, you have things in the correct order.

Gary cool
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 02:26 PM

I have to agree with Dave on the first 3 ... and I say that because even when I am performing with the female vocalist using nothing but backing tracks, it is all about the performance ...

#4 is setting up the keyboard to my satisfaction ... if I am satisfied, the audience most likely will be also ...

A new keyboard is somewhere down further on the list ... as has been said many times here, it's not the keyboard, but the keyboardist ...
Posted by: wrinkles303

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 02:37 PM

All the above. I have 3 keyboards stacked on a 3 tier stand giving me plenty of styles,tones,and recording for years to come. Yet I might go to 1 keyboard for simplicity. It's nice to have options, but my bedroom is looking like a keyboard section at Sam ash. Got a wonderful lady that puts up with it.

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 06:27 PM

Heeeeeeeyyyyy .... I'm behaving!
"Performance" does not imply venue or profession. Some of my favorite performances were for very small, intimate crowds in a living room, at a friend's house. Even if you only play at home, your energy should be put into your performance, right? Why else do we play, if not to sound our best and create smiles?
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/20/16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Korgman5
most important. Even a average player sounds better when the
board is setup correctly.

Performance depends on the skills of the performer.

Even for most home performers the performance usually resides on the top spot, there is noting more fullfilling as playing a piece of music perfectly... I dont see how player skills are an issue here..

I agree with the top pic...

but my 2nd on the list would definately be discovering the features of a new keyboard and finding your way around with all those lovely tools...
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/21/16 07:29 AM

The performance goes way beyond just playing...
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/21/16 11:42 AM

I agree with Bachus.

The end of the road is the finished performance, but along the way, what a thrill it is to get into the workings and discover all the goodies. The final goal is to, as Donnie say,"Make it your own".
Posted by: zuki

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/21/16 07:29 PM

1. Getting a new toy - the right one....I sure wouldn't take my VA3 out vs the PA3X
2. Setting it up - meaning styles, songs, balances, song sets, etc
3. Performance - get the 1st two correct and it's gravy at the job

BTW, I just did my first gig today with the EVND96. An awesome mic that cuts through the mix incredibly.

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/21/16 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: zuki
I just did my first gig today with the EVND96. An awesome mic that cuts through the mix incredibly.

I auditioned the ND76, and compared it to my NDym767, and 767a - didn't hear enough difference to switch. They didn't have the 96 in stock, but I always loved the way the 767 handled my voice. I passed on the 787 and 797(?) a few years back, because they just didn't sound any better. Maybe in higher volume situations, with larger systems, I'd hear a difference, but (to borrow from Rogers & Hammerstein) "... in my own little corner, in my own little chair" .... I LOVE the 767.
What were you using before, Zuki?
Posted by: zuki

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/22/16 06:39 AM

UD, I used the PL84 for most of the last 2 years, but the 96 is a much better step up. I read many reviews and followed advice from a trusted sound guy before purchasing. Couldn't be happier and priced reasonably, <$200.

You'd sound good with any mic though!

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/22/16 08:39 AM

Thanx, Zuki - I have a PL84, and I find it too thin for me. It's crystal clear, but lacks the body that I get from the ND series. Good choice, and I hope you enjoy it for a long time!
Posted by: tassiespirit

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/27/16 03:57 AM

1. Getting the gig in the first place, lol then playing is a buzz.
3. getting an new toy is soooo nice, it is like winning the lottery. You get it home and pull everything out of the box like a kid.
2. Setting up is a pain , honestly sometimes a drag ( depending on where you are). But get it right and you sound half good, then I smile.
4. Got to add this one for , the smiles on the faces of the people that care to listen - that tells me everything is good.

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/27/16 04:48 PM

Performing is what I have enjoyed. And my keyboard was my tool.

When I think of not playing out any longer the keyboard is no longer exciting. Piano, Organ, and guitar would be my choice. These are instruments where I do it all. I would be able to express myself fully.

Just a fleeting thought.

John C.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/28/16 02:08 AM

I agree. Getting ready for a gig gives you a sense of purpose.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/28/16 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: bruno123
Performing is what I have enjoyed. And my keyboard was my tool.

When I think of not playing out any longer the keyboard is no longer exciting. Piano, Organ, and guitar would be my choice. These are instruments where I do it all. I would be able to express myself fully.

Just a fleeting thought.

John C.

But then my keyboards allow me to play piano, organ, guitar and many other expressive instruments.... its just a matter of using it differently... just a simple beat from the Tyros5 combined with one of my grand piano sounds on the Kronos...

There is so many options using a setup of an arranger key and a piano based workstation... and high end digital piano's these days sound allready better then the cheaper acoustic piano's...

Re: Performance? Setting Up? New Keyboard? Which one - 10/28/16 01:41 PM

How long have you been performing? Oh, about 62 years. Hmmmm, it will take you a while to refocus and see other possibilities.

Letting go is not an easy task.

John C.