Fatten your sound

Posted by: J. Larry

Fatten your sound - 10/02/16 08:07 PM

Picked up a two channel PA processor called the “Go-Rack” by dbx. Wow, what a good buy at $29.99. It gives new life to a pair of powered speakers---either mono or stereo. It has a number features and is small and compact. However, that’s another item to carry and plug-in, if you’re into a minimum setup. Since I run vocals through the arranger, I’m finding that for solo work, I can leave the outboard mixer at home, adjust everything on the arranger, and run the output through the Go-Rack and straight to the speakers.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 03:14 AM

It looks like a big bang for the buck. What about effects with vocals? One reviewer said it took out the effects.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DBXGORACK
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 03:43 AM

To fatten the sound, i allways add a little bit of distortion.. i dont think that requires much hardware...
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 03:45 AM

Sound enforcement has been around a long time. At one time I used a Compressor, an EQ, and a BBE sound maximizer with my JBL speakers.

I feel the more you have the greater chance of having a problem. Though they do add to your sound I feel there is so much in our keyboards today it would be better to put more time in understanding our keyboard.

BUT – it is fun trying all the stuff that is out there.

John C.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 04:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRp2PHyhFxU
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 07:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Bernie9

My point is, you can do all these things with the high end effects in your arranger keyboard.. Why buy extra hardware?
Posted by: DonM

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Bachus

My point is, you can do all these things with the high end effects in your arranger keyboard.. Why buy extra hardware?

Exactly right. I used to use all that extra stuff, but it's no longer necessary.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 08:15 AM

Originally Posted By: DonM
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Exactly right. I used to use all that extra stuff, but it's no longer necessary.

DITTO cool2
Posted by: 124

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 09:37 AM

If there's one instrument I'd like to use compression on to fatten it up, it's the bass. On my Pa3x it seems I can add/vary compression to the acc. tracks altogether, but how do I single out the compression to add onto basses?
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 11:58 AM

I had a Go Rack about a year ago, when they were $99, or so. I liked it alot, but I could duplicate almost everything it did with EQ or level tweaks. The subtle differences wen't worth an extra box for me, no matter how small, or inexpensive. I did like what it did though. The presets are very useable.
Posted by: Torch

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/03/16 04:10 PM

Thanks for the info. It seems that the Gorack can be used for a number of purposes. Even 1/8 inch stereo input and 2 XLR outputs! A DI box just for that can be quite expensive. I think I am going to grab one or two.
Originally Posted By: J. Larry
Picked up a two channel PA processor called the “Go-Rack” by dbx. Wow, what a good buy at $29.99. It gives new life to a pair of powered speakers---either mono or stereo. It has a number features and is small and compact. However, that’s another item to carry and plug-in, if you’re into a minimum setup. Since I run vocals through the arranger, I’m finding that for solo work, I can leave the outboard mixer at home, adjust everything on the arranger, and run the output through the Go-Rack and straight to the speakers.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/04/16 10:14 AM

Just ordered this little guy. Looks like a good back-up when you're using poor house equipment.

LIKE This brand of Vocal Exciter.

R.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/04/16 11:32 AM

Hey Russ, I just ordered a GoRack even though I never heard of it till UD mentioned it smile. I'll buy anything that's $29.95, no matter what it is or whether or not I need it smile.

chas

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/04/16 06:34 PM

I have some slow motion videos of my golf swing Chas. Just so happens that they are going for $29.50 each. How many do you want? smile
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/05/16 04:47 AM

I have some slow motion videos of my golf swing Chas. Just so happens that they are going for $29.50 each. How many do you want? smile

I'm sure they're worth it Don, if only for their amusement value smile smile. BTW, from what I've heard, you didn't need to show them in slow motion; they were already that way in real time smile smile.

chas
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/05/16 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By: cgiles
you didn't need to show them in slow motion; they were already that way in real time smile smile. chas

ouch. Need some burn ointment, Don?
smile

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/05/16 10:54 AM

I'm sure they're worth it Don, if only for their amusement value smile smile. BTW, from what I've heard, you didn't need to show them in slow motion; they were already that way in real time smile smile.

chas

Now you've gone and hurt my feelings. Even though it's true. Especially because it's true. But at least I'm old enough to shoot my age occasionally!
I have reduced the price of the videos to 75 cents. Only $29. shipping and handling.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Fatten your sound - 10/05/16 11:23 AM

chas

I've seen Don play golf, and I doubt that there are many (any???) on this board - other than perhaps "SemiLiveMusic" who could have a chance against him on the golf course ...