Just booked the best job of all...

Posted by: travlin'easy

Just booked the best job of all... - 07/27/16 07:06 PM

Got a telephone call tonight to do an outdoor wedding at a local marina on August 27th. The wedding will take place in a large pavilion, right next door to a very popular restaurant. Yeah, I know, I'm fully retired, but I couldn't pass this one up. No it wasn't the pay that lured me, and in fact, the job is a freebee. The call was from my son. He is marrying a very intelligent, beautiful lady that is exactly one year younger than himself (they share the same birthday.) and I couldn't be happier for them. I'm a proud papa!

Cheers,

Gary cool
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/27/16 07:46 PM

Gary ... congratulations to you and Carol and to your son and his fiance ... I am glad to see he looks more like his mom than his dad ... wink
he has a very fine taste in women ...
The great thing about being the father of the groom is that you just have to shake hands and make sure people have a drink ... grin
party

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/27/16 08:20 PM

Tony, I know you're not gonna believe this, but he looks just like his dad, and even Carol will admit this. smile I have been told I was a hadsome guy when I was young.I guess the years haven't treated me as well as I would have liked.;)

Here's a photo of the old man and his daughter taken in the radio station where I did news casts and recorded voice overs for car commercials.

Here's one from 20 years ago, when I still had a fair amount of hair, and fewer wrinkles.

Now, when I got married, I looked like I was 15 years old, and Carol looked much younger.

Gary cool

Posted by: The Saint

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 03:01 AM

That is a great event and opportunity Gary, go for it with all your heart.
Yeeeaaahhh I would do that as a freeby too !!!!!
Ray dance
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 03:25 AM

Thanks for sharing a bit of your past, as well as the joyous event in August.

Bernie
Posted by: Rfinnshw

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 03:44 AM

Gary,
Thx for sharing.
Buena Suerte!
clap
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 04:05 AM

Gary,

Fantastic news all the way around. Congratulations to your son and his soon to be wife! Love the old wedding photo of you Carol and musicians entertaining at your wedding.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 05:16 AM

Congratulations Gary,
Lovely looking young couple.

You must have been married for quite a number years , you look like a couple of kids in that wedding pic.
We sure did get married young back then. Haha

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 06:11 AM

Thanks everyone. Riki, we were very young, I was just 21 and she was 20 when we got married, 54 years ago this coming September. My son is now 50 years old, his fiance is 49, but they both appear much younger.

Gary cool
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 06:43 AM

Congratulations Gary & Carol....
I know everyone will have a great time listing to your music!!

Take video & pics

party
Posted by: hammer

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 07:55 AM

Very cool Gary,
Deane
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 09:21 AM

Good for you Gary. Have a great time and the best to the happy couple.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 09:33 AM

Thumbs up to all!

R.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 12:19 PM

That's awesome! I remember you posting some recordings of his guitar playing. And your daughter sing too, right? Maybe you guys can do a little jam?
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 01:14 PM

It will be a blast (Are you gonna use a tip jar?)
smile smile smile
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 01:22 PM

Gary I have been counting your blessings from music to boats to freedom and adventure – and now playing your son’s wedding. I think in your quiet times you just have to sit back and smile; life does not get much better.

The best to you my friend, enjoy every bit of your son and his bride.

John C.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Thanks everyone. Riki, we were very young, I was just 21 and she was 20 when we got married, 54 years ago this coming September. My son is now 50 years old, his fiance is 49, but they both appear much younger.

Gary cool

Hi Gary,
You are kidding, they don ' t even look 30. You guys discovered the fountain of youth or something?? My son's over there next month, I'll get him to bring back some of that fountain water, bottled. Haha

Pretty much same age when we got married, you 've been married just a few years longer.
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 03:25 PM

Congrats!

Re: Just booked the best job of all... - 07/28/16 03:31 PM

Thanks John and Riki for those kind words, and no tip jar, Eddie. Just gonna have a lot of fun, enjoy the day, and hope the weather cooperates. Today, the humidity was 100 percent, temperatures in the upper 80s and the air pollution level was horrendous - code red. Walking outside felt like stepping into a sauna and I had to take my portable oxygen with me to drive to the boat. Once I arrived at the marina, I helped a friend install his jib sail, then climbed on my boat, fired up the AC and sucked in some O2 from the machine for about an hour before walking back to the car. I've tried singing with the nasal O2 on and so far, not a problem. Here's the latest one I recorded a few days ago. Black Magic Woman. I recorded A Rainy Night In Georgia about an hour later using a midi file that took a couple days to put together on the PSR-S950 and using the piano voice I posted about 5 years ago. I'm not a pro at making midi files for sure, which is why this one is so basic sounding.

Thanks again for all the well wishes everyone,

Gary cool

[/i][i]