Modulating ...

Posted by: tony mads usa

Modulating ... - 12/17/15 03:40 PM

... in another thread we talked a little bit about modulating keys during a song ... here's one:
Posted by: DonM

Re: Modulating ... - 12/18/15 09:58 AM

Great song! And the modulations were just right.

Re: Modulating ... - 12/18/15 01:42 PM

Thanks, Don ...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Modulating ... - 12/18/15 02:57 PM

wow! Pretty darned good for a northern boy. Loved the style and the way you progressed through the variations. The vocals were spot on, and the mods really added to it a lot. If I tried to hit those higher notes I would have really hurt myself. wink

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Modulating ... - 12/18/15 03:40 PM

If they did not modulate Mack the Knife the song would lose a lot.

The way I view modulation:
1-Start with a key that is a bit below my comfortable range.
2-The band is playing simple, very little happening.
3-With each modulation I get closer to the range my voice sounds best.
4-With each modulation the band becomes more exciting.

The finale product reaches a high point of excitement.

IMHO, John C.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Modulating ... - 12/18/15 03:44 PM

Nice job Tony.... Thanx for sharing your work. I mod as much as I can also in my arrangements.

Re: Modulating ... - 12/18/15 04:07 PM

Tony, I could not open the song. After reading the other posts I realized that you were singing the song.

I thought it was just a discussion on modulation.

Sorry, John C.

Re: Modulating ... - 12/18/15 09:13 PM

not a problem John... What kind of PC or laptop are you using? It should open fine in Windows...

Re: Modulating ... - 12/18/15 10:46 PM

John, when I clicked on it, it downloaded, and I played it from my computer.

Re: Modulating ... - 12/19/15 01:17 AM

Tony I got it to open. Everything I was trying to say you did with a touch of class.

Great job, John C.

Re: Modulating ... - 12/19/15 09:03 AM

Okay, I did Mack the Knife last night and modulated three times. The audience didn't notice, because he was in the rest room at the time. smile
Seriously though folks . . .I must concede it added a lot to the energy of the song, and this time of year I need all the energy I can get.

Re: Modulating ... - 12/19/15 09:34 AM

Glad it worked for you, Don ... but then ANTHING works for you ...
I play the first two verses in 'G' and then modulate on each subsequent verse to play the last verse in 'C' ...
I also admit to using the Bobby Darin version SMF on this one because I couldn't play all the parts it needs at the same time - and with that big finish it gets quite a bit of applause every time I do it ...
That being said, in a quieter restaurant setting, I have played it using a Jazz trio or quartet style and it has gone over well ...
BTW, I say "played it", but this is absolutely a vocal singer keys ...

Re: Modulating ... - 12/19/15 09:40 AM

BTW, I want to thank all of you for the kind words on my version of "Clementine" ... but I wouldn't mind hearing some constructive criticism ... I've got big shoulders grin

Re: Modulating ... - 12/19/15 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
BTW, I want to thank all of you for the kind words on my version of "Clementine" ... but I wouldn't mind hearing some constructive criticism ... I've got big shoulders grin

OK, you shouldn't make fun of fat people. Some of us resent it. smile That's the only criticism I can think of, and I'm certainly not serious about that!

Re: Modulating ... - 12/19/15 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

OK, you shouldn't make fun of fat people. Some of us resent it. smile That's the only criticism I can think of, and I'm certainly not serious about that!

Hey ... I resemble that remark ... laugh2