A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it...

Posted by: travlin'easy

A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/04/15 07:54 PM

Jacob Toliver

Then we have the Boogie Woogie Boy

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: wrinkles303

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 06:05 AM

He was on American idol . He was good but not original. He didn't make it. Last time I heard he was in Vegas or New York as an understudy for the million dollar quartet. I think he's from my hometown ,Portsmouth Ohio.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 08:35 AM

There is only ONE Jerry Lee Lewis....

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 09:10 AM

Jerry Lee was one Hell of a piano player, but his vocal diction was absolutely horrible. You could hardly understand a word he was singing on this one, and it wasn't uncommon with him. One fantastic showman, though.

Gary cool
Posted by: cgiles

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 11:29 AM

....and so I guess the fact that he was/is an incestuous pedophile is ok. Oh right, he's a good ol' boy. Funny how right or wrong things are, depending on who's doing it. Being a 'fantastic showman' doesn't trump being a lousy human being, at least in my book. Sorry, no hero worship here ("There's only ONE Jerry Lee Lewis").

chas

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 11:41 AM

Chas, the OP was not about Jerry Lee, but instead, about the very talented youngsters that really play a rockin piano. There are lots of weirdos in show biz, and you know that, so what's your point. Though I never knew about the pedophile stuff until you posted it. Of course, there's a lot of things I don't know about - I've led a sheltered life. wink

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 12:02 PM

I'm sure glad none of the jazz legends ever did bad things, like take drugs, or whore around.
At least Jerry Lee MARRIED his little cousin. smile If there were other kids I don't know about them. The cousin thing ruined his career for many years, but I don't think that made him a pedophile as commonly defined.
I'm not condoning what he did, of course it was wrong or at the very least raging hormones running amok and a lack of self control.
Let's look at some of our other heroes: Bill Clinton, Bill Cosby, John F. Kennedy, J. Edgar Hoover, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles. . . crap Ted Kennedy allegedly killed a girl and tried to cover it up. . . stop me my fingers are getting sore.
Point is that I guess you can suffer from lack of morals and still be a decent singer or picker or whatever. Sad though, isn't it?
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 12:28 PM

people of fame and fortune are no more immune to the attraction of immoral and illegal actions than anyone else. One of the darkest books I ever read was the life story of Art Pepper. An absolute tragedy.

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 12:40 PM

Country guys don't have those problems. Just look at Johnny Cash, George Jones, Hank Williams...all teetotalers too! smile
Addendum:
I wish I hadn't gotten involved in this discussion as it makes me sad. These people are in the spot light and all their flaws and warts are exposed. Most of them are just like us and started out just wanting to make music. Bad as they are/were, I respect them more than some of the "modern" celebrities. Bill Ray Cyrus must consider suicide every morning when he sees his daughter's latest escapade. One of the greatest vocalists of all time, Whitney Houston...what a tragedy...Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, the list is way too long.
I'm going to go play some Blues and count my blessings.
If you believe in God, then God bless you! If you don't then have a happy day and don't accept any Christmas gifts!
Oh go ahead, at least you know there is a Santa Claus! smile
Posted by: cgiles

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 01:30 PM

Hey Don, you're right, of course. Plenty of talented creeps to go around. It's just that grown men lusting after 13 yr. olds is kind of extra creepy to me.

chas

BTW, no matter what I believe, I'm not turning down any Xmas gifts, so if can't find anything else to do with that PA3x...... smile smile

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 02:31 PM

I think I'm just gonna PLAY that 3x! I think I have a Casio around here somewhere though. Don't leave a fire in the fireplace, or leave the window unlocked.

Chas, you know what they call a virgin in Arkansas? An ugly third grader.
Sorry ya'll!

BTW, The only virgins I attract any more are what I call TECHNICAL virgins. The haven't done it in so long it's healed over.

It's probably a good thing I never made the big time; I'd be as bad an animal as the Captain himself!
I'm the luckiest guy in the world as it is because I never caught anything fatal. My morals are way better now that I'm thinking with the big head more than the little one.

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
I think I'm just gonna PLAY that 3x!

Virgins aside.....................your returning the S970 now and keeping the Korg to use?

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 02:51 PM

I have not decided yet. I love 'em both for different reasons.
One thing about the PSR is that it will be easy to sell if I get tired of it. Dickie T has been bugging about it, but Gary would have first dibs.
I really don't want to send it back as Sweetwater has been really great working with me. I already sent back a BK9 and a Space Station and don't want to take advantage. I'd rather eat a hundred or two.
Wow! I just this minute had an offer for the PA3X, so I may have to decide.
Where is my Casio WK7600? I was gonna give it to Chas for Christmas? smile
I could set the Casio up, play midifiles from the computer and play along with them. Casio has great piano and organ sound.

Guess which one this is?
https://app.box.com/s/7v0bw1ui11o8amioaujkuen4e9he824q

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 03:23 PM

Wow Don..... You're starting to sound like I used to be lol
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 04:03 PM

Horrible music! I backed Lewis at Brocks in Lexington in the early 60's. He was barely coherent. His cousin the preacher was a BETTER PLAYER. Swaggert, I think.

I'll be the first to admit that many of my music heroes were jerks, addicts and just losers on levels other than music.

Sadly, for about 30 years, I was a lot wilder than I had any right to be.

Russ
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 04:30 PM

I liked his cousin Mickey Gilley the best. Still do!
Eddie
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/05/15 05:42 PM

That's right, Jerry!

R.

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/07/15 10:30 AM

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/07/15 06:11 PM

I personally know two JLL imitators, and both are excellent. One is Jason D. Williams, originally from El Dorado, AR, where I used to live many years ago. He did the music for the movie. He even looks like Jerry Lee. You would have trouble telling them apart by listening. He probably plays better than JLL.
The other is Brandy Roberts, has spent most of his life doing it small time, but worked in Branson, MO for a number of years. He is selling used cars in Shreveport last I heard, playing occasional shows locally or regionally. He's really good too, but neither is the REAL thing.
Brandy is a really great person, and differs from JLL in that respect. I've lost touch personally with Jason, but he was dang near as wild as Jerry when he was younger. Not sure if it was an act or real.
http://www.rockinjasondwilliams.com/
http://www.brandyroberts.com/

Jason in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL8E2757C9D09352E6&v=K13bHgEukok

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/07/15 06:46 PM

I forgot what a great show he puts on. I saw him when he was 15 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndfwIp3m9Y&list=PL8E2757C9D09352E6&index=22
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: A Jerry Lee wannabe that really nails it... - 12/08/15 08:14 AM

They are both very good. Ah, the good old days(mostly).