OT: Windows 10

Posted by: hammer

OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 10:24 AM

Anyone download the new Windows 10 yet?
Deane
Posted by: cgiles

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 10:28 AM

Nope. Waiting on my notification. They're parceling them out, a batch at a time (probably so as to not overwhelm their support services).

chas
Posted by: tyroschuck

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 10:29 AM

Upgraded, free, from 8.1. Smooth, long process. Much easier to use for us mouse users and seems to run a little faster.
chuck
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 10:35 AM

I have windows 7, and keep getting the pesky update to windows 10 notices, which I have deleted a dozen times, but it comes back every time there is a windows update.

My son, who is a computer programmer, tells me that windows 10 will correct the problems of windows 8 and make it more user friendly, very similar to windows 7 with a few add-ons. Since the last time I deleted the update notice, I haven't seen it again, so maybe it's something I no longer have to worry about.

All the best,

Gary cool
Posted by: abacus

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 10:55 AM

Been using Windows 10 since last year, and while not perfect (There will always be something you don’t like (Just like there is on the different arrangers out there) but overall its spot on)

Took the plunge and upgraded yesterday (After doing my regular full backup) and the only problem I came across was it did not recognise my graphics card, so had to go to the manufactures website, but now the latest driver is loaded, everything is fine. (The Win 10 I have been using since last year was on a separate partition, as it was effectively a Beta test version which was updated over time)

If you want to get it straight away, rather than waiting to be notified, just run Windows update and it will show up straight away.

Still going through all my programs but haven’t found anything that doesn’t work yet, however one thing I have noticed is that most programs now operate as if they have a rocket up their backside.

Hope this helps

Bill

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 11:01 AM

thanks Bill, good to know.

Gary cool

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 12:09 PM

Just installed Windows 10. Looks like a winner so far. Seems faster. Takes about an hour.

Deane
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 12:17 PM

How much is the updated version to 10 from 7?
Posted by: saxxman

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 12:43 PM

Donny - here's a link...it is FREE for Win 7 and Win 8 users... for the next year....

Windows 7 and 8 Upgrade for Free

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: saxxman
Donny - here's a link...it is FREE for Win 7 and Win 8 users... for the next year....

Windows 7 and 8 Upgrade for Free

Thanx randy downloading 10 now...fingers crossed..

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 01:02 PM

Good luck Donny and keep us posted! Hope all goes like clockwork!

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/30/15 05:01 PM

maybe I should of waited .....win 10 installed ok no problems ....BUT some of my devices have no win 10 drivers and wont work like my brother printer.....logitec camera....not happy about that and a few other things I guess win 10 is so new that companies dont have support drivers yet? Grrrrrrrrrr

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
maybe I should of waited .....win 10 installed ok no problems ....BUT some of my devices have no win 10 drivers and wont work like my brother printer.....logitec camera....not happy about that and a few other things I guess win 10 is so new that companies dont have support drivers yet? Grrrrrrrrrr

If it runs on win 7 it should run on win 10, however it’s possible that the driver got corrupted during the upgrade.

Try the following in the order shown

1. Check for updates (MS (Microsoft) Button (Previously start button), settings, update and security)
2. Download the latest drivers from the manufactures website (Make a note of which version of windows it is for)
3. Uninstall the problem items (Right Click MS Button and select programs and features)
4. Right click the MS Button and choose Device Manager, right click any faulty items (Will be showing a yellow exclamation mark) and choose uninstall (Tick the box that says delete driver software)
5. If USB, unplug the items giving trouble and re-start the computer
6. On re-start any internal hardware should automatically download and install the correct drivers, if not, then run the program/driver for it that you downloaded previously and use the compatibility mode for loading the program. (If it’s designed for Windows 10 no changes are required)
7. Plug each USB item in one at a time and wait for the drivers to automatically install before moving on to the next. (If the driver is not automatically loaded, install the previously downloaded driver using the appropriate compatibility mode. NOTE follow the instructions exactly as sometimes the USB device has to be unplugged during install and connected later)

Hope this helps

Bill
Posted by: Bachus

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 02:57 AM

If you want my tip as an ICT guy...

Allways stay away from new OS versions atleast 3 months if you dont have a need for the new features..

Our company pollicy is one year... just to get torough testing and to be sure nothing goes wrong in the migration process

So first ask yourself, do i need windows 10 right now?
Posted by: Rustykeys

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 03:58 AM

STILL GOING TO COST $120 DOLLARS AFTER YOUR DOWNLOAD AFTER 1 YEAR

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 04:22 AM

WINDOWS 10 is working great now super fast lots of kool features easy upgrade took about 1 hr..

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: abacus
Still going through all my programs but haven’t found anything that doesn’t work yet, however one thing I have noticed is that most programs now operate as if they have a rocket up their backside.

Same here Bill,......WIN 10 so far is working fine since I downloaded it yesterday.
Just seems to do things much easier then Win 7 did.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 06:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Rustykeys
STILL GOING TO COST $120 DOLLARS AFTER YOUR DOWNLOAD AFTER 1 YEAR

Not really, only when you are using a pirated version of 7 or 8 right now..

But then you would not be using a pirated version, would you?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 06:12 AM

Windows 10 is a real temptation but history tells us that holding off for a time can save you misery. It might work well with some computers but others with different printers etc.
can give problems like the person above who had problems. Lloyd

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 07:11 AM

Read a report on a tech site about a new Windows 10 Feature you might want to disable. It is called Wi-Fi Sense. I don't know the details but basically it allows other Windows 10 users to access your Wi-Fi network without you giving them a password. According to the report, your Wi-Fi password has been stored on a Microsoft server in a scrambled mode. This feature can be disabled but I don't know how it is done.

Here is the link to the article.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/technology/windows10-wifi-sense/index.html
Deane

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: hammer
Read a report on a tech site about a new Windows 10 Feature you might want to disable. It is called Wi-Fi Sense. I don't know the details but basically it allows other Windows 10 users to access your Wi-Fi network without you giving them a password. According to the report, your Wi-Fi password has been stored on a Microsoft server in a scrambled mode. This feature can be disabled but I don't know how it is done.

Here is the link to the article.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/technology/windows10-wifi-sense/index.html
Deane

And here is a less nee jerk reaction Wi Fi

Bill

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 12:55 PM

Updating our operating systems are always such fun! Here's some more reading for those who may be interested in learning more about Win 10 and security:

Win 10 Uses Your Bandwidth to Share Updates With Other Users
Posted by: cgiles

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 01:15 PM

Just updated one of my computers from 7 to 10. It seems slower, not faster; configuration may need fine tuning. Initially, it kept dropping my network/internet connection, but that seems to have stopped. I think I'm going to wait awhile before I update the other machines. Easy transition in terms of the user interface; don't really like the new 'Bookmark' system but I'll adjust. Keep posting your experiences, especially the negative ones; also any interesting new features.

chas

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 01:21 PM

I'm loving Win 10 my PC is super fast now !!....Wow!!!

and the addition of being able to use your voice with CORTANA personal assistant using my mic is amazing!! All my programs are working properly no issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortana_(intelligent_personal_assistant)

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 01:34 PM

Glad to hear things are working for the 'upgrade pioneers'. I have BIAB 2015 - hopefully no issues there along w/my audio interfaces. Also have CUBASE LE 7.5. I checked on their website and saw this:

While many Steinberg products have successfully been tested under Windows 10, such as WaveLab, our VST instruments and our audio interfaces running in ASIO mode, others, unfortunately, still cause problems when run on the new operating system by Microsoft. We recommend users - notably of our DAWs, Cubase and Nuendo, not to update for the time being as this may lead to an increase in audio drop-outs and MIDI timing issues. We also have recognized incompatibilities when using Apple QuickTime and the Steinberg EuCon adapter, and audio interfaces won’t operate reliably in WDM audio mode either. Our engineers are examining the problems and evaluating possible solutions for affected customers. We shall immediately inform you as soon as we know more.

Guess I'll wait a while before I take the plunge but appreciate all your continued posts here to keep us apprised of the "way forward".
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 02:08 PM

Randy ... the info in your post came up lime green on my screen and was unreadable ... once I highlighted the paragraph I was able to read it ... wink
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 05:16 PM

Arnold Schwarzenegger was asked if he wanted to upgrade to Windows 10.
He replied, "I still love Vista, baby".
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 07/31/15 06:52 PM

I just did the "Deed" !!!!! ( Windows 10 upgrade )

Glad I did !!!!!

Ron
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 06:16 AM

My friend emailed me last evening and said there was already a gigs worth of updates already. Microsoft has always been noted for putting product before the public before it's ready and I
think Windows 10 is no exception.
Waiting a while before taking the "bait" is good advice.
(A windows 8.1 guy)
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 07:46 AM

Thanks, Deane... for tacking up this post. I've never been a fan of Microsoft but use it still. My non-net Music PC is Windows XP and I can't believe these baboons stopped supporting it. Not everyone needs Apps! Windows 8 was a complete disaster as far as I am concerned (I know, many give it rave reviews) but before the final cut-off date, I'll probably convert this OpSys to 10.

That way, even more glitches and bugs will be ironed out and fixed. Microsoft never gets it right the first time and I suspect 10 is no exception.

Best regards and good luck to all who switch to 10...

Dave Rice

WWW/ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 07:53 AM

Day 3 using Windows 10 its working fantastic!!.....super fast and so much more convenient then 7 & 8. I'm glad I upgraded

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 09:04 AM

Donny

I agree, the search function is amazing fast !!!!!

Ron

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: rphillipchuk
Donny

I agree, the search function is amazing fast !!!!!

Ron

Ron have you hooked up a mic and tried CORTANA voice command yet?

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 09:13 AM

Yea !!!! Freaking amazing !!!!! I think that Microsoft have hit a winner with this version......If Windows 10 did not meet my expectations, my mind was made up to go the Mac route 100%. They will do well with version as long as they do not fall back to "Steve Ballmer's" vision.

Ron

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 09:26 AM

Tony and others - regarding my earlier post on this thread...sorry if my green text from Mars didn't work out.... here is the post in B&W....regarding the note from Steinberg on my Cubase software and Win10....

While many Steinberg products have successfully been tested under Windows 10, such as WaveLab, our VST instruments and our audio interfaces running in ASIO mode, others, unfortunately, still cause problems when run on the new operating system by Microsoft. We recommend users - notably of our DAWs, Cubase and Nuendo, not to update for the time being as this may lead to an increase in audio drop-outs and MIDI timing issues. We also have recognized incompatibilities when using Apple QuickTime and the Steinberg EuCon adapter, and audio interfaces won’t operate reliably in WDM audio mode either. Our engineers are examining the problems and evaluating possible solutions for affected customers. We shall immediately inform you as soon as we know more.

Sounds like Win10 is a worthy endeavor.... I will bide my time a little and then take the plunge! Thanks to all for the continued posts!

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: rphillipchuk
Yea !!!! Freaking amazing !!!!! I think that Microsoft have hit a winner with this version......If Windows 10 did not meet my expectations, my mind was made up to go the Mac route 100%. They will do well with version as long as they do not fall back to "Steve Ballmer's" vision.

Ron

Ron my feelings exactly,.....if this Win 10 didn't meet my satisfaction I was gonna dump all my 4 PCs' and go totally 100% MAC including my cell phone too also. But I'm optimistic and so far all is well with Win 10
Posted by: Rustykeys

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/01/15 05:39 PM

I bought my windows 7 os Go to windows 10 web pages this can do what ever it wants on your computer , like letting someone else in toblook at personal files

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/02/15 07:42 AM

Rusty,
You're are talking about Wi-Fi Sense and it can be turned off and disabled.
By the way, I did turn it off and it is very simple to do.

Deane

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/02/15 10:01 AM

For everyone interested in the Windows 10 Wi-Fi Sense issue.

If you want to disable Wi-Fi Sense on your
computer and wipe its memory, that's not
difficult. Go to Settings, select "Network &
Internet" and then click on "Wi-Fi." Select
"Manage Wi-Fi Settings," scroll to the Wi-Fi
Sense section, and turn off each and every
feature.

Deane

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 08:59 AM

Windows 10 Scam: Read this article!!
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/windows-10-upgrade-ransomware.shtml

Deane

Re: OT: Windows 10 - 08/04/15 10:19 AM

The latest hoax I have received during the past few weeks is a USAA account problem scam. Yep, all I have to do is click on the official looking site, that redirects me to another site, then provide them with all my account information. Amazing! Of course, I don't have a USAA account, never had any dealings with them watsoever, and never will. I called USAA and provided them with the information, plus forwarded the email to their fraud division. I wonder how many people fell for this crapola?

Gary cool