Messin with MIDI

Posted by: guitpic1

Messin with MIDI - 07/03/15 02:32 PM

Have never used MIDI before. Being an acoustic player most of my life, there wasn't much call to midi like a mandolin to a guitar.

smile

Anyway, I midi'd my Tyros(controller) to my PSR S750(slave)....mostly just to experiment and try to find out something about midi. Also, then I can use the speakers on the S750 to play the Tyros.

Sort of interesting but it's definitely not a one for one. No problem getting styles to work but a number of the Tyros voices don't reproduce on the S750..especially the SA voices.

I'm not sure why this is(Tyros SA voices), that certain voices won't play on the S750 but it's still interesting all the same.

Anybody else mess around with midi?

At this point, I don't plan to haul around two keyboards to any gigs....just having a bit of fun.

smile
Posted by: KORG80

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/03/15 09:08 PM

You are actually playing the onboard sounds of the 750 triggered by the midi signal sent from the Tyros.

God Bless,
Don

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/04/15 02:55 AM

Tx Don. I didn't know how this works. What you say makes sense.
Posted by: abacus

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/04/15 04:50 AM

Have a read of this to get you going.

It's up to you haw far you go. (Myself I have been using it since 1984, as have a lot of pro players)

Hope this helps

Bill

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/04/15 09:49 AM

Tx Bill, I am reading the lessons...I sort of understand it.

Question.

I understand that when I Midi two keyboards together one becomes a controller and one becomes a slave.

In this case I'm using the Tyros as a controller and a PSR S750 as a slave. When I play a voice on the Tyros, the controller, the voice is sounded on the S750 speakers. Am I hearing the voice of the Tyros or the S750?
Posted by: DonM

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/04/15 09:50 AM

You are hearing the S750 voice. Tyros is just telling it what to play.

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/05/15 12:26 AM

Thanks Don,

I think I'm beginning to understand this.

All the help is appreciated.
Posted by: abacus

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/05/15 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
Tx Bill, I am reading the lessons...I sort of understand it.

Question.

I understand that when I Midi two keyboards together one becomes a controller and one becomes a slave.

In this case I'm using the Tyros as a controller and a PSR S750 as a slave. When I play a voice on the Tyros, the controller, the voice is sounded on the S750 speakers. Am I hearing the voice of the Tyros or the S750?

Controller:

If you have Midi turned off, the sound you hear will be the T5 sound

If you have Midi turned on, you will hear both the T5 sound and the selected S750 sound

If you have Midi turned on, but the sound turned off, you will hear just the S750 sound

Exactly how sophisticated you can control the S750 from the T5; will be determined by how comprehensive the Midi control features are of the T5. (This is where the Midi implementation chart comes into play)

If the T5 has dedicated Midi Sound banks, you can set it up so that the sounds of the S750 effectively become a part of the T5. (You wouldn’t know there was a separate instrument in use if you couldn’t see it)

Hope this helps

Bill

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/05/15 11:25 PM

I can see this is going to take a bit of study.

The T4 I'm using as a controller has no speakers attached to it. So, when I do hear sound, it's coming only from the S750 speakers.

Thanks all for the help.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/06/15 12:21 AM

It's important to remember that SOUND does not pass through midi cables. It only passes through audio cables (guitar or instrument cables). Midi signals only contain information that tells the connected device what to play (from that device's sound board).
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Messin with MIDI - 07/06/15 07:07 AM

Try this:
Connect the audio outputs [from the Tyros] to the aux inputs of the S750. This will give you the Tyros sound through the S750 speakers. They will be blended together, and regulated with the volume knob on the Tyros. If midid is connected, you can trigger everything from the controller keyboard.
It can get complicated with so many channels, and remember, the more sounds you stack together, the closer you get to a Farfisa organ sound! lol