One For The Books!!

Posted by: hammer

One For The Books!! - 05/04/15 05:34 PM

Today I packed up and walked out of a gig about 5 minutes into it. Sometimes the ADs are just so full of themselves it just isn't worth the trouble. After my first song she ran up and wanted to know when I would start singing. I told her, for about the 5th time, I am not a singer and she went nuts. Told me in no way would she pay my full fee if I didn't sing- said she would pay only half of it. I thanked her and started packing up my gear. That really set her off - like I cared. On the way out I dropped by the main office and dropped off my invoice which I told them I expected to be paid in full. Told them the story and left. We'll see.

Deane
Posted by: Dnj

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/04/15 06:16 PM

Sorry to hear that... how were you hired on the blind? Or? didn't they know about your act in advance when they booked you?
Posted by: Dnj

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/04/15 06:25 PM

frown
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/04/15 06:53 PM

That's really too bad, Deanne ... on the lighter side, maybe you should have sung a song to prove your point wink
Posted by: J. Larry

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/04/15 08:21 PM

Speaking of singing-----I had an incident once, with a dancing couple from the middle of the dance floor. The man yelled out loudly, “Sing the #$#$ song; I want to hear the words!” I was playing New York, New York at the time. I do sing a lot, so I just picked right up vocally like nothing happened. However, instrumental gigs are so much easier (for me), since I play mostly from memory. With no vocals, that means no music stand, lead sheets, notebooks, iPad, computer lyrics, stand light, extension cord, and all that stuff. Life’s much simpler.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: J. Larry
...instrumental gigs are so much easier (for me), since I play mostly from memory. With no vocals, that means no music stand, lead sheets, notebooks, iPad, computer lyrics, stand light, extension cord, and all that stuff. Life’s much simpler.

AMEN! BTW, did that guy tip you?

chas
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 06:52 AM

wink

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: J. Larry
Speaking of singing-----I had an incident once, with a dancing couple from the middle of the dance floor. The man yelled out loudly, “Sing the #$#$ song; I want to hear the words!” I was playing New York, New York at the time. I do sing a lot, so I just picked right up vocally like nothing happened.

Well it could be worse ... you might finish singing a song and have someone come up and ask for the SAME SONG you just finished !!! ... c'mon, guys ... you KNOW that has happened ... confused1
I think that people aren't really listening but the song does penetrate their brain (?) and then they think "oh, I'd like to hear "such and such" ... grin
Posted by: DonM

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 08:13 AM

Yes, that happens a lot, especially in dining situation where people are carrying on conversations.

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 08:28 AM

It happens at least once a week for me, too.

Gary cool
Posted by: 124

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 09:51 AM

Ever play the same song twice in succession without being asked? To be fair, senior moments should work both ways. smile

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 01:57 PM

I can honestly say, I never have ...
Posted by: cgiles

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I can honestly say, I never have ...

....yet!

chas

Re: One For The Books!! - 05/05/15 02:48 PM

I don't know! wink