Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900?

Posted by: Dnj

Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 08:08 AM

1- ok we've all heard the New SD7 demos..............
how do you think they compare to the Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900/3x?

2- SD7 "Features" which are very usable for the OMB pro performer on stage........how do you think they compare to the
Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900/3x?

Thoughts?

Posted by: DonM

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 08:56 AM

My thought is you can't judge it until you get your hands on it. And if it's anything like Audya it may be a year before they are available. Make it two years. Hope I'm wrong.
Posted by: Henni

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 09:21 AM

One thing I have to give Yamaha credit for: They have spectacular, really, really AMAZING intros and endings, something Ketron lacks & I believe they do it on purpose so that the styles are not too song specific.

For this reason alone it's great to have my S950.

Henni
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 09:49 AM

It will all depend on your specific needs (or wants, in some cases), but, for me, I could get by very well on a Tyros3, S950, S910...even the S750 would be very giggable and also great for home use.

I am seriously pleased I wound up with the Tyros4, as having both the FSX keybed and being able to use SA voices in the styles, although not entirely necessary features, are incredibly good to have all the same.

The Ketron SD7 sounds pretty damn good in the demos, and it looks to have lots of useful features, but my biggest concerns would be reliability (and the possibility of dealing with any repairs) and followup support. I realize AJ is more than capable at his job, but one also must be concerned about what happens if, for some unforeseen reason, he needs to take some time off or decides to do something else.

Do they have a backup plan?

Ian

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 10:54 AM

in reality how many times do you really need service on a keyboard,?
Posted by: adimatis

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 11:22 AM

Impossible to say. Let's see first the specifications and hear more of the demos.
I like it, particularly I like the touch screen and how it can be used (it seems) for many more functions that were physical buttons before.
The sound is very nice indeed. I'd like to hear the vocalizer too.

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I guess it would depend on how reliable the unit is, plus, it is a new model with the possibility of bugs and other issues. I know that I would want to have good fast service available if I needed it...especially if I was using it to make a living.

Not all keyboard issues are about reliability either...there's always accidental breakage, such as a key or button/slider, or the instrument gets knocked off the stand. It happens.

Have the reassurance of a relatively quick and reasonably accessible repair facility isn't too much to ask for, especially considering the cost of the instrument.

Ian
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

True, but all you need is one time, and if the manufacturer won't back it up, where are you?

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 12:08 PM

We're getting off track with the so-called reliability issues if any at all...
Let's get back on topic and discuss the a/b of the sound vs features of all mentioned.....

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 12:23 PM

Certainly the audience can't A/B the sounds..."close" to our ears is "awesome" to theirs.

I still believe reliability and service are major factors to consider, especially if you intend to gig with the instrument.

Unless we go entirely on the on-line demos, the only way we are going to be able to A/B them for ourselves is to actually play them side by side. There's more to the instrument than just the sound...there's the key response, feel of the buttons and switches, touch screen reaction etc..

Perhaps, at the very least, someone will do a comparison video when the instrument gets in the stores.

I think Korg's PA-900 and Yamaha's S950 are very competitive sound wise...just go back and listen to their demos to refresh your ears.

Ian

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 12:58 PM

For me as a for me as a Ketron KB/MidJay etc,.. player having used on them stage with so many models in the past thru the years and never had a technical problem. That said the SD7 has for the pro player OMB so many kool usable features to really mix it up on stage in so many ways going for it vs Yamaha, not so much vs
Korg Pa's......
This is where the SD7's power lies. It's versatility is it's calling card for the performer in a compact all in one loaded package.

http://www.ketron.it/index.php/?option=com_content&view=article&id=588&Itemid=20

Like the advisement says.......
"It's more than just another Arranger Keyboard...
It's more than just another Player...

It's the Musician's Entertainment Tool"

keys

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 02:08 PM

It certainly looks like a good one for you Donny...I consider myself very fortunate not to have to buy another keyboard.

And, it's not a money issue...I'm just glad to be able to stay with something I know very well, and can spend my time actually playing and improving my skills, rather than learning a new OS on a different brand and/or model instrument...especially one with an unproven track record.

Of course, you have different additional needs, such as Vocal Harmony, and SMF/MP3 play, which I never (or rarely) use.

I hope it works out for you, although I do have a strong suspicion you will eventually remain with (or will quickly return to) Yamaha.

Oh well, at the very least it's something you can get excited about...for awhile. wink

Ian
Posted by: Henni

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/19/15 10:26 PM

What I really like is to have two arrangers from the opposite side of the spectrum. Yamaha definitely has it outstanding features, but so do most of the others.

Very few compare to Ketron especially when it comes to acoustic sounds. But then Yamaha is champion when it comes to rock styles as there are just so many good ones on their arrangers to choose from.

So really, it's not a matter of one versus the other, but really one plus the other. I cannot speak for Roland or Korg as I've never played their flagships yet.

Henni

Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Ketron SD7 Demos vs Tyros 4 or 5 S950 / Pa900? - 04/20/15 01:40 AM

Having the Audya and S910, I agree with Henni. My S910 is great for quieter settings and is so easy to play. The Audya however is a different breed entirely, having great sounds and fantastic realism with its live guitars and drums.

They both are great in what they do.