12/16 Channel Mixer

Posted by: Shiju

12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/19/15 09:04 AM

Hi All,

I'm looking for buying a good quality 12/16 channel mixer. My priority is good vocal quality, and independent EQ controls. My budget is around $500. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

George
Posted by: mirza

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/19/15 09:10 AM

Hi.
Check new Behringer x air mixers.They are digital mixers and you will need laptop, or tablet (apple or android) to control it.
There is really no need to buy analog mixers anymore.Effects are really nice..
Posted by: DonM

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/19/15 09:18 AM

Well I guess there is a need if you don't want to use a computer to control it.
In addition to the Behringer, I would check out Yamaha MG166CX or MG124CX. I have had the 8 channel version for several years, and it has never been turned off. It has effects, compression 3 band e.q. for each channel--all the goodies. And either is well in your budget.

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/19/15 10:27 AM

Of course
If he wants analog mixer than I can recommend also Yamaha MGP 12. Much better preamp and dual efx processor.

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/20/15 07:54 AM

Thank you! How about Mackie models compared with Behringer?

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/20/15 08:16 AM

You are probably asking about digital mixers.
Mackie is not bad, but it only works with IPad. Also effects are pretty bad for digital mixer.Also there is QSC Touch mix which comes with touchscreen, but if it was me I would go with Behringer Xair mixers which gives you choice of a laptop, iPad or a Android device to chose.I have bigger x32 and efx are great.Your vocals will sound very nice...
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/20/15 09:15 AM

I don't know if you are looking for analog or digital ... but have been using the Mackie Pro XF 8 for larger gigs, and gigs where I am playing with guitar/vocalist, and or sax player ... it has worked great for me ...
http://www.mackie.com/products/profx8/
http://www.mackie.com/products/profxseries/pdf/ProFX-OM.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-PROFX12-12-Channel-Compact-Effects/dp/B00352MHGK

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/20/15 10:14 AM

Thank you again! I think I'll better go for a digital mixer, if it fits within my budget.

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/20/15 10:42 AM

Make sure You try whatever you buy. Digital mixer are the way to go now days.I forgot to mention also if you want to have faders there is also Presonus 1602.Now days you can find it pretty cheap.With great preamps and good dual effects ( not as good as Behringer once) but still better than any in analog world.It's also digital mixer but it's much closer to analog in how it works for setup.
It all depends on your needs..I know that I am never coming back to analog mixers again..For the same money you get a lot more..

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/21/15 05:11 PM

Hi Mirza.. Thank you for your great suggestions! Mostly this mixer is going to be used for small gatherings with around 50-200 people. And most of the time an arranger keyboard or track with 2-6 singers. Very rarely we add a Guitar.

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/22/15 08:26 AM

Me personally, would choose a digital mixer. Especially like in your case , you said you are going to have several mics on. It helps to have nice efx for vocals. And they all have pretty good compressors and gate that would help tame those vocals and avoid feedback, of course if you know what you are doing with them. That is why lots of people run away fro digital mixers. There is a learning curve with each one of them. But, it helps if you are willing to learn, because benefits are rewarding at the end. But, we should go forward , otherwise we will end up on the trees again...hehehe

No matter what is your choice, try all your options. If stores don't want to help with trying, change the store. It's your money and they should earn it with providing you all you need to test these.
Let us know what you've got.
Posted by: mdorantes

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/22/15 12:14 PM

George

What about the NEW Yamaha MG series with the XU (they have with Effects and without, the XU is the model difference) (Excellent Effects, compression, and USB interface).
This models are with in your budget....check them out, I have a friend that got a Allen & Heat Zed series 14 ch, and we compare them earlier on a nice big ballroom with the same speaker system,
well, he owns now a Yamaha MG12XU.

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/23/15 08:49 AM

I checked Behringer X Air XR12 and XR16, both are on pre-order, read some good reviews about Yamaha MG12XU. Will go and try it at local Guitar Center. After reading more about the capabilities about digital mixers, I think it's worth the waiting :-)
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/23/15 01:23 PM

In a trade with a local music store. I ended up with this mixer..new..and new technology..a combo of digital and analog.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio...ing?rNtt=Peavey FX2 16 channel mixer&index=2

If interested, let me know. Can do better than manufacturers MAP.

Rog L
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: 12/16 Channel Mixer - 02/23/15 04:23 PM

Rog ... looks like you streeeeetched that $500 budget a little, eh? ... wink
Best of luck with it ...