Question of curiosity for you Korg players

Posted by: guitpic1

Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/16/14 11:02 PM

On the Tyros, registrations are used to save style/volume/eq settings etc. for a song.

How is this done on, say, a PA3X or PA900?

Tx. Just curious really.

smile
Posted by: mirza

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 04:28 AM

On Korg you can use PERFORMANCES.And also there is a song book.It's way ahead of Yamaha in this department, unfortunately.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 05:47 AM

Yamaha really needs to catch up om KORGS Songbook feature in regards to saving informaton and display size.....
not to mention thier included TC Helicon VH vs Yamaha H2...
Posted by: frankieve

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 05:56 AM

I feel Yamaha's Registration system is very good also, the fact I can save 8 Registrations per song is great for me.

Which now with the Tyros 5, can include 4 Audio-links (which can be a song, rhythm, or any WAV file that will stream directly from the Hard drive) and continue to play even when changing registrations, until file is done or stopped.

Also 1 WAV or MP3 for the media song player

1 midi file

4 one touch settings

1 style

1 TXT file or lyrics and chords.

And you can do this 8 times per registration
Posted by: mirza

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 06:10 AM

I would like to see if Yamaha adds a link to those registrations to sound panel buttons. It would make things easier while playing live.

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 06:46 AM

Frank all valid points...Yamaha MFD still doesn't include TRANSPOSE......TXT lyric size can be changed but display is too small,....But the MFD song lists titles TXT info cannot titles are so small or bold, etc.......I wish they would ask REAL players what their needs are before they go to R&D!! just sayin'....some of these things I mentioned hold me back from a T5 or T6, T7,new S960, etc,......
I want to buy myself a xmas present
I'll wait and see for now, winter NAMM in Jan?
.... wink

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 06:47 AM

cool2
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 08:18 AM

I really like the KORG Songbook feature ... it is SO easy to access the set up for any song I want ... I also use it to set up a complete playlist for a gig ...
I really haven't used the PERFORMANCE function ...

Not to beat a dead horse, BUT ... my technics kn6000 was way ahead of the curve on this in that with the additional hard drive I am able to store SMFs and style set ups for individual songs, AND have 8 'PANEL MEMORY' registrations for each song if I wanted ... what a great board ...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 08:38 AM

Donny, get your eyes checked - I can read those lyrics on the screen, even at my age. Now, prior to the cataract surgery I could not read the lyrics, but since then it is easy. The screen size is fine for me, and there is a little button on the left side of the keyboard that says "transpose." You can hit the transpose button before the song ends as long as your left hand is not on the keys. Then as soon as you hit a chord, it changes to the transposed chord. I do this all the time. Piece of cake.

Now, take that money that is burning a hole in your pocket, and put it in an IRA. Yeah, I know you figure you'll be able to play till you die, but as you are now aware, your body will probably not outlive your mind. Obviously, your eyes are shot to Hell, and arthritis will soon lay claim to those joints.

From my perspective, you currently enjoy owning one of the best MOTL arranger keyboards on the market today. You need a new keyboard like you need hemorrhoids. Use that S-950 until the keys wear out, make lots of money with it, put the proceeds into a retirement fund and wait till something really earthshaking comes along. The S-950 was a huge improvement over the PSR-3000, S-900 and S-910. That's the reason I upgraded. No more upgrades for me.

And, don't give me that hype that the keyboard pays for itself in just a few jobs - financially, that does not happen. It's just another piece of capital equipment that you can deduct on your Schedule C, which means you don't pay income tax on that amount. The only way it could pay for itself is if the keyboard went out and played by itself while you did something else. smile

As I've posted many times in the past, Yamaha has listened to many of our requests and over the years has responded in kind. The list of things they have done is quite extensive, including going back to basic black, which is something you asked for many, many times. No other company that I know of has gone to the lengths that Yamaha has to obtain consumer input.

Let Nancy buy your Christmas presents - she knows what you NEED!

Gary cool
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
... as you are now aware, your body will probably not outlive your mind.

For many of our SZ brethren, that's simply not true smile smile.

chas

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 01:17 PM

Chas, my wife told me the mind was the second thing to go, but I can't remember what the first was. I guess I'll have to ask her. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. I find the Yamaha registration system pretty easy to use. I just didn't have a clue as to what Korg uses...not that I needed to know...just was curious.

Tx.
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 01:38 PM

I'm a little late on this but I really like Songbook on the Korg. I'd like to see Yamaha implement the features of Songbook via the MFD feature. Not sure why they haven't seems like it's a software thing that shouldn't be that difficult to implement, but there may be more to it than meets the eye. I do like and use Yamaha registrations in conjunction with the MFD feature and it does the job I need it to do.

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 01:43 PM

So, any of you using both the Yamaha and Korg keyboards...or own both Yamaha and Korg?

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 01:50 PM

At one time I owned both, but I sold the I3 many years ago. It was a good keyboard, but nothing compared to my S-950. The days of lugging two keyboards to a job have long since been over for me. One lightweight package is all that's needed for my jobs.

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 02:14 PM

I have had several recent models of both, including PSR S950 and PA3X. I now have PA900.
I've had almost every model made by Yamaha, most by Roland, four by Ketron and four by Korg. Korg's Songbook is the best feature of this sort on any of them, in my opinion, although they all have usable systems for Registrations (Performances).
They all have their learning curves!

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
I have had several recent models of both, including PSR S950 and PA3X. I now have PA900.
I've had almost every model made by Yamaha, most by Roland, four by Ketron and four by Korg. Korg's Songbook is the best feature of this sort on any of them, in my opinion, although they all have usable systems for Registrations (Performances).
They all have their learning curves!

I'll ditto that Don ....almost the same for me and a few more too....
Songbook & TC Helicon, & many editing features puts Korg on top of all feature wise.. sound/style wise I still like Yamaha.....which is why I choose to perform with it even with all the workarounds for my needs...the sound and styles come first.... cool2

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 03:44 PM

I played a Yamaha DGX 650 today, wonderful sounds, bare bones styles, but that's OK, and weighted keys. After 20 minutes, my hands were cramped up, and that was it! How I love the feel of those lightweight S-950 keys. I could not imagine doing a four-hour job with one of these, or any other weighted key arranger keyboards for that matter. I guess I'm getting old. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Question of curiosity for you Korg players - 11/17/14 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I played a Yamaha DGX 650 today, wonderful sounds, bare bones styles, but that's OK, and weighted keys. After 20 minutes, my hands were cramped up, and that was it! How I love the feel of those lightweight S-950 keys. I could not imagine doing a four-hour job with one of these, or any other weighted key arranger keyboards for that matter. I guess I'm getting old. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Ditto Gary!! keys