The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano

Posted by: Bachus

The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/10/14 08:45 AM

For many years Motif was Yamahas most advanced Instrument, but when Yamaha throw in the XF, the T4 took over the flag... And then came the CVP 609, which was actually close to the T4 and many things like the touchscreen and the piano sounds passed T4

Now we are in a country where Tyros 5 reigns Yamaha country like a king...
But next year the CVP 709 will be around... And it will be tempting for homeplayers for sure, and they are not only tempting home players, but also composers and everyone writing music...

The CVP 707 will be like a combination of T5 and CVP 609 .. Everything we know from these instruments will be in there, except for the sliders(there are sliders on the touchscreen)

On top of that the topmodel CVP 709 will have
- 8 assignable knobs
- 2 gigs of expansion memmory, with memory management onboard
- big SSD drive
- 16 track DAW build in, recording and playing both audio and midi tracks, compatible fileformat with cubase
- scene launch mode
- 10" touchscreen
- over 2500 high quallity sounds build in
- over 800 styles
- next generation build in arpeggiator
- new style types, dynamic style
- 8 keyboard sounds, 2 left, 2 main, 2 layer and 2 solo
- 8 OTS settings
- fully playable orchestra sounds
- Synthzone expansion ( feature from the new upcomming workstation )
- pedal unit expanded with 2 assignable volumepedals and 5 assignable switches
- 3 touchsliders
- 2nd bigger screen build into the musicreader stand..

Which surprises me since the cvp 609 is allready in a league of its Own
but then, CVP are hot in europe, and are bought by people that have a lot to spend
People around 40 with kids, mum plays and the kids play, and mum loves the stylefull look of the instruments ( its the same mum that hates the look of an arranger )

Does targetting those few people that compose and write music warrant such a huge upgrade?

Or are they trying to get the T5 players to these even more advanced instruments? While adding more deejay features to the S960 to pull in the youth

( from the same source that predicted the audio styles and the ensembles on T5)
Posted by: Dnj

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/10/14 08:53 AM

Next T6 trickle down effect of some of these CVP 709 features?
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/10/14 08:55 AM

Any idea of the polyphony of CVP-709 or CVP-707?

The CVP-609 has 128+128 notes poly which is obviously a total of 256...I'm not sure of how it's allocated.

Ian

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/10/14 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Any idea of the polyphony of CVP-709 or CVP-707?

The CVP-609 has 128+128 notes poly which is obviously a total of 256...I'm not sure of how it's allocated.

Ian

The CVP-609 has a sepperate piano engine thats 128 notes.... Only for the pianos..

Got no clue about these new pianos, i dint ask and he didnt say... My best guess would be 256, but thats just as good as any guess you make yourself...
Posted by: mirza

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/10/14 09:57 AM

Everything a T5 could have, and should have been.

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/10/14 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: mirza

Another thing missing on the current CVP is pitch and modulation wheels, and, having tried a buddy's 609 using assignable piano pedals isn't nearly as good as having the wheels.

Also, there's no aftertouch, at least on the the present CVP models...I wonder if they'll have it on the new one...that may mean using the keybed from the MOTIF XF8 which is a Balanced Hammer Effect Keyboard (Initial Touch/Aftertouch).

Somehow, I can't see them implementing aftertouch on a CVP, and they'll probably use the current keybeds.

Of course, this is all pure speculation.

Ian

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/10/14 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Another thing missing on the current CVP is pitch and modulation wheels, and, having tried a buddy's 609 using assignable piano pedals isn't nearly as good as having the wheels.

Also, there's no aftertouch, at least on the the present CVP models...I wonder if they'll have it on the new one...that may mean using the keybed from the MOTIF XF8 which is a Balanced Hammer Effect Keyboard (Initial Touch/Aftertouch).

Somehow, I can't see them implementing aftertouch on a CVP, and they'll probably use the current keybeds.

Of course, this is all pure speculation.

Ian

Espescially with SA2 voices and playing with both hands, aftertouch is incredibly usefull

Personally i am a big fan of using footswitches for articulations, because my lefthand is allready doing so much... Also the volumepedal can be used to controll a parameter...

But on this piano, as explained to me the 3 touchsliders are meant to replace the mod and pitchwheels..
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/12/14 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Bachus

A new workstation is really upcoming? In some forums people are beginning to lose hope in a completely new Motif successor. Where did you get that information from? Interesting.

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/12/14 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: rosetree

A new workstation is really upcoming? In some forums people are beginning to lose hope in a completely new Motif successor. Where did you get that information from? Interesting.

From a fammily owned music store thar happens to be among the biggest Yamaha resellers of europe... I dont think Yamaha will be happy with them if inspread their name alll over the internet..

Its where i bought my used Fa08, and used T5 ...... I know them quite well, and allways get good offers first.... Its where i buy most my gear.

According to him there was not much known about the new upcomming Workstation, not even if its still called Motif, its apparrently the first fully integrated hardware DAW.. with multiple synth engines and unlimmited expandabillity.

Its apparently more a tool for the studio...

In the future we might see

- CVP aimed for homeplayers and musicians
- Motif aimed for studio users
- the next Tyros replacement for live use

Where all 3 units could be used for each of these 3, but where they really shine in one of them... But thats just my personal interpretation of what he told, but the more i think about it, the more likely it is..
Posted by: jimlaing

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/13/14 09:08 AM

A couple of other things missing from the CVP-609: the Direct Access button (which on the Tyros line allows quick access to the 'right' page for controlling lots of things) ... and, the CVP-609 has no MultiPads. I miss those when I sit at a friend's CVP, when I'm used to having them on the Tyros.

-Jim

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/13/14 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: jimlaing
A couple of other things missing from the CVP-609: the Direct Access button (which on the Tyros line allows quick access to the 'right' page for controlling lots of things) ... and, the CVP-609 has no MultiPads. I miss those when I sit at a friend's CVP, when I'm used to having them on the Tyros.

-Jim

well, according to the source, if its on the Tyros 5, it will be on the new CVP, the pads he even used as an example... of tyros stuff appearing on the new CPP line... I assume the same goes for the direct access button, the button is just to amazing not to have.. You never ever have to think about where to find a setting...

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/13/14 01:44 PM

Another thing missing on the CVP-609 is the set up hard (actual) buttons for turning on and off Parts (Left, Right1, Right2) ... you have to be on the right page on the screen to do that. I like that on the Tyros, no matter what's on the screen, I can instantly control the L/R1/R2/R3 sounds on-off status while playing. That's missing on the CVP-609.

-Jim

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/17/14 05:56 AM

Are those CVP-709 specs (in the first note in this thread) something someone found printed or on-line somewhere as a "leak"? Or are they just a "wish list" of possible/desired features?

-Jim

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/17/14 07:11 AM

Are those CVP-709 specs (in the first note in this thread) something someone found printed or on-line somewhere as a "leak"? Or are they just a "wish list" of possible/desired features?

-Jim

They are what one of the biggest Yamaha dealers in Europe told me, a friemd of the fammily, with insight information.... His source, was a Yamaha dealers meeting..

And by the way, people asking more about the upcomming MOTIF, There will be no more Motif name.... It will be called Yamaha Dawn
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/17/14 08:28 AM

Dawn is a better name than Sunset ;-)
I think we should send an undercover journalist to spot a prototype...

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/17/14 08:29 AM

I am hoping Yamaha will make something revolutionary, or is that too much to ask.Motif was good, but just another rompler. Hopefully they'll revisit some old synthesis (vl, DX, an, fdsp).
I used to have ex5, and loved it.Best keys ever.But, seriously under powered. I am hoping Yamaha will do this the right way.Lately everything they do is watered down and half hearted. It's not ugly, but it's not pretty either.

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/17/14 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Dawn is a better name than Sunset ;-)
I think we should send an undercover journalist to spot a prototype...

Well, i think the name might allready reveal some of the functionallity..

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/17/14 03:15 PM

I am hoping Yamaha will make something revolutionary, or is that too much to ask.Motif was good, but just another rompler. Hopefully they'll revisit some old synthesis (vl, DX, an, fdsp).
I used to have ex5, and loved it.Best keys ever.But, seriously under powered. I am hoping Yamaha will do this the right way.Lately everything they do is watered down and half hearted. It's not ugly, but it's not pretty either.

The ex5 lacked one thing, processor power... And thats exactly the thing that comes allmost for free these days..

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/17/14 03:53 PM

Let's not forget disc streaming.

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/18/14 03:03 AM

Let's not forget disc streaming.

Well, any next gen keyboard that does not support SSD streaming will be a disspointment...

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 10/18/14 03:46 AM

Manufacturers should have been making a 65-note keyboard all along instead of a 61...from C to E...that way there would be no need to make that one special high C note key...you know, the one with no cutaway for the black note.

Personally speaking, 'nuff said, and just sayin'.

Ian

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/24/15 10:24 AM

Hi - now that NAMM 2015 has gone by, has anyone seen any news about a new CVP piano? I have not seen any. I was looking back to the specs listing (specifications of CVP 709 or was it 707?) and they look impassive, if this is a real product (?)

Jim
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/24/15 10:44 AM

Jim, the only thing I could find was the 609.

Gary cool

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/24/15 11:00 AM

Hi - now that NAMM 2015 has gone by, has anyone seen any news about a new CVP piano? I have not seen any. I was looking back to the specs listing (specifications of CVP 709 or was it 707?) and they look impassive, if this is a real product (?)

Jim

Nope not released yet....

But then Yamaha seems to have some troubles pushing. Anything other then a new Tyros, the Motif is also more then a year overdue

We might see the new CVP models at Musik messe...

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/26/15 07:04 AM

Thanks for the responses. When is Musik Messe? (I can look that up). Maybe the follow-on to the PSR-950 will come out around then too, along with follow-on to CVP-609. I'm not interested in a CVP-7xx myself, but I have a close friend who is eager to see what's next in the CVP line.

-Jim

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/26/15 07:12 AM

Thanks for the responses. When is Musik Messe? (I can look that up). Maybe the follow-on to the PSR-950 will come out around then too, along with follow-on to CVP-609. I'm not interested in a CVP-7xx myself, but I have a close friend who is eager to see what's next in the CVP line.

-Jim

Musik Messe is in April...

two weeks ago i had a handson with the CVP 609, and i didnt like the keyfeel at all, maybe i was spoiled playing the Kawaii MP11 just before that, but the pianofeel somehow felt unnatural to me

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/26/15 07:44 AM

and who wants to spend that kind of money on a CVP then in a year or two they come out with another better model ....?
it never ends....

Ok DRUM ROLL !!!........
That said OMG!! I have the S-950 Two Years next month !!!!!
SAY WHAT? dance2
clap keys clap

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/26/15 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
and who wants to spend that kind of money on a CVP then in a year or two they come out with another better model ....?
it never ends....

Same can be said from people collecting Tyros after Tyros
Or someone wayting for an upgrade to his beloved PSR S950

The trick is the same, just the price is different, however so are our wallets...

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/26/15 11:29 AM

it never ends....

Same can be said from people collecting Tyros after Tyros
Or someone waiting for an upgrade to his beloved PSR S950

The trick is the same, just the price is different, however so are our wallets...

exactly this is where software shines,... easily up gradable without the hardware change on arrangers kbs ,
or what ever,..........hope I Live to see that day... frown
Posted by: leeboy

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 01/26/15 01:45 PM

Donny,
Why do you think that day is not here Now?
To be good it does not have to be from Yamaha, Korg, Roland, etc.

All those guys could do it NOW...and before now...all they have to do is keep the HW box and change out the SW.
They would need to design it for that route...and they will not because...People are still willing to lay down big $$ for new keyboards.

Think of it this way...what is PHYSICALLY different on the last 5 keyboards you have bought??

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/15/15 12:38 PM

Looks like the new model is out. I don't see any of the great new features from the list on the first note of this thread - here is a link:

http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/cvp_series/cvp-709/
Posted by: guitpic1

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/15/15 06:32 PM

Internal memory only 6+ MB?

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/16/15 10:11 AM

Looks like the new model is out. I don't see any of the great new features from the list on the first note of this thread - here is a link:

http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/cvp_series/cvp-709/

Very dissapointed indeed..

Seems a confirmation to me, that Yamaha is still having problems getting their technollogy level to the next level..

One huge surprise however, for the first time ever, Yamaha is not only having a Yamaha grand onboard, but also a Boesendorfer...

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/16/15 11:36 AM

Comparisson chart with previous model

Just look at this table comparing it to the 609.... the difference.. 13 new VRM voices (yamahas new virtuall piano engine) and 30 audio styles, thats about it, while the number of SA2 voices dropped from 30 to 22....

I see nothing but a few minor differences, it should have been named the CVP 609 plus...

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/16/15 12:14 PM

More audio styles? Yuk!!!

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/16/15 12:36 PM

I guess they are the same ones we seen in T5 and psr s950

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/16/15 12:47 PM

I guess they are the same ones we seen in T5 and psr s950

I for one never use them at all......starting to wonder if Yamaha is listening to us anymore or is the next wave of arrangers gonna be a big disappointing REHASH of some kind...
Please say it ain't so mad !!!?
Posted by: DonM

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/16/15 01:00 PM

"starting to wonder if Yamaha is listening to us anymore or is the next wave of arrangers gonna be a big disappointing REHASH of some kind."

Why would this time be any different? smile
I actually love some of the Yamaha audio drum styles (that's what they are, all other instruments are midi). The problem is that many of them are too song-specific to be of general use. At least on the S950. I haven't paid any attention to the bigger number of them on Tyros 5.
I used the audio acoustic jazz and swing styles a lot. One downside is they make the traditional Yamaha drum kits sound really bad in comparison.
Nothing at all wrong with midi drums. I just wish Yamaha would put better ones in their arrangers. They certainly have them in the synths!
Fire away. I can take it! smile

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/16/15 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
"starting to wonder if Yamaha is listening to us anymore or is the next wave of arrangers gonna be a big disappointing REHASH of some kind."

Why would this time be any different? smile
I actually love some of the Yamaha audio drum styles (that's what they are, all other instruments are midi). The problem is that many of them are too song-specific to be of general use. At least on the S950. I haven't paid any attention to the bigger number of them on Tyros 5.
I used the audio acoustic jazz and swing styles a lot. One downside is they make the traditional Yamaha drum kits sound really bad in comparison.
Nothing at all wrong with midi drums. I just wish Yamaha would put better ones in their arrangers. They certainly have them in the synths!
Fire away. I can take it! smile

Don once you play & hear those SD7 drums on your NEW Ketron unit drums Yamaha's will be a thing of the past....just sayin' ;-)
Posted by: DonM

Re: The new Yamaha topmodel.... Is a digital piano - 06/16/15 01:14 PM

It has been a thing of the past for a number of years now, set aside a short time with the S950. I love the Korg drums too. And Rolands were good.
But let's be honest, ALL the current arrangers are great! If Yamaha were the only one around, I would have no problem happily playing one for whatever is left of my career.
However, for me and my particular situation and desires, there are several better choices.
I'm going to hate to part with my Korg PA900 because they got a lot of things right with it. Hoping the SD7 will no more things righter! smile