Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo

Posted by: Dnj

Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/03/14 02:35 PM

There's no doubt who the real winner is after listening to this Demo..it's quite obvious! headphone
Posted by: cassp

Re: Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/03/14 07:17 PM

My ears tell me the BK9 has it all over the s950 - and I love my s950... confused1
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/03/14 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: cassp
My ears tell me the BK9 has it all over the s950 - and I love my s950... confused1
memo. I agree..no contest..Donnys ears are gone.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/03/14 08:06 PM

Fran I never mentioned which one I liked better did I ?.....btw my ears are fine just sayin'.

Re: Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/03/14 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Fran I never mentioned which one I liked better did I ?.....btw my ears are fine just sayin'.

What did you say..I didn't hear ya.....

and I didn't say either one.. grin
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/03/14 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

"no doubt" ... "quite obvious" ... very subjective indeed.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/04/14 10:55 AM

One of these comparisons again from which you can never draw any clear conclusions. In the first swing comparison, the player uses a nice Yamaha style and a not-so-nice Roland style. In case anyone believes The BK-9 cannot do better on swing based on this one style variation in this video, well... Then he uses a nice sounding harmonizer for the vibraphone - which he doesn't do in the Roland version. For Yamaha he plays a nice alto sax - why soprano sax for BK-9 instead? In this way you can create any comparative result you want, it doesn't say anything about which instrument is better.

Re: Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/04/14 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: rosetree
One of these comparisons again from which you can never draw any clear conclusions. In the first swing comparison, the player uses a nice Yamaha style and a not-so-nice Roland style. In case anyone believes The BK-9 cannot do better on swing based on this one style variation in this video, well... Then he uses a nice sounding harmonizer for the vibraphone - which he doesn't do in the Roland version. For Yamaha he plays a nice alto sax - why soprano sax for BK-9 instead? In this way you can create any comparative result you want, it doesn't say anything about which instrument is better.

You are right on the money..This company always does this to sell the Yamaha line..or what ever model they are featuring at the time.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Yamaha S950 vs Roland BK9 Keyboard Demo - 10/04/14 12:18 PM

These "tests" appear to be done by someone without a lot of knowledge about either instrument, and who may or may not be biased towards one or the other.

Then, you have key feel, which, although subjective (and personal), is pretty darn important, and in this scenario, keyboard length, also a significant factor.

I believe the Roland will appeal to an entirely different type of player than someone choosing an S950...certainly someone concerned with the extra keyboard acreage, and not concerned about having on-board speakers just to name a few pertinent features.

The people behind these videos aren't doing either product any favors.

Ian