playing your arranger on mega-speakers

Posted by: Mark79100

playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 02:45 AM

Bill (Lewis) and Gary mentioned (in another post) using a really "high end" PA system to sing and play through. I'm using expensive Electro-Voice speakers but, by necessity, nothing huge that I can't carry.

I was in Sam Ash on their talent night because the manager asked me to come in and play the accordion as it would be something different from the multiple guitarists. I can still remember when he plugged me into a huge JBL cabinet...the difference in sound quality and volume and just plain "guts!" My accordion never sounded better and I felt like I just doubled my playing ability because the enhanced sound gave me more freedom of expression in my playing.

So.....my question is.......have any of you playing an arranger ever played it over a really powerhouse speaker system (I'm talking about speakers you need a crane to lift)?

I already mentioned that I'm thinking about starting working on my PA3x and when Bill mentioned you need good playing skills, better vocals, and a great PA system.....that started me thinking I've never heard what "any" arranger would sound like on a system that Yanni would use to play to 100,000 people! The kind of a system that would take a dozen UPS trucks to haul in. I'm wondering would something like that really wake up an audience at a large outdoor festival or event?

Mark
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 06:19 AM

My large system is 4 1000 watt Crowns, 16 15"'s with horns, 4 18 " powered subs.

I use it with a band; not usually with an arranger. Occasionally, I'll play breaks on the arranger.

It's louder, for sure (LOL)!

R.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 06:58 AM

The fullness and especially bottom end will certainly inspire your playing but as you said the practical matter of moving a big system is something we all must deal with. When I had a trio and was using a drum machine, keyboards and bass pedals I sometimes would bring my 2 X 15" subwoofer. Whole new world.

A guy I mentioned in previous posts "Al Rondo" had a massive system but he didn't move. Played 6 nights a week in one place. When he went from his longtime gig at a big resort to a restaurant he was "just using" 8 JBL three way cabinets with 18" woofers in them and on top he had 8 high end stereo speakers for the 1 mic he had for guest singers. He really rocked the dinner crowd BIG SOUND !
If I ever got a stable gig again I would have a full range 15" cabinet facing me just for a monitor.
Looks like Capt. Russ wins the I got the most toys contest. Love to hear it someday.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 07:28 AM

At one time I performed using a pair of Bose L1 standards rigged with 4 bass bins - best sounding, overall, system I've ever used. 2,200 watts total.

The largest system was a house setup at the Maryland Senior Expo at the Maryland State Fair Grounds, 35,000-watts, speakers all over the place that were immense, it was awesome.

Gary cool
Posted by: Rustykeys

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 08:06 AM

I already know that a Hammond thru a Leslie 122 can't be beat, and I have played my Tyros 3 thru the same Leslie. What a big difference from my M 2101. Bigger & powerful = GREAT SOUNDS cool2
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 03:25 PM

I've played a few gigs where 'they' supplied the sound system, and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!! ... also, those few times came with a professional sound man who really knew what he was doing ...
Reminds me of the time we saw Shirley Bassey perform at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC ... the opening act - male/female vocal duo - was good and the PA system sound good too... THEN, they got ready for Ms Bassey and about six 4X4 foot speakers came out from the walls ... talk about a DIFFERENCE ! ...
Posted by: zuki

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 06:04 PM

I'm very pleased (so far) with my PRO speakers. I use them as wedges behind me and can really hear things well. The PA3x is my gear. Will never play a 61 note board again. The thin footprint and wheeled case makes it an easy do. Loving every minute again and seeing old friends.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 07:32 PM

YEAH ZUKI !!! keys
I went through the 'period' of not playing gigs, so I know how it feels once you get back out there ... enjoy every note you play !!!
Posted by: Henni

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 09:13 PM

Hi,

Maybe we don't need a crane to carry, but we HAVE to transport in a custom built trailer.

The earth really vibrates where we play regularly, especially since adding those Celstion 18" double basss bins! I think we're good for a few thousand people, but most definitely not 100 000! But we're aiming to get there...

Cheers,

Henni

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/17/14 11:06 PM

These are some mighty impressive speakers you guys have, but I think I said my question wrong. I meant....

Does your arranger sound a lot different when using huge speakers......do you feel better about playing it and feel like a king on his throne.......do you "play" better......what does it feel like under your fingers...can it almost compete with a small band (with lesser speakers) in "fullness" of sound. I'm talking about speakers that will make that bass rip through the earth like a bolt of lightning, the accompaniment instruments sound like an actual band behind you, a string patch come across like the London Philharmonic, etc

I went to see this "Salsa-American" orchestra last week at an outdoor Festival. 11 Latinos in the orchestra and all I could hear is the cowbell cutting through. I looked. They were using 20 year old Peavey combo amps on the floor and NOTHING in the air. I couldn't make out a thing they were playing (and that cowbell rang in my ears long after I left)!

The week before that I saw a DJ at another festival trying to cover a whole football field including the spectator stands using 10" QSC speakers. I had to go stand next to him to hear what he was playing.

My point: after Bill (Lewis) mentioned "P.A. systems" I've been noticing more than ever that few bands around here use really good speakers. So.....I've been thinking is THAT the gimmick you need to make it these days as an arranger player? A huge sound that wraps itself around you, knocks the stuffing out of you, and makes you just plain want to dance?

I'm very happy with my Electro-Voice system but now I'm really wondering what the potential is of a high-end arranger using really high-end speakers? Would that possibly lead to a resurrection of the arranger keyboard....or would it just lead to a lot of grumpy musicians signing up to work out at gyms just so they can carry around speakers big enough to put a gift shop in them?

Mark

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/18/14 01:50 AM

I guess I could answer yes to your question. It's nice to feel the music. Everything sounds so much better than at home. It really inspires one to play better, especially with the Audya. And those Celstians really make one feel the sound!

However, our system is a little small for your question, but I doubt you'll find many over here who plays their arranger as a omb only through a bigger system.

Cheers mate,

Henni
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/19/14 10:38 AM

What EV system do you have? EV is good stuff so maybe you already have enough to get that sound. Adding a small sub might be all you need.

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/20/14 10:18 PM

Bill....I have 3 EV systems: The System 1, System 2, and the System 3. I have the two EV subs that go with all of them. But the sub sounds very muddy. I called EV about it and they told me how to set it up, but I never get really good bass out of it...I stopped using them after someone complained that, although it was shaking the floor, it was also distorting the overall sound.

The music scene has changed so much since I gave it up 2 years ago, I'm going to back up and spend some major time thinking, if I want to get back to where you guys are at, how to adapt to the changes and what equipment I need to buy this time around.

Mark

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/20/14 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Henni
It's nice to feel the music. Everything sounds so much better than at home. It really inspires one to play better, especially with the Audya.

Yep.....that's the answer I was hoping to hear. I'm curious mostly to hear what the drums sound like over garage-size speakers.

I've actually been thinking about taking that PA3x to one of the many summer festivals around here where they're using multiple, expensive quality speakers and asking the sound man if I could play (before the festival starts) for five minutes through it just for the "feel?" And I might just do that!

May I ask what you are actually doing with your keyboard there in South Africa.....some kind of humanitarian work was the impression I got.

Mark

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/20/14 11:13 PM

Hi Mark,

Someone suggested that instead of putting the sub way out in the front of us, that I actually put it to one side behind us.

I did so on Sunday and it worked very well. This time round even I could feel the bass pumping whilst playing & I really liked it.

We do open air evangelism most of the time. We sing Praise & worship, preach the Gospel & hand out food & clothes. You can see more about it here. Hence our fully equipped trailer. I'm going to add sliding up spray lights and a movie projector & slide out screen to it soon. I'll post some pics when I'm done with those.

And no, the pulpit is not our idea. We NEVER use one, but this time round we were only helping out at a new congregation getting started...

Also notice that I've started to use he S950 for outreaches again. Those new Yamaha styles converted from the Tyros 5 are GREAT!!!

I think that soon I'll use both the Audya & S950 when we perform. I already purchased a dual keyboard stand for this purpose. Thus I'll have the best of both worlds to my disposal.

Some of our latest music using the S950:

Song 01

Song 02

Song 03

Song 04

Song 05

Song 06

Song 07

Song 08

Song 09

Song 10

Song 11

All the best my friends,

Henni
Posted by: DonM

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/21/14 05:46 AM

Mark, before you buy anything, do yourself a favor and find a Bose L1 with sub, or even two of them, to play through. It will send chills down your back!
I'm not going to reopen the argument, but times have changed. At least try them.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/21/14 07:38 AM

Ditto!
Posted by: 124

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/21/14 08:27 AM

Ditto II.

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/22/14 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Henni
Hi Mark,

Someone suggested that instead of putting the sub way out in the front of us, that I actually put it to one side behind us.

I did so on Sunday and it worked very well. This time round even I could feel the bass pumping whilst playing & I really liked it.

Henni,

Interesting what you wrote here. Now that I think of it, I always had the subs in FRONT of me. It's been so long since I used them, I think I'm going to give EV another call and ask them again about how to set them up using the accompanying "processor."

Regards....what you're doing with the music, I have to admire you for where your dedication lies. Whether you're doing it effectively or not, the point is.......you're reaching out and doing something "outside" of yourself with your music.

That's somewhat similar to my situation. I've always played music to make people happy rather than "just play music." That's my own way of giving back to Him that blessed me with music.

Lately I'm questioning....how can I continue to do that without going back to "burnout" mode. (i.e use my music talent in another way but continue my obligation to my Creator?

I end this here before the "religious" conversation erupts again!

Mark

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/22/14 03:02 AM

A lady friend of mine runs a professional ladies singing group. They sounded good through their P.A. It's only recently she mentioned they're using those Bose speakers.

I suppose there's no harm in paying a visit to SA and checking out the L1's. Whatever it takes to get me back into playing again!

Mark

Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers - 07/22/14 03:21 AM

Hi Mark,

I could not care less for the eruptions. It happens all the time and everywhere we minister. It's all part & parcel of the full package & it will NEVER be any different.

As far as the burn-out is concerned: You know yourself that the things in His Word are hidden and the exact opposite to the norm. Every time we reach out, we end up being on a high for awhile like someone on drugs. I think it is His way to inspire one to keep on doing this. I can suggest no better remedy for your burn-out.

Long before, when I used to reach out on my own, a friend of mine accompanied me on some of those outreaches. He did nothing but help set up the speakers & help to take them down afterwards. He said that he never experienced such fulfilment in all of his life.

How does one start? Simple, just start. Let me share how I started. We were living right on the sea shore in some sort of bay area. I always had a lot of sound, I never knew why before.

One day my son looked out the window & saw someone standing ankle deep in the water, pointing a stick to our house. On the impulse, I switched on the sound and started playing Gospel music, rather loud. He first started swaying in the water. Then he fell on his knees & then he left.

When I stopped playing, & the music was still hanging in the air, I clearly heard Him say: "So what are you waiting for?". Right there & then I packed all my equipment and headed out to the coloured villiage. My ex wife and even my children reprimanded me for my unqualified intentions, but I heard Him and that was more than enough for me.

I drove around until I found a open area in between all the houses, set up all my equipment, started playing and later started off by merely saying whatever came to mind. I was AMAZED by just how much I had to say without even realizing so!

I has never stopped since & I've never looked back. There is no recipe apart from this: JUST GO!!! Everything will fall into place and you'll be a changed person in the process. If not for them, then be selfish like us & do it for yourself. You'll never look back. And the time will NEVER be just right to start, so you might as well start immediately.

Any discussions or arguments about this can be had over at the bar as I've responded to the thread that Chas has started over there.

Cheers mate,

Henni.