OT - more health cr@p

Posted by: DonM

OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 10:43 AM

Took stress test this morning. Have blockage and going to have a heart cath next Tuesday and Dr. thinks I will need another stent or two. He said the antibiotics didn't directly cause my chest pain but that they exposed the problem that was already there.
No exercise until then. Hope I make it til then without having to go on in earlier.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 10:48 AM

Don ... so sorry to hear that, man ... hopefully they caught everything in time so there is no damage to your heart ...
also, hopefully there is no NEED for you to go in earlier, but if they find time in their schedule, the sooner the better ...
Our prayers are with you and Susan ...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 10:59 AM

Wow. I suspected that, but was hoping you wouldn't have to undergo another cath and stent procedure. Fortunately, you likely have sufficient collateral circulation so ischemic damage will be unlikely. They'll usually give you that information when you undergo the cathederization.

Good luck old friend,

Gary cool
Posted by: billyhank

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 11:05 AM

Don,

Since you do play golf, you probably have developed enough collateral circulation to provide enough blood to prevent damage to the heart - you've already been down the stent road, so you know what to expect there.

Hope all goes good and your back out and about singing soon.

Bill G
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 11:09 AM

Don godspeed my dear friend.....I pray you get very healthy after all this and get back to a happy life as always.
I love you man!!
Posted by: Saswick

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 11:24 AM

Hi Don

Our thoughts are with you and your good Lady.

Colin & June
Posted by: Joesax

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 11:43 AM

Will keep you in my prayers.
Posted by: hammer

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 11:58 AM

Hi Don,
Sure hate to hear the bad news. We hope all goes well for you and will
be keeping you in our prayers.

Deane and Glenda
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 12:15 PM

Don:

Sorry to hear about this. I'll remember you in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

Dave Rice
Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 01:09 PM

Still praying ...
Posted by: 124

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 01:34 PM

Wishing you the very best, Don.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 03:00 PM

Sorry to hear that. Here's to good health.
Posted by: brickboo

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 03:33 PM

I love ya friend, Take care and give Susan a big hug for me eh?

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 03:54 PM

Thanks guys. I'm sure it will be for the best. Dr. says I will feel like a new man when it's over. Sure hope so.
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 04:24 PM

Don,
Wishing you the best for a speedy recovery .
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 05:12 PM

Don...
Wishing you the best and appreciate you keeping us informed.
Eddie
Posted by: KORG80

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 08:17 PM

Add me to the list of those praying for you Don. Sounds like they found out what you need before things progressed any further. 14 years ago without any discussion of medication or stents, doctors determined that I was a candidate for quintuple bypass. Heart disease was in the family as my dad and all my uncles passed away because of it. I was a phys ed teacher in good shape and thought I had avoided the problems. However, my surgeon told me afterwards that I have very small blood vessels and… that was my genetic factor. They operated successfully and turned me into a new man.

I believe they have caught your problems in time to avoid invasive surgery. I will pray for your full recovery and also for strength for you to make necessary lifestyle adjustments. God bless you, my friend.

Don from Canada
Posted by: Nigel

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/03/14 11:28 PM

All the best Don. Sounds like you had it detected early before it became a major problem. Getting old sucks but it sure beats not getting old.
Posted by: Keith W. Bailey

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 04:45 AM

I don't know anyone on the forums that doesn't like Don! I have been praying for him daily and will trust God to heal Him completely. I also pray for his good wife, since she is the care giver to him! we sometimes forget that the wives are in this with each one of our problems!
Posted by: big741.1

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 08:54 AM

Take care, Don. I hope you have many more songs to sing. smile
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 10:53 AM

Don,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm sure you will be just fine.
Posted by: john smies

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 01:10 PM

Hi Don,

I am not a religious person but my thoughts are with you for a positive operation and a speedy full recovery .

John
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 01:25 PM

Like John, I ain't religious either, Don, but you know that when I wish you a speedy recovery, I mean it from the heart...so get your heart back on the beat.

Ian
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 02:36 PM

God Bless at hope you can get thru this trying time. Lloyd
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 05:55 PM

Don.......ain't nothin' gonna happen to you (is that the way they talk in Louisiana?). You see, we're not going to let anything to you 'cause you've become the group patriarch!

Mark

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 08:46 PM

Thanks everyone. Dr. rescheduled my procedure to Friday, so two days to wait now. He said to go to er if I have another problem before then.
Have to cancel Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
Please say prayers, cross fingers or think good thoughts.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/04/14 08:59 PM

I'm thinking of y'all friend, and want ya to be around for a long time.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 04:32 AM

Don, I am still asking my God to touch your ailing body! I have confidence in Him and have a personal relationship with Christ. You are valuable to us, your wife and anyone who knows you! Have faith that God knows best for you!
Posted by: Beemer

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 05:32 AM

Don,

Here in Scotland I will be thinking of you on Friday.

I'm sure your surgeon is a good "arranger".

God bless,

Ian
Posted by: donpatt

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 07:28 AM

Get well soon mi amigo! We're praying for ya!

Don P + Emma Lee
Posted by: 124

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: DonM
Thanks everyone. Dr. rescheduled my procedure to Friday, so two days to wait now. He said to go to er if I have another problem before then.
Have to cancel Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
Please say prayers, cross fingers or think good thoughts.

Crossing fingers, legs, eyes - everything for you, mate. All the best.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 08:12 AM

Don't you go dying on me you old fart. I'm not driving to Bossier City for anything other than a fun visit with you and Susan.

Gary cool

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 09:15 AM

Now in hospital. Had a bad episode at 4 am. Cath will be early tomorrow. Got to rest now.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 09:28 AM

Prayers Don.....get well before buddy.
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 10:07 AM

Hi Don . I did not understand what the topic title was about . I am really sorry to hear about hour health troubles . I really hope and pray everything works out . Prayers are going up for you

God bless .

Worth
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 10:29 AM

Don

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and back to your keyboard and golf.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 11:36 AM

Don, our prayers are with you ... best of health, buddy ...
Posted by: zuki

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 11:45 AM

You've been on my mind for days. Godspeed and let the medicine men do their wonders smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 02:20 PM

My prayers for your healing. God Bless and watch over you. Lloyd

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 04:08 PM

I just got off the telephone with Don, he seems to be in good spirits, and trying to prepare himself for tomorrow's cardiac cath and stent placement. If everything goes well, and there's no reason to believe it will not, he should get out of the hospital on Friday. Of course, he will be weight restricted for about 7 to 10 days because of the catheter insertion site needs to properly heal before any lifting of anything. It's just a safety precaution. He will also be grounded from driving for the same time frame for the same reason.

Cheers,

Gary cool
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 05:09 PM

We're here for ya, Don! Get healthy and then quit all that golf and fishin' ... it'll make anyone old before their time!
smile
Love ya, man.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 05:13 PM

Golf and fishing is what has kept him young all these years, Dave - I should know. No golf for me, mainly because I'm not very good at it, but fishing, you betcha - every chance I get.

Gary cool
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 05:15 PM

There's a fine line that separates fishing from just standing on the edge of a boat or beach.
smile

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 07:03 PM

That fine line is called "catching'! They don't call fishing, catching, but not all anglers are successful.

Brian, cath, obviously is short for catheterization, which is the procedure Don will undergo first thing tomorrow morning. Of course, that may be the name of the operating room nurse as well. wink I hope to talk with Don as soon as he gets out of the Operating Room and cath lab tomorrow, and if and when I do I will provide an update.

Gary cool

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/05/14 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
There's a fine line that separates fishing from just standing on the edge of a boat or beach.
smile

An original band I used to play in called The Flatheads. Helps to put the fun into fishing laugh2
Posted by: Ketron_AJ

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 03:56 AM

Our prayers from our family to yours during this lent season. You shall be well!

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 04:57 AM

Don, I am still praying along with many others for God to heal you and the procedure will go well! Everyone is behind you friend!
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 11:47 AM

Hey guys, been in Nashville recording an album for several months, haven't been on here. What's weird about this I just HAPPENED to click on here yesterday I guess it was, and saw this post about Don. Isn't that odd! I had not communicated with Don in a couple weeks. So, I called him and got the scoop.

Well, now, more news. They went in to do the cath (and probable stents) and coming out, nicked an artery. That caused a heart attack. So, they had to get him to OR and do bypass surgery. So far, so good, he is in recovery. That's all I know at this time.

Take care of yourselves! I know I could improve, myself! Lot of good folks on here, here's to better days for Don.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 12:24 PM

Nigel, I got to meet the gal holding up the pair of largemouth bass, and I know the guy that took the photo. It was a promo shot for a bass fishing boat company.

Gary cool

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 12:25 PM

Bill, thank you for the update ... so sorry to hear about the complications, but glad he is OK so far ...
We will keep Don and his family in our prayers ...

Bill ... Hoping you did well in Nashville ...

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 12:25 PM

Thanks for the information, Bill. I've tried calling him several times today, figuring he should be back in his room by now, but after that episode he won't be taking any calls for a while.

Gary cool

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 12:33 PM

Bill thanks for letting us know about our friend. I don't want to call and flood Susan with a BUNCH OF QUESTIONS. Maybe you or Gary can keep us informed, I hope.
Thanks again Bill

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 01:45 PM

Just heard from Susan...Don had some complications but he is doing well & recovering in ICU now....more later.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 04:00 PM

Don is out of surgery, in the ICU and his condition is critical, but stable and improving.

Essentially, what occurred is the catheter curled while inside the coronary artery, and as it was being withdrawn it punched a hole in the coronary artery. This is extremely rare, but can occur. The tear in the artery caused him to lose a lot of blood, all of which was going into his chest cavity.

In order to repair the tear, which also resulted in a heart attack (myocardial infarction) they had to rush him to the operating room, opened his chest, then removed a segment of saphenous vein from his leg, which was used to bypass the damaged area. They also used a segment of mammary artery from his chest wall to do additional repairs. In the process the doctors noted some blockage of his circumflex coronary artery as well, but is was only about 50 percent, which you can live with.

He will likely be in the ICU for at least two to three days, then moved to a step-down area before being moved back to a room with a full-time cardiac monitor. After about another 3 to 7 days, depending upon his progress, they will get him out of bed and begin physical and cardiac rehab. Depending on his progress, he should be out of the hospital in two to three weeks, then on a 3 to 4 day a week physical and cardiac rehab program for about 12 to 24 weeks, depending on his insurance coverage. It's a long road, but Don is a pretty strong guy and physically, I'm sure he can handle it. The mental anguish, however, can be even more difficult to overcome. I sincerely believe he's pretty strong in that department as well. Then it's back to golf, fishing and music.

Gary cool
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 04:09 PM

Thanks, Gary and Donny:

Anything regarding operating rooms and operations get my full attention. I'm hoping that Mason recovers quickly like the trooper he is. My prayers are with him.

Dave Rice
Posted by: sparky589

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 07:09 PM

Wishing you well Don. My Dad had bypass surgery many years ago and hasn't had any related troubles since. All of this is fodder for a good country song...maybe I'll work on it. In the meantime rest............

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 07:15 PM

Thanks friends for keeping us posted. If I called, I'd do him more harm than good. I'd just break up. I can't handle this stuff very well.
Thanks again

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 07:40 PM

Boo, he won't be able to take calls for at least a week. No phones in the ICU, CCU or Step Down center.

I'm merely speculating how long he will be in the hospital from my many years of working in this field. He could go home sooner if his progress accelerates.

Gary cool

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/06/14 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Nigel, I got to meet the gal holding up the pair of largemouth bass, and I know the guy that took the photo. It was a promo shot for a bass fishing boat company.

Gary cool

That's awesome Gary. I hope they would approve of the non commercial use of that image for our song. It just seemed to fit in.

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/07/14 11:03 AM

... no news about Don? ...

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/07/14 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Don is out of surgery, in the ICU and his condition is critical, but stable and improving.

I sincerely believe he's pretty strong in that department as well. Then it's back to golf, fishing and music.

Gary cool

Gary, of course it goes without saying, that if you are speaking with Susan, or Don himself, to let them know he's got a bunch of concerned friends here on SZ that are rooting for him to have a quick recovery.

Ian

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/07/14 08:15 PM

no one has heard anything more about Don?
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 02:21 AM

I'm sure I'm speaking for many of us here.

To those of you who are in touch with Don or his wife (Gary, Donny, Boo, etc). I know the recovery is going to be difficult, but I'm more concerned right now for when he's safely out of the "danger zone" and on his way to rehabilitation.

Also....this is going to be a big change in lifestyle for him now. How is he taking the whole thing? Emotionally....mentally, etc?

Mainly, could you keep us advised as soon as you get the word that he's ..........."out of the danger zone?"

Thanks

Mark

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 06:24 AM

UPDATE - Don is still in the ICU, slowly progressing, and the doctors told Susan that he is on track for a full recovery. He is still in quite a bit of pain, which is to be expected. She said they were hoping to move him to a step-down unit today or tomorrow. Because of Don's size, he is very uncomfortable in the hospital bed. Don is a big guy, stands 6'-5" tall and tips the scales at about 265. Consequently, his feet are always touching the bottom of the bed, while his head is touching the top. Additionally, anyone that has been in a hospital bed knows how uncomfortable those rock-hard mattresses can be.

Gary cool
Posted by: DannyUK

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 06:34 AM

My thoughts are prayers are with Don and his family right now, may he make a full recovery very soon.
Posted by: billyhank

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 07:15 AM

No doubt about it - if there is one thing that will expedite your exit from the hospital, it is those beds. ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 07:38 AM

Gary ... thanks for the update ... it's good to know he is recovering, even if it is with pain ...
Our prayers are with him, Susan and the family ...

I feel for him about the bed ... I am 6'2"and I didn't feel I fit in them ...

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 08:06 AM

Thanks Gary...thankfully he is on the mend.

I had the same issue with hospital beds, and like Tony, I'm only 6'2", but it was a tight fit...plus, those mattresses are harder than a mother-in-law's heart.

If you are speaking with him or Susan, let him know we are all wishing the best for him.

Ian

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
plus, those mattresses are harder than a mother-in-law's heart.
Ian

rotf2

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 10:40 AM

Thanks so much friend. Don's a big Teddy Bear. Ya gotta love him whether ya like him or not.
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/08/14 06:42 PM

I guess he won't croak on us yet, lol, fishing is just heating up and The Masters is in a few weeks. I figure he'll recover just fine, I know that open heart surgery is not fun!

Re: OT - more health cr@p - 03/09/14 08:40 AM

smile