Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far?

Posted by: Dnj

Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/04/14 02:51 PM

Inquiring minds want to know first thoughts........confused1
Posted by: zuki

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/04/14 05:49 PM

Since playing raw piano for the last couple years, 61 keys wasn't gonna cut it any longer. I want to add more piano in my setups. This was the only reason I gave the BK a go.

Good luck Don. Fun trying new stuff. I don't mind being in the "gophers club" smile
Posted by: DonM

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/04/14 10:36 PM

I've played the PA900 for a few hours now. Sounds good, easy to navigate, since I already know the OS. In fact there are some improvements in the navigation.
I am disappointed that a number of my favorite styles from the PA3x are missing, including Blues Shuffle, which has been on every Korg from many generations. Also Big Band Shuffle, which I cannibalized to make a country shuffle. No real problem since I can find them and load them into User or Factory slots. Every category has a smaller number of styles. Just a little extra work if I decide to keep it.
I'm sure the sounds from the PA3x are better, but I can't hear it.
Vocal Harmonizer works great. It is not as complex as the PA3X, but does everything I need it to do, and access to make and save changes is easier. Headroom also is better on the input.
1/4-inch mic input is a step backward.
No wall wart, but a dedicated power cable. I think it looks like the same one that Tyros used to have, but not sure.
I would have to get a midi foot controller of some kind to address at least three functions. The 900 comes with Volume, Sustain and one Programmable. It does not accept EC5. Wish it did.
I think I actually like the organ drawbars on the touch screen better than the real ones on the 3x. Ones on the BK9 are still better.
I do enjoy the BIG touch screen.
Wish I could take the features I like from the BK9 and combine them with this. That would be a killer. Almost makes me want to keep them both! Almost.
Time to sleep now.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 03:45 PM

Don ... you got mail ...
hope it works ... let me know ...
keys

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
I've played the PA900 for a few hours now. Sounds good, easy to navigate, since I already know the OS. In fact there are some improvements in the navigation.
I am disappointed that a number of my favorite styles from the PA3x are missing, including Blues Shuffle, which has been on every Korg from many generations. Also Big Band Shuffle, which I cannibalized to make a country shuffle. No real problem since I can find them and load them into User or Factory slots. Every category has a smaller number of styles. Just a little extra work if I decide to keep it.
I'm sure the sounds from the PA3x are better, but I can't hear it.
Vocal Harmonizer works great. It is not as complex as the PA3X, but does everything I need it to do, and access to make and save changes is easier. Headroom also is better on the input.
1/4-inch mic input is a step backward.
No wall wart, but a dedicated power cable. I think it looks like the same one that Tyros used to have, but not sure.
I would have to get a midi foot controller of some kind to address at least three functions. The 900 comes with Volume, Sustain and one Programmable. It does not accept EC5. Wish it did.
I think I actually like the organ drawbars on the touch screen better than the real ones on the 3x. Ones on the BK9 are still better.
I do enjoy the BIG touch screen.
Wish I could take the features I like from the BK9 and combine them with this. That would be a killer. Almost makes me want to keep them both! Almost.
Time to sleep now.

Don thank you for the review...I'll talk to you l8tr. keys
Posted by: Diki

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 03:48 PM

It's a shame Roland don't make a BK-9m...

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 04:44 PM

Don, please don't say the 900 is as good as the 3x. You are usually right! smile

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 05:13 PM

Oh I wouldn't say that, but for my purposes it may be a better fit. Still deciding.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: zuki
Don, please don't say the 900 is as good as the 3x. You are usually right! smile

Zuki,..being they are so close...I wondered why you didnt get the Pa900 too vs the Pa3x 76 confused1
Posted by: billyhank

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 05:34 PM

Oh - I started with the 900 and moved over to the 3X - I wouldn't want to go back to the 900.

The Tyros models spoiled me with the tilt display and i also wanted the internal hard drive and 76 keys.

BUT - if I were a gigging guy, it would have to be the 900 - same keybed, nice and lite, and great sounds too.

Bill G

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 05:45 PM

Perhaps it's time, after all the hoopla about the T5 76 being so popular, for Korg and Yamaha to join with Roland, and produce an affordable MOTL 76? Roland have already shown it can be done without a weight penalty...

A PSR9x0 76, with a better action, and a PA900/76 would probably sell pretty well if the T5/76's success is anything to go by...

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: billyhank
BUT - if I were a gigging guy, it would have to be the 900 - same keybed, nice and lite, and great sounds too.
Bill G

I'll say this .......if the Pa900 was out when I had my Pa3x over a year ago,......I would probably be playing it right now vs the S950 as a gigging KB.....just due to the better features, display, touch screen, VH, etc,...... as the sounds & styles are of no consequence they both sound good.
I have no regrets. Something revolutionary will have to come out next for me to get excited to buy again.
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/05/14 11:42 PM

We don't know how popular the T5 76 key version is yet . As far as I know no numbers have been obtained by anyone
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
We don't know how popular the T5 76 key version is yet . As far as I know no numbers have been obtained by anyone

It's all speculation but I know of some very unofficial numbers that a particular dealer(of course he will remain unnamed ) was selling T5-61 at a 2 to one margin to the 76 key model. At the PSR forum many I have been in contact with half dozen owners of T5s who purchased the 76 key model. Have to believe the 76 model launch has been a reasonable success ( only my opinion).

A couple of weeks ago Tony Mads ( Pa900) and myself(Pa3x 61) got together for a jam. Although we did not A/B the boards I didn't hear a lot of difference between the 900 and the 3x, maybe next time we meet we should do an A/B comparison.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: spalding1968

Only information i got was at a Baartmans demo from Yamaha in Holland... I spoke to the official yamaha representive of the Benelux... by then it was about 60% for 61 and 40% for 76... mainly because the price difference is actually rather small.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 07:23 AM

I have a tendency to play very high on the key. The 900 is difficult to press the keys down at the top - they seem very tight. Some notes wouldn't play when I played faster.

Besides that, I just need a 76 (min) keyboard. Should've never played a piano for last 2 years - spoiled me.

If and when I play out, I'll grin and bear it. I don't plan on many gigs, although I can stick my usb in and go play very soon (past 800 performances).

Sitting for 6 hours looking down stresses my neck (multiple spine surgeries) and I end up very sore. The tilt will be great along with everything else this monster offers smile

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 07:39 AM

Started this discussion about Pa900 vs Pa3x a few weeks ago :

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=88337

Just wondering what features you miss most from your Pa3x?

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 09:59 AM

Miss most so far:
[1] Facility to use EC5 foot switch (NUMBER ONE)
[2] Dedicated switches to select status of Upper One, Upper Two, Upper Three and Lower. Have to use screen now. Not critical.
[3] You know, I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any right now!
I think I could get a small midi foot control to replace the EC5.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 12:03 PM

Miss most so far:
[1] Facility to use EC5 foot switch (NUMBER ONE)
[2] Dedicated switches to select status of Upper One, Upper Two, Upper Three and Lower. Have to use screen now. Not critical.
[3] You know, I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any right now!
I think I could get a small midi foot control to replace the EC5.

keep or not? confused1

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 04:07 PM

Zuki... a piano doesn't spoil you. 61 note keyboards short-change you!

No-one should EVER feel bad about playing a lot of piano!
Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 05:03 PM

Zuki, I agree, I have that problem with my Pa900, it's generally only a problem when playing chords with the right hand, but I have to be very conscious of it when I do!

Do you find it better with the Pa3X? I've heard people say it's the same keyboard action.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 05:43 PM

Graham - keyboard coming soon (hopefully by the wknd) smile

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/06/14 06:39 PM

Zuki... there's a lot to be said for footswitch pedals if you don't want to look down a whole lot. One reason I think the BK-9 is so good. A seven switch pedal in a MOTL arranger.

Nice!

Anything you can do with your feet is something you don't have to take your hands off the keyboard and look for while you press buttons...

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/07/14 11:00 AM

I have made my decision. I will keep the PA900 and return the BK9. It was a tough choice, but I'm more comfortable with the Korg, and setup is quite a lot quicker and easier since it is totally self-contained.
I have set up about 50 entries in Songbook and have stumbled on a way to make organizing them much easier.
I also found a way to eliminate the need for at least one footswitch by assigned Break/fill to Dynamic Arranger function. In other words when I play pretty hard (adjustable) with my left hand, it triggers the Break/fill.
I have not recorded anything yet, but expect it to sound a little different from PA3X, but not much. I hope.
I'm waiting for Captain Russ to decide if he wants to add the BK9 to his arsenal before returning it.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/07/14 11:29 AM

Well, it's finally done, Don, and you can rest at ease and concentrate on the one instrument.

I'm probably lucky I'm not tempted by anything else....yet!

So I'm hangin' in there with the Tyros4.

Ian

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/07/14 12:23 PM

I have made my decision. I will keep the PA900 and return the BK9. It was a tough choice, but I'm more comfortable with the Korg, and setup is quite a lot quicker and easier since it is totally self-contained.
I have set up about 50 entries in Songbook and have stumbled on a way to make organizing them much easier.
I also found a way to eliminate the need for at least one footswitch by assigned Break/fill to Dynamic Arranger function. In other words when I play pretty hard (adjustable) with my left hand, it triggers the Break/fill.
I have not recorded anything yet, but expect it to sound a little different from PA3X, but not much. I hope.
I'm waiting for Captain Russ to decide if he wants to add the BK9 to his arsenal before returning it.

Doesnt this make you feel sad you left the pa3x behind in the first place?

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/07/14 12:53 PM

I always had mixed emotions about it, however this is lighter, does all I need it to do, and I was able to sell the PA3X for just about what I gave for it two years ago. There were also some other considerations in my selling it.
I will be able to know more for certain after I have done a dozen or so jobs and done more tweaking.
I'm just now playing with the Limiter and E.Q. through my P.A. at "gig" volume.
Sounds pretty darn good to me. Maybe more live and in-your-face than the PA3X even, but that's probably just e.q.
I will record something later and if it sounds decent to me, I'll post it for criticism.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/07/14 01:08 PM

clap keys clap good choice Don and good luck!! cool2

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/07/14 11:40 PM

Here are two songs I recorded that also have links in other threads. As mentioned, one-take, no editing.
http://donmasonmusic.com/Korg%20PA900/

I would appreciate comments and criticisms if you wish.
Posted by: adimatis

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 12:43 AM

No criticism from here!
Sounds so very nice!
Did I hear a female vocal or is it the VH? If so, not too bad at all!

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 06:14 AM

Really good Don, can you share your vocal harmony settings, please?
Posted by: billyhank

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 06:50 AM

Don,

I don't think it matters which keyboard you keep, they all sound great in your hands. And - now we can all say once more, a pro can make any instrument sound wonderful. ;-)

Bill G

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 07:28 AM

I had a feeling you'd dump, just by your ongoing analysis. I'm hoping to have my 3x76 today and NO looking back. I feel very blessed to have amazing equipment to record or play live. Looking fwd to see how my 800 sets transfer. Now if I can get the wife to let me off the leash smile I'll also use this on church stage (we have a huge old Fantom), which will be a lot of fun. A long time friend is our music director and a great keyboard player. He knows nothing about the arranger - can't wait to witness his amazement (not my playing-just the board capabilities ) smile

I agreee Don, doesn't matter what you play, you have a style all your own, which makes you popular....

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 07:38 AM

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 07:51 AM

Thanks, it as vocal harmonizer. One voice, a third above, gender shifted to female.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 11:04 AM

Don, As much as the Bose shines when placed behind us ... I've found that it sometimes confuses the harmonizer at higher volumes. Now that you have the on board speakers ... try putting them even with your kb's front ... you'll hear from the PA900 speakers and there will be no bleed through. Shorter cables runs too! Just a thought.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 11:34 AM

Thanks Dave, but I sold the Bose speakers. My second HK Nano arrived just a few minutes ago. In my office I am facing them, so rejection is only so-so. On the job, they will be more easily aimed for optimum direction.
I am just now setting my the double Nano set in "double stereo" you might say. Sounds terrific.
First real test for my new setup will be big Valentine's party at the country club.
One day next week, weather permitting, I will go to the Veteran's Retirement home and do a freebie to check things out.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 11:40 AM

I never keep my Pa speakers behind me....always parallel to my EARS...4-8 feet to each side of me on stage. I hear what the audience hears.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I never keep my Pa speakers behind me....

Of course not ... conventional systems would howl like Banshees!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 12:46 PM

smile
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By: Dnj
I never keep my Pa speakers behind me....

Of course not ... conventional systems would howl like Banshees!

Not if you set the mics and PA up correctly smile

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 03:07 PM

Thanks Don, I like that setting! Even my (toughest critic) wife likes it! laugh

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 03:30 PM

Fran, that speaker looks like it's 20 feet from the mic. Most of us don't have that luxury of space. When I play the local Italian restaurant, the Bose is just two feet from the end of the keyboard. Same was true at the Tiki Bars.

Gary cool

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 04:07 PM

Gary, what you don't see is the other speaker behind my shoulder...we are in stereo..

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 04:25 PM

You're right I can't see it. Don't you have a feedback problem with your mic? I don't think your female vocalist would, because she's a fair distance to your right and well away from both speakers. I guess if you worked the EQs with the emphasis on the bass and lower frequencies that may solve the problem with the mic proximity.

Gary cool

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 05:01 PM

Unidirectional mics...a must...I use the same one you have..A Samson Q7....Keep the speaker as high as you can if on poles,,and naturally..EQ makes or breaks..

Usually JoAnn and Stu alternate near the other speaker..taking turns at center stage..

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/08/14 07:22 PM

That Samson Q7 is a great mic - incredibly feedback resistant and produces excellent vocal quality. Don Mason recently got the new Q8 and says it's even better.

Cheers,

Gary cool
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/09/14 03:10 AM

Hi.

A bit OT, but:

Looking to the pictures in Dnj's post it seem to me that the performer try to hide himself behind all that equipment when sit play the keyboard.
I guess it sounds OK out there, but is't it better to put that stuff another place and keep good "face to face" contact to the audience?

Just wondering, because too often when see pics posted, the performer is hidden behind big books and all kind of stuff..... confused

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/09/14 11:21 AM

I agree, too much gear. That must be an important gig! I prefer to use an X stand and headless gear - so it is wide open. I memorize everything. Starting out again, I just use an iPad that hooks up to my x stand and totally out of site....
Posted by: DMAC

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/09/14 03:40 PM

Sounds great, your vocals and the PA900 were spot on. From what I've heard of the PA900 on demos on this site and others, it sounds great. A very versatile arranger and the Harmonizer cuts through the mix very nicely. All the best with your new keyboard. keys clap

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/09/14 04:15 PM

Thanks DMAC!
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 05:53 AM

Don,

I have to echo Donnie Mac's comments, especially regarding "He Stopped Loving Her Today", and add that your use of the harmonizer was spot on...just enough, and no more!

It's sometimes hard not to overuse it. Your settings were also what made it work so good.

Also, a very nice build-up with the arrangement as the song progressed. The key change was nice...is it in the original song?

The guitar emulation is great as usual, but I'm also impressed with the string/violin/vocal sound lines that's also supporting your vocal...is that you playing all those parts with your right hand, or is some of it in the style? It certainly works very well, and prevents the tune from becoming too repetitive.

All around, a nicely done tune.

Ian

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 08:09 AM

Thank you Ian! Yes the original had the transposition. The strings were put in with the right hand with an STS setting I made (OTS to Yamaha). It also added a WUUHH vocal pad to the left hand. There was also a guitar strum and a Pedal Steel riff added via Multipads.
In the past day or so, I have brightened up the high end on the keyboard e.q. just a little, to bring out a little more "pop" in the style parts. Still experimenting!
Posted by: Joesax

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 01:27 PM

Don:

Really nice performance and the overall sound was crystal clear. The Korg sound good too.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 03:31 PM

Zuki, how did you find the Pa3X keyboard feel relative to the Pa900?

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 04:34 PM

Graham

Still haven't picked it up. Will have tomorrow:)

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 06:26 PM

OK, thought I saw that you were getting it Saturday. Sorry, didn't mean to hassle.... smile

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 07:01 PM

No problem. Going to see Chris Botti Wednesday night, so will get it going Thursday night. What a great musical week smile

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 07:11 PM

I find the keys feel slightly shorter, not as heavy, very responsive. I can play faster on them with less stress on my old bones.
Probably most would prefer PA3x. I prefer PA900 key bed. They may be the same, but they certainly feel different to me.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/10/14 07:39 PM

I do too, Don, except when I play high up on the keys - you have to be very deliberate to make them sound.
Posted by: KORG80

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/11/14 12:14 PM

Graham, I read that I think,on the Korg Forum.

Don M. What do you think of my PA 600/900 quandry?

God Bless,
Don

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/11/14 01:16 PM

I forgot the question! smile Are you trying to decide between them?
Posted by: scameron

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/11/14 07:23 PM

Gents...thought i would add my 2 cents in regarding the quandry between the pa600 and 900...i have both...currently i use the 600 for gigs and have been using the 900 for my home studio...both are keepers...the feel of the keyboard on the 900 is better - having after touch does make a difference along with the 70 dnc sounds...if you were going to choose just one i would recommend the 900 for sure...stevec

stevec...mox8, pa900, pa600, psr 910, microarranger, casio wk7500
Posted by: KORG80

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/11/14 08:13 PM

Yes Don,

I just ran my new Digitech which fits nicely on my keyboards through its paces. it kind of works along the same lines as TC's Harmony M which I found to be extremely unreliable. I have two harmony voices to accompany my lead vocal and they are set up by pressing a button to go to High, Higher Low, Lower, Double etc. I can also do gender shifting. I am able to store five settings and it reads my keyboard chords perfectly. So I really don't need the 900 for my harmony needs unless it has some great settings that you wouldn't be without.

If the 900 can record mp3's directly to a USB drive that would be a feature well worth having that is lacking on the 600.
Many of the styles I used for my original songs when I had a Pa 800 rented for a month are on the 600 and that is a plus. I'm definitely trying to choose between them and mostly wondering if the 900 would be worth the extra $1000. I would have to start saving to acquire the extra thousand.

God Bless,
Don

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/11/14 09:52 PM

O.K. Yes, you can record MP3 directly to USB, sort of. You actually record the song and it prompts you to save it. You can save it to internal or to USB as you choose.
The vocal harmonizer works quite well, and although I liked the Harmony M and had no trouble with it (after update to new OS), the one in the Pa900 is better.
It's nothing earth-shattering, just a good solid harmonizer, easy to access and adjust. It's easy to customize. You can adjust just about any parameter you can think of including e.q. pan, choice of voices, gender, etc. WAY better than Yamaha's for sure.
There seems to be a lot more headroom to play with the mic input on the PA3X has.
I have not played or even seen a PA600 so can't help much there.
If Uncle Dave likes the harmonizer it must be pretty good!

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/11/14 09:58 PM

One other thought . . .
I loaded all my custom Songbook entries from the PA3X into PA900. Too bad they all called up the wrong styles, because the styles weren't in the same exact positions as on the 3x. And some of the styles weren't there at all.
I've spent the last four or five hours "fixing" them, as we say in the South.
It also couldn't find my text files because I updated my library, cleaned up, reorganized it, etc. So I had to resave all that too. About 100 of them.
While I was at it, I changed the Genre name of all my custom songbook entries to "Mine". Now, when I Filter by Genre, they all pop up in alphabetical order. That keeps me from having to sort them "by hand" in a custom list. I can still build custom lists easily enough without having to spend all that time moving the names around!!
You could just as easily use the same method by the Artist field.

Re: Don mason......KORG PA900 Review so far? - 02/12/14 05:01 AM

Don, fixing all that would have been so much faster if they had made Songbook Editor compatible! 6 months after launch and still no sign of it ....