The NUMA/Studiologic organ

Posted by: Mockie

The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/26/13 11:34 AM

I'm very keen on this organ,anyone here using this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXcjf7egvs
Posted by: Dnj

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/26/13 02:02 PM

enjoyable joey is so good man yeah!
Posted by: abacus

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/26/13 02:04 PM

It has the same quality as the Key B Organ http://www.musicworldonline.co.uk/keyborgan//instruments/Numa/default.html

Before making a decision also have a look at these:

Hammonds own http://www.hammondorgan.co.uk/store/page1/page1.html or the Nord Electro 4 http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Electro_4D

In addition if you have a computer or laptop you can buy the VB3 http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24 and control it from your existing keyboard. (Roland’s Midi implementation is normally quite reasonable)

BTW: I have heard the Key B Organ live, and for me personally I find it doesn’t quite have the bite that you get with a B, (its more smother like the A) but is a cracking instrument.

Hope this helps

Bill
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/26/13 02:20 PM

Sounds good but my only reservation is the company. I'd stick with one of the older more established manufacturers. Korg, Roland, Nord. Hammond. There are a few "clonewheel" units that sound quite good for Hammond sounds. I loved my Hammond XK3 but had to sell it for space reasons. I now have a Roland VR700 I may be selling soon because my BK9 is pretty good at covering the Hammond sounds plus a ton of other stuff.

Nothing like the B3's I gigged with years ago but who wants to move or maintain one of those anymore.

Funny how Joey has been a promoter for a few companies. Don't know why Hammond couldn't keep him on board.

BTW Bill I'm not knocking your opinion but an A and a B are the same organs, just different cabinets. Put them both thru a Leslie and they're identical. Best deal if you have to have a real Hammond is finding a nice home kept A100 or A105 and getting a leslie 145, 122, 147 to go with it.

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/26/13 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Funny how Joey has been a promoter for a few companies.

This Numa organ was designed with the help of Joey, infact his name/signature is on top at the control panel, as in Les Paul and Gibson guitars. To me it ticks all the boxes B3 wise.

Thanks Bill for you comments, I just want to get back to live playing, with bass pedals etc.

Frank

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/27/13 10:53 AM

Frank

I wouldn't get too excited about having Joey's name on it. Just means he's getting paid by this company and as I said he's been with a few. Not to say its not a good instrument, I'm just not familiar with it. As far as Bass Pedals a number of the "Clones" will allow the use of pedals and a second manuel so you can have a mini B.
I did it with my Roland PK5's hooked into my VK7, then the Hammond XK3, and now my Roland VR700.
Good luck with your new board.

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/27/13 01:27 PM

Thanks Bill for your mentoring.

Yes Bill, I suppose I am a bit excited, but it is amazing how

many manufacturers have nailed the Hammond/tonewheel sound so

faithfully. The only clones I'm looking/listening to right now

are the Numa and the Hammond SK1 ( 73 note). Apart from the

drawbars etc, the built in Leslies are something else.

I suppose you could say I'm at the dream stage at the moment,

but dreams do come true.

Thanks Bill

Frank

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/27/13 02:47 PM

Hi Bill

Yes, if you just listen to the Leslie (The only way to hear a B3) then the A100 sounds exactly the same for the reasons you mentioned, however if you use the on-board speakers of the A100 (Either with or without an external Leslie) then the sound becomes smother and loses the bite of a B3 with just the Leslie.

This is the reason I made the comment about the Key B (Numa) being like an A100 when used on its own. (As most purchases will use it)

Happy Playing

Bill

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/27/13 02:48 PM

Hi Frank

You may be interested about adding one of these; http://www.neo-instruments.de/de/ventilator/ventilator-features as those that have heard it, say that it unmatched by anything when simulating a Leslie 122.

Happy Playing

Bill
Posted by: cgiles

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/27/13 03:05 PM

Frank, I have the KeyB Duo Mk111. The Numa has the same sound engine as it's predecessors, the Mk1 and Mk11. The sound is very good but the quality is not quite up to the quality of the KeyB. If you're really interested, I suggest you go over to Keyboard Corners at this link.
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/18/1/The_Keyboard_Corner

You can get solid information from some actual owners over there.

chas

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/27/13 04:29 PM

Thanks Chas,

At this stage, lets say I'm just looking.

Basically, it's like being a kid in a toyshop.

Frank
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/27/13 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mockie
Thanks Chas,

At this stage, lets say I'm just looking.

Basically, it's like being a kid in a toyshop.

Frank

... and that's the best part of getting a new toy. smile
Posted by: Diki

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/28/13 01:34 PM

For possibly the best Hammond sim in an arranger, I can't recommend the BK-9 too highly. Seems a shame to blow a large wad of cash on a one trick pony (unless you HAVE a large wad of cash!). The BK-9's Hammond sim compares quite nicely with Nord's (which I've played) and most other sims. But throws in a great arranger for little more (or even less) than most dedicated clones.

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/28/13 02:07 PM

Diki, with all due respect, I wouldn't recommend an arranger keyboard to someone who was specifically in the market for a clonewheel. From his comments ("B3", "get back to live playing", "pedals", etc), I would say he was looking for the ORGAN experience, not a keyboard with some organ patches on it (no matter how good). I, for one, wouldn't give up my KeyB for 50 arrangers (or synths, or WS's). That's because I'm into ORGANS and it sounds like Frank is too, or at least wants to be. Besides, he already has a BK7m (as do I) AND a G70. Just can't see adding a BK9 to that lineup just to get a few organ patches (but definitely not the 'feel' of a dedicated organ). JMO, though. I guess if someone is asking for recommendations for a pickup truck, I'm not going to try to sell them a car with a big trunk.

chas
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/28/13 02:21 PM

My best playing experience with a clonewheel that was almost exactly like playing a B-3 is Hammond's XK-3c. I had a B-3 (with two Leslie 147RV) for quite a few years, and the response of the XK3c's keyboard and feel of the drawbars is just like playing the old "B". I felt right at home with the touch.

Of course, you may be looking for a dual manual organ to go along with the pedals...there is an optional lower keyboard. pedal board and appropriate stand with the XK3c, but it isn't cheap.

Nord's C2D is very nice, and it's response is very similar to the XK3c, with the latter having a slight edge, in my opinion, but the former has two manuals, and a very decent simulation of drawbars. Both on-board sims sound very good, although the Neo Ventilator effects unit appears to be the current sim champ.

Certainly, all this will depend on how much you want to spend, Frank.

Chas has pointed out some info on Keyboard Corner, and it is probably the best place for you to get opinions and reviews on other models.

Ian

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/28/13 02:46 PM

chas, with all due respect... OP shows a single manual keyboard. Not exactly a full B3 in form.

You don't get a 'few organ patches' with the BK-9. It's a TOTALLY different beast to the BK-7m. The organ section of the BK-9 is a FULL Hammond sim, complete with a choice of five different amp and Leslie models, a choice of 50's, 60's and 70's vib/cho characteristics, control over the percussion regeneration, basically everything you get with a FULL Hammond clone. You also get the full drawbar complement (don't get that with some of the clones!), and nice little details like control over the spread of the Leslie effect (hate having full L&R Leslie outputs go through a PA with speakers 20' apart!), mike position and closeness, etc., etc..

Nothing could be further from the BK-7m, when it comes to Hammond!

The thing is, given that the OP already is fine with arrangers, and isn't looking for a full 2 manual, full pedal organ, having it in a keyboard that throws in an arranger for free (say compared to the price of a KeyB Solo!), and has sufficient keys to be able to do a very playable range for upper AND lower manuals, it is a worthy contender.

After all, no-one is saying you HAVE to use the arranger stuff at all! In fact, plug in some MIDI pedals, use the drums ONLY from the arranger section, you have everything you need to be able to copy what you posted recently, all in the one piece of gear.

If the OP is willing to look at a single manual piece of kit, why not look at one that does EVERYTHING well?
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/28/13 02:54 PM

Dave Bryce declared, at the end of his review of the Hammond Xk-1c, that he fell in love with the instrument, to the point of buying one, that now sits atop his grand piano.

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/28/13 02:55 PM

Try these on for size...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVa6CgFEzVA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5egHiGEkgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOH9Ri6jNRs

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/28/13 04:00 PM

Diki, I don't presume to know what is best for someone else. Frank has been around arranger kb's as long as you and I, so I'm sure he's aware of the capabilities of most of the current crop of arranger kb's. He asked for information on a specific organ, NOT 'what alternatives to this keyboard are out there?'. I just don't feel comfortable presuming to know what's best for someone else. As far as I can tell, Frank is a mature, intelligent guy who has been around the proverbial keyboard block a few times and knows (better than any of us) what he is looking for, so when he asks for information on a single manual clonewheel, specifically the NUMA organ, I assume he's looking for information on a NUMA ORGAN. I tried to point him to a source that may have this information and not play 'Father Knows Best'. Still luv you though, man, and definitely not trying to get into a war of words with you. We all know that NOBODY has ever won that one smile smile .

chas

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/28/13 04:44 PM

I'm going to add my .02 on the BK9 . While having a dedicated Clone may be a good thing if you have the cash and space the BK9 can cover al those bases and more. Much more than just presets you have drawbars and more programmable functions than the B3 ever had and you can midi in a second keyboard or pedals.
I've had the clones I previously mentioned and they all do a good job. As Diki said you get that and the addition of a great arranger with the BK9. Thats why I'll be selling my last clone, the VR700. Great board, good feel, very good sound and leslie sim but I am at a premium for space in my studio.
I also agree that the best clone for look, feel, sound, touch, etc, is the Hammond XK3, all 44 lbs. of it ! Adding the lower manuel and pedalboard made for it is the ultimate setup. The XK3 has real tubes in the preamp section and nothing can warm up a sound like that. Put it through a good stereo setup and WOW.
If I had the space and $$$ I would have that over a real B, and I've had a bunch.

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/29/13 10:31 AM

Not trying to tell anyone what is BEST... just offering up alternatives, chas.

IMO, you already have what's BEST at a Hammond clone. The KeyB mkIII sounds incredible. But it is no more what the OP talked about than a BK-9. And a hell of a lot more expensive!

Basically, the Numa Organ costs about the same as a BK-9. So consider it (the BK-9) as a clonewheel sim keyboard, that throws in an amazing arranger FOR FREE!

Not too shabby...

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/29/13 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Diki

Basically, the Numa Organ costs about the same as a BK-9. So consider it (the BK-9) as a clonewheel sim keyboard, that throws in an amazing arranger FOR FREE!

Not too shabby...

The Numa Organ is £1100 whereas the BK9 is £1700, so you are not getting a free arranger add on with the BK9. (The price is similar to adding a BK7m)

Bill

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/29/13 11:41 AM

You aren't shopping around. I got my BK-9 for not much more than $2000, which is what a new Numa costs over here.

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/29/13 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: cgiles
From his comments ("B3", "get back to live playing", "pedals", etc), I would say he was looking for the ORGAN experience, not a keyboard with some organ patches on it (no matter how good).

chas

Chas, you hit the nail on the head. I do miss playing "for real"

and my fondest memories takes me back to early eighties

playing a Hammond X5 with small Italian rotary speaker and

pedals coming through a small bass amp. Right now I'm reeking

with nostalgia and I'd love to have an organ, pedals the lot.

I wont have to worry about a leslie speaker and probably wont

make any money playing jazz standards, whereever. But for me

music was not about money when fell in love with it 50+ years

ago.

I will continue playing arranger for gigs/money and it's

unlikely that I will upgrade to a Tyros 5 or the like.

Thanks all for the contributions..............now to get some

money for that organ, where's my arranger !!!!!!!!!!!

Frank

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/29/13 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Diki
You aren't shopping around. I got my BK-9 for not much more than $2000, which is what a new Numa costs over here.

Obviously the price in the US of the Numa is way way more than over here in Europe, and shopping around the price differences are not that great, even in the sales. (If the Numa is the price you say it is then it will probably be cheaper to buy in Europe and have it shipped over)

Bill

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/29/13 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mockie
Right now I'm reeking

with nostalgia and I'd love to have an organ, pedals the lot.

Frank

Frank, I know the feeling. Good luck with your search. The NUMA is a good combination of price, sound quality, organ ergonomics, and weight. The guys over at KC that have them seem quite happy with them.

chas

Re: The NUMA/Studiologic organ - 12/30/13 12:51 PM

Got to confess, if I want the full organ experience, nothing other than a double manual unit and pedals is going to suffice.

The minute you decide to go to a single manual sim, all bets are off. It's close to impossible to set up a second MIDI keyboard under the sim close enough to give the proper dual manual experience you get with any proper organ, a full set of pedals will cost more than the Numa itself, and a Leslie sim won't come CLOSE to making you think you are playing the real thing...

At this point, probably time to start being realistic!

Mockie has got the same gear as me (plus the MIDI accordion, I've only got two non-MIDI ones!), but none of it has Hammond stuff even close to the BK-9. The Hammond sim is possible the MOST improved section of the BK-9 over the G70. It's possible, if the G70's HB section were as good as the BK-9's, he wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

All I'm doing is trying to be practical. But it's no skin off my nose no matter WHAT Mockie ends up doing. I hope he enjoys whatever he gets.

He MIGHT also want to take a look at the KeyB Expander, and MIDI it to his G70 or MIDI Accordion... Mind you, I am reading quite a bit about distribution and production problems for them. I hope those are sorted out by now (or less over in Ireland).