With all due respect to Michael Franks

Posted by: tony mads usa

With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 08:34 AM

My version of The Lady Wants To Know ...

https://app.box.com/s/j7149uth9qmq12ko2ktb
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 08:52 AM

Tony, you have a lot of courage doing this song, but it was pretty darn good.

The musical background was spot on, and that song has a lot of twists and turns.

Did you play this using a style?

Franks has such a breathy voice...your voice is much stronger and heavier, so it will sound a bit different than the original for sure.

Ian
Posted by: Dnj

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 08:59 AM

clap headphone keys

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 09:00 AM

More guts than brains, I've been told ... dancers
It's the Cool Latin Jazz style on the Pa600, with my own STS voices such as the Soft Latin Sax that is in the 'Performance' section ......
... and yes, I'm not going to sound like ANY original ... grin
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 09:09 AM

Good one, never heard this one, Tony - loved the sax - really sounded great. Nice soft style file as well. Everything fit together nicely.

Gary cool
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

... and yes, I'm not going to sound like ANY original ... grin

And, that is a good thing, Tony, as you have put your own stamp on it.

That's why these instruments are called "arrangers".

Style was perfect, and so were the solos...great job overall.

Ian
Posted by: DonM

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 11:40 AM

Love the song Tony! Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: Bachus

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 01:31 PM

well played..

just a simple advice, dont try to record that loud next time... its a little overmodulating, which is a sad thing fro such a great performance..

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 03:48 PM

... thank you ... I actually added some volume after I recorded it because I thought it sounded low ... I guess I should have left it and let people adjust the speaker volume they were listening through ...
I absolutely appreciate the positive comments and any constructive criticism ... that's how we can get better at what we do ...
Posted by: Diki

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/23/13 05:03 PM

Always make sure there's a limiter at the end of the chain if bumping up the volume...

Thing is, most built-in audio recorders tend to default to a pretty good strength signal. If you need a bit more, try using the 'Normalize' function first, and see if that does the trick or not (it makes the maximum peak in the music go to 0db, no more), and only start trying to bump it if even that makes little difference. But you MUST put a limiter at the end of the chain, to make sure that levels don't go past 0db, which in the digital world is a no-no...
Posted by: big741.1

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/24/13 06:30 AM

Great job, Tony! clap

As a sax player I might have liked to hear some pitch bends going on if you can manage it. Sax players love to bend up to the note they're heading for. A minor issue that doesn't detract from your wonderful performance, however.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/24/13 09:23 AM

Dan ... thank you for that wonderful compliment ... I had thought about the 'bends' but I haven't quite got that where I want it yet ... I do a little better with guitar ... smile

thanks again
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/24/13 11:27 AM

First class material (Franks is a particular favorite of mine) by a "class act"!

r.

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/24/13 11:29 AM

... thanks Russ ... wink
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/25/13 12:53 AM

Nice job you did on that song, Tony. One question: After I listened to your demo, I listened to the Michael Franks rendition. I never heard this song before. Is it a popular tune? In pop music or "jazz?"

Come to think of it, I never heard Don's song before either (Mary Did You Know). I really have to listen more often to music stations on the radio instead of the talk shows!

One more thing....Dan is right. You could have used more "pitch bend" in the sax solo. Then again YOU'RE right too. No one in an audience would have noticed that....it's only very noticeable to another musician.

I, myself, didn't even think about the "bend" thing as I was too busy enjoying the "flow" of the song.

Mark

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/25/13 05:50 PM

Mark ... thank you for the kind words ...
I think I first heard the song on a local (now defunct mad ) jazz station and I bought the CD ... I guess you would categorize him as 'cool' or 'smooth' jazz ... he writes some very interesting 'offbeat' stuff ...

You might not find "Mary Did You Know" on too many radio stations ... wink ... Don turned Gary on to it and then I picked it up from Gary ... here is a link to my version which is different from Don's and Gary's ...

https://app.box.com/s/h1206y139pknkxm80t96
Posted by: sparky589

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/27/13 08:18 PM

Cool Latin Jazz eh? I'll have to try that on my 600. Nice movement in it. Sometimes I use a quick "flip" of a two note chord to emulate the bend of a sax instead of the bend lever- say just grazing or barely flicking the "E" note on my way to a full "G" note. It's not always easy to hit the bend lever when changing a chord with your left hand. Good job- again, let me know when you're heading south..
Posted by: montunoman

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/28/13 08:28 AM

That was a good one Tony. I haven't heard that tune in a long time. Both your voice and you're playing on the PA 600 sound great. Keep 'em coming!
Posted by: montunoman

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/28/13 08:29 AM

That was a good one Tony. I haven't heard that tune in a long time. Both your voice and you're playing on the PA 600 sound great. Keep 'em coming!

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/28/13 09:08 AM

Thank you very much Paul ... it is a song I enjoy performing ...
Posted by: Dnj

Re: With all due respect to Michael Franks - 12/28/13 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

You might not find "Mary Did You Know" on too many radio stations ... wink ... Don turned Gary on to it and then I picked it up from Gary ... here is a link to my version which is different from Don's and Gary's ...

https://app.box.com/s/h1206y139pknkxm80t96

clap headphone clap