This is what rabbis look like when they dance

Posted by: chony

This is what rabbis look like when they dance - 12/12/13 01:06 PM

Just did a show for a Yeshiva (Rabbinic seminary). Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm7vHQ4QJcg

Re: This is what rabbis look like when they dance - 12/12/13 01:10 PM

For those of you wondering, every time you hear a sax in that clip, you are listening to an Audio MultiPad. Yes, it is a Tyros4, and I've been using Audio MultiPads since the Tyros2... And they are much more accurate to use then the new Tyros5 Audio MultiPads.
Posted by: mirza

Re: This is what rabbis look like when they dance - 12/12/13 01:25 PM

Great stuff Chony.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: This is what rabbis look like when they dance - 12/12/13 07:13 PM

... they certainly looked like they were having a great time ...
this may be a stupid question, but where there any women at that wedding? ... confused1
Posted by: DannyUK

Re: This is what rabbis look like when they dance - 12/12/13 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
but where there any women at that wedding? ... confused1

Yes I noticed that too !
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: This is what rabbis look like when they dance - 12/12/13 07:46 PM

They were sure having lots of fun - kinda reminds me of the the last Bar Mitzvah I did near Washington, DC. When it was over, everyone was totally exhausted, the guy that owned the Russian Restaurant said it was the last time he would ever host one. Must have been 200 people there that afternoon. Haven't done one since, though.

Gary cool

Re: This is what rabbis look like when they dance - 12/12/13 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
... they certainly looked like they were having a great time ...
this may be a stupid question, but where there any women at that wedding? ... confused1

Yes, and if you think the men were having a great time, the women almost lifted the roof of the building.

The hall is split in two you can kind of see the "mechitza" (separation) in the video.

The reason is that in Orthodox circles a woman will not dance before a man who is not her husband. Men and women will not touch a person of the opposite sex who is not a spouse or close relative.

I could give a whole explanation of the reasons but not sure that religious discussion is welcome here. Suffice to say that although the separation is one of the most misunderstood customs of the Orthodox community and opens us to lots of (false) accusations of sexism, it happens to be a beautiful and meaningful thing, not to mention the resulting lack of infidelity, jealousy, divorce, etc., etc.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: This is what rabbis look like when they dance - 12/13/13 05:28 PM

chony ... thank you for that explanation ... we all have our beliefs, even those who do NOT believe ... as long as the people are happy, who can criticize? ...