I feel for you guys

Posted by: musicforyourday

I feel for you guys - 12/06/13 12:30 PM

Well I am belly aching about doing a show outside tonight 4 hours at maybe 40 degrees I guess we here in So Cal are soft when it come to Cold You guys back there I don't know how you do it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/06/13 12:37 PM

Hey, come on down here to Sunny Florida, it's 80+ degrees. You guys in cold climate be sure to put antifreeze in your keyboards. Lloyd
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/06/13 01:24 PM

I just read even Central Valley in California is hit by freezing temperatures, and citrus growers are implementing their anti-freeze measures (turbines, irrigation etc.)
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/california-citrus-growers-freeze-20131206
Posted by: Nigel

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 01:46 AM

Where in SoCal are you? I am in Ventura and it sure has been cold here.

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 03:32 AM

Riverside
Posted by: hammer

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 08:36 AM

Only 13 Degrees here now with a low of 6 last night just north of Dallas. High should be about 25. Many places have full ice coverage of 3 inches! Kids are having a ball while everyone else is shut in with driving not being much of an option. Power outages are a real danger - and sets up people for freezing house pipes even if they have a fireplace. Oh well, it's only for a few days.

Deane
Posted by: DonM

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 08:42 AM

We are only 150 miles from Dean, but only got a few flakes. Temp got down to 30!!!!. Froze my tail off getting gasoline about 1:00 a.m. Not good planning.
I'm sitting by the fireplace with a cup of coffee. Wife will make Gumbo to celebrate winter.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 08:56 AM

A very warm 2 C here on the island...that's 36 F for those with the old system.

Going to have to start wearing a winter jacket pretty soon.

Ian
Posted by: 124

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 09:09 AM

Ian, come on out to Alberta. Bring yer long johns! smile

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 09:12 AM

Nigel we will haft to connect sometime . Ron
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: 124

Mmmmm...I see Southern Alberta went down to -50C last night (-43 without the wind chill).

I'm bettin' you finally started wearing a jacket.

That is colder than a mother-in-law's kiss!

We always knew when my mother-in-law dropped by the house...the furnace kicked in, and the mice started throwing themselves in the traps.
Posted by: hammer

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 10:04 AM

The problem here in the Dallas area is Ice. Along with the fact the cities are not experienced nor prepared to clear roads and keep power lines safe. I just measured the ice layer in my front yard at 6 1/1 inches!! That folks is a lot of Ice in any area of the country. Low temps can be managed and dealt with and are generally not problem when they occur here. Heavy Icing or snow is entirely different. I am aware in other parts of the country how winter happens - but in general they are prepared to deal with it.

Deane
Posted by: 124

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: 124

Mmmmm...I see Southern Alberta went down to -50C last night (-43 without the wind chill).

I'm bettin' you finally started wearing a jacket.

That is colder than a mother-in-law's kiss!

We always knew when my mother-in-law dropped by the house...the furnace kicked in, and the mice started throwing themselves in the traps.

Yep, even my Huskies sleep facing south these nights.

Enjoy this from Neil Young, and switch it to full screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLvinrvQoos
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/07/13 11:56 PM

A few years ago I flew to Calgary, then rented a car and had a wonderful ride through the Rockies.
From many points of view it was one of the best holidays in my life and I sure am glad to have those memories.

Banff (lovely place, but never seen so many mosquitos...)

Lake Moraine (I still remember all the signs that warned about grizzly bears)
Posted by: Beemer

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Dreamer
A few years ago I flew to Calgary, then rented a car and had a wonderful ride through the Rockies.
From many points of view it was one of the best holidays in my life and I sure am glad to have those memories.

(Banff, lovely place, but never seen so many mosquitos...)

Lake Moraine (I still remember all the signs that warned about grizzly bears)

Our Banff (Scotland) mosquitoes are Highland Midges (Culicoides impunctatus) and they eat Bears smile

Ian

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 01:53 AM

Cr@p, the pictures have disappeared; anyway, the originals are here (just scroll to the middle of the page).

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Beemer

Our Banff (Scotland) mosquitoes are Highland Midges (Culicoides impunctatus) and they eat Bears smile

Ian

I believe you!

Posted by: brickboo

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 09:02 AM

We're still going below 0 at night and the highs are around 15 to 20 in the afternoon. I see the sun finally but with an inversion it stays cold.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 09:05 AM

Snowing on the Jersey Shore now ...Grrrrrrrrr!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 09:08 AM

About 2 inches of snow on the patio and coming down hard right now - sure glad the bar in the family room is fully stocked. Gonna be one of those days where nothing more than watching football is going to be accomplished - but that's OK. Some days are like that! wink

Go Ravens,

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 09:44 AM

I used to travel to Calgary a couple times a year when I had an actual real job working for Murphy Oil (Murco in Canada).
I loved it there and as Dreamer said, drove out into the country and took photos of everything.
Ian, mosquito is the state bird of Louisiana. You can actually ride one if you are brave enough.
Posted by: billyhank

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 09:50 AM

I had to turn on the A/C for two days because the temps got into the 80's with humidity in the 90's.

Bill G

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 09:55 AM

This is 30 min ago....Grrrrrr...

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 10:12 AM

WOW nice Donny here from my view so cal 50 degrees and we think it cold.

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
WOW nice Donny here from my view so cal 50 degrees and we think it cold.

Lions / Eagles game now YIKES!! surprised
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 11:34 AM

... pretty cool pic, Donny ... I am flipping between that and the Browns/Pats and rooting for Lions and Browns !!! ... grin ... and for NOW at least, both my teams lead at halftime ...

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 02:27 PM

At halftime of the Ravens game I went out and fired up the snow blower. That was just about 3 p.m.. From noon till 3 we got 12 inches of snow, which took the better part of three hours to clear from the driveway and sidewalk using an 8-HP 24-inch wide, self propelled snow blower. Damned I hate winter!

Gary cool

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 02:40 PM

I hope you recorded the game and watched the ending !!!

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
... pretty cool pic, Donny ... I am flipping between that and the Browns/Pats and rooting for Lions and Browns !!! ... grin ... and for NOW at least, both my teams lead at halftime ...

Too bad they had to play BOTH halves ... mad

Re: I feel for you guys - 12/08/13 03:57 PM

Just watched the highlights on NFL.com - incredible game.

Gary cool