Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip

Posted by: shueymusic

Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 04:40 AM

I had a solo gig instead of my normal duo gig with my wife. Here's a pic of the equipment cart. Only one trip from the van with... 2 speakers (RCF ART310a)... small bag for music and extra cables... small keyboard bag for my pocket trumpet/mixer/audio player/audio cables/power cables/pedal... keyboard (Yamaha Motif ES7)... double braced X stand with a microphone boom stand... music stand.

One trip... easy/quick set-up/quick tear down... one trip back to the van.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 07:39 AM

I've been using R&R R10/R8 carts since they came out for years....."don't leave home without one".....sometimes I see other acts "carrying gear" under their arms, no cases, no R&R and just shake my head and laugh..I would also suggest you move in the rear speaker and stand up the X stand and bungee it to the handle makes for less chance to have a slide off accident.
Keep a Bungee on-board just in case comes in very handy. wink

good luck with R&R a wise choice!!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:01 AM

One trip for me as well. The only difference is I modified the R-10 with a top rack that goes on in seconds. Also provides me with a great platform to work on during setups, by stacking all the assorted carrying bags inside the keyboard case, which has a plywood reinforced bottom.

The second tier I made is constructed from 2 one-inch diameter sections of box aluminum with slots cut in each end and fitted over the handles of the R&R. They're held in place with detent pins. Rock & Roller makes a top tier for their carts, but it's expensive, heavy and you must put the cart on it's side to attach it. Mine is less expensive, lightweight, takes up no room in the van and takes two seconds to attach.

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:04 AM

WTG Gary!! Ill try to take a pic of my R&R when I get to today's gig which should be interesting a "YIDDISH' Halloween party..lol......Keep on Rollin' On baby!!
Posted by: DonM

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:19 AM

I would take a picture of mine, but it's in the depths of the garage somewhere. I built the top rack as Gary suggested. Works great.
However I seldom use it. It only takes me a couple of trips using my rolling stool as a sort of a dolly or just carrying things. Everything is so light these days, except the cart; it may be the heaviest piece of gear I own.
All I have are two Bose Compacts, a keyboard bag and ultra-light aluminum tube stand that simply folds open or closed. Just about everywhere I play it's only a few steps from car to stage.
Mic boom is on the stand already. Cables are in the bags.
I do use the cart at Barksdale AFB and a couple of other venues where a longer carry is involved.
I can be playing within 10 minutes of arrival, although I allow at least 30 minutes just in case.
DonM

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:24 AM

Same here, Don - I always allow 30 minutes, just to be on the safe side.

Gary cool

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:47 AM

more then one trip is TOO MUCH I say!
Posted by: 124

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:56 AM

I bought this folding cart from Costco that does the job. It's a fair weight, but it's built like a battleship and takes all our gear except my keyboard, which is in its own wheeled case. My Pa1xPro in it's case would be too long for the cart, anyway. Amen to the bungee cords.
http://t.costco.ca/2-in-1-Steel-Hand-Truck.product.100082893.html

So it's one trip for the two of us.

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 09:04 AM

Originally Posted By: 124
I bought this folding cart from Costco that does the job. It's a fair weight, but it's built like a battleship and takes all our gear except my keyboard, which is in its own wheeled case. My Pa1xPro in it's case would be too long for the cart, anyway. Amen to the bungee cords.
http://t.costco.ca/2-in-1-Steel-Hand-Truck.product.100082893.html

So it's one trip for the two of us.

Yikes that thing looks like it weighs a ton & its big to transport for sure.. surprised surprised the R&R models are made for musicians gigging I've found nothing to compare. cool2 btw why would you pax pro be too long for the R10? confused1

http://rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com/
Posted by: 124

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 09:16 AM

In its wheeled Gator case, the length is 59" - it might have fit on the biggest cart they make, but it's on wheels already, so . . .

Yep, it's no lightweight, but all our gear goes in the back of our trusty ol' 1997 Jimmy.

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 01:02 PM

Oh baby one trip in & out ....I always travel light.....
and when it's a bigger gig I add a second powered speaker underneath, 2 stands on top no problem for the R&R! cool2

"Don't Leave Home With Out It" wink
Posted by: musicforyourday

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 03:20 PM

Rock n roller cart L10 best thing I have baught in a long time I stand behind this cart all the way.
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 06:13 PM

I'm still using the old red and gray R&R cart ...
Ciao,
Jerry
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 06:24 PM

I have seen Gary D. use his. It is slick and easy.

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 06:24 PM

Jerry I have a R10 red one also.....

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 07:18 PM

Great pictures of your "roll in one trip" pictures. I used to carry so much stuff... not anymore. If I'm only getting paid $125 for a 45 minute show/program, the quicker in and out of the gig the better!!

Dnj... thanks for the keyboard stand option to bungee in the upright position. The Motif ES7 takes the majority of the space... BUT if I upgrade to a Roland BK-9, I'll save space and weight. I can still use my tracks from the Motif as WAV files on the BK-9.

I use the Ultimate Support IQ-2000 as my keyboard stand of choice. It has the memory lock just like the IQ-3000 that you have pictured. About 5 years ago, I added the On-Stage KSA7575 to my IQ-2000 to eliminate carrying a mic boom stand. Works like a champ.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B...CFc6j4AodlAEAbA

I had my reservations because of the possibility of transferring the "Boom-Boom" effect through the mic when attached to the stand. I do a low cut on the EQ on my mixer and I haven't had any issues.

Best $15 bucks I spent to save time and carrying an extra boom stand. I pack a plug in headset mic (Roland DR-HS5) as my back up... no boom needed.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/989
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 07:43 PM

Shuey, For a 45 minute to one hour shows, I most times use tracks (midi files/Midjay Plus) so I am able to use a strap on - Yamaha KX5 or midi accordion ... no need for stands and much easier to transport ...
Ciao,
Jerry

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 07:59 PM

Jerry T...

I'm primarily a singer... then programmer... then a chord player. The smallest I can get is this...

Shure Beta 58a
XLR cable
Sonar VS-100 to use as a track player and a mixer
TRS 1/4" to XLR cable
Powered speaker (RCF-310a)
Extension cable with 2 plugs

Then it's 2 hands to carry stuff in and 5 minutes to set up. No keyboard, just my voice.

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:30 PM

Jerry, you've seen my setup, and like Johnathan I'm primarily a singer/player, I rarely use midi files, and only use MP3s for breaks, if and when I take them.

What is on my cart is what I use for 99 percent of my jobs, but there are times when there is an additional Bose L1 Compact on the bottom. Even with that load I still have some room to spare. The R-10 extends to 52 inches, which is usually more than enough for most arranger keyboards of 76-keys or less. Of course, if you have an unusually long case, then all bets are off.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:32 PM

if you are looking for A BK 9 I am going to sell Mine if you are interested send me a private message .

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/30/13 08:58 PM

Just looked up the R-14 - it goes to 60 inches, so it will fit your PA1-Pro. However, it sells for $299, which is a bit pricey.

Gary

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/31/13 02:54 AM

If you have a long case don't own open the rear handle....

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/31/13 05:37 AM

Good point Donny.

Re: Rock N Roller Gig - One Trip - 10/31/13 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
Good point Donny.

Thats the beauty of the R&R it has so many positions to customize it for any load..