OT Rockabilly!! Love it.

Posted by: DonM

OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/29/13 11:59 PM

Carl Perkins shares the stage with Stray Cats, Ringo, Paul, Eric, and more!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1HZ-Uq70I
DonM
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 09:28 AM

Gotta LOVE it ... guitar ... amazing how Carl has more hair than when he was 20 years old ... bounce

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 09:45 AM

It was made in 1987. We all had more hair then!
DonM
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 11:08 AM

COOL! Carl could really play! Rockabilly is just PLAIN FUN to play!

Don's friend Burton is a king on historic guitar styles.

R.

Carl had a contract with Peavy to play those little guitars. the sucked big-time, but he could get them to talk.

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: DonM
It was made in 1987. We all had more hair then!
DonM

... no I didn't ... frown laugh2
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 11:52 AM

Me, either!

Russ
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 01:13 PM

guitar keys guitar

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
Carl Perkins shares the stage with Stray Cats, Ringo, Paul, Eric, and more!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1HZ-Uq70I
DonM

Don, have you ever seen the show "Million Dollar Quartet"

It's a really fun show, and the four lead characters all do there own singing and playing ...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 07:14 PM

What I always loved about Carl Perkins was his style and Chuck Berry's were nearly identical with many songs. They seemed to have a lot in common and I loved his stage presence.

Gary cool
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 10:52 PM

Don.....Carl Perkins......he's the "man!"

Would you believe I walked into a library last week, glanced at the CD's, and staring me right in the face was 4....count them.....FOUR of his albums. Of course I grabbed them, took them home and they went right to my hard drive.

More interesting....I was listening to one of the songs just now as I opened this message up!

Another episode out of the Twilight Zone!

By the way......weren't you one of the original members of the "Million Dollar Quartet" along with Roy and Jerry Lee?

Mark

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/30/13 11:05 PM

Oh yes, I've watched the Quartet several times. Great stuff.
As far as being a member, it has taken me 60 years to approach duplicating a small portion of the stuff they invented back then!
It's amazing what you can do with three chords!
Back to Carl Perkins, a lot of people don't know that his brother Luther was Johnny Cash's lead guitarist, famous for his simplicity and originality. Carl performed with them a lot, generally taking a back seat to big John.
DonM
Posted by: Nigel

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/31/13 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark79100

Would you believe I walked into a library last week, glanced at the CD's, and staring me right in the face was 4....count them.....FOUR of his albums. Of course I grabbed them, took them home and they went right to my hard drive.

Mark

I guess Carl won't be getting any money for those tracks. You do know you could have just bought them. I doubt the library intends their CDs to be ripped.

Although I know many people have done that at some time I just don't think I would be announcing it on a forum of working musicians without expecting some sort of negative response. Personally I always like to own the original recording with the album cover and side notes. It rewards my favorite artists for music they have made that I love and encourages them to keep recording and providing me with future musical pleasure.
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/31/13 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Nigel

Mark

I guess Carl won't be getting any money for those tracks. You do know you could have just bought them. I doubt the library intends their CDs to be ripped.

Nigel......I think you misread that, but understandable. I didn't elaborate.

The CD's were old and hard to record past around track 9-10. The reason they "went to my hard drive" was because the library was not in my district and I only had 3 days before I had to return them. Hence, my remark:

I was listening to one of the songs just now as I opened this message up!"

By putting them on my hard drive, I could listen to all the tracks at my leisure and buy the best CD. Unfortunately, now that I'm not working, I really can't afford all 4 CD's, even though Mr. Perkins is one of my favorites.

P.S. I already have over 2,000 CD's that I used in my disc jockey days, all paid for through the BMG music club at their discount prices.

So trust me, I'm sure BMG made sure everyone got their royalties!

I'll be careful how I "word" things in the future. I don't want to go to jail at my age....102.

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/31/13 08:55 PM

Shoot, Carl can't make any money off them anyway. You don't need money in Rock n Roll Heaven!
DonM
Posted by: Nigel

Re: OT Rockabilly!! Love it. - 10/31/13 11:15 PM

I'll be careful how I "word" things in the future. I don't want to go to jail at my age....102.

OK, but you can see why it read badly at face value.