BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo

Posted by: Diki

BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/18/13 09:14 PM

Here's a jam over a couple of chords being played by the Chord Sequencer. It is intended to show of a few of the clever tricks the SuperNatural Guitars do to regular playing. It's figuring out when I'm playing single lines and when I'm chording, it's figuring out when I play a half step hammer up or down from a whole step one, then the rest is fun with the bender.

I'm pretty impressed with the SN guitars (I'll do a jazz one next, maybe). It offers a lot of expression, and pretty much always stays under your control... I rarely get the feeling it is fighting me.

FANTASTIC, ROLAND!

Kudos! Job well done!

http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=2018.new#new

Sorry for it not being a full on song, I just wanted an easy jam to investigate how it interpreted what I played. I say, it did a scary, scary job!
Posted by: musicforyourday

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/18/13 09:58 PM

Nice diki cool groove. This is gonna be fun with our bk 9s. I got 5 shows in the next 4 days so I not going to have much break in time but it will be in the fold soon.

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/18/13 10:06 PM

I'm lucky in that I'm doing a live band temp job for a few months, 6 days a week, so I've got a lot of time to figure the BK-9 out and try to get a decent workflow and figure out the gotchas before I go out solo on it.

Not to mention, the G70 is already set up to go if I get a call and have time for it, but the BK-9 ain't ready for primetime.

In truth, I'm seriously considering revamping everything, and trying the loop thing and more arranger play than before, more instrumentals, a bit less singing and more trying to wow them with the BK. The Chord Sequencer has rekindled my love of arranger mode.

I think it's going to be a fun year!

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/18/13 10:17 PM

Here it is on soundcloud... https://soundcloud.com/destinkeysuser688180390/bk-9-sn-acguit-jam

Sorry about the Roland-Arranger.com link. I think you have to be a member at the Roland-Arranger forum to download it... (it's free to join, though!)
Posted by: MattyB

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/18/13 10:57 PM

Wow that was cool Diki! Totally digging that mate!
Posted by: DAN.2000

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 01:30 AM

Amazing Diki
Posted by: abacus

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 02:12 AM

Well Diki

You should definitely work for Roland, as that is the best demo of the BK9 that has been posted anywhere.

Look forward to more.

Bill

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 02:31 AM

Very kind of you, Bill, but I disagree! (surprise!)

This thread has links to some stuff I consider quite exceptional...

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/366590/New_Amazing_Demo_Roland_BK_9#Post366590 (there's another 5 further down)

I know at the time the thread went up you didn't seem too impressed, but some of them impress me bigtime!
Posted by: montunoman

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 03:41 AM

Great stuff! Keep 'em coming please!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 04:59 AM

Nice demo.........would of loved to hear more lead sounds besides guitar.also....thanx for sharing....keep them coming.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 05:15 AM

Nice !!! give us more, especially some organ. This may become my go-to keyboard for everything.

Keep em coming.
Posted by: DonM

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 08:30 AM

Great sound! Thanks,
DonM
Posted by: 124

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 08:41 AM

Sounds a very capable board - in the right hands, of course. I may have to see if I can find one to have a go at round here. Thanks, Diki.

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/19/13 09:35 AM

I'll post more as I get to them. Sorry I have so little time, but I'm back in a pretty heavy gig schedule after a couple of light years, and the Florida weather is tuckering me out!

I think one of the few things I did to this Performance (it was in the Music Assistant list somewhere... forgot which one!) is simply back off on the Style/Song Master compressor a hair. Most of what I'm hearing on the internet from the BK-9 sounds a bit 'pumped', whether by the BK or by the site they upload to (or they do it in post!). The BK's styles have some pretty good dynamics and clarity if you don't screw it up!

I didn't use my usual technique of recording in MIDI first, then going to audio. Wanted to try it warts and all with no editing, so please be aware, that's a straight live 'capture'. You can do this yourself, no editing tricks!

On the whole, I think the SuperNatural guitars are the standout sounds from the whole SuperNatural section. I am nowhere near as impressed with the horns and winds, but I think the basic concept is OK. There are times with the SA2 stuff, I feel it is getting in the way of the player. A lot of 'tricks' happen whether you want them or not. The SN guitars are scary in that they seem to perfectly divine my intent, and introduce the tricks ONLY when I ask for them. That's all anyone needs from technology...

We should still be in control, not the machine!
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/20/13 10:05 AM

Sounds great! Like a real acoustic. Great playing too.
Posted by: zuki

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/20/13 12:08 PM

Very cool smile So, are you playing electric piano and guitar over a 2 chord built-in style that just loops?
Posted by: DAN.2000

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/20/13 01:27 PM

what are the 2 chords? smile

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/21/13 09:11 AM

I'm only playing the guitar. The piano is part of the style.

I can't remember exactly what I played, but it sounds a bit like an open E(add9) and a D... So, a 2 bar loop, hit play on the CS, then solo just on the guitar.

The fun part is deciding where you want to bend the notes, and where you want to hammer-on/off, where you want lines, where chords.

BTW, there's a parameter you can adjust with a slider that alters the speed of the strum when you play chords, so you can adjust this in realtime to account for either slow passages or quick stuff. There are also buttons that can move from plectrum picking to fingerpicking, and another that switches the sound to harmonics. A lot of expressive possibilities all in one patch!

You don't get the random fret squeaks like the SA2 Yamaha stuff does, but I never really got that under my command. I could never figure out how to ensure I hear it when I want it, and not when I don't. It would be nice to have on the Roland, but only if they figure out how to keep it under our control...
Posted by: Mockie

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/23/13 09:19 AM

Very nice Diki, nice to hear your BK9 "talking" at last. clap

Please Sir.....can I have some more?

Frank
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: BK-9 SN AcGuitar demo - 06/26/13 03:52 AM

I am a little late to the party on this one . Sorry for the oversight Diki . Excellent job ! The bk9 and your playing sounds excellent . Great job . I can see this unit selling well