OT- Name that tune

Posted by: sparky589

OT- Name that tune - 04/06/13 10:02 AM

and some of the performers, and the performers the covered from..

HINT- The Texas and Louisiana guys should get this first...
Posted by: DonM

Re: OT- Name that tune - 04/06/13 03:10 PM

Maybe Asleep At The Wheel? Sounds like Willie playing guitar though.
DonM

Re: OT- Name that tune - 04/06/13 05:35 PM

Ding ding! Willie is on the guitar- Johnny Gimble on fiddle, and Freddie Powers playing the lute. The title is??
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: OT- Name that tune - 04/06/13 08:02 PM

Wow... I amazed myself... I actually thought that sounded like Willie on guitar... Would not have known the others however...
guitar
Posted by: DonM

Re: OT- Name that tune - 04/06/13 10:16 PM

I think it's from an old Willie appearance on Austin City Limits called Swingin' Over The Rainbow.
DonM
Posted by: S4Y

Re: OT- Name that tune - 04/07/13 04:17 AM

When you play the MP3 it mentions Willie Nelson, Somewhere over the Rainbow and track 10, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
Nice song smile

Re: OT- Name that tune - 04/07/13 08:02 AM

Yeah, I changed the name back to keep my files accurate. It is "Tinkle Twinkle Little Star" from the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" album by Willie Nelson circa 1985; a great Texas swing- type selection as are others on that album along with some ballads. It was made popular by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys way back when....

Johnny Gimble played fiddle on many of Willie's songs and can be recognized by his style and tone in particular. This was the first I had heard of Freddie Powers.

Re: OT- Name that tune - 04/07/13 08:42 AM

And for you guitar guys (like me) , Willies used Grady Martin on a Les Paul for many songs- he does a soulful solo on Willie's cover of Kris Kristofferson's "Help me Make it Through the Night":