Posted by: jamman

TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/15/13 01:27 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHjk2xovheg

Posted by: leezone

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/15/13 11:33 AM

this guy should stack the keyboards next time lol
Posted by: Diki

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/15/13 01:03 PM

And maybe try a sustain pedal when he plays piano!
Posted by: Bachus

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/16/13 05:16 AM

I dont get most of those comments on youtube... people declaring one or the other a winner.

Isnīt it obvious that you canīt compare both, Korg sounds are much cleaner while Yamaha sounds come standard with a little effect and reverb, making them sound better. But then with some effort and use of the effects section this can also be done on the Korg.

Both instruments sound good... Yamaha is better for people that just want to select sounds and play them, tough the more creative musician might enjoy Korg more.

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/16/13 10:33 AM

Personally, judging an arranger a 'winner' based on just a few lead sounds is shallow in the extreme. I guarantee, for every good sound in one arranger, there are bad ones too. The only way you can judge something a 'winner' is to listen to the whole thing. That bass sound that sounded tubby when soloed might fit the mix perfectly. That nice, full and fat sax sound might swamp the mix unless EQ'd.

Then, everyone looks for something different in an arranger. I might want to be convinced I am sitting next to a real drummer. Someone else might want to think he is listening to a CD. Someone might want a thousand swing styles. Someone might only want three, but want a thousand disco styles. Weight might matter to one, and not another.

There ARE no winners and losers. Just arrangers that fit what WE want an arranger to do, or not...
Posted by: zuki

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/16/13 10:49 AM

Either instrument, played by a professional sound amazing!
Posted by: abacus

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/16/13 11:00 AM

Played being the operative word (And not relying on the Knocker Box (Audio or Midi)

Bill

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/16/13 11:40 AM

So... how's the Wersi working out? Must be frustrating to not use any of the arranger section!
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/17/13 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: zuki

That's a fact who need certain modifications.
In fact I've heard and seen that an amateur "home player" done it far better than a so called "professional".
Guess it's not always about who does it, but how it's done. laugh

Posted by: zuki

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/17/13 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Gunnar Jonny
Originally Posted By: zuki

That's a fact who need certain modifications.
In fact I've heard and seen that an amateur "home player" done it far better than a so called "professional".
Guess it's not always about who does it, but how it's done. laugh

Yes, that's what I meant smile

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/17/13 08:19 AM

Getting paid to perform is no indicator of skill..!
Posted by: vagro

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/17/13 08:29 AM

I don't know why but I still prefer the Yamaha nylon guitar, sax and piano in my psr s900, however when I compare the sounds one on one with the real instrument in a mp3 song (ie a jazz band), the Pa3x sounds are truly more realistic, thicker and have more posibilities to articulate them (joystic, ribbon). I still wonder how Yamaha handles those effects to make me prefer lower quality samples so much.

Re: TYROS 4 vs PA3X - 02/17/13 08:48 AM

Sampling has always been more an art than a science. Bitrate doesn't make up for poor samples in the first place. Yamaha actually make real saxes, pianos and guitars. Perhaps that's what gives them the edge? People in house to go 'that's not quite right, do it again' because they KNOW what the instrument should sound like...

Yamaha, to give them credit, have always done a superb job of pre-EQ'ing their samples so they all blend together pretty well. While Korg tend to go for a sound that is full, and it's up to YOU to EQ it to match whatever style you are using. A bit more flexibility, a bit more work.

And also, let's give Yamaha the kudos for being the first hardware arranger (actually, I think the first hardware keyboard of any kind) to do legato and staccato articulations, and conditional sample switching (slides when you play over a certain interval, for instance), all of which were VSTi only features up until the Tyros line.

I'm afraid that, although Korg have jumped onboard with their DNC capabilities, they still haven't quite got the sound set and samples to leverage it as well as Yamaha have. But that's just a matter of time...

BTW, huge kudos to Korg for the ribbon... There is some stuff (trills, hammer-on/offs, fingered vibrato etc.) that cannot be done with a wheel or lever. Wish more arrangers had those!