Who is Gigging Valentines Day?

Posted by: Dnj

Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 04:48 AM

I have a triple gig on Thursday Valentines Day.......
it's one of my favorites break out the love songs, "Funny Valentine", "Me & Mrs Jones", yea!!!!....
2 NH shows,& in the evening open my ballroom dance club, how about you, hope your gig book is filled up!?

Posted by: montunoman

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 05:19 AM

Just one gig for me on the 14th at my favorite NH. The 15th I'll be DJing ( did I just say that? ) at my daughters elementary school's VD dance. The 16th I'll be doing a quartet gig (keyboards, vibes/percussion/sax/flute, and singer) for an hour long cocktail party. And finally Sunday the 17th I'll be taking my wife and daughter to see the Dallas Symphony perform with guitarist Manuel Barrueco . It should be a fun/busy weekend.

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 12:53 PM

hey Paul WTG!! sounds like you have a full week of having a good time...love that your mixing it up also....what ever it takes baby!! good luck out there give em hell!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 02:36 PM

I just ordered a dozen Shari's Berries for the gals that work here at the marina. If I were back in Maryland, I would probably be doing at least a double and maybe a triple - but alas I'm down in Paradise. smile

Good Luck,

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 02:54 PM

You better send TWO dozen to Maryland. I heard your house is listed for sale, and your room is rented out.
I'm playing at Palmetto Country Club for Valentine's Dinner.
DonM
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 03:13 PM

Donny ... "Me and Mrs Jones" ... SERIOUSLY???? That's not a love song - it's an ANTI love song about lust and betrayal! I sing it as often as I can, but I'd never call it a love song. Geeze .... You'll piss off a lot of couples with that one.
smile
Posted by: Songman55

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 04:20 PM

On Monday I have an upscale assited living job. On Tuesday, I have a NH in the afternoon and a Mardi Gras party at night. On Wednesday I have an adult daycare gig. On Thursday I have an afternoon upscale assited living job and at night I have a dinner date with my lovely wife. On Friday I have another adult daycare gig. On the weekend, I prop my feet up.

Love is in the air,

Joe
Posted by: Songman55

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 04:24 PM

Sometime over the weekend we'll go visit our grandson. That's the best part of the whole week.

Joe

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 04:26 PM

Dave...depends how you look at it......its definitely a love song for people who made mistakes in their love life and have no other way to be truly together but in secret....very naughty and very sexy...!

Happy Valentine's......
Posted by: hammer

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 05:11 PM

Well, I have 2 NH gigs plus it is my daughter's birthday. A full day.

Deane

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 05:12 PM

I sent her berries and flowers for Christmas - For Valentin's Day I'm sending her a massage. With luck, she'll run off with the massage guy. wink

Gary cool
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/05/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Donny ... "Me and Mrs Jones" ... SERIOUSLY???? That's not a love song - it's an ANTI love song about lust and betrayal! I sing it as often as I can, but I'd never call it a love song. Geeze .... You'll piss off a lot of couples with that one.
smile

... well, it's a love song for the guy and Mrs. Jones!!! rolleyes ..
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 02:18 AM

Got a real break from normal life on Valentine's day, am taking a vacation day from the day job, that means no 110 mile round trip commute in metro Boston/I95 traffic.....but better still I'm playing 2 NH gigs one in the morning, then one in the afternoon......and still home in time to celebrate the day with my wife.

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
smile

See Dave?...Tony understands what I'm sayin'..

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
that means no 110 mile round trip commute in metro Boston/I95 traffic.....

computer
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 05:32 AM

smile

You're confusing Love and lust. It's a great song, and I'm certainly no choir boy, but let's be real folks .... that's not love.

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 05:47 AM

There's nothing wrong with Lust...;)

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

computer

You hit the nail on the head!! no pun intended! laugh

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 07:28 AM

smile

You're confusing Love and lust. It's a great song, and I'm certainly no choir boy, but let's be real folks .... that's not love.

... but they MAY be in LOVE with each other ... are love and lust mutually exclusive??? confused1

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 07:31 AM

Hopefully retirement from the day job is not too far off, Steve ...

When the company I worked for relocated to RI, the first thing I did NOT miss was the minimum 1 hour and 15 minute commute into Manhattan ...

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 07:46 AM

And, that's why I love my job as a musician/entertainer. Down here in Paradise I unload the gear from the boat to the R&R Cart, then push it 100 feet down the dock to the Tiki Hut and set up. Today, I'm doing a happy hour at Sombrero Resort, so a friend from Maryland that lives here during winter is going to pick me up with his pickup truck and transport me to the resort, a distance of about 2 miles by land, but just across the harbor by boat. The two miles may take up to 10 minutes to commute to the resort.

When I'm at home in Maryland, it's rare when I drive more than 10 minutes to the jobs. There are at least three more retirement communities being built within 5 miles of home, and another two that are being expanded. This translates into more and more playing opportunities at higher pay scales than we could have ever dreamed of in the nite-club/restaurant/bar circuit. Ya gotta love it!

Gary cool

PS: Steve, get the Hell off that interstate before it kills you. wink

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 07:48 AM

Hopefully retirement from the day job is not too far off, Steve ...

When the company I worked for relocated to RI, the first thing I did NOT miss was the minimum 1 hour and 15 minute commute into Manhattan ...

T, December 31, 2013 is the target date at least from the full time gig. The frim wants me to stay on a consultant basis. Not sure I want to maintain the ties with the headaches that could go along with that arrangement. Time will tell. Yea that had to be a horror commuting to Manhattan versus the nice drive from EG to Johnston.

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
And, that's why I love my job as a musician/entertainer. Down here in Paradise I unload the gear from the boat to the R&R Cart, then push it 100 feet down the dock to the Tiki Hut and set up. Today, I'm doing a happy hour at Sombrero Resort, so a friend from Maryland that lives here during winter is going to pick me up with his pickup truck and transport me to the resort, a distance of about 2 miles by land, but just across the harbor by boat. The two miles may take up to 10 minutes to commute to the resort.

When I'm at home in Maryland, it's rare when I drive more than 10 minutes to the jobs. There are at least three more retirement communities being built within 5 miles of home, and another two that are being expanded. This translates into more and more playing opportunities at higher pay scales than we could have ever dreamed of in the nite-club/restaurant/bar circuit. Ya gotta love it!

Gary cool

Gary the dream will be over soon and you'll be back on the high seas to reality again back in MD!....take videos of paradise now so you can enjoy them next winter when it's snowing here, .. surprised cool2

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 08:24 AM

And, that's why I love my job as a musician/entertainer.
Gary cool

Getting close Gary! bounce

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 08:35 AM

And, that's why I love my job as a musician/entertainer.
Gary cool

Getting close Gary! bounce

"DITTO" clap
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/06/13 12:44 PM

Paul, I LOVE to play vibes and do it gladly for sideman dough whenever I can. I'm now the only one who is playing club dates with vibes.

Lovely sound....great to play.

Russ

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 06:02 AM

http://www.whitecastle.com/promotions/2013valentinesday
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 08:02 AM

Haha, I'm with Uncle Dave, I would not consider Me And Mrs. Jones a Valentines Day song by any stretch! I like the song and actually began working on it to play at gigs but a love song, it ain't. Seems to be there are a bazzillion other songs one could play that do not portray betrayal.

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 09:25 AM

hmmm ... many guys would be considered a 'prince' if they took their loved one to a 'castle' for dinner ... but to WHITE CASTLE ????? ... I think not ... grin wave

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 10:01 AM

Was my first date......long story..lol

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 10:43 AM

Was my first date......long story..lol

Did you have a SECOND one??? rotfl

I thought the 'castle' was only for 3 AM stops after partying too much ... party ... "YEAH, hic ... I'll take a sack, fries, and a large coke ... hic ... " drink ...

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 10:55 AM

Second date cost me $350.00 !!!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 11:07 AM

Just finished a luncheon "gig" for a horse farm owner (lots of bucks...20 people were there).

Will do a dinner hour at a country club (I'm the "house guy"); then move to the lounge to finish the night.

Annie will meet me at a all-night place near campus...greasy spoon, but better than nothing.

She's been putting up with this stuff for going on 48 years.

Russ

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 01:01 PM

Was that the cost of the wedding??? party rotfl

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

She's been putting up with this stuff for going on 48 years.
Russ

... and for Lydia it will be 50 in November ... how/why do they do it??? ... are we THAT SPECIAL ??? ... NOT !!! woot

(speaking for myself, of course grin )

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 01:42 PM

Was that the cost of the wedding??? party rotfl

Nope just champagne and dinner for two.
Posted by: Diki

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 01:52 PM

White Castle serves champagne? drink

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/14/13 03:38 PM

I love white castle......hamburger & a fish sandwich......"Surf & Turf "....oh yea!

$1.79. wink

Re: Who is Gigging Valentines Day? - 02/16/13 06:43 AM

Two more VD gigs to go today, ...whew!
btw,.. I'm happy to report the S950 has been doing a standup job on stage day after day.....yes it sounds very good, yes it needed to be tamed a bit, but most of that was EQ'ing and Style exchanges from previous model styles.Audio drums/styles I can take em or leave em no biggie there, I only use a few if at all Cool Jazz is one of them VAR2..but without the ability to save them to USB, or edit them, what's the sense?
Otherwise I'm enjoying the S950 for now........

Next get ready for St. Pattys day!