Convert Midi List To Text List

Posted by: Bernie9

Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/29/13 11:33 AM

I have a back up of my Midies on my pc. I want to copy the titles to a text playlist without manually typing it.

Obviously, if I try and copy the list, it will copy the title and the Midi itself.

Bernie
Posted by: Diki

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/29/13 01:32 PM

If all else fails, how about a screen capture? (I'm a Mac guy, so can't really advise about a program for PC).
Posted by: miden

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/29/13 02:06 PM

I use the one available here http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/ (third one on the list on the left) it is free, basic but prints a text file of any directory...

Dennis

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/29/13 02:09 PM

Thanks Diki

It wouldn't be editable, but, like you say, it is worth a try as a last resort.

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/29/13 02:55 PM

Thanks Dennis
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/29/13 04:36 PM

It's a lot of keystrokes, but you can highlight the midi FILE name, and "right click" as if you were changing the name - copy and paste to the new location.

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/30/13 03:27 AM

Thanks UD

I ended up downloading a free screen capture, printed the JPEG captures, reduced them on my printer, and re-scanned to the PC.

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/30/13 09:14 AM

wow, what a convoluted process!! for such a simple task..oh well if you are happy with it...that's all that matters. Did you actually TRY that little app Bernie?

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/30/13 09:23 AM

Doesn't the computer OS have a built-in screen capture? Why the need for an app?

Betcha there's a keyboard shortcut that does whole or partial screen capture, and a variety of file-type outputs. My Mac does!

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/30/13 09:40 AM

The one I suggested does not even install Diki, double click the program, select your folder, select what you want to print (from 4 radio buttons) and click okay..

Instant text file in list format...But Bernie obviously wanted more than just a text file - although that was the original request wink

Windows has a built in app called Snipping Tool which does the same job as any screen capture program and allows the saving in jpeg gif and png formats. If one then uses a free PDF printer this can then be "printed" to a PDF if one desires. I use PDF Creator.

Dennis
Posted by: joso

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/30/13 01:37 PM

Hi

Oh my God. What an akward process...

Here is how to do it:

1. In Windows Explorer, go to the folder with the files.

2. In File Menu select "Command Window as Administartor"

3. Now type at the command line: dir >files.txt

4. Press the Enter key.

Thats all, folks...

Now you have a text file with a list of files. The text file is saved in the folder.

Regards
Jørgen

PS:
Anyone remebering what DOS was... ;-)

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/30/13 02:04 PM

Yep but the little applet is quicker and with more options...also make sure the syntax is correct for DOS commands otherwise it will not work wink You know that Jorgen, but perhaps the OP might not wink

D

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/30/13 02:22 PM

Dennis,

I should have taken your suggestion, but I was in a hurry to make a list for a gig. Thank you, it works almost instantly.

Jorgen

I am sure you are right, but this did the job. Thanks.

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/30/13 02:32 PM

No worries Bernie - it is a terrific little applet I have found smile

About the quickest and easiest out there imho, and I have tried a few wink

Cheers m8
Dennis

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/31/13 03:12 AM

If you use Firefox (not sure if other browsers do this), if you drag a folder into an open Firefox window, it creates a text list of the contents.

Neat!

You know, a simple 'how do I create a text file of a folder's contents?' Google query offers many different solutions.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/31/13 06:11 AM

... I could not count the number of "how do I ..." questions I've asked Google ... grin
Posted by: joso

Re: Convert Midi List To Text List - 01/31/13 08:07 AM

Hi Diki

Originally Posted By: Diki
If you use Firefox (not sure if other browsers do this), if you drag a folder into an open Firefox window, it creates a text list of the contents.
(snip)

Really nice. Did not know this trick...
Thanks

Jørgen