Never thought I'd hear this...

Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 07:08 AM

The other day a long time retirement home client came up to me after my gig and asked if she could get my honest opinion on something. I said of course.

She told me how another high profile, good quality act who's been around a long time had informed her that they were raising their rates if they were expected to interact with the residents. That would now be an extra $30.00. She wasn't kidding.

I told her in the plainest language I could muster that I thought it was ridiculous. I asked her what's next? An upcharge for playing anything not in the key of C? Maybe a special fee for black keys? My god...

She said she thought they were trying to squeeze her and I couldn't disagree.

Thoughts?
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 07:55 AM

If they need more money, they didn't show much tact with how they put it. That was really dumb.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 08:01 AM

I hope she fired them !
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 08:12 AM

DITTO!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 08:58 AM

I've always said "I get paid to set the gear up and break it down, the entertaining I do for free!" ... the INTERACTION is the best part of the gig ...
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 09:37 AM

I generally stay out of giving opinions in that type of situation, because, in essence, any negative remarks by me, especially about my competition for the same venues, and even when seemingly encouraged by my client, may have a detrimental effect down the road.

Doesn't mean they were right, high quality act or not.

As Bill Semi Live implies above, the act may have been high on quality, but, were very short on tact, and, judging from her response to Dayton Billy's plain language opinion that their behaviour was "ridiculous", the Retirement Home client already knew what they were trying to do.

She didn't appear to need any confirmation, and if she needed it, she wouldn't get it from me.

Ian
Posted by: 124

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 10:30 AM

Good to see you back on here, Bill.

Ha ha! Let's hear it for the musical darwinists. I've heard of some dumb moves, but this takes the biscuit. Just when you think you've heard it all, eh?
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I generally stay out of giving opinions in that type of situation, because, in essence, any negative remarks by me, especially about my competition for the same venues, and even when seemingly encouraged by my client, may have a detrimental effect down the road.

Doesn't mean they were right, high quality act or not.

As Bill Semi Live implies above, the act may have been high on quality, but, were very short on tact, and, judging from her response to Dayton Billy's plain language opinion that their behaviour was "ridiculous", the Retirement Home client already knew what they were trying to do.

She didn't appear to need any confirmation, and if she needed it, she wouldn't get it from me.

Ian

I've thought about that angle and for some newer clients, I would've been less comfortable to discuss it. This particular client and I have worked with each other at several different facilities and bottom line, I owe her a straight answer more than I need to hide behind "professionalism." I don't owe the other act anything.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 03:05 PM

Good for you, Billy...you know your situation better than I.

I still stand by my statement that I generally stay out of giving opinions in that type of situation. I don't consider it part of my job to give the client anything more than what I have been hired to do, which is to perform/entertain.

It keeps things nice and simple, and, in my case, has more to do with personal integrity than "professionalism".

Ian

Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/19/12 10:06 PM

Bill,

Interact with old folks, how does that work, you need to be careful what kind of interation they are think of. party
Posted by: Diki

Re: Never thought I'd hear this... - 10/20/12 08:18 AM

Careful, Bill. You may have made it harder for you to up your OWN prices. That the client was asking YOU seems to show that they thought your opinion worthwhile. Maybe you missed an opportunity to catch back up on the plethora of expenses that have risen for you while charges haven't..?

However you couch your increase, if it works, it works.