Gary dodged a Bullet.

Posted by: DonM

Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 08:52 AM

Ol' Travelin' Easy was not traveling easy for a while. He had another heart attack, and had to have some old stents repaired, but he is doing fine.
I just wanted to wish him well and thank him for all his contributions to this and other arranger forums.
DonM
Posted by: brickboo

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 09:11 AM

He Just posted yesterday. When did this happen Don. I talked with him on the phone last week 2 or 3 times.
Posted by: zuki

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 09:14 AM

OMG! Hope you're doing well???
Posted by: hammer

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 09:31 AM

Don,
do you know any of the details? Is he home - in hospital etc..
Deane
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 09:32 AM

I had the heart attack Monday evening, went to the local hospital's ER Tuesday morning, went to University of Maryland Hospital Wednesday morning where surgery was performed at noon that day. Got home Saturday afternoon, I'm weak as a new-born kitten, and have been told to stay away from work until August 10th. Had a rough time in the operating room and nearly took the dirt nap. Hopefully, I'll be well enough to return to normal activities by August 10.

Gary cool
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 09:40 AM

Best of luck Gary, and my sincere hope for your speedy recovery.

chas
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 09:51 AM

Gary,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! You'll probably have to spend more time just lounging on your sailboat, even if it means staying at the the dock or mooring.

We just never know, my wife spent the better part of the month of June hospitalized with a severe case of pancreatitis. There were times it looked as though she wouldn't pull thru, but I'm happy to report she did and like yourself feels very week, but is recovering.
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 09:55 AM

His name wasn't on the buwitt Don... and Gary don't go hitting those high notes too soon, blow your stents out... you take it easy like your name..

Tony

It's like you never been gone???
Posted by: cassp

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 10:29 AM

Gary, my best wishes for you. Having heart disease is an ever-challenging lifestyle. As soon as you start feeling better, it sneaks back up you. Be good and follow the doctor's orders, don't rush things. Take care and God bless.
Posted by: MattyB

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 10:33 AM

I hope your ok Gary. Get well soon...
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 10:45 AM

Rest and heal, know that you are thought of warmly ... wishing you a quick recovery.
Ciao,
Jerry

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 11:05 AM

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone,

Gary cool
Posted by: moldmaker

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 11:18 AM

Gary,
Best wishes...Get well soon....they're are lots of people waiting to hear your beautiful music.
You're in my thoughts & prayers.
Wally
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 11:21 AM

Gary,
I'm sorry to hear about your recent bump in the road.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
- Scott
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 11:30 AM

Gary..... I was just talking to you the other day on the phone I can't believe what I'm reading here ...OMG....old friend I hope you are doing better now & on the mend..I'm shocked to hear this & only wish you the best get well wishes....if I can do anything just shout, I'm there for you as you have always been for me.

"I love you man" ....GET WELL SOON!!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 11:57 AM

So sorry to hear of the heart incident, Gary. Sorry, also to be late in this message. Been overseas on a gig.

Know that you're "the rock" of good sense and knowledge here. It's a shock to hear what happened.

Be careful, and get back up to speed. We need you here.

Russ
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 12:28 PM

Gary, your in my thoughts and prayers..Get well soon!
Posted by: Ron Pierce

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 12:58 PM

Gary,
God Speed. August 10th will be here before you know it. Our prayers are with you.
Ron
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 01:02 PM

Guarisci presto.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 01:14 PM

Get well soon, Gary.
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Ron Pierce
Gary,
God Speed. August 10th will be here before you know it. Our prayers are with you.
Ron

That's the problem the 10th August 2013 will be here before you know it dance2
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 03:57 PM

DAMN !!! I 'lay low' for a couple of days and come back to THIS ?!?!? ... shocked

I can't leave you guys alone for a minute ...

Gary ... Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers ...

Lydia will be putting you on our Church prayer chain for a full and rapid recovery ...

Get well, good friend ...

Be good to one another, folks we don't know what the next second will bring ...
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 05:38 PM

Spoke with Gary tonight ... You would never know he had a problem ... He's one tough ol' fart !!! rocker
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 05:44 PM

Best of health for you, in the future........
Posted by: 124

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/23/12 07:23 PM

Wow, just caught wind of this myself. Gary, hope all goes well for you and that you're back in the groove reallly soon.
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/24/12 02:21 AM

Best wishes Gary. I am confident you will put this behind you.
Posted by: donpatt

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/24/12 06:28 AM

400 gigs a year is way too many! Cut back to 390 or something so you'll have more time for SZ!
Take care, Get well soon.
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/24/12 09:43 AM

Dang, get well! (I still haven't gone to my storage locker.)

Same thing happened to me, Gary, the first stent plugged off. They don't tell you that it happens quite often, lol. We can't take a day granted, can we.

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/24/12 10:07 AM

First and foremost, I wish to sincerely thank everyone for their prayers and well-wishes. I just walked up the hill to the mailbox, a trip of only 500-feet, but all uphill, and it was somewhat difficult. Guess I'm not Superman, but with a fair amount of work on my part I hope to get back in shape within the next couple months.

The doctors told me to loose about 30 pounds, so I've resumed the South Beach Diet program as of this morning. That means cutting out Margarettas, Kickapoo Joy Juice, and Coors Light - at least for the immediate future. I got a head start on the weight loss, dropping 7-pounds during the 5-day hospital stay. 30 pounds will put me down to 180, which is where all the docs said I should be.

I've been reducing my performance schedule, and this year, not counting private parties and an occasional nite-club fill-in job, I'll probably hit about 200 jobs. That's a 50 percent reduction, which I think is pretty significant.

I'm still planning on sailing to the Florida Keys, Dry Tortugas, and maybe, the Bahamas, a voyage of about 4,000 nautical miles that will begin October 1. I was planning on taking my equipment with me and performing in some of the Tiki Bars around Marathon and Big Pine Keys. The docs said if I can build up my physical endurance by October 1, there's no medical reason why I should change my plans, and one of the docs said he would personally fly down to Marathon and give me a physical checkup if I would take him sailing to the Dry Tortugas. We shook hands on that deal. The voyage will last a total of 7-months, and I hope to return to Maryland by April 1 to resume my performance schedule here.

Thanks again, everyone,

Gary cool
Posted by: Diki

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/24/12 10:39 AM

Glad to hear you aren't prevented from performing. I can only dread what most of our lives would end up like if we were unable to do what we love most in life. For many here, that would be performing, or at least playing for ourselves.

Add some sailing in to that, and it looks like life is still treating you well despite the odd setback, Gary.

Good to hear.

Stop by Destin Harbor any time, Gary. I can work on a low-carb Kickapoo Joy Juice substitute in the meantime!

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/24/12 11:32 AM

Thanks Diki, I would really like to make a Gulf crossing from Key West, and if the time frame works out, there's a possibility that we'll be able to meet up again and tilt a few.

Thanks,

Gary cool
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Gary dodged a Bullet. - 07/24/12 02:53 PM

Get well quick my fellow swabbie...it's GQ at 0900 and you need to be ready to man the forward gun mount.