NO BIG HIT THREADS

Posted by: Tony Hughes

NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/06/12 09:40 PM

Hi All.

Have you all notice there are no big hitting threads any more on SZ, I have seen 200 replies in a short space of time to a thread, now 20 will be a busy one, what we need is a new arranger so we can all kick the hell out of the people who buy it. I keep threatening to buy the Kronos but Al says you need another life to be able to program it, I only have half a life now still working at 68. It would be nice to get into something where everyone gets to learn something. The T4 is a hand full and a powerful tool that most people will never get to use all the facilities, we need something we can all get our teeth into, preferable not each other. rotf2

Hope you all enjoy your 4th July calibrations and you didn't get too inebriated, what's the next big celibration??
party
Posted by: bruno123

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 03:59 AM

Tony, you are right on; knowledge helps everyone play/perform better.

John C.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

Have you all notice there are no big hitting threads any more on SZ, I have seen 200 replies in a short space of time to a thread, now 20 will be a busy one, what we need is a new arranger so we can all kick the hell out of the people who buy it.

It appears to me that many of the most recent threads haven't been about arranger instruments, and this being a General Arranger Keyboard Forum, the lack of replies is hardly surprising, Tony.

Most topics posted seem to have a comparatively limited interest such as sax playing, jazz organ, guitar playing, how much money being made, and how many gigs per year, hence the relatively short threads. At any rate, most of these also have been discussed many times in the past. I enjoy most of them, but, they might not be to everyone's taste, and they aren't actually about arranger keyboards.

They do, however, keep the forum going, and that's not a bad thing.

Just as a suggestion, it would be nice to hear how other arranger players use styles of a different genre in tunes that are usually played with another type.

Perhaps you are right, and, there may be more activity when some new arranger instruments are introduced, but that probably won't be till the fall.

I've been busy with other things (trying to get house ready to sell), so I don't have the time I used to have to do much posting, but I do try and peek in and add a reply now and again.

Ian

PS...I really enjoy the arranger music played and posted by The Wolf, Joost and Telmo...they are a real treat and show different types of arranger play, and hats off to Nigel for having this great arranger forum.
Posted by: MattyB

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 08:48 AM

I am still new around here but I will be posting a lot more about different styles and playing skills ect. I get my Pax3 start of Aug...So many videos I will post up..and I will have heaps of questions.

Very very excited to be getting the Pax3!!!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 08:52 AM

Less Off topics will help.....just sayin'

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 08:52 AM

Welcome to SZ, MattyB...yep, more arranger stuff would be great. It would be nice to hear the PA3X. Congrats on your new keyboard to be.

Ian
Posted by: lahawk

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 01:29 PM

OT Threads are better than No Threads

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: lahawk
OT Threads are better than No Threads

Right on, Larry...that's what keeps this place going during the spells between new arrangers.

Tony is right, we need some new gear to ramble on about.

I think we'll see some new Yamaha arrangers after the summer; not sure what Korg or Roland have got on the go.

Ian

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 03:54 PM

I hate to say this but the days of arranger kbs is slowly digressing.......change is coming for sure.
Posted by: MattyB

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 07:34 PM

In what way Dnj?

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I hate to say this but the days of arranger kbs is slowly digressing.......change is coming for sure.

Donny,

You only need buy a Wersi Wing and the World will be your oyster, flexible as American express card, all the KBs you ever dreamed of all rolled into in one. Well that's what they say, if that's true why don't we all have one. Unfortunately, I can't post you a link to someone playing one, the few that have been sold not to SZers, "interesting", at least this is not off topic, or is it!!! Is the Wesri Wing off topic on SZ General Arranger, there is only one man who can tell us.

Have you ever thought of buying one Mi old shipmate??? rotf2 you will never look back Donny, it will play itself, it's that good.

sofa

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: MattyB
I am still new around here but I will be posting a lot more about different styles and playing skills ect. I get my Pax3 start of Aug...So many videos I will post up..and I will have heaps of questions.

Very very excited to be getting the Pax3!!!

MattyB,

I am looking forward to your vidoes, I don't think there as been a SZ member who has bought a Pa3x do any demos, this will be a first, I think if I had not bought the T4 I would have a Pa3x it's one of the best made KB ever, its a hell of an engineering job. Good luck with it this all sounds very positive and thats what we need, thanks for posting MattyB you might turn out to be my new shipmate my old ones either jumped ship, gone down into steerage or stoking the boilers rotf2

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 09:04 PM

Korg is the future.

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/07/12 09:45 PM

Donny,

What makes you say that, it's a sweeping statement, I know it is good but the Tyros 4 will take some beating for sounds and styles and Yamaha could wipe the floor with Korg, the number of T4 sold would put the Pa3x to shame Donny. Give us your angle on it Donny...

Tony
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/08/12 04:16 AM

just because something sells more doesn't make it better.

those plastic bic pens could wipe the floor with Sheaffer & Waterman in terms of sales. Nothing wrong with a Bic pen, but most end up chewed, passed onto the delivery driver and end up in a landfill.

Am I comparing these pen brands to keyboard brands? well if i were - and i am not saying i am, you decide which is which smile

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/08/12 05:36 AM

What makes you say that, it's a sweeping statement,

A sweeping statement with no actual proof Tony...when someone shows me actual sales figures for both companies, then I'll believe it; other than that, it's pure conjecture.

But, I am very glad I bought the Yamaha Tyros4...there does seem to be a plethora of videos of it on YouTube, so that could indicate it's great popularity (certainly the majority of member's uploads here on SZ are done on Tyros4) and it is a very intuitive instrument to play with tons of factory (and third party) support.

All I can say, if my clinics/demos are any indication, the Tyros4 is still selling quite well in my territory...I don't have any info about other places. The salespeople I work with tell me that only a few PA3X's were sold since it's introduction, but that may have a lot to do with differences in promotion policies, as they (Korg) don't do any follow-ups or in-store clinics in my area.

Bottom line? What brand arranger we buy will usually depend on what sounds and styles we want to hear coming from our speakers, what we want in an operating system, the quality of support, portability (if we gig) plus, of course, our budget.

The "best" arranger, in my opinion, is the one that "works best for the player"...both Korg and Yamaha make excellent instruments, so saying that one company is going to be "the future" is just plain silly...it's like predicting what football or baseball team will win next year, although we all hope our "favorite team" will win.

Donny is a Korg user (PA-500) and fan, so it's very predictable that he hopes they will win. wink

I say we are all winners, because the intense competition between these companies has given us better instruments, and features we could only dream of several years ago.

Ian
Posted by: 124

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/08/12 06:56 AM

Nailed it, Ian!
Posted by: scameron

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/08/12 07:15 AM

Hi everyone...i'm a recent member and over the years prior to me becoming a member i would review comments from members of this forum...many of the insights and experiences of members effected my purchases...so for that i have found value in this forum...stevec
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/08/12 07:24 AM

Aahhhh, Tony, you took the bait. Now we have a Big Hit Thread.

You don't know Donny by now? smirk

Donny,

What makes you say that, it's a sweeping statement, I know it is good but the Tyros 4 will take some beating for sounds and styles and Yamaha could wipe the floor with Korg, the number of T4 sold would put the Pa3x to shame Donny. Give us your angle on it Donny...

Tony

Re: NO BIG HIT THREADS - 07/08/12 07:38 AM

Hells Al,

He got me, my mate, wouldn't think he would do that to me would you, I need to get out more as gary once said...Al how are you going on with that Kronos ??? dance2