Posted by: CoasterTim

HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 03:52 PM

It rejects my 8gig SD - "corrupt".
However same card works fine in my KMA.

Any suggestions?
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 03:56 PM

Hi Tim,
my pa800/pa3x use usb sticks so don't really know much about sd on pa500. Maybe it actually needs to be formatted on the pa500 itself??
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 04:24 PM

I echo what Rikki said. The SD Card must be formatted on the Pa500 itself. smile
Posted by: Nick G

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 05:30 PM

Tim,

I did run into the same kind of issues with my PA 500.
there are some brands of SD Cards it simply doesn't like.

Nick

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 06:25 PM

Hi
couldn't have anything to do with sd compared to sdhc cards.
One of my laptops couldn't run the sdhc cards.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 06:30 PM

I've tried Sandisk, Transcend, and PNY SD cards. Can't even format them on the Pa500. On the other hand they work fine on the KMA.

Could it be their capacity (8 & 16 gig)?

Don't think the manual mentions anything about card capacity limits.

Frustrating. If this isn't resolved by tomorrow, the 500 gets sent back Friday.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick G
Tim,

I did run into the same kind of issues with my PA 500.
there are some brands of SD Cards it simply doesn't like.

Nick

Nick, what brand works for you? Thanks for the info.
Posted by: lahawk

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 07:30 PM

Tim,

I'm 99% sure you need the older type SD card, not the newer SDHC and it can be no more than 2 GB. This is similar to the Technics KN7000, both keyboards produced before the newer high capacity SD cards were available.

You need one of these older type SD cards for your older PA500:

------------------------------------------------------------

NOT one of these newer SDHC cards for the newer MicroArranger:

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Good News: The Older SD Cards are cheap.

It may be possible to use the Transcend 4GB SD card on the PA500, but for now I would stick with plain old 2GB SD cards.

Info: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47076&sid=70dbdcdb505169baa553402a4ba676a
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 07:46 PM

I believe Tim is right about this. There should be something in the instruction manual about the card type, but with the manuals it's often difficult to find the information you need. When I first got the PSR-3000 it would not read the USB drives larger than 2-gigs. An OS update changed all that and now I read 8-gig USB drives with ease.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: lahawk
Tim,

I'm 99% sure you need the older type SD card, not the newer SDHC and it can be no more than 2 GB. This is similar to the Technics KN7000, both keyboards produced before the newer high capacity SD cards were available.

You need one of these older type SD cards for your older PA500:

------------------------------------------------------------

NOT one of these newer SDHC cards for the newer MicroArranger:

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Good News: The Older SD Cards are cheap.

It may be possible to use the Transcend 4GB SD card on the PA500, but for now I would stick with plain old 2GB SD cards.

Info: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47076&sid=70dbdcdb505169baa553402a4ba676a

Thanks Larry...I looked through the 283 page manual(printed on paper!) and actually found where they mentioned the 2 gig limit.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 08:05 PM

Interesting to discover that the more recent Pa500 does not recognize SDHC cards, which are essentially higher (over 2 Gb) capacity SD cards, yet
My Korg microARRANGER is essentially a Pa50,
which is a generation older than the Pa500, yet recognizes the higher capacity SDHC card.
My Sandisk brand 8 GB SDHC Card works great with my Korg microARRANGER
so I would have expected it would work on the Pa500 as well.
I was advised that formatting the SD/SDHC card on the keyboard itself critically important.
I was also recommended to purchase Sandisk to assure compatability.

Scott

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 08:07 PM

Hi Tim
"Data Storage Card drive for Secure Digital (SD) and MultiMedia Card (MMC) Memory Devices"

I'm guessing that could be your problem, it mentions SD but not SDHC. Do you still have an old MMC card from a Yammie?

Even if you can only use 2gig sd cards, they'll go an awful long way. Only reason you'd need anything larger would be for sample data which of course the PA500 doesn't load samples anyway.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 08:14 PM

Hi Scott,
Operating System on MicroArranger is PA50, but it is brand new wheras PA500 has been around for at least 2 maybe even 3 years.
There again microarranger manual doesn't mention SDHC either, yet they work??

"Data storage 8MB (>20MB equivalent) Internal Solid State Disk (SSD), SD/MMC card slot."

Plot Thickens.
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
My Korg microARRANGER is essentially a Pa50,
which is older than the Pa500.
My Sandisk brand 8 GB SDHC Card works great with my Korg microARRANGER
so I would expect it would work on the Pa500 as well.
I was advised that formatting the SD/SDHC card on the keyboard itself critically important.
I was also recommended to purchase Sandisk to assure compatability.

Scott

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: rikkibears
There again microarranger manual doesn't mention SDHC either, yet they work??

Hi Rikki,

Yep, the 8 Gb Sandisk SDHC card works great on my microARRANGER.
In fact, on page 130 of the Korg microARRANGER Users manual, it states the following: smile

You can use the following types of cards to save or load data to and from the microARRANGER's internal memory: • SD (High Speed, Ultra II, SDHC) • MMC • MicroSD with an SD adapter • MiniSD with an SD adapter

Note: Before you can use the SD/MMC card, you must format it on the microARRANGER. Don't use your computer or digi‐ tal camera to format (initialize) a card you plan to use with the microARRANGER. If the card was formatted on a different device, it may not work correctly with the microARRANGER

Note: The SD/MMC card is not included. It must be purchased separately.

Note: The microARRANGER supports SD cards with a power supply voltage of 2.7–3.6V.
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: CoasterTim
It rejects my 8gig SD - "corrupt".
However same card works fine in my KMA.

Any suggestions?

I think 8GB might be too big, that's a lot of gigs

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/v...9936bd80b02c66d

Tony

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 09:31 PM

I can understand the original PA500, released in 2008 using the older SD cards, with a 2GB limit, but if they are still manufacturing PA500's in 2012 should they not update the SD storage to accompany the newer, modern SDHC cards with higher capacity?

Am I correct, Korg, updated the original PA50 to the PA50SD to allow for the more modern SDHC cards? IMO, the PA500 should follow, and get with the times.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 09:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks Larry...I looked through the 283 page manual(printed on paper!) and actually found where they mentioned the 2 gig limit.

Just remember regular standard older SD cards @ 2GB max for the PA500
Not the newer SDHC (HIGH CAPACITY) cards that can be used in the Micro.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 09:56 PM

I don't see the problem, those old cards are really dirt cheep, cost a few dollars for 2GB.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Bachus
I don't see the problem, those old cards are really dirt cheep, cost a few dollars for 2GB.

I agree with you Bachus, I would not be sending KB back just because on that, never seen so much post about a SD Card... almost as much as "JERKY DEMOS" juggle just wait and see if I drop one?

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 02/29/12 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: lahawk
Quote:

Just remember regular standard older SD cards @ 2GB max for the PA500
Not the newer SDHC (HIGH CAPACITY) cards that can be used in the Micro.

"IF IN DOUBT READ THE DESTRUCTIONS" all 283 pages of it.. rotf2

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/01/12 12:10 AM

Hi Scott,
I didn't check thru manual in detail, just one of the last pages that gives a brief summary. Anyway by looks of things, all sorted out.

As I mentioned further up about these cards, I actually ended up buying sdhc card for my laptop. Couldn't use it till a couple of years later when I got a new laptop. haahaa.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/01/12 12:15 AM

Amazing the prices of these cards nowadays. Remember when I bought my KN7000, my first card was 8mb's, my second one was 64mb's & cost me approx $64. Looked after them like they were GOLD. haahaa
Posted by: john smies

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/01/12 12:37 AM

Tim,

Sorry, but am reading SZ only now and all the turbulence about the SD card.
1/ As mentioned by Scott any card must be formatted on the PA500 itself
2/ Any simple and preferably older SD card will do.
3/ Any card should be 2Gb max.

Don't understand why anyone would want to use a 4 or 8Gb anyway.
You need literally hundreds of thousands of styles , performances and sounds to fill up 1Gb !!! Only if you would include masses of midifiles you would run into problems with one 2Gb card............................

Keep us posted !!

regards,
John

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/01/12 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: john smies

Tim,

Sorry, but am reading SZ only now and all the turbulence about the SD card.
1/ As mentioned by Scott any card must be formatted on the PA500 itself
2/ Any simple and preferably older SD card will do.
3/ Any card should be 2Gb max.

Don't understand why anyone would want to use a 4 or 8Gb anyway.
You need literally hundreds of thousands of styles , performances and sounds to fill up 1Gb !!! Only if you would include masses of midifiles you would run into problems with one 2Gb card............................

Keep us posted !!

regards,
John

John,
I only have 8gig and higher on hand for use in my cameras. An 8 gig works in my micro, so I assumed it would work in the 500. After more hunting through the huge manual (printed on real paper!) I did find what you have said - no more than 2 gig. I'll be picking one up after work today.
Then I'll be trying out your tweaks for the 500.

Thanks for keeping up with me.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/01/12 07:43 AM

Tim,

Like John said 2GIG will bury you, you won't fill it and if you do get another 2 GIG...

Tony
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/01/12 12:00 PM

Suzuki Piano's are the same - 2GB limit, but it would take a long time to fill it with MIDI & setup files anyway! Our Wii is also limited to 2GB.
Posted by: Henni

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/03/12 01:43 PM

Hi all,

Just bought a Korg Pa50SD. I also bought a 4GB Elite Pro SD card. It formats and works fine on the Korg to SD, but I cannot write to it using a laptop and Windows7.

Any ideas? Downloaded all the styles and other files I could find and already I'm at over 4GB. So keen to try out the new styles...

Henni

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/04/12 02:23 PM

Henni

Sorry, I'm a little confused. You have over 4GB of files on a 4GB card? Well I suspect not, as that would be impossible. smirk

As far as being able to write to the card with Windows 7, what exactly is the error message?

I hope you checked the obvious, and it isn't write protected.

Another thought, Windows 7 can use the card to speed up your your laptop (Ready Boost), and if you enabled that, you can't write to the card.

Make sure it's not checked in Properties.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/04/12 11:57 PM

Hi Larry,

See how many styles I've converted & uploaded for the Yamaha series. I am computer literate.

I've downloaded over 4GB info for my new Korg which is currently residing on my laptop. Now I need to get this info transferred onto my SD card.

I went yesterday and purchased two other different makes 2GB SD Cards. My Korg reads neither.

I'm lost for words. My Yamaha use a usb stick without any problems. What's up with this SD Card reader?

Henni

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/05/12 05:07 AM

Henni,

Have you formatted the card in the Korg!!!!

Tony

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/05/12 05:13 AM

Yes Tony, I did. One did format, but windows 7 fails to write to it. Also, once I've formatted with the Korg, Windows can no longer access or format it. My keyboard is brand new, I doubt if it is the cause of the problem.

I have so many new styles to try out...

Henni

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/05/12 06:13 AM

Henni,

May I suggest you simply transfer some of your Korg data onto another computer, e.g. by sending a small file to your nearest friend or neighbour and checking out whether if can download the file onto the SD card and get it going on your Korg ? At least then you will know for sure the fault rests with your laptop and/or windows version.......................................

regards,
John

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/05/12 07:45 AM

I think like John is suggesting this may well be a windows 7 problem, have you got another PC not Windows 7

Tony

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/05/12 08:47 AM

Anyway, since I started this thread, I guess I should mention that I went out and bought a 2gig SD card and how my Pa500 and I are happy.
Now all I gotta do is decide if I want to keep the 500.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/05/12 09:21 AM

Any reason why you would not at that price Tim ?
Have you had time to try out my specific Resources set for the PA500 which I sent you over a week ago ?
One drawback may be that with both the Micro and the PA500 you have very similar instruments. As you know I have matched my current PA800 with a Yamaha PSR-S900 and , sorry if it begins to sound like a mantra, I am every so pleased with the combination.

regards,
John

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/05/12 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: john smies

Any reason why you would not at that price Tim ?
Have you had time to try out my specific Resources set for the PA500 which I sent you over a week ago ?
One drawback may be that with both the Micro and the PA500 you have very similar instruments. As you know I have matched my current PA800 with a Yamaha PSR-S900 and , sorry if it begins to sound like a mantra, I am every so pleased with the combination.

regards,
John

John, I have begun to try your resources and I'm enjoying the way they expand the potential of both keyboards. So thanks again. Really appreciate your work and generosity. By the way, I am keeping the 500. I have a year to pay it off without interest. That helps. I'd love to get the psr 910, but hesitate since rumors are flying about a 950 coming in several months.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/05/12 02:22 PM

Hi,
good for you Tim.

BTW offer still stands if you want some more styles. I've got some that I downloaded thru various sites, they sort of work ok, but I never got round to tweaking them ( I only tweak what I plan to use)
but I've also got about 20 or so that I converted or put together for myself & other Korg forum members that I beleive should work quite well in the pa500. Some of them are yammie conversions.

You've probably got your hands full with John's resources, but if you want them, let me know.
Originally Posted By: CoasterTim
By the way, I am keeping the 500. I have a year to pay it off without interest. That helps. I'd love to get the psr 910, but hesitate since rumors are flying about a 950 coming in several months.

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/08/12 10:25 AM

Hi all,

Tx for the help. The 2GB Scandisc card as per the pic did it for me!

Just an update on my new Korg Pa50SD. I will in no way knock Yamaha as a T4 is still my heart's desire, but...

I went through most of the add on styles on the web. Some are excellent!!! For half the price of what I paid new for my PSR3K, it feels as if I bought a Tyros 4. The sounds on the Pa50SD are really, but really much, much better than that of my PSR3k.

I am elated. I owned a korg i3, i5 & i30 before and I'm once again becoming a great Korg fan. It is superb value for money.

If you have an older Yamaha or other brand like me & cannot afford a newer one, I would motivate this option. It was the absolute BEST money I've spent in a very long time & it will keep me occupied and satisfied for a long time to come. I believe the Korg Micro Arranger is even cheaper with exactly the same styles and sounds as the Pa50 & even the Pa80.

All the best,

Henni

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/08/12 11:25 AM

Henni

Thanks for the update, and your thoughts on the PA50SD.
Something to think about as I too have the 3000...and getting bored with it sleep

I still don't know why your Windows7 laptop could not write to an SD card. I have the same setup and I have no problem with ANY type or size SD Card

Tim.

Are you filling in for "buy, sell and trade" Donny ? grin

Re: HELP - my Pa500 doesn't like my SD card - 03/08/12 12:32 PM

Hi Tim,

Win7 writes to this new card, no problem.

As for the Pa50SD - I'm not joking. With the new styles it is a HUGE upgrade fom my PSR3K. The sounds are really so much better. What I like most are the pianos and distortion guitars. The others are fantastic also, but I hardly use those.

The modified styles for the Technics, Rolands and Solton sounds so much better and realistic than on my Yamaha. It's like completely new styles although I use those very often on my PSR3K.

Honestly, I haven't touch my Yamaha since the Pa80SD. Plus most of the new styles are much longer in bars than those I have for the Yamaha and hence they sound live and real and not boring at all! I like everything more, even the fill-ins. The styles are so good that I hardly miss my multipads. Sure, you have to hit the fill ins at exactly the right spot, but if you do the results are fantastic. I always use intro's an ending's over & over when I play and even this works fantastic on the Korg.

What I'm going to do next is to replace all the onboard styles with the ones I've downloaded and liked. That means 304 of my favorite styles plus 48 user styles right on board.

When I'm done it will be the arranger that I've always wanted. Unlike for the Yamaha, I found all the styles, sounds and other resources on one site, more than 4GB of it. I've auditioned roughly 40% of those new styles and many are of extremely high quality. Sure there must be more around and I don't as yet have the tools to downgrade the styles from the later Korg models to work. I've tweaked and uploaded more than one hundred thousand styles for the Yamahas. I might just do the same for the Korgs if I can find the right tools.

I'm really blown away by this all for now.

Keep well my friend,
Henni