SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1

Posted by: Dnj

SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 08:32 AM

This is a nice demonstration of how you can play a song in so many "different styles" good way to practice also. It's all in the timing....I do this all the time.....it's the beauty of using an arranger KB. I miss my SD1+ sold to a guy in Scotland.This may not be the greatest recorded demo BUT you get the idea..........In my studio I often experiment with one song using almost every style on the arranger just for fun.. grin
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 10:09 AM

I remember the Gem DSK-8 did just that - the demos were "The Saints Go Marching In"..played as a swing, bossanova, disco, reggae..etc..etc.

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
I remember the Gem DSK-8 did just that - the demos were "The Saints Go Marching In"..played as a swing, bossanova, disco, reggae..etc..etc.

It's a GREAT Exercise to improve you timing & get your creative juices flowing in different directions.
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 10:52 AM

Donny,

I just tried singing the same song in waltz time, it didn't appear to work, whats do you think is wrong! taz perhaps it's the keyboard. headphone

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,

I just tried singing the same song in waltz time, it didn't appear to work, whats do you think is wrong! taz perhaps it's the keyboard. headphone

Tony keep practicing ANY SONG can easily be recreated & done in ANY TIME SIGNATURE with a little ingenuity.
Posted by: DonM

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 11:03 AM

Tony, the OTHER Lucille is in 3/4 time. "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, with four horny children and a crop in the field . . "
Or was that hungry children?
DonM

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
Tony, the OTHER Lucille is in 3/4 time. "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, with four horny children and a crop in the field . . "
Or was that hungry children?
DonM

Heres Kenny singing Lucille "Pre Plastic surgery" surprised

But I'll always be a fan of Kenny Rogers great Entertainer & Singer! He was a good looking guy should of left well enough alone.. frown
Posted by: 124

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 02:41 PM

Yeah, you got that right. It's Dolly that needs the knife.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 06:19 PM

Saw Kenny at Providence Civic Center MANY years ago ... great show ...

BTW ... I would be surprised if there are many KB players who DON'T do this ... as Donny says, this is the beauty of an arranger kb ...
Playing steady gigs in restaurants as I have done for over a year at a time, along with trying to keep a 'fresh' playlist, you need to 'change things up' with some of the songs that are 'constants' ... playing them in different styles is one easy way to do that ...

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Saw Kenny at Providence Civic Center MANY years ago ... great show ...

BTW ... I would be surprised if there are many KB players who DON'T do this ... as Donny says, this is the beauty of an arranger kb ...
Playing steady gigs in restaurants as I have done for over a year at a time, along with trying to keep a 'fresh' playlist, you need to 'change things up' with some of the songs that are 'constants' ... playing them in different styles is one easy way to do that ...

Tony I agree..changing styles on songs especially night after night = less boredom. grin good points.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/06/12 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

Exactly, Tony...I do a lot of jazz ballad standards in 3/4 time instead of slow swing, and I also switch a few 3/4 tunes (like Moon River) to a slow jazz ballad in 4/4.

Lots of light Rock tunes work very well with Bossa and Rumba styles, and even some Country tunes work pretty good with them as well.

I usually devote a bit of my practice time on the Tyros4 to style swapping...and, it's fun too!

I love doing restaurant work.

Ian

Re: SAME SONG but using Differnt Styles demo....SD1 - 02/07/12 01:56 PM

Nice Whiter Shade of pear in a Rumba on a Roland VA7!