Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo?

Posted by: Dnj

Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 01:55 PM

Is anyone really using these voices to play a song.....? confused1
aside from some jazz tunes I don't see where this fits in...
I love the sound of the T4 but if I had one IO would never use these doo bee doo things, they scare me surprised ....just my personal opinion.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I love the sound of the T4 but if I had one IO would never use these doo bee doo things, they scare me surprised ....just my personal opinion.

Their use is directly proportional to the amount of creativity in the player.

They scare you?

You scare pretty easy, Donny.

Ian

PS...there are quite a few types, abnd they do sound pretty good behind real vocals, I hear. Again, just like anything else (multipads etc), it will depend on user's imagination.

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 02:05 PM

Ian they just sound so karaokingly hokey sorry. bounce
I wish they would have spent the R&D money on a better VH unit instead, & a joystick instead of a wheel... Im trying to love the T4 but I take 3 steps forward and 4 steps back....for my needs..

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 02:12 PM

I wish they would have spent the R&D money on a better VH unit instead, & a joystick instead of a wheel... Im trying to love the T4 but I take 3 steps forward and 4 steps back....for my needs..

Donny, they sell every Tyros4 they make, so they are doing something right...in fact, it is rumored T4 sold more units than T3 and T2 together.

You may not agree with Yamaha's decisions, but you can't argue with their success.

Ian

PS...I don't think you'll buy a Tyros4 Donny...the mighty T4 is just not for you. Close the book, turn out the light. wink

PSS...I love the wheels...just like the classic MiniMoog, and many other landmark synths...perfect for my needs...joystick modulation can't be left on as it is spring loaded...not good for my needs.

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Donny, they sell every Tyros4 they make, so they are doing something right...in fact, it is rumored T4 sold more units than T3 and T2 together.

You may not agree with Yamaha's decisions, but you can't argue with their success.

Ian

PS...I don't think you'll buy a Tyros4 Donny.

PSS...I love the wheels...just like the classic MiniMoog, and many other landmark synths...perfect for my needs...joystick modulation can't be left on as it is spring loaded...not good for my needs.

YOU never know what I'll do Ian...but I know one thing ....what ever I play will sound great somehow some way as I look back in my picture albums It's amazing how many different Kb's I have performed with thru the years, but the music is successful always. I enjoy a Joystick better, great for guitars, etc,... I remember years ago in an interim period I borrowed Frans Casio WK3000 76 to take on a gig hooked to a Midjay lol.. keys rotfl

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 02:28 PM

YOU never know what I'll do Ian...but I know one thing ....what ever I play will sound great somehow some way as I look back in my picture albums It's amazing how many different Kb's I have performed with thru the years, but the music is successful always.

Well, Donny, you sure made that KMA sound pretty darn good (I haven't heard better), and I'm sure you could do the same with any instrument.

However, I just can't imagine you with a Tyros4. Maybe a Korg PA-3X? You like the Korg sound, styles, and OS.

Ian

PS...Is your S910 sold and gone??

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 02:33 PM

YOU never know what I'll do Ian...but I know one thing ....what ever I play will sound great somehow some way as I look back in my picture albums It's amazing how many different Kb's I have performed with thru the years, but the music is successful always.

Well, Donny, you sure made that KMA sound pretty darn good (I haven't heard better), and I'm sure you could do the same with any instrument.

However, I just can't imagine you with a Tyros4. Maybe a Korg PA-3X? You like the Korg sound, styles, and OS.

Ian

Yes to tough choices each have things they other doesn't...
in the end I have to weigh the plus & minus. Would have been an easy choice until I started to hear rumors of Yamaha releasing some new offerings this coming summer.... I know one thing any KB without a VOC processor is not on my list at this time..

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 02:39 PM

I know one thing any KB without a VOC processor is not on my list at this time..

Donny, don't you have an external Vocal processor?

Did you sell that as well?

Ian
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 02:54 PM

I actually use the Gospel Hmmmm voices for the breakdown in Elvis Presley suspicious minds @ 1:47 in this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBmAPYkPeYU

Drives the Audience nuts; they love it!

I would LOVE to get those Yodeling voices for my own personal enjoyment!! hahaha It cracks me up everytime I hear them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8m7BZaNRug&feature=player_embedded

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 03:10 PM

I know one thing any KB without a VOC processor is not on my list at this time..

Donny, don't you have an external Vocal processor?

Did you sell that as well?

Ian

I either sing thru the S910 or thru my Mackie Pro Fx8 mixer ...I sold all my VH units Digitech VR/ Harmony M, etc..

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
I actually use the Gospel Hmmmm voices for the breakdown in Elvis Presley suspicious minds @ 1:47 in this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBmAPYkPeYU

Drives the Audience nuts; they love it!

I would LOVE to get those Yodeling voices for my own personal enjoyment!! hahaha It cracks me up everytime I hear them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8m7BZaNRug&feature=player_embedded

I could see a use for the choirs, but those doo bee doos just not my cup of tea.

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 03:14 PM

I either sing thru the S910 or thru my Mackie Pro Fx8 mixer ...I sold all my VH units Digitech VR/ Harmony M, etc..

So, you still have your S910?

I thought had sold, or were selling, it.

And if you get a Tyros4, don't use those doo bee doos. wink

Ian

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 03:38 PM

So, you still have your S910?

I thought had sold, or were selling, it.

And if you get a Tyros4, don't use those doo bee doos. wink

Ian

Yes Ian I still have the S910 at this time...it's still for sale..after talking to many of my pro player friends who have & perform on stage with a KORG Pa3x.....I will most likely getting a PA3x also when I can. It was a tug of war between the T4/Pa3x both excellent...but, the KORG offers me more features for my needs.

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 03:55 PM

You wouldn't go wrong with a PA3X...great instrument.

Ian
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 03:57 PM

The doo wops were onboard the Technics KN-7000 from way back in '02

Sounds similar to the T-4? Maybe the same design person?

I agree Don , the do wop can be a little annoying, if over used, but also agree with Ian that it has it's place in certain situations.

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 04:01 PM

Old technology in the T4 also like the KMA? no way.. rolleyes
just kidding I miss some of the things my KN5000 had too like the great Multipads FX.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 04:35 PM

Donny,

Don't buy the T4--at least not until after I retire. I don't want you sounding better than me! wink

Good luck on whatever you decide upon old friend,

Gary cool

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Donny,

Don't buy the T4--at least not until after I retire. I don't want you sounding better than me! wink

Good luck on whatever you decide upon old friend,

Gary cool

lol Gary.....I know once your down south you gonna killem in those Tiki bars !! Just hit em with some James Buffet medleys!! wink
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/30/12 10:27 PM

Is anyone really using these voices to play a song.....? confused1
aside from some jazz tunes I don't see where this fits in...

Donny,

If you ever buy a T4 and DOO SHOO BEE DOO or WHAT SHOULD WE DO offends you reprogram the latter to do WHAT SHOULD I DO answered by put the T4 on ebay, never try and change a time honoured tradition. I know the guy playing went a bit over the top with YMCA I wouldn’t play it like that “Strangers in the night” may be or at Christmas Rudolf the Red nosed Reindeer. They got something right they sell 1000s

Soo Bee Doo-ny, you see Yamaha even thought of Yoo Doo-ny, you know you want one get down the yami dealer today.

Regards

Tony.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/31/12 08:34 PM

My ANCIENT kn6000 has a "Girls Doo Wah" voice among others ... I have never used it ... plus, I've never taken the time to figure out when the 'Doo' changes to 'Wah' or vice versa ... there is also a 'Bob's Scat' voice which I have used on occasion in unison with a jazz flute or jazz guitar voice on tunes like "Blue Bossa", "Summer Samba", etc. ... but never for more than one time through the tune ...
Posted by: DonM

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 01/31/12 10:46 PM

The scat voices on Roland are wonderful. You can press lightly for doo, a little harder for wop, and still harder for pow. You can control the "words" with key pressure. Works great on E50, E89 G70 and BK7m.
DonM
Posted by: Karmathanever

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/01/12 01:33 AM

Quote:
Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo

Lots of fun - very impressive the first time you play it to someone and then what....................?????

Great marketing Yam, but some improvements to that old old Tyros OS would have been much more appreciated......

Pete smile
Posted by: jwyvern

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/01/12 08:37 AM

Yamaha provided a large no. of scat type voices, and for me most of them are to be avoided apart from curiosity. Being very selective can help, trying to avoid those that are very repetitive and especially those that promote the "annoyingly intrusive sibilance of Shoo" wink
If you get the right mix of voices they can be very responsive,
and can be addictive to play in the privacy of your own home, although not maybe to push your luck in a public performance!

Here's an mp3 of some doodles using an ensemble of different voices in R1,2,3 and the Left voice. There's no multi recording/overdubbing involved.

http://www.box.com/s/4c5466yv3gg6fr22v97n

John
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/01/12 09:01 AM

Good points John,

I use the Latin Voices on the chorus of Girl From Ipanema and it really gives a nice fullness feel to the song. Like everything else, somethings are appropriate, and some are not. But I like you, like to have some fun at times!!!

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/01/12 10:41 AM

Nice work, John...you use those voices properly.

Like anything else, that is so easily turned into a novelty, the "voices" must be used sparingly and judiciously.

You certainly haven't lost your touch...good to see you posting.

Ian

PS...I'm glad I popped in...no work today...snow, and lots of it.
Posted by: 124

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/01/12 06:58 PM

Head west, Ian. One cold snap all winter, just two weeks ago. Setting records here. +7 by Friday. Pass the sunblock. :-)

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/01/12 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 124
Head west, Ian. One cold snap all winter, just two weeks ago. Setting records here. +7 by Friday. Pass the sunblock. :-)

A guy from Ontario was talking to a Cape Bretoner about playing golf during the various seasons of the year.

" The courses close down, and we don't play in the winter time...we have to wait until spring."

"Why, on Cape Breton Island we can even play in the winter time. Snow and cold are no object to us," said the Cape Bretoner.

"Well, what do you do, paint your balls orange?" asked the guy from Ontario.

"No," said the Cape Bretoner, "We just put on an extra sweater or two."

Ian

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/02/12 06:10 AM

Regarding this winter golf thing....

I know DonM, who is an avid golfer, will probably chime in and tell us that your shots travel a greater distance if your balls are warm. wink

This seems to bear this out... http://www.lifeintherough.com/2008/02/16/golf-balls-and-cold-weather/

This has lead to some of the winter playing locals demanding ball warmers in their golf carts (along with snow tires for the really bad days), and some players even have their caddies hold their balls in their bare hands to keep them warm. wink

In fact, some old timers have been known to stuff one or two balls down inside their winter boots, but apparently this leads to a bit of discomfort on longer courses. wink

All in all, dedicated golfers in Cape Breton are a hardy bunch indeed. wink

Ian

Posted by: 124

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/02/12 03:27 PM

And those ball-washers are always positioned too high for me.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/02/12 03:50 PM

Here are the Roland "Scat" in use..the backing track was recorded about 9 years ago...
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/02/12 04:07 PM

John and Fran ... 2 well put together demos ... thnx,

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/02/12 04:09 PM

Aside from the recording being a bit bassy thru my Studio monitors wink ......the quality of the Vocal Scats surpasses anything I've heard in any arranger KB and that's no surprise as Roland is the KING of SCATS! clap

Thanx

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/02/12 04:30 PM

Not bad, Fran, not bad at all...in fact rather good.

Better than the Yamaha?

Nope...just different.

Ian
Posted by: jwyvern

Re: Doo Wiop Shoo Bee Doo? - 02/03/12 08:34 AM

Yes I like it Fran smile
At first I thought the whole thing was a scat voice or two. But on reflection is the male voice in the foreground a real live person?

John