A reason to go to church

Posted by: Bachus

A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 09:34 AM

Overhere in holland Church is just plain old dull...

Now this would make me go to church every sunday again.

Amen....
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 10:00 AM

GET DOWN bruthas and sistahs! Haha, I am reminded of the film "Leap Of Faith" and Steve Martin. A *great* movie, btw.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 10:05 AM

Does ANYONE do 'Gospel' better ?!?!? bow
Posted by: Irishacts

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 10:48 AM

So strange to see that and think this is people at Church.

It's soooo different to how things are here in Europe.

Regards
James
Posted by: Dnj

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 11:05 AM

One time my good friend friend went to a Baptist church with some office workers as he was invited for services ....as a catholic it was his first time....he told me when he walked in a nice lady had a box of Tambourines and gave him one...my friend said
"Whats that for?"
the kind lady said "Oh honey your gonna need it for sure!" grin

little by little he told me the service became something like your seeing in this great video....before he knew it he was standing, jumping, and having a great time ! dance

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Irishacts

Regards
James

James, that is black folks church. FAR different from white folks church, which is probably much akin to what you are accustomed to. Except, there are some white folks over here who sing to snakes and 'speak in tongues' and all kinds of wild stuff. The black folks, they boogie and wail and really carry on.

I am always amused when people say "If nothing else, it's worth going just for the music." Uh, yeah, that's the reason you should go, haha.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic

Regards
James

James, that is black folks church. FAR different from white folks church, which is probably much akin to what you are accustomed to. Except, there are some white folks over here who sing to snakes and 'speak in tongues' and all kinds of wild stuff. The black folks, they boogie and wail and really carry on.

I am always amused when people say "If nothing else, it's worth going just for the music." Uh, yeah, that's the reason you should go, haha.

Thats not what i said, we all beleive in our own way, i just dont see any reason to go to church, but this, showing devotion and emotion just seems great...
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 11:58 AM

Organ greats like Billy Preston got their start doing gospel.

Fantastic music...real "soul" music indeed.

Ian
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 12:06 PM

Guess I must be gettin' old, but the first half of the vid seemed almost boring, and the second half seemed somewhat redundant.

Gary cool
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Guess I must be gettin' old, but the first half of the vid seemed almost boring, and the second half seemed somewhat redundant.
It might be less about age, but perhaps simply a different religious denomination than yours. grin

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic

Regards
James

Thats not what i said, we all beleive in our own way, i just dont see any reason to go to church, but this, showing devotion and emotion just seems great...

I wasn't picking at you, I forgot you even said what you said. I was speaking of people around here who say that, and quite often. (I don't go to church any more but I got the ten-year perfect attendance pin from the Southern Baptist Church, which fried my brain forever with the fire and brimstone. Now, if I would've had my choice before leaving home, I sure would've rather gone to a black church! Heck, that's where every R&B/soul player got his/her start!)
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 12:30 PM

There is a similar church in Lexington, where jazz musicians go to try to get a gig. The organist is a 90 pound 85 year old lady, who COOKS!

R.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
There is a similar church in Lexington, where jazz musicians go to try to get a gig. The organist is a 90 pound 85 year old lady, who COOKS!

R.

Great, Russ, I love good cooking! I'm always hungry.

Oh wait...oh....that kind of COOKIN'...love that as well. wink

One of my best buds growing up was a gospel player...showed me a lot on the B-3...the ultimate Hammond!

Ian
Posted by: montunoman

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 02:28 PM

Some of America's greatest talent got their start in the black churches.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 02:33 PM

I'm Catholic and yeah, the music is kind of boring. From time to time we go to a prodominitly black Catholic church in South Dallas and you can really feel the difference.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/28/12 05:47 PM

There are many kinds of church because there are so many different kinds of people, each one trying their best to find their way to the top of the mountain.

I have attended many of this same type of church; their music is soulful like their faith.

I was booked to tune a piano in a black church, I got there at noon and they had just started a service. I took a seat on the side and tried not to be conspicuous, I think I was trying not to be in their way. Three members left the stage and invited me to join them. All black and one whitey. I got hugs smiles and welcome brother. No drums or keyboards, in no instruments at all – I could not believe the sound and excitement and emotion – fantastic. I tried my best – I settled for just being there.

John C.
Posted by: Karmathanever

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/29/12 05:34 AM

Awesome playing.

Music - the most powerful spiritual medium in the world - all ages, nationalities, beliefs just get absorbed into this one true beautiful language.
The Power of Music -
- it can make you laugh
- it can make you cry
- it can resurrect memories that you thought had gone forever
- it can make you happy
- it can make you relax
- it can make you angry
- ......... etc......etc.........

Love it....

Pete laugh
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/29/12 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: montunoman
I'm Catholic and yeah, the music is kind of boring. From time to time we go to a prodominitly black Catholic church in South Dallas and you can really feel the difference.

Paul ... I am Roman Catholic also, and in our church we have gone full circle from organ/choir to folk back to organ/choir, but now the organ is a huge pipe organ with an unbelievable sound ... while I fully enjoyed the 'lighter' folk type music, the full choir and organ is very inspirational ... I compare the difference to classical music vs. folk or pop ...
A few years ago my wife and I were in North Carolina ... not being familiar with the area I checked for a RC church on the GPS ... it led us to what we found was a RC church in a black community ... unfortunately, we did not arrive in time for the full Mass, which we regretted, if for no reason other than the fact that while the music selections were mostly what we were familiar with, the 'delivery' certainly had a different 'vibe' ...
Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/29/12 02:20 PM

Different people praise our Lord in different ways. I thought the jazz performance was outstanding, and obviously touched the people there. Have a look at the music in our main campus church service, for a special occasion admittedly.

http://www.firstassemblyministries.com/videoaudio.php

Watch the January 22 service, the music is all at the beginning of the service. I think this might be in between the jazz soul and the traditional. Works for me anyway.

Blessings

Graham
Posted by: Mockie

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/29/12 02:59 PM

Regards
James

If this was available in Ireland I would change my religion tomorrow. Amazing, and spiritually uplifting, this is why we go to church. Have a look at the elderly lady in pink (4.43) with the black hat, grooving away.
Posted by: Machetero

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/29/12 05:54 PM

In the US and Latin America some churches have great worship services.

Here are some:

Pastor Clint Brown, Orlando, Florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRs1OSIXbQc&feature=related

and

In the Christian Spanish Church of Lakewood, Houston with Pastor Marcos Witt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLxDgO8x8Ds&feature=related

Latin Salsa in a Church Service (vocals could be better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLU8qFS-pg
Posted by: zuki

Re: A reason to go to church - 01/29/12 06:27 PM

I like Joel Osteen's band, but hey, they're all award winning musicians. Those arrangements are beautiful.